Junior Day nets another recruit as Rashad Kinlaw commits

Mar 26, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT

Rashad Kinlaw

It’s a recruiting weekend that just won’t stop giving. With a tidal wave of momentum still rolling, Notre Dame accepted the commitment of New Jersey athlete Rashad Kinlaw to the 2013 recruiting class. Kinlaw had offers from Iowa, Rutgers, Boston College, and North Carolina State, thanks to some electric performances at quarterback before suffering an ankle injury that ended his junior season in mid-October.

Kinlaw spent the weekend in South Bend with his mom and grandmother and committed to defensive coordinator Bob Diaco this afternoon, per Blue & Gold’s Jason Sapp.

“I was talking to my mom about it and called Coach (Bob) Diaco a couple of minutes ago,” Kinlaw told Sapp Monday afternoon. “I told him I was ready to join the family. He asked if I was ready for sure and I told him I was. They all congratulated me and I’m going to call back at 5 p.m. to talk to Coach Kelly.”

While his offer list isn’t as impressive as some of the other athletes on board for the Irish, Kinlaw is an incredibly intriguing prospect thanks to some elite size and speed. The Irish offered Kinlaw a scholarship as a cornerback in early March, a position that’s mighty intriguing with Kinlaw’s size, which has been reported anywhere from six-foot to six-foot-two, both plenty big enough for the position and close to the prototype for Bob Diaco’s defenses.

Another interesting data point for Kinlaw comes courtesy of this write-up by NJVarsity.com, who list Kinlaw among the ten best prospects in the state of New Jersey. The trait that seems to impressive them the most? Kinlaw’s speed.

Although he has played quarterback for the past two seasons, his future at the college level will be elsewhere. Kinlaw has top level speed and may be the fastest junior prospects in the state. His acceleration is second to none and he has next level quickness that makes him one of the more electrifying juniors in the state. In addition to playing quarterback, Kinlaw has thrived in limited action as a defensive back but could also translate into an excellent receiver at the college level as he is very dynamic with the ball in his hands. As much as he is a consideration for the defensive backfield, his offensive prowess cannot be discounted.

Kinlaw spent the weekend with a fellow Garden Stater, cornerback Bennett Jackson, another blazing skill player  that this coaching staff has placed at cornerback, laying the blueprint for what’ll likely happen with Kinlaw. With plenty of vacancy thanks to a few recruiting misses and Tee Shepard’s departure, the fit likely seemed perfect for all parties involved.

Kinlaw is the eight commitment to the class of 2013, and the fifth to come from this weekend’s junior day.

***

1. bernhtp - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I hope he gets to play a lot of CB this summer and fall so he gets a head start on the position.

2. mdp44 - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Kelly has proven he doesn’t need 5 star kids to make players out of them

• dmac4real - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Im not so sure he has yet at ND. But this kid is a top 100 prospect according to 247. Hes a great pickup.

• jrct2450yahoo - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Oh, please give me an example. My biggest complaint over the past 25 years has been the lack of player development. (See the NFL draft list or lack of same).

3. nudeman2point0 - Mar 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Beautiful
    When I see “Dallas Jesuit” I immediately come to the conclusion he’s an ND type guy. Big city and private Catholic school.
    Perfect.

4. jomilly - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Last years cycle I was really excited about Okwara, his raw talent. That kind of excitement is similiar for this kid. He appears to be under the radar and is stoked full of raw talent. Im very excited about this guy.

5. fnc111 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

From what I’m reading some of these commits are going to get itchy come December and might back out. They are all making that quick decision because they love the campus. That oh it just feels right moment doesnt work out well mist times. Signing day could get ugly again next year.

• bernhtp - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I just heard some of their interviews on ISD Power Hour. They seem like great and articulate kids who are making the commitment for the right reasons. They are excited to come to Notre Dame and be part of the experience. I am optimistic.

I also expect more commitments to come out of this stellar junior weekend.

• jomilly - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

last years decommits are more to do with the loses then the early commitment. Teams that get kids excited to come there, are excited about being sold wins, when wins dont come, or more loses aka. s. florida among others, they rethink. So at the end of the day 8-5 wont keep all the recruits we want. 9-3 will.

• bernhtp - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wins certainly have an effect, especially on the margin, but many of these kids want to be at Notre Dame because it’s Notre Dame and all that implies. Yes, we may have a commit or two that place being on an elite winning program at/near the top on their value system – we do every year – but I don’t think this is true for most of them. When we close strong (2010), we get a couple of blue birds (Lynch, Niklas) and when we end badly (2011) we lose some (Decker, Darby), but the vast majority are bought into Notre Dame one way or the other.

• nudeman2point0 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don’t agree on the decommits from this past year being about the losses.
        If you look at the ones who decommitted, only Decker fit the ND profile. The other three weren’t into what being a student athlete at ND is all about and wanted to be rock stars. Wrong place for that.

The good things about the kids who’ve committed so far is all seem to be committing to ND for the right reasons.

• bernhtp - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Nude: it’s always difficult to argue counterfactual history, but my bet is that we would have landed Darby and/or Decker had we gone 9-3 (won USF and FSU) or 10-2 (+Michigan). The Decker situation mostly revolves around the coaching change, but Meyer would have had far far less ammo had ND gone to a BCS bowl. Darby was always had a fragile commitment, but a win in a BCS bowl would have gone a long way to secure him, IMO. Anyway, you can argue specific individual, but the larger issue of 10-20% of the recruit base being strongly affected by performance is pretty clear.

• nudeman2point0 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

bern
        Some have suggested that the 5 loss season was the sole reason for not getting some kids. We’ll never know, but if you look at the decommitts, here’s what I see:
        Darby – Was NEVER really into ND. Would have decommitted regardless. Wants to be the next Deieon Sanders.
        Decker – Had ND gone to a BCS, his position coach might still be at ND and Decker likely would have hung in.
        Greenberry – Small town kid from rural CA, no real interest in academics and questionable work ethic. Probably under truth serum would have told us 6 months ago he was scared to death of ND and wanted to find a way out. Had he made it to SB, probably would have left, a la Tee.
        Shepard – Same as above

I think if you rank the things that keep good players from ND, IN GENERAL it would go something like this:
        1. Don’t want to make the academic commitment
        2. Want to play closer to home, like Davonte wanted UA
        3. South Bend, whether far away or not, is too small town

I don’t even think Ws and Ls is top 5, unless they start winning 2 games/year.

6. sullyp18 - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Nude, where do you see Dallas Jesuit? I am missing something and are we talking about the same person?

• nudeman2point0 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM

sully
      My error. Confused him with another prospect who they’ve been chasing
      Can’t remember who right now

7. sullyp18 - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Nude, I think you are talking about Jordan Mastrogiovanni. I am in Dallas and I believe he was just up there and received an offer over the weekend. Looks to be a kid that a lot of smaller programs have offered. Dont know much about him at this point.

• bernhtp - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I will be more impressed when we again start getting commits from Texas that spurned an offer from UT for Notre Dame.

8. irishdodger - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

David Robinson’s son, a WR from TX, has reportedly committed to ND.

9. papadec - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

irishdodger – Corey Robinson was @ this past Jr Weekend – Irish Sports Daily reports him as commit #9. 6’4″ around 200#.

• nudeman - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Awesome.
      Now THAT is the profile of the type of kid who will make it at ND.
      Son of the Admiral himself who had an Annapolis education.