Irish add WR Corey Robinson to the recruiting class

Mar 28, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT

Corey Robinson

A recruiting class that was slow to get started now can’t be stopped. After this past weekend’s junior day netted Notre Dame five commitments, the Irish picked up a sixth in wide receiver Corey Robinson. The San Antonio, Texas native, a six-foot-four and likely growing wide receiver that’s the son of the original five-star athlete, David “The Admiral” Robinson, gave Irish head coach Brian Kelly his commitment just days after leaving Notre Dame’s campus.

Christian McCollum of IrishSportsDaily.com was able to track down Robinson after making the decision.

“My dad and I loved the visit but I didn’t want to make a decision off of emotion,” Robinson told ISD. “I wanted to take a few days to think it over and pray and everything led me to Notre Dame.”

Robinson picked the Irish over a growing list of offers that included Wake Forest, Kansas, Iowa, North Carolina, and his father’s alma mater Navy. He joins James Onwualu in the Irish recruiting class as a projected wide receiver, though Robinson might be the true definition of a “big skill” player.

While the 660 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns during his junior season are nothing to sneeze at, many think Robinson’s best days on the football field are ahead of him. With a Hall of Fame father that towers as a seven-footer, Robinson isn’t likely to be done growing, and building on his already large frame only adds to his ability to create mismatches from the wide receiver position.

After targeting players with the speed and athleticism that has been missing at the position, Robinson looks to be a mold-breaker for Kelly and his staff, and someone who at the very least can walk in and be a red zone mismatch while he builds on his lean frame and continues to develop a solid skill set and good hands. Whether he’s able to physically grow into a tight end or merely stays a lanky wide out remains to be seen, but Robinson is an intriguing athlete who combines high upside with great character.

The Irish were the first school to offer Robinson a scholarship when Kerry Cooks made the call to Robinson’s San Antonio Christian high school a little less than a month after the Army All-American combine. With little knowledge of Notre Dame, Corey sat down to watch Rudy. From there, it’s seemed like Notre Dame was the school to beat.

“I never knew Notre Dame had that kind of history until I did my research,” Corey told MySanAntonio.com. “I watched ‘Rudy’ and was like, ‘Man, this is Notre Dame we’re talking about!’”

Robinson is the ninth member of the 2013 recruiting class. All but tight end Jacob Matuska were in South Bend last weekend.

1. dickasman - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

What’s his 40 time? Hell,put this guy on the ND basketball team and see what he can do as well? Watching ND basketball is like watching the “Hoosiers” move every year over and over minus the championships and the drama. Meahhh, its ok I guess. I don’t expect much from the hoop squad. At least they get in n out every year.

Keith, it would help all of us statwhores out whenever you post about recruits if you post their 40 times as well. Just a small request to make the website better. Or maybe link to their profile?

• bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Keith, Dick actually makes a good point. For recruit news, it would be great if you always posted links to their profiles in recruit rating services (Rivals, Scout, etc.).

• seeeye - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Or, conversely, you could go to those sites (Rivals, Scout, etc.) on your own. It’s the internet, they are only a few keystrokes away.

• bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Yes, I know that hyperlinks are so passe and all I need to do is type in Rivals.com, click college football recruiting, set the year to 2013, type in the first and last name in the text boxes, press enter, and then select the name from the list (assuming I didn’t make a typo) that comes up to get the profile, and then repeat all of this for each of the other sites.

• borromini - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I let Siri do all the navigation for me. ;-)

• dmac4real - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

@bern….just type “Corey Robinson Yahoo” into google on top of ur screen and press enter. Its pretty easy.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

But guys, I work 89,0000 million hours per week here in America therefore I am very lazy and irritated and tired all the time. He’s already typing up a entire page. Would it kill him to post a link?

Once I start googling stuff, it all goes south and I always end up at beeg.com

• bernhtp - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM

DIck: Well, you suckered me into it. You got my curiosity up and so I went to beeg.com. Ugh!!!

• dickasman - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

LOLOLOL….hahahahahah, I told ya! addictive, right?

2. domer77blowsgoats - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This is truly an unmatched week re: recruiting and for sure lessens the sting of how things finished last cycle

not even nudeman2.0 constant pessimism is a match for this string of wins

now only thing left is to make it happen on the field!!

Go Irish

• nudeman - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

goat
      I am back to just “nudeman”, for the record. However I’m sure you noticed there is now a “nudemanhd” around here.

Now then … I like the sound of this guy a lot from every perspective.
      And for anyone who thinks the Irish are loading up on too many 3 star guys, two things:

1) These guys are all Juniors. Kinslaw in fact missed most of last year with an injury but is ranked in someone’s top 250 (24×7 or Rivals or ESPN). It’s not unreasonable to expect that some or all will be 4 star by NSD.

