Fifth year candidates begin to emerge

Feb 28, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

Dan McCarty

News broke earlier in the week that walk-on special teams ace Chris Salvi was being rewarded with a scholarship. Now Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune has the list of fifth-year candidates that will go before the Faculty Board on Athletics for approval to return for next season.

Hansen reports that six seniors are in the final process of returning for next season: center Braxston Cave, center Mike Golic Jr., wide receiver John Goodman, defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore, safety Dan McCarthy, and safety Jamoris Slaughter.

Cave, Lewis-Moore and Slaughter all spent significant time in the starting lineup last season, and their return was all but assumed. Sean Cwynar, who shared starting duties at nose guard with Louis Nix, had already decided not to return for a fifth season, though he would’ve likely been welcomed back. Goodman and Golic had also long been rumored to be returning, with Goodman providing senior depth at wide receiver while Golic has the opportunity to play the super-sub role Andrew Nuss filed last year as a graduate student.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the return of McCarthy. In mid-November, it appeared that McCarthy was preparing himself for life after football, with the finance major ready to tackle the job market in his senior profile by the university’s school newspaper The Observer. But with the Irish recruiting class coming up short on a few targets, McCarthy will add veteran depth in the secondary, a position grouping that’s losing three of four starters and needs to replace captain Harrison Smith.

It’s been mentioned before and bears mentioning again that McCarthy’s older brother Kyle, now with the Kansas City Chiefs, was a near anonymous special teams player until his senior season, when he ascended into a starting role and then captained the squad during his fifth year. With new safeties coach Bobby Elliott getting his first look at the depth chart, there’s a chance McCarthy could battle for the nickel job and capitalize on the athleticism that made him the high school player of the year in Ohio his senior season.

Here’s a look at the projected 2012 Irish scholarship roster, broken down by class:

Graduate Students (7)

KeiVarae Russell
Tee Shepard
Elijah Shumate
Ronnie Stanley
John Turner

1. jerseyshorendfan1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I hope they don’t put Goody in charge of teaching Neal how to return punts in the college game.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM

14 thumbs down? You idiots must like fair catches and no return game.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

P.S. You forgot Golson.

3. jerseyshorendfan1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

P.P.S. And isn’t Badger coming back from his mission?

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

It is believed so, but I’m not sure there has been contact between ND and Badger. Someone wrote an article on his return – may have been Mr. Arnold here back in Dec/Nov. that communication is difficult because Mr. Badger is somewhere where he cannot be in touch with anyone. The facts are loose but I think I’m close on that.

He would likely need to do a ton of conditioning to be in game shape. Doubt he’ll be ready for fall if he is at ND.

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Contrary to what someone else wrote here, I’m pretty sure I read a while back that Badger has been in contact with BK, is working out now, has a ways to go, but they’re planning on him being there this summer.

Or did I dream that?

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

nudey,

i saw that somewhere too

4. dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

We’ve gotta have the record number of white players as DB’s….isn’t 1 enough?

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Is there a chance, sometime in the near future, you could permanently avoid playing the role of “The Jerk”? Save us all from having to blot out your “Being Stupid” moments on a national board.

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Hi Jim. My apologies. I just started on Cymbalta and my psychologist told me that I need to let out all my thoughts.

To sum up what I think about you and yours, please look up the lyrics to big dumb sax by soundgarden.

My apologies once again for speaking up against unified communistic voices on this board. Put it mildly, you are like the kim jong il of this board.

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I’m on record as a dickasman supporter. Yes, it requires weaving oneself through some crazy stuff, but still … good man.

We need him here to counterbalance the ones who take this overly serious, like we’re engaged in re-writing the Magna Carta.

Like jimbasil

• 4irish - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

For the most part I just come to this board to read Kieth’s excellent work and some very well thought out comments by posters, save you.

You are more and more of an embarrassment to this board and an insult to the work that Keith does.

I’m guessing you live by the motto, “ignorance is bliss”, because it’s a constant with you.

