Michael Floyd: Sport Science Freak

Apr 5, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT

Floyd Pro Day

After Skylar Diggins got a tour of the ESPN Sport Science lab, there were plenty of people convinced she was more than just a pretty face… and an All-American, Player of the Year candidate. Now former Irish wide receiver Michael Floyd got his chance to impress in the laboratory.

Here’s a quick segment on Floyd courtesy of Sport Science, and a nice reminder that whatever Floyd did on the field wasn’t a product of scheme or lack of other offensive options, but merely because he’s a freak athlete. Between clocking a sub-4.5 forty time at the combine and showing leaping skills that are favorable to athletes like Derrick Rose and Plaxico Burress, it’s a bittersweet reminder that Notre Dame has to replace one of the best offensive weapons in the country.

***

1. bernhtp - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Floyd is amazing and will be rewarded well in the NFL.

Speaking of Sports Science and Skylar Diggins, what happened to her Sports Science segment. Every instance of it on the web appears to have been removed. Why?

2. nudeman - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Needs to improve concentration
    Has HOF talent

3. mtndguy - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Imagine what Floyd could have done with a quarterback with better ball management skills and the ability to stretch the field. It’s a shame that he was utilized to his maximum potential in his senior year.

• bernhtp - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM

As I said before, imagine Clausen, Floyd, Tate, Rudolph, Eifert, et al on the same 2010 team. It would have been one of the very top offenses in the country. The transition from Weis to Kelly was costly in this context, albeit necessary.

• mtndguy - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I think Clausen would have gone to the NFL even if Weis had stayed. He knew he would be drafted and he didn’t want to miss getting into the NFL like his brother did.

4. nudeman - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Floyd is great. I love Floyd. We all do.
    When I wrote he “needs to improve concentration” I was referring to his occasional lapses that result in dropping a perfectly thrown ball. Numerous examples of that, include deep balls at the Sun Bowl and at the Champs Sports Bowl vs. FSU.

The ball vs Miami in the Sun Bowl didn’t change the outcome.
    The ball against FSU arguably cost them the game (along with several miscues by other players).

• mtndguy - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

His dropped balls left me shaking my head at times. I agree with you, most of them seemed to be a lack of concentration.

• nudeman - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I guess it’s not unusual for a young WR. Even a great one like Floyd.

Funny thing though, his drops usually came after he’s made some outrageously difficult, leaping, diving catch with 2 guys hanging on him.

• domer77blowsgoats - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

reminds me of nickel beer night at the local jai alai fronton

we would show our 16 year old ID to some 95 year old security card that was the keeper of the .05 cent stamp then just press that stamp on each other’s hands

anyways, these guys would do double backflips off the wall, catch and throw a lazer only to have a blooper returned which would be dropped 100% of the time – Aruta!!!!!

MF is a freak and will do well in the right system with a proven QB

5. nudeman - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Slightly off topic here.

I’ve seen several very recent posts that say Lynch is done with ND. Not from crazies, but rational sounding posters. Unless something has gone on much more egregious than we know about, I say no way he leaves. His options are limited, at best.

Last point, he strikes me as a kid who will be angry and unhappy regardless of where he’s at. If he was at FL, he’d be pissed off. He’ll be pissed off at whatever NFL team he plays for. That’s just part of his package.

I’d guess his parents’ divorce hurt him badly. We never see a thing about his father being in his life. More important than where he plays football, this young man needs some counseling, love and a male mentor.

• bernhtp - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

As I said in the relevant thread, Lynch is extremely emotionally volatile, especially with respect to anger. Notre Dame provides him the best chance to deal with this with high concentration of caring/supportive kids, an explicitly spiritual atmosphere that believes in forgiveness and redemption, and coaches, faculty and staff with the specific mission of growing this kid into a great man. When his emotions get the best of him, there is a lot of support around him to get back on track. Of course, there are lines beyond which ND can’t help, and I hope and trust that he doesn’t go there. His Mom clearly believes that he is in the right place and will exert all of her influence to see he stays within the acceptable bounds.

6. charliegirl1 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Good to see Floyd finally being recognized for what he brought to ND. I can only imagine what he could’ve done at ND with a consistent QB and coach in place. He is still an underrated talent, but I think the NFL is starting to catch on. He will be a top-15 pick.