2) As we’ve previously discussed, the star rating is hardly an infallible predictor of college success. Lots of 3 and even 2 star guys became studs. And some 4 and 5 star guys weren’t worth diddly.

3) I’ll take a 3 star scion of The Admiral any time. Great genes, solid discipline in all phases of his life and a good student.

Last thing … diff subject. Michael Wilbon yesterday started a mini firestorm by thinking out loud that someday Nick Saban could wind up at ND. Apparently he’s a devout Catholic (I didn’t know that) and Wilbon’s opinion was it would be one last great career challenge to win at ND.

Hey, BK is our man. But when his run ends, Nick is more than welcome at ND.

• bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

re: just “nudeman”

Good. Simpler is better, less is more, etc. We have too much multiple personality disorder around here already.

I only partially agree with your perspective on star ratings. While not perfect (Samardzija and Eifert), the vast majority of our top players were highly rated out of HS. There is a very high correlation between rating and performance at ND.

Saban might aspire to coach ND, but it would be quite an adjustment coming from Alabama. His recruiting would be radically different as well as some coaching process. Totally different culture and challenges.

With that said, Holtz came (indirectly) from Arkansas, so it’s not impossible. However, Kelly is the guy for now and for the indeterminate future. To discuss anyone else is premature, at best.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Nude, but isn’t Saban a scumbag of a coach? He’s a hell of a coach, no doubt but a scumbag of one. No catholic man would ever coach Alabama and surround themselves with that many sinners.

If hell freezes over why then yes.

• dickasman - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Domer, Let me rain on your parade for 1 milisecond and you can go back to gloating or goating or whatever it is you do.

I don’t believe any of them are 4 – 5 stars. Let’s not for get this. I think you’re getting semijizzed because “recruits” committed. Once bitten twice shy, I will refrain til after the signing date. By the looks of the way ND staff is recruiting, it seems like they’re going after lesser talented “atheletes” rather 4-5 star position players. It seems Kelly’s going back to his “roots”. Good luck to the guy and I certainly don’t blame him.

Carry on!

• dmac4real - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

According to 247 (Probably the most reliable one) the only two who arent 4 stars are the two WR. So we have 7 4 stars and 2 3 stars. I wouldn’t complain.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

thanks dmac for the info. I thought it was the other way around like 7 3 stars and 2 4 stars.

• domer77blowsgoats - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This is exactly why this message board went to complete shiot and I among others resorted to blasting such idiocracy for what it was

Nothing but good news and excitement building around recruits and spring ball

But no, can’t celebrate small victories around here

gotta bitch and complain that XYZ 16 year old kid is only 3 stars and not 4

gotta throw in the obligatory TR sucks comment

really well done people, bravo!

• nudeman - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Still goat 1.0

• dickasman - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Naw…still goat .696969

3. msmmh - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

As a huge fan of David Robinson, this is great. I don’t know how Corey will do at Notre Dame on the field but one thing that is for sure, he will be a man with character. If he has the talent and work effort of his father, it’s going to be a fun four years. It’s also going to be cool seeing his dad in the stands.

Welcome to ND Mr. Robinson

4. bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

If I recall, his dad had a late growth spurt that made it nearly impossible to fit into submarines (Naval Academy grad and then submariner officer). Corey might have a similar trajectory, though likely not to 7 ft.

While currently unheralded (a 3-star prospect), I think there is a lot of upside for him. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Samardzija, who was also very tall (6’6″) WR, a 3-star recruit, and someone that blossomed much later.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I read where the Admiral grew 7 inches during college (no jokes dickasman) so Corey will likely continue to grow. Solid pick up and great Junior Day all around. After watching all these practice videos, I can’t wait to see GAIII get some game reps. He’s another kid with good genes and could be our stud at RB.

• bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I remembered this vaguely but just read the article linked. Corey probably can’t grow too much more without changing position, but that’s OK too. Again, I’m absolutely thrilled to have Corey and family at Notre Dame.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

He’s a honest blackman. No jokes necessary. What you said, its for real, probably more like 9

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

No at RB…I see him as outside CB or WR. Bobby Taylor or Jon Goodman.

5. gpatton90 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

dickasman, 3 of the current verbals are 4-stars. For fun, and because your comments are annoying, I looked at the rivals final recruiting rankings. The top 10 teams had an average of 42% of their recruits comprised of 3-star and lower, ranging from 13% (USC) to 70% (Miami). The second 10 teams had an average of 58% of their recruits comprised of 3-star and lower, with ND the only one of those that wasn’t above 50% (even after the loss of Sheppard).