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

4irish, is it ok to be a diehard ND fan without being completely brainwashed?
        4irish, is it ok to be a diehard inside the irish fan without doing quadriple kiss a$$ triple lutz?

If you answered yes to both, thank you. If not, go google the same song I asked Jim to google and there you have it.

Domo Arigatio Mista Robato!

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM

4irish
        Maybe mix in some more fiber and bran, starting tomorrow?

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

hey dont forget Nude’s “contributions” – douche

when is the last time you have seen a white shutdown corner?

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM

You’ve enlightened us once again Jimmy the Greek. Thanks.

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Domer, you have done something to me that no one has ever done to me…”brought an *e-tears* to my eyes” and I thank you for that.

I wonder how much of his life savings Jimbobs has lost on wall street? If he has any to lose at all.

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

@dickasman – you are welcome – valid point just all in delivery

@jimbasil – it is truly a simply question – name the last white shutdown corner….

you come with guns a blazin but not real ammo….

as the great nudedouce would say, “waiting…tapping foot…yawn….”

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I got it I got it I got it…..JOHN LYNCH BOO YAAAAAH!

Oh wait, DOHHHH! Hey wasn’t Bobby Taylor half white or was he just light skinned? Jimbobs, I am waiting on further validation to your point.

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re right, I should never have questioned the notion that all black athletes are 6’1″, 4.3 speed with 42″ elevation and all are “lock down corners”. My bad.

The point is it isn’t true either for white athletes or black athletes.

There is no argument to combat your type of stereotyping propaganda, it is what it is and you can take it from there.

All black singers are better singers than white singers because they are born singing Gospel. Same thing.

Black athletes can’t play hockey because they have higher ankles than white athletes. Same thing.

You post BS on the board and it is roundly scrutinized so you go on to deflect the nonsense onto those who object as if fools.

“Guns blazing”? Hardly; just tired of the overt stupidity masquerading as clever comment or well thought out opinion.

This is a Notre Dame board, I expect a little class and clever banter, none of which you two offer with your ill-wit.

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

@jimmoron

you people physically make me ill – where did i say any of that nonsense you quoted me – here is a step-by-step approach to indentify CBs – regardless of color:

1. prototype CB – 6’1″, 210, 4.3-4.5 40
        2. now run a search on the entire football population
        3. go after those kids
        4. Now what are the demographics of said group?

when did anyone use the word “all” – here is a little tip, next time you quote someone, just scroll up and read what they posted before pushing any buttons….

your examples are pathetic

and glad to see you couldn’t answer such a simple question – further validates this whole discussion… try again on tomorrows post…

The coveted Douche of the Day Axe is now firmly in possession of Jimbo – what will Nude do to wrestle away what is rightly his????

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

…goats

Hmmmm, looking for the word “prototype in you above posts, but I just can’t seem to locate that word. Let me look at D….n. Nope, not there either.

It must be my imagination seeing these words – “How many white corners did Alabama have(has) – it isn’t playing the race card its just facts – you want someone 6’1″, runs 4.3 40, 42 inch vertical…. so take a poll as to how many players fit those criteria, now how many white vs. black? ” –

D..s..m — “We’ve gotta have the record number of white players as DB’s….isn’t 1 enough?” –

Yep, way to go.

Oooops, more — “when is the last time you have seen a white shutdown corner?” –

Spare me and the rest of the board your BS and name calling. Do the, “I made an error post”, not the “holier than thou” crud.

Yeah, ND needs some shut down Defense out there and it hasn’t been for lack of physical talent as much as it’s been about coaching and recruiting coachable players. I don’t know of too many athletes playing corner with 4.3 speed and 42 ups weighing in at 210 coming out of high school. How about you and D…s..m get your recruiting shoes on and go get some of them.

….with yer guns ablazin’

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Can’t believe I’m writing this but I agree with goat; though I haven’t seen the original post that started this firestorm about white corners.

The only white corner I can remember in the last 30 years was Jason Sehorn, and he was hardly a “shutdown” corner. He was a pretty boy who basically made a name for himself by being in shape.

