Notre Dame vs. Navy to kick off early from Dublin

Apr 17, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT

Irish Dublin

With the run-up to Dublin and the 2012 season on the (not too close) horizon, the kickoff time for the season opener against Navy has been set. And for those back in the US ready to watch the Irish start a new season, they better set an alarm clock.

Per a release from CBS Sports, who will begin their 2012 college football coverage from Ireland, the Irish and the Midshipmen will kick off at 2 p.m. in Dublin’s Aviva Stadium. That works out to a 9 a.m. start for those on the East Coast, and a ridiculous 6 a.m. start for those of us on the West Coast.

CBS will send its lead college football team of Verne Lundquist, Gary Danielson, and Tracy Wolfson to call the action.

1. papadec - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

6:00am on the West Coast? That is FREAKIN’ ridiculous! I hope the ND Administration uses what influence they have with CBS to get that changed. That is not anyway to treat fans and/or families of potential recruits, and current students.

• gtizzo - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Suggestion: Tivo or DVR? Just be sure you don’t put on College Gameday on ESPN otherwise you might get highlights.

2. idratherbeinsouthbend - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

This makes NO sense at all. What else is CBS running later in the day that they should vomit out a 9:00 am EST start time? Advertising dollars and ratings dictate programming schedules. So, how does this start time even get considered?

It’s GOTTA be something to do with the venue or local (Dublin) scheduling. I can get my lazy butt outta bed at 8:00am in my timezone, and i WILL, but this is a bit odd to say the least.

• papadec - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I can get up early, too, here in Seattle – I suppose the fans/family in Hawaii can just stay up Friday night. What a joke! This has to be one of the stupidest things ever to happen to ND Football.

3. seanb20124 - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Ughhh

4. fitzp - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I’m over here in Ireland and I don’t believe it has anything to do with local scheduling as mentioned above. The excitement is building over here for the game – I can’t wait. The ND band was in the Dublin for the St. Patrick’s Day parade and got a super reception. The tickets went on general sale and were sold out in just over 2 hours (55,000 capacity), all snapped up rapidly…….I can’t wait for the Irish to hit Ireland!

Not sure if the game will be shown on Irish television (so no local TV conflict) and since the stadium was redeveloped the majority of games are now held at night time at Lansdowne Road, so not sure why they are kicking off a 2pm local time – it must be down to CBS scheduling. I was hoping for an 8pm kick off as there would be a better atmosphere as a night game (nothing to do with pints of Guinness before the game now!) and that would be a 3pm kick off east coast time in the US.

Maybe it has to do with getting the players back to the US earlier once the game ends they get on a flight back???

Could you shed any light on this early kick off Keith?? Wish it was a night time game over here.

Go Irish!!

• yllibnosredna - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

fitzap,

I live in Dublin, and I was home in the US for the month of March for work reasons. I had no idea that the tickets were going on sale in Dublin in March so I missed out on getting tickets. When I asked some workers at Aviva stadium how to get tickets, they said I had to get them through the schools. No way, living in Dublin, am I not going to this game, but they’re sold out on Ticketmaster for the moment. Any idea where and how I can get tickets?

5. norcalirish - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:52 AM

If anybody has two tickets they want to sell keep me posted. Im not sure how I missed the tickets ORIGINALLY going on sale but I can say that the Alumni office was of NO help….multiple contacts and nobody returned our calls or messages. Anyways, I’ll be there regardless, I’m already booking my flight. Cheers

• italianirish - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Long time reader of the blog (Thanks Keith!), first time contributer. I work for an online secondary ticket market and we happen to have a sale going on today — 10% off tickets. Use the link below to get to the ND / Navy game (or flip around once you get there — the coupon will work for any ND game, pro game or concert)

Hopefully this helps. We don’t have sales often because we don’t own the tickets so this is a pretty good deal. It ends tonight at midnight on the west coast.

6. crsponge - Apr 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM

CBS will be covering the US Open Tennis Championships on that day during the afternoon. They usually don’t start their coverage of the SEC until the 3rd week of the season due to the first weekend of the tournament and then the finals the second weekend.

• irishdk - Apr 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Football>Tennis

7. bernhtp - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

While I would prefer a later start, I’m fine with early morning (8am CDT) football. It will be an interesting change, like breakfast at Wimbledon. It will be more challenging for west coasters.

This ND team should be able to physically dominate Navy and put the game away early. I hope that Kelly uses the opportunity to try out the depth chart, especially at key positions (e.g., QB and CB), unlike last year.

• oldestguard - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

That’s my take…it will special and well advertised.

A little Guiness with my sausage and black pudding !

