Live Blog: Blue-Gold Game

Apr 21, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Kelly tunnel

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — After a dreary Friday filled with intermitten rain, it’s a beautiful Saturday in South Bend, where spring practice concludes with the 83rd annual Blue-Gold spring game. As usual, we’ll be live-blogging the proceedings, and the game will also be shown live on the NBC Sports channel.

With our first truly good look at the four-headed quarterback competition, the Irish offense will take on the defense in last four quarters of football before the games start counting for real. Joining me in the live chat will be two writers from The Observer, Notre Dame’s student run newspaper. Editor-in-Chief Allan Joseph and sports editor Andrew Gastelum will add some fun to the proceedings and hopefully add some on-campus insight to the fun.

So buckle up, embrace the inevitable (an Irish win) and join the fun.

***

1. nudeman - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Let’s light this candle

• islandsdomer - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

you’re a buuummm rees!!!

2. mmcss690 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

So…not being streamed on und.com as previously advertised. Would have been nice to know before 1 pm on game day!

• ndfanwabashman - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

i agree, that blows

3. nf20ae - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I know… I was really counting on und.com.. guess ill just have to watch/read it in text via live blog..

4. ct111 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM

UND fail!

5. Ben T. - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

That sucks. Was counting on streaming via UND.

6. dmac4real - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

You have got to be kidding me. NBC sports channel isnt even nationwide, and it isnt online…so now we dont get to watch it. Great Job to all.

7. Keith Arnold - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well, I guess you guys are stuck with me. Or finding a new cable TV provider. Postgame show on UND.com will feature heavy highlights and I believe game will be archived on NBCSports.com as well.

8. mmcss690 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Thank god my neighbor has nbc sports network! Win for me!

9. fnc111 - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

6-6 written all over this year.

• nudeman - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Sadly I have to agree with that
      Though that overall their offense looked very poor

And for God’s sake, Rees was just terrible.
      INT that looked exactly like every INT we saw him toss last year: Triple coverage and poorly thrown/lobbed
      2 or 3 terrible lobs on the fade routes

I don’t care if Golson fumbles every snap; I’d play him instead of Rees

• dmac4real - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Disagree. Golson looked real good. Running game looked real good. GA3 played real good. Im not really seeing how u pull 6-6 from that game. The TO are concerning, but I’m not freaking out yet. GA just needs to hold on the ball and Golson needs to start.

• nudeman - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Listen, here’s my problem: Absolutely all year long we’ve heard about eliminating the turnovers. So wouldn’t you just maybe expect they would, if nothing else, do a decent job of that today? Instead they came out and turned it over today about 18 times.

All the same stuff – Rees lobbing the ball over the middle, late and into triple coverage; Hendrix rifling a pass right to a defender for an easy pick; and Golson fumbling snaps. The only guy I’ll give a pass to is GA III because he’s young. But 2 fumbles in a glorified scrimmage can’t continue.

Whatever the coaches are doing to eliminate turnovers isn’t working. And Rees just can’t be the QB.

• dmac4real - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I still think 8-4 for this year. I take a look at the TO and this is what I see:

1. Rees interception showed why he should not be the QB

2. Hendrix interception is typical. Throws it as hard as he can and has terrible accuracy. I would rather have Rees start than Hendrix. I really dont like him.

3. The snap with Golson was just fluky. It just hit Riddick and Im not sure whose fault that is but its hard to blame Golson I think.

4. GA3. I missed the first fumble because i was forced to watch the game at bdubs (thanks UND). The second one on the option was a little concerning, but it was Rees running the option so it was slow, so i’m thinking GA3 was worried about getting popped and didn’t focus on the ball.

Maybe its optimism, but Golson, George Atkinson, the defense and the Tight Ends all looked good. Daniels made some solid plays too. I just dont see 6-6, there is too much talent.

10. nudeman - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

dmac
    You must have missed the fumbled snap by EG when he was over center.
    Mayock commented how his hands weren’t together.

Is this going to be another season blown up by turnovers?

• dmac4real - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Saw that. Expected one of those from EG because its been a concern from practice, but that certainly is concerning that I expect that.

• nudeman - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes. How do you make it to this level and not be able to take a snap?

Like getting to the big leagues and having trouble hitting a batting practice fastball.

Ridiculous.

• dmac4real - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Maybe I’m the only one, but I enjoyed watching EG play today, and I thought he was by far the most impressive. There are defiantly concerns, and I guess now that I really think about it the TO are really scaring me. I guess well see how the season goes.

11. newyorknd - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

On the plus side for Golson, he didn’t turn the ball over even with the fumbled snap. We don’t need to rely on GA3 with the depth at running back ( don’t forget Amir ). Also, it’s April 21st, not August 21st. There is still time for some of these players without any real experience ( like Golson and GA3 ) to take away something meaningful from this and build on it. For someone like Tommy, not so much.

12. yaketyyacc - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

the results of the Blue Gold game only highlighted what was seen during spring practice. to paraphrase General Patton: they don’t look like football players, they don’t act like football players, so why should they be expected to play like football players?
    the potential is there. intensity, speed, focus. and discipline. given these, the Irish will crush annihilate, destroy any team in front of them. given these.
    Tommy Rees is playing to the full extent of his talent. just not good enough to be our quarterback.
    Golson has more talent then he shows. he needs to be pushed.
    To the Notre Dame Football team, another quote from General Patton: Attack, always attack! YOU have to win the National Championship, it is not given because you have an ND on your uniform or halfheartedly slap a sign that says Play Like a Champion.
    You can give me your answer starting Sept. 1

13. papadec - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Well the good news is that John Montelus, OL, from Everett, Mass committed to ND today. Welcome to ND Football John.

14. mtflsmitty - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I agree with your thoughts, NYND. One thing I often think about when I come for my daily dose of doom and gloom from the comment section is the constant access to information (not the same as insight) and the 24/7/365 news cycle. Blue and Gold games weren’t televised nationally 20 years ago, video of daily spring practice was not available, guys like Keith didn’t blog and fools like us used to take seven months off from obsessing. But now everything is served up to analyze, deconstruct, and overanalyze. And I’ve come to understand that human nature for the most outspoken folks tends to lean to the pessimistic.

GAIII looked like a beast today. He ran with strength, patience, and great speed. Theo looked to be at midseason form, Wood looked great in his few touches, and Golsen made plays that no one has made in that stadium for 20 years. Sans the completion to Ishaq, AH looked very solid. The TD to Eifert was a great read and absolute bullet for 6.

I want TR to be better than he is. But he’s not. Loads of poise wasted on a nice young man with D3 talent. Not sure who above made the point about the AG3 fumble on the option, but they were right on. TR has no flow about himself and pitched the ball way too late.

I said on this board 2 months ago that 2012 could be a very tough season. The schedule is nightmarishly insane. That said, look for a 3-1 start to the season. Between now and next October a lot is going to change. With the exception of TR, everyone will be better, and the starting team will have lots of reps together. All the things we have been wringing our hands over will be things of the past. And just like in the 80’s we will be thinking about the team when it matters…during the season.

15. mtflsmitty - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Nice appearance, Keith, on the broadcast today. Nice to put a face with all the writing I enjoy so much. But I can also see why you have chosen to focus on the written word. :-)

Thanks for all the effort you make to give us information and insight each day.

16. mtflsmitty - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Lastly comment…although your racist comments last week had me shaking my head with disgust, your Forever 21 comments earlier actually got an audible laugh out of me. It’s not an even trade off, so don’t get any ideas. But I have to hand it to you…That was damn funny.