Lynch’s absence from practice sparks rumor mill

Apr 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT

Aaron Lynch Blue Gold

There’s plenty of practice report video to get to, but the biggest news of the day was Aaron Lynch‘s absence from practice today. While rumors were burning like wildfire across the internet this morning after the rising sophomore defensive end was missing, Brian Kelly was quite clear after practice that nothing major was going on.

“We excused him from practice today. He needed some time to straighten out some personal matters at home,” Kelly said. “There were rumors that he quit or transferred or he went pro. All of that is not true. So we can end that right now.”

Lynch is expected back on campus Monday evening, per Kelly. School resumes after Easter on Tuesday, so his departure from practice might simply be an early getaway day from school, a logical explanation for a guy that isn’t battling for a job during spring drills. Lynch’s disappearance also took center stage on Twitter, where his mother refuted any notion that her son had gone to Florida or was transferring anywhere and instead stated that her son was “at home with me… Stop the rumors!”

Lynch’s relationship with South Bend has been the subject of message-board fodder lately. Some with knowledge of the situation do worry that Lynch’s struggles away from Florida, and his high school girlfriend, make this a situation that’s worth monitoring. But a logical assessment of the soon-to-be-sophomore’s options clearly show sticking it out at Notre Dame is the best option. If Lynch progresses as many expect, he’ll have the opportunity to enter the NFL draft after his junior season, meaning he’ll spend roughly 20 more months in South Bend, meaning it’s all downhill from here. That’s the shortest route to getting done with college, and quicker than any rumored transfer could be, where Lynch will have to sit out next season.

Of course, today’s absence will either be a minor blip in the radar or a massive shake-up in an offseason that already saw freshman Tee Shepard leave school before ever suiting up for a Notre Dame practice. Lynch is slated to be one of the best players on the field for the Irish next season, and any move by him would be the largest offseason news of the year for the Irish. That said, there’s just as likely of a chance that this is the encapsulation of the social-media tidal wave that’s taken over reporting in college sports, where rumors and fodder create and kill stories before a newspaper has time to print the morning news. Ultimately, we’ll find out by Tuesday, when classes resume and next Wednesday, the next scheduled practice.

Lastly, just to speak generally on teenagers and their collegiate choices, allow me a quick rant. The idea that 18-year-olds — whether they be students or scholarship athletes — chose their school based on the city that houses the institution is a bit ridiculous. Having picked a school when I was 18-years old, I can tell you that nobody I know considered South Bend when they chose to attend Notre Dame. Same with friends that went to Marquette, or big-time scholarship athletes that play football at a place like Florida. Gainesville is no mecca of culture, and has nothing on South Bend, but a few mild winter months and stifling summer humidity. USC — placed in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in south-central Los Angeles — still manages to draw people to school for both academic and athletic pursuits. There’s no doubt that geography is a factor for people choosing colleges, and staying close to home is clearly important to some kids. But to say that South Bend is a character in this subplot, might be looking at this a bit too close.

1. 10of14 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Coach was politically correct, however, there is more to this story…stay tuned.

• andy44teg - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

HOLY CRAP! I HOPE NOT!!!! Stupid high school chicks anyways. If Lynch’s g/f is somehow, some way messing around on him, then she’s about as smart as my wife’s stupid pomeranian sitting at my feet right now. She must not be aware of the fact that in just a few years he’s going to be a millionaire via the NFL. So QUIT CAUSING DRAMA FOR LYNCH!!! Play your cards right and you’ll never have to work a day in your life. Jeez…it’s not rocket science….

• dickasman - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Y I was thinking the same thing. I think that says a lot about the kids maturity. I don’t know any sophomores in college still dating high school girls. Oh jeez…this is going to up my Xanax dosage tonight…(hawk hat telson voice)”doggone it “

• russknox - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

hahaha about the pomeranian.

• dickasman - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I missed the pomeranian part. Andy, I have 2 pomeranians myself. Does anybody want to adopt 2 beautiful pomeranians by chance?

• irishbornraised - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

dick, he’s not talking about a girl who’s in highschool, he’s talking about the girl he dated when they were in highschool, the girl in question is at university of florida.

• dickasman - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM

thanks for the inside info irish….I got the gist that he was still dating a high school student. I want to know what love isssss….And I want you to showwww meeeeee. I want to feel what love issss….

