Jacob Matuska commits to Notre Dame

Mar 7, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT

Jacob Matuska

Less than a week after taking in the sights and sounds of Notre Dame’s campus, two-way jumbo-sized athlete Jacob Matuska has committed to playing for the Fighting Irish. The Columbus, Ohio native will likely start out as a defensive end for Bob Diaco’s defense, but was also heavily recruited as a tight end.

Matuska’s recruiting profile has been on the rise as of late, with offers rolling in from Oklahoma, Nebraska and Michigan lately. While he didn’t put up eye-popping numbers during his junior season, he was well regarded as a tight end, with Michigan making him their third TE offer behind top prospects Adam Breneman and Jake Butt. While it appears that playing on the offensive side of the ball is the preferred destination for Matuska, playing for the Irish out-weighed everything else.

“I think it was in his heart,” Matuska’s father Jim told Steve Wiltfong of 247sports.com. “I think the whole process with the recruiting and such, you kind of lose sight of that. Once we got up there this past weekend and met the coaches and it really was a great visit, was when he truly thought about it, and he thought about it and we put ourselves into the future and imagined him putting on what uniform he wanted to put on and where would you want to graduate from. It was pretty clear to him.”

After a quick look at Matuska’s highlights, it’s clear the 6-foot-5, 240-pound prospect has plenty of athleticism, and will likely add weight to a very nice frame. Unlike a guy like Tate Nichols who played tight end in high school but immediately profiled as a offensive lineman, Matuska has legitimate chops on the offensive side of the ball (which is still an option), and should have plenty of athleticism to come off the edge of the Irish defensive as well.

It’s been mentioned before, but Brian Kelly identified the “big skill” position as an area of need and one look at the highlights below lets you know Matuska qualifies as such. Joining Michigan offensive tackle Steve Elmer in the Irish 2013 recruiting class, Matuska is an important first data point from the new strategy being taken with smaller, more select, junior days.

***

1. dickasman - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Thank god we got the right Jacob. Please do not recruit the other Jacob, I don’t think I could contain myself.

2. irish2011 - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM

What other Jacob?

• dickasman - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Butt. Note to ND coaching staff: If we go after him, I cannot contain myself. You thought Gary Gray was bad….

• domer77blowsgoats - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Keith

Please delete the above comment – his username and name calling of Gary Gray is offensive and does nothing to promote the discussion of ND football on this blog. Jim Rome would not approve, no no no, not at all.

Yours truly,

HighlyOffendedGoat

• nudeman - Mar 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

goat,
        Good one. What does UAW think?
        I’m guessing we find out shortly.

3. don74 - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I like the fact he is from Columbus. How did he not have an offer from OSU? Looks like a good get but let’s see what the next 11 months hold in store.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Mar 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I agree don, it’s good to see a commit from right under Urban’s nose, but we’ve got 300+ days until it’s official. Let’s hope he still feels as strongly in February ’13

• nudeman - Mar 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

His HS coach had tremendous stuff to say about him.

Said he’s always been an ND fan, is truly committed, and neither he (the HS coach) or the Matuska family will put up with a circus.

Any college coach who comes calling will be told 1) he’s committed to ND; 2) his priority now is having a good senior year, academically and football wise.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Wow, if only they were all this easy.

• nudeman - Mar 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Well, he ain’t enrolled so no celebration just yet

4. sullyp18 - Mar 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Does anyone have info on Adam Breneman? He should be making his decision this friday. Time for him to commit to TE U.

• nudeman - Mar 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Seems like most of the speculation I saw on one of the other boards has him going to Penn State. The kid says academics and grad rates are very high on his list of priorities.

But that’s a guarantee of nothing, as we know.
      And PSU is a pretty damn good school so it’s not like it’s an embarrassment to get a degree from there.

5. papadec - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I like the Jacob Matuska for David Perkins tit-for-tat. I think we got the better end of the deal.

6. EndzoneFadeAllDay - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Sounds like Matuska is going to play on the d-line, so it’d be awesome to bring in Breneman as the next great TE at ND.

7. ctfivula - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I like this kid. I really like the story about a kid who grows up loving the Irish and now he has a chance to run out of that tunnel on game day sporting the blue and gold. Just thinking about that puts a smile on my face. Go Irish!

• nudeman - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I agree. I just hope he doesn’t become another Decker, who also said he was a lifelong ND guy. AND I think his sister goes to ND too.
      This Matuska kid is 6’5″ 240 AS A JUNIOR!

I saw someone say “OSU didn’t offer”, implying he can’t be much good.

Well maybe he is and maybe he isn’t. But by the time he gets to ND he’ll probably grow another inch and put on another 20 lbs. which would make him 6’6″ and 260. Isn’t that Lynch’s profile coming in?

I like this kid.

8. nudeman - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

When does Brenneman make his decision?

• papadec - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM

nude – there is an article @ espn tonight that Breneman committed to Penn St.

• nudeman - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Saw that.

That’s what everyone on the 4Horsemen Lounge was predicting. Penn State has long been his dream school.

I’m not sure why, aside from the scandal maybe turning him off, anybody thought ND had a chance here.