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I don’t know. This whole thing just reeks of circus. Do we not all remember the last game the Irish played that had a circus-type feel to it? I’m thinking the USC game from last year. Night game at home, tons of recruits on campus, pumped in music over the speakers. Everything leading up to the game was just…well…a circus. And we all know how that one ended. I just really hope there isn’t a South Florida-esque letdown in this game. Go over there, take care of business, and get back home with a win.

• islandsdomer - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I kinda like it. I usually have a hard time sleeping the night before games, so a 3am kick off HST is good for me. GO IRISH!!!

8. bblack55 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Well, I’m always up by 6am anyway, so it wouldn’t be a problem except I’ll be in the middle of nowhere on the Colorado River, so I’ll have to record it. Go Irish

9. dmac4real - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

This makes very little sense for every party. The viewership #’s are going to be awful because you’ve killed half the country with the time. I really dont understand why they just couldn’t start the game at 5 over there and 12 on the east coast. But no, now I get to waste a day of sleeping in and wake up at 830…awesome.

Go Irish.

10. 1historian - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Are we not getting a bit whiny here?

• papadec - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:56 PM

1historian – Pass the cheese & crackers – of course I’ll get up to watch the game – whatever time they play. I won’t like it, but I’ll do it, and eat breakfast/brunch after the game, and cheer for the Irish as if it were 11:00am or 4:00pm. I’ll probably get a pot of corned beef & cabbage going too. Ohhhhh, and thanks for the reminder that it is Labor Day weekend.

11. 1historian - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It is the 1st day of Labor Day Weekend, if you’re on the west coast you roll outta bed @ 5 a.m., make some coffee, stroll around a little bit mumbling to yourself, step outside to watch the sun coming up, mumble a bit more, maybe make some b&e for breakfast or (something more pc, no matter), you mumble a bit more, then realize that today is the day you find out if whathisname is going to be the answer @ qb, how is the D gonna do w/o Lynch, is that kid Neal as good as they say he is, ask yourself when is the last time a college football game was played in Ireland and broadcast back to the states (answer – never) and you think to yourself how drop dead cool that is, how appropriate it is that a team with the nickname ‘Irish’ is playing there, think of how much fun it will be to lord over your friends who root for USC et. al,

or

sleep in.

Your choice

12. bearcatirishfan - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I’m quite sure my 2 year old will be up by then, I’ll just have to hide my annual season kickoff beer in my coffee mug. Yes son coffee it’s very hot, you can’t have any.

• 1historian - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

good one

13. 1historian - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Keith – I am sure I speak for at least 99% of us when I say – thanks for all you do.

14. Keith Arnold - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Not sure anyone has much of a say in this other than CBS. (Hopefully, this will end all the complaints about NBC and Ireland — this has never been an NBC game.)

As for the early start — I say embrace it. It’ll be easier for those of us there covering the game to cover it… and then enjoy the sights and sounds after. I enjoy rolling out of bed and watching football — it’s much better than waiting around all day.

15. nudeman - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Anyone leave the program today?

16. msmmh - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

9:00 am, come on guys. When I was waiting on a flight from Manas Air Base in Kyrgyzstan to Afghanistan I got up at 0330 in the morning to watch Superbowl XLIII. And it was worth every sleeping minute. It was a bit weird watching a game at 4 in the morning eating pizza and wings though, just strange.

Go, Irish

17. irishlion10 - Apr 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m on the east coast but I’ll be waking up a 6am to have a few celebratory drinks with some friends in anticipation of the new season, and the 9am kickoff still won’t come early enough. I will be struggling for those three hours before the game, wanting to know who the QB is or how they will play (if starter is already known), and wanting to know who will break the first big play (Davonte Neal on special teams? Cierre Wood gashing the middle of the Navy D? Everett Golson running a read option and going the distance? Bennett Jackson saying “Hello World!” and taking a rare Navy pass back for a pic-six?)

Quit whining, wake up a bit early, and enjoy football season being here earlier than usual. Go Irish.

18. bernhtp - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I wonder if we will see the return of the special shamrock helmets used in the Maryland game. I bet we do.

19. vanlueirish - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Worst part about a night game? Waiting all day for it to start!

I’m pumped about the 2012 season, an early start to the season isn’t as upsettig as another disappointing L to start the season would be..

GO IRISH

20. ndnut - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Just wondering, why isn’t NBC broadcasting? I thought this was our “home” neutral site game for the year.

21. ccad05 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Home neutral site is soldier field this year

22. brendanunderscoreg - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Kegs and eggs! It will be a little weird doing the pregame beer shotgun at 830 AM, but anything for the team (alcoholism). Right? Right?!

• bernhtp - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I have never understood the combination of football with large quantities of alcohol. This is doubly true of the early morning Dublin game.

I almost went to this game, but ultimately decided it was too much time and hassle for a football game.