I think its actually a big positive to go out early and pick the 3-star guys you want and get them committed, rather than trying to fill in at the end with guys that may not have otherwise been your preferrences.

And if you look at some the top targets on ND’s board, there’s a high number of 4+ star guys, who usually take more time before committing.

So your comment that we’ve changed our strategy to go after “lesser talented athletes” sounds to me like your having a bad day at the office. Having a solid percentage of quality 3-star recruits is imperative and right in line with top programs.

• nudeman - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Since I started this mini storm on the star ratings, let me clarify something:
      I love 5 star guys; and I love 4 star guys. If I could have my way ND would have nothing but 4 and 5s.

But my point was this: IN GENERAL I believe too much emphasis is given to this stuff. I love reading and debating about recruiting; but it’s an incredibly inexact science (art?) grading these kids. There is no uniformity in the competition they face or their growth patterns.

Take two kids who get recruited as OLBs, each being 6’2″/220 lbs at 18 years old. By the time they’re sophomores in college one could be 6’4″ and 265; the other maybe still 6’2″ and 230. Ooops.

Obviously Rivals and ESPN try to factor this stuff in, but with literally thousands of kids to go over, they miss probably more often than we think.

So all other things being equal (size, brains, maturity, etc) I think you can’t go wrong if you always err on the side of athletic ability.

• bernhtp - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I think that only Eifert and Rees (no comment needed) were 3-star recruits on last year’s starting O. Our team leaders and stars (MMF, Te’o, Smith, JGray, CWood) were upper 4-star and 5-star recruits. Again, the correlation is not 1.0, but very, very high.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Patton, by your logic then explain why ND football has been sucking major donkeyballs for last how many years now? WHY CAN’T WE GET IT RIGHT THEN Patty? What’s the problem? What’s the answer?

6. barneysbullet - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

“Corey Robinson, come on down!”

7. ndrocks2 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

does he play hoops as well? if this football thing doesn’t work out…

anything 3.5 or better is a great recuiting class, we are 3.33 right now so we are fine the 4 and 5′s wait until the end and sometimes weeks after signing day. it’s the 2 star long snapper & kickers who kill your average and we picked a snapper up last year.

8. kansasirish - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Another good pick up for a quickly growing class. Does anybody know the latest on Jaylon Smith? ND really needs to get that kid!

9. scoregasmic - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Rudy convinced him to go to ND? Ah nvm let’s be real…Rudy could convince anyone to go to ND

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I love ND but that movie was way too frigging cheesy for me. I like everybody’s all american w dennis quaid. Can ND make one of those films?

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Also, Let’s not remind Corey that Rudy recently got busted for defrauding something or somebody.

Dear Lord our Jesus Christ Savior, what is this world coming to…?

10. degosavage23 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Take this however you choose, but it only proves that 3-star players can contribute–sometimes significantly. According to Rivals, here is a list of some notable ND players beginning with 2007 whose final Rivals ranking was 3 stars in their respective classes:

2007

Everett Golson
    Chase Hounshell
    Matthias Farley
    Cam McDaniel
    Jalen Brown
    Josh Atkinson

Granted, some of these players have yet to do much of anything, but you can’t argue that most of them have at least been “hyped up” by the coaching staff, media, and fans, whether it be because they have a good chance at playing time now, in the future, or have played in the past. Like them or not, some of the guys on here have already contributed significantly.

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’ll take 5 star over 4 or 3 star player anyday, all things being equal. I gave up on the starwhoring thing after dingleshepard incident.

• degosavage23 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Just to clear it up, I agree with you Dick. Just saying, it can work if they’re the “RKGs.”

11. degosavage23 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM

By the way, 5 of the current commits are on the ESPNU 150 Watch List, because they haven’t come out with the actual ESPNU 150 list for 2013.

12. mtflsmitty - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Dickasman…Usually enjoy your perspectives, but your “I believe none of these guys…” evaluation has dealt a serious shot to your board credibility. I look forwardnto watching you recover.

Patton, great insight. Thx.

13. norcalirish - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:09 AM

VERY, very cool. I always respected his father, from all accounts he’s a a good guy. Welcome!

14. norcalirish - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:11 AM

“Besides getting an apparently good kid and good athlete with lots of upside potential, I am absolutely thrilled to bring the Robinson family into the Notre Dame circle. This makes my day at least as much as landing a 5-star.”

Bernhtp: well put, could not agree more

15. nudemanhd - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Hey Nudeman, hopefully he likes bars and girls huh?

• dickasman - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM