Irish land their man in tight end Mike Heuerman

Apr 26, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT

Naples News Naples News

In a head-to-head battle with Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly won a key recruiting victory for Naples, Florida’s Mike Heuerman, both team’s top tight end target. The blue-chip tight end, with offers from some of the best schools in the nation, chose the Irish over the Buckeyes, choosing to play in South Bend, though his brother plays for Meyer in Columbus.

Heuerman, at 6-foot-4, 225-pounds and still growing, had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, and countless others. His other finalists were Miami and LSU. After skipping over a tight end last year, landing their top target in Heuerman was key to an Irish recruiting class that can close the book on the position.

Christian McCollum of IrishSportsDaily.com was able to track down Heuerman about his choice to pick the Irish over the Buckeyes. This small snippet seems to be the quote of record:

“I fell in love with Notre Dame. That