Corners are black. Period. Why do we have to pretend otherwise? As my buddy goat says, it’s fact.

And John Lynch was a safety, not a corner.

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

@ nudeman I can believe I am reading this!!

@ jimdillweed – your rambling retort(s) are pretty humorous, thanks! Glad to see you had a day to think about my question and still have no answer…

when did i make an error – the error would have been if i posted “lets get 4 white boys in our defensive backfield and watch the BCS world shake in fear…” I would go long every play…

here’s another softball for you: in the track and field speed events – who dominates?

as nude stated, fact is fact, no race card playing here…

• dickasman - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Jimbobs,

I get all that about ND, Class, blah blah, wee wee, yipeeee doooo! Believe me, I do. I also have talked to these same “classy” fans and at some of these old timers at the games and joked with them. Jimbobs, I am the crass to your class. I get that and I accept it. Can you do the same? Do you expect all ND fans to think, act and talk like you? What is not clever to you is clever to others. What is right to you is wrong to others. Jimbobs, I’d love to come over to your house sometimes and help you clean your dentures to show you what a classy boy I am.

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

goatbuddy

Political correctness is tremendously annoying.

Cornerbacks and running backs are black for one simple reason: On the whole, they are built differently from white people. Bigger legs and butts and faster. Period. Why is anyone supposed to pretend otherwise?

There are any number of white guys who all are 1-2 steps slower who’d love to take their jobs at those positions. But they can’t, for one simple reason: They can’t.

• trbowman - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I like dickasman, he stirs the pot. It’s fun.

5. Keith Arnold - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Of course, I knew I’d forget people… Thanks. Will update shortly.

6. bernhtp - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

As I said when the recruiting class closed short of full, the immediate effect might actually be a bit positive given that a fifth-year, say, Golic will likely contribute more than most freshman four-star players. The fifth-year roster will make this year’s team stronger.

With that said, we desperately need to have a large and hugely talented class this coming year or we will really feel it in years to come. All of the graduates and most of the seniors will be gone after this year. Ugh!

• andy44teg - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much about a Golic losing a scholarship. I’m sure daddy could afford the tuition if he had to..

• domer77blowsgoats - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

mindblowing… riveting… edge of your seat stuff… i hit refresh all day until i see andy44teg!!!

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hey now, stop being racist andy! Patronage never happens at such fine institutions at ND.

• dickasman - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Honestly, Golic Jr. needs to work on that belly a little bit. He should heed his own father’s workout program. He seemed very “blobby” even for a lineman. I like the guy and he filled in nicely but just saying that maybe he could work a little harder during the offseason.

• bernhtp - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

My guess is that Golic will continue to develop physically and in technique. He will be a stronger and better player than last year. He will be a better fill-in for Cave and even compete for one of the guard spots. As I said, this is good for this year – I can’t imagine even a 5-star recruit being as good this year – but worry about future years.

7. irisheyesinsd - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Keith-
    So we are leaving one scholarship open? I am counting 84 out of a max of 85. It says a lot of Kelly’s opinion of Walker, McDonald, Pozlusny, etc. if he is letting them go with one available scholly left. There may be even one or two more available should someone transfer after spring ball.

Just curious, how many of those “seniors” listed above are eligible for a 5th year? Since we’ve offered over 100 juniors, it would be interesting to know how many scholarships we have for 2013.

• bernhtp - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I think he needs to reserve one for Badger, assuming he returns from mission.

• jimbasil - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Looks as though Kelly will have 25 scholly’s open for next year. Somehow I thought he would have near 30 or more.

On a side note: Tate Nichols – what is the story with him? He had a shoulder injury, no? How was his development as a player coming along. I know he’s not 6’1″ with 4.3 speed and an impressive vertical but I thought he was going to be part of the mix.

Any info?

8. smurphdoggy29 - Feb 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I hope that Slaughter and McCarthy emerge and blossom.

If that were to happen then the questions in the Secondary might be muted.