2. dickasman - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

***tear***, Aaron, come baaaaaaaaacccvvvkkkk sooooooooon! We need you buddy!!! But If not screw you.

Whats w all the drama this year? Holy christ. Did somebody not say their prayers? Well either way as long as we don’t have anybody that gets lower than 4 on wonderlic, we got no shame.

Kids these days I tell ya….lil drama mamas can’t stand it!

• ndgrad2000 - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

“but if not screw you”?
      Come on man Irish nation is better than that
      Best of luck Aaron hope you work everything out and are back in SB soon
      Go Irish

3. dickasman - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Guys, dont worry, I’m going to call Melissa Henderson and see if she will let him cry on her shoulder

• ndgrad2000 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Didn’t you talk about how the kids “maturity” was lacking in one of your many not so funny posts above?
      Look in the mirror pal. Not so sure your the greatest evaluator of judging others’ maturity level

• dickasman - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Last time I checked, I am not on the Notre Dame football Team. I am just a by far the best looking internet keyboard warrior on inside the irish, just like rest of you’s but prettier.

4. bernhtp - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

The type of girl drama that causes you to leave school and travel over a thousand miles is generally the worst kind. I hope that’s not it.

5. dmac4real - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Calm down….Hell be back monday. My gosh.

6. jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Keith, you make a great point about how social media, Internet, twitter, etc have changed the dynamic in a story like this. The rumors fly before the facts even have a chance to develop. A handful of years ago we wouldn’t even have known about this but today, people are quick to condemn this kid based on incomplete or often, nonexistent information and pure speculation. Chillax people, let the kid work out his issue (whatever it might be) and come back next Tues.

7. mtflsmitty - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Glad calmer heads are prevailing. By and large, kids who pick ND are a cut above. But they are still kids. I did some really stupid stuff when I was 19. If my every move was examined, people who didn’t know anything about me would have drawn a lot of inaccurate conclusions. I wish all the players well.

• dickasman - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Smitty, How many girls did you bag while you were 19?

8. ndgoldandblue - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Guys…this kind of thing is normal. I don’t know what exactly is the reason for his departure, but I’m guessing it’s something important. That doesn’t mean he’s going to leave Notre Dame and its football program. I’m not saying that homesickness is the issue, but I remember quite clearly, as an undergrad at North Dakota State (located in Fargo), I would get homesick quite often, and my “home” was a farm two hours down the road. No matter the distance, kids still need to go home every once in a while and decompress. Leave it at that. Man, there are some things in this world that I know we wish we could dis-invent. Sometimes, I think the internet is one of them. I love checking out Notre Dame news, but these rumors and speculation get so out of hand that it makes me ashamed of humanity.

9. bernhtp - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM

re: “I can tell you that nobody I know considered South Bend when they chose to attend Notre Dame…”

This is very true, especially about those we want at Notre Dame. If your focus is on the big city night life, then you’re not a Notre Dame RKG.

Other than those who go/went to Notre Dame, few understand how separated the campus is from South Bend. It is a world unto its own. When I was a freshman, the totality of my experience with South Bend involved going to the St. Joe bank downtown once a month (before ATMs and student credit cards).

People that go to Notre Dame go to Notre Dame. The weather could be better, but that is true of the entire midwest and most of the northeast.

• 1historian - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Bernie – in re the weather – I live in northern New England and the weather here can get frightful but I LOVE IT!! I live on a dirt road off a dirt road, (ergo I am a hick) and this past winter was a bit of a disappointment, but that’s ok.

I remember a few years ago we got 3′ of snow and when we stepped outside my black lab looked at me and said “It’s about damn time we got some decent weather around here!!”” His exact words.

The same kind of weather year round is boooring.

• bernhtp - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I somewhat agree, but I must say that the weather in South Bend was unusually frightful for my last two years – one in which we had 170 inches of snow (beat Buffalo) and another where every single day in the month of January went below 0 F. I gladly took a (lucrative) job offer down south.

With that said, you go to Notre Dame to go to Notre Dame, and nothing else really much matters.

• nudeman - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

When you’re a 19 yr old from Florida, South Bend winter is a helluva shock. Lynch will be fine. Needs to realize that weather and missing his girlfriend are just rites of passage for growing up.

Also, he comes from a single parent home and who knows what scars that caused. Strikes me as sort of emotionally fragile.

His options are extremely limited. Does anyone see Aaron Lynch sitting out a year? Don’t think so.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

1historian…….We had that same storm last winter in Jersey. My dog said,”my balls are cold.”

10. jsrnd1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

He beat up Tate Nichols. That is why he missed practice. Anger Issues, maybe why he get a PF every game.

• dickasman - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

JS, I think you might be onto something here now that I think about it…..its probably more because of the fight than the “girl” back home. Put this guy on the OL for a week of practice see how he likes it. Sounds like he needs to start poppin cymbalta or something

11. bradwins - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I see we’ve made a ton of progress cleaning up the comment section….

12. fnc111 - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Per my sources, lynch will finish up this semester academically but is done with football at ND. He sees the team and program going nowhere. Wants to be back home and USF is in the running.

• nudeman - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

fnc
      That just makes no sense.
      The man is all about football at this point in his life. So why, if he’s so down on ND would he go through the rigors of the classroom and then NOT PLAY FOOTBALL??

His options are limited. He can:

1) quit ND, then sit out a year and go play for Florida
      2) suck it up, go back to ND, play with a bunch of guys who love him
      3) quit football altogether and go to work at a car wash and continue to bang his chick who he’ll get tired of within 6 months

I just don’t see this guy going anywhere but back to SB

13. fnc111 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Nude I was just playing around. I have no clue what is up but it’s getting annoying have to read about Lynch is he staying or going. I hope he just gets it over already. But you do make a great point. He is going to be shaking his head at himself years down the road because he got all worked up over a chick at the age of 19. If he was at a place like UT Austin he would’ve already gotten tired of his fiancĂ© lol.

14. bernhtp - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Aaron Lynch is an extremely emotionally volatile guy. Along with his amazing physical skills, the ferocity and brutality of his attack make him the elite player he is. But there is also a downside such as the more-frequent-than-usual personal foul, incidents in practice, and occasionally erratic behavior.

As we learned in Star Wars, the Dark Side of the Force is very powerful, but it can control you as much as you control it. Thankfully, Aaron has some stabilizing forces in his life, principally his mother. Aaron (and his Mom) made the right choice in coming to ND where he can get more of the attention and discipline that he needs. He has the type of personality that can make his life go seriously off track otherwise.

My prediction is that he stays, albeit not without the occasional emotional flareup and problem. While he might leave for the NFL after junior year, I also bet that he ultimately graduates. This would be a big deal for his mom.

15. 10of14 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM

This is not just a girlfriend issue. He gets laid plenty at ND. He is immature and has anger issues and will not last at ND. We have seen the last of Lynch at ND.

• nudeman - Apr 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM

10 of 14
      “We have seen the last of Lynch at ND”
      That is an extreme thing to write with no supporting data posted.
      Is that an opinion or do you have some inside knowledge here?

I’m tired of stories about him bitching about SB and ND on FB and Twitter. Then the coaches put him in front of a few recruits to “give the real picture of what life at ND is like”. Great move there. Why not just pay for their recruiting trip to Michigan and tOSU too?

Anyway, you are right about this: He appears VERY angry and immature. The young man needs counseling. Seriously.

16. seanb20124 - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I hate rumors like these

17. muir6 - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Did he show up today?

• bernhtp - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

• nudeman - Apr 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I suppose there’s a deep sigh of relief from ND Nation on this, and I admit I’m happy he’s back. But I also have to say I’m seriously tired of this guy and his attitude. Hates SB, not sure he’s that crazy about ND, apparently hates Tate Nichols, and worst of all he can’t stop telling the entire world about his feelings.

We probably know about 1/8th of what’s gone on. But his effort to outdo Carlos Zambrano as the idiot athlete of the decade needs to end. Most likely, it won’t though. He’s 19, still in SB and at ND, his girlfriend is still in FL and he still has anger issues. Developing story. Tick, tick, tick ….

• bernhtp - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

As I said, he’s an emotionally volatile guy with high drama. He wouldn’t be on the team if he were a 3-4 star guy, but he is a complete badass. It will be necessary to periodically talk him off the ledge.

The sad fact is that Notre Dame can’t even consider consider the vast majority of the ESPN150. There are significant limitations on how many of most of the rest they can take. The effective recruiting pool is quite small and is likely a bit smaller after what happened this semester.