Carlisle out for spring with broken ankle

Mar 20, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT

Amir-Carlisle

Just days after getting the good news that transfer running back Amir Carlisle would be eligible for the 2012 season, head coach Brian Kelly announced the sophomore running back suffered a broken ankle in seven-on-seven workouts and will be out for the spring.

With spring practice set to begin on Wednesday, the Irish will be without one of their most intriguing offensive weapons until June, when Carlisle is expected to be ready to resume workouts with the team during summer school. It’s a disappointing development for Carlisle, but one that isn’t expected to hamper his ability to perform next season.

After being the most undermanned position group last spring, even without Carlisle, the running backs depth chart will include George Atkinson, senior Theo Riddick, who has shifted back after spending the last two seasons at wide receiver, returning starter Cierre Wood, and Cam Roberson, who will still be limited as he works his way back from a devastating knee injury. Rising sophomore Cam McDaniel will be spending spring practice working with the cornerbacks.

Carlisle played last season for USC, where the freshman carried the ball 19 times for 118 yards and also had a receiving touchdown, while battling nagging knee and ankle injuries. After wearing the number 41 with the Trojans, Carlisle will don number three for the Irish, taking the number from Michael Floyd.

1. bernhtp - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Too bad about Amir. This sets him back a few months, but should be mostly up to speed by the beginning of summer camp. I assume/hope it was a simple fracture.

I’m surprised about McDaniel moving to CB. I imagine he was told this was his best opportunity to see the field given the depth above him at RB.

2. herringbonesports - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Reblogged this on HERRING BONE.

• herringbonesports - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Well, now I know what happens when I hit the “Re-Blog” button. I had no idea because I usually read Keith on a mobile device that’s not connected to WordPress and had never hit it. I apparently don’t even have the settings for it to show up on my site.

Apologies to Keith or anyone else if this is a taboo thing. I thought it would just show a link to his post on my site as a means of supporting my favorite ND blogger. No ill will, I promise. Wasn’t trying to spam here or anything.

• Keith Arnold - Mar 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

No harm caused for me. Reblogging sounds cool. (No clue what it means, but it’s all good.)

• herringbonesports - Mar 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Thanks Keith, I appreciate the reply. I definitely had no idea it’d post a link to my site in the comment section and do nothing I’d consider “Re-Blogging” to my WordPress account or site.

As we’ve all said many times, “seemed like a good idea at the time.”

Go.Irish.

3. gracehall1980 - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

As my friends from Belfast frequently say, it sometimes seems as if the Irish would have no luck if it weren’t all bad. Good luck Amir with the recovery.

• nudeman - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

From my cousins in Kilworth (Co. Cork):

“In times of prosperity we sustain ourselves with the knowledge that impending doom awaits”

• akirish - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I love it.

Being the son of a Strength and Conditioning guy, I hope he does everything necessary to get back to full strength as soon as possible. Not having spring ball will set him back as far as learning blocking assignments, getting comfortable with his QB(s) and lineman, etc., so that’s a bummer. I’d love to see him as a bIg contributor right away in the fall.

I ho

4. herringbonesports - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Wow, tough break for Amir and what I’m sure was a coaching staff salivating at getting him a ton of reps over the next few weeks to see what they’ve really got. If Roberson is still as hobbled as they say, then you gotta think this is George Atkinson’s shining moment before Amir returns this fall with some pretty intriguing young backs in the recruiting class. I broke both my ankles and the same bone in my right foot 3 times and it’s always the same – it sucks, but barring ligament damage it can be a 2-5 week healing process with no long-term effects. He should be fine.

McDaniel is a surprise move, even with the Shepard departure. The recruiting class has a lot of “athlete” guys who’d seem a more natural stop-gap on the CB depth chart, even if they ultimately end up at Safety or OLB (Prosise, Neal, Turner, Shumate). I don’t know how much stock to take in this.

5. nudeman - Mar 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

1) Tough for Amir. Just be ready to rush for 200 yds against USC
    2) Atkinson in the backfield: I like it. Guy needs to be on the field more
    3) McDaniel at CB: Hmmm … fast enough? Not so sure
    4) From BK presser today (below). If your name is “Tommy”, this isn’t good.

“Kelly adds that the quarterback position needs “escapability” for the offense to run at a high level of efficiency and that will be a focus during spring practice.”

• schuey73 - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I don’t know if Coach K addressed this or not today at his pc, but I heard Troy Niklas is listed as a TE on the spring roster.

• bernhtp - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yes he is. This was announced before. Given the depth at TE and the potential issues at LB, this indicates that they will put more emphasis on the TE position – use two TE sets and/or line Eifert up wide occasionally.

• joeschu - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

KA – are you going to do a dedicated press conference breakdown post?

Nude – What did you make of “equal footing for all” and “kind of scaled it back” in the QB discussion The glass-half-empty side of me feels like that equals neutering the QB running game again.

My big hope for the O this season is that the whole 1st unit spends a lot more time on traditional spread formations/plays and not whittling down everything to “fit the skills” of the guys on the roster. With 3 legit spread QB’s to compete (and the other guy), I’m hoping that means they all have to show they can gain ground in the zone read and make all the necessary throws.

• papadec - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

nude – Cam is fast & athletic enough for CB.

6. 04domergrad - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I love your work Keith and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but the fewer of your posts we see, the better. Offseason news is only bad news 99% of the time.

This of course will not stop me from checking every day…

7. bernhtp - Mar 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Keith: please find a photo of Amir in Notre Dame blue and gold. Every article you post about him currently features him in USC cardinal and gold, which is disturbing. We need to move on.

• nudeman - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

bern
      Good catch
      Tired of seeing him in those puke colors.

8. Keith Arnold - Mar 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Comprehensive write-ups coming guys… Thanks for the patience. Had some computer problems this afternoon that took me off line.

Also — I like the Amir photo in Cardinal and Gold. It’s much better to think of taking a rival’s best RB prospect.

9. ttirish - Mar 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

There is no substitute for SPEED. Amir has plenty and will debut in Dublin; that’s the good news. Why he wasn’t fast enough to play at SC is the bad news. Go Irish!