I also am standing by my belief that the offense under new guidance and with so many potential breakouts waiting to happen will surprise people.

2012 will be a fun season, with the hopeful upswing to 2013.

Happy Spring Irish Fans !

9. charliegirl1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Against my better judgement, I keep checking out the comments on these postings. My IQ just dropped reading this moronic exchange. Nice articles, BTW.

• trbowman - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM

I’m a charlie girl, in a charlie woooooorld.

10. 1historian - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:29 AM

All it took to set folks off was just ONE goofy remark from Richard.

Methinks he did this just to see what the reaction would be.

A few points –

“Name the last white shutdown corner” – valid question.
    White folks lost the mono-poly on racism

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Exactly

Not only are there no white shutdown corners, there are NO WHITE CORNERS of the shutdown or toast variety.

Why do we have to be so politically correct?

• bernhtp - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The stereotypes of relative white vs. black athleticism exist because they are largely rooted in fact, e.g., the top-ten 100M sprinters are all black.

While it’s wrong to deny these facts regardless of how politically-incorrect some people deem them to be, I also don’t see the value in bringing them up.

Despite charges of racism, I also find the vast majority of people to be fair and actually root for the underdog. There is no better example than the recent phenomenon of Jeremy Lin. He made huge news not only because of his prodigious performance, but especially because it came from the most unlikely demographic: an ethnically-Chinese Harvard grad. People love this type of beat-the-odds story.

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Correct bern

And I don’t see why we need to pretend otherwise

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM

virtually EVERY stereotype is rooted in fact. That’s kinda how stereotypes get started.

All of that being said, 15 years ago the world would have you believe that you couldn’t find a black QB (sans Doug Williams) good enough to play in the NFL.

So, following that same logic, lets hope that BK and stafff aren’t color coding their recruitment files when they search for cornerbacks.

…and just to throw another stereotype into the mix….

IMO, white DB’s tend to be more disciplined in tackling, which is a vastly underrating skill set with today’s HS players.

11. 1historian - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM

WE white folks lost the monopoly on racism long ago
    In 50 years we have gone from Bull Connor to Barack Obama

How many of you would like it if L’il Wayne lived next door?

• dickasman - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

LOL historian….

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I wouldn’t mind living next to him; I’d be in a nicer house in a nicer neighborhood.

• 1historian - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

point taken

12. don74 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I am late to the party on this post but my $ .02 are this, 26 sophs, all Kelly’s. That number alone puts the pressure squarely on the HC. With the 17 frosh and 19 juniors there are 62 of 85 that signed on with BK. Every one of them has known no way except the BK way. This year will be telling on whether the Irish ever climb back to elite status.

• nudeman - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Agree
      Another 8-5 year will be like cold showering with Roseanne Barr.

I don’t care how tough the schedule is
      I don’t care about a young QB ND starts
      I don’t care about NONE of that.

Isn’t this the University of Notre Dame we’re talking about?

And by the way, more important than BK having three classes of his guys is Chuck Martin taking over the offense. I don’t know that Charlie Molnar was a “bum”, but clearly there were issues last year in communication (getting plays in on time), speed of play and above all execution/turnovers.

Think about this: If ND just cuts the turnovers in HALF from last year (that’s not exactly asking a lot), they’d probably have won 10 games. So this year with a more dynamic QB and fewer turnovers, 10 wins should be very realistic.

From everything I’ve read Chuck Martin is a no nonsense guy who players respect and want to play for.

• dickasman - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Yeah I just know that another 8-5 is not going to cut it with ND fanbase.

• 9irish - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I agree with that, I am tired of that mentality. Michigan is one of the few (maybe only) big name schools with a winning record against us, and we have blown 3 in a row to them. This crap of “poor little ND” has got to stop. People are supposed to fear us, it has evolved into the other way around.

13. Keith Arnold - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I am now dumber for reading just about all of these comments. In the future, can we please leave nuanced discussions about race for a forum where people can’t hide behind monickers and aren’t commenting on a Notre Dame football article?

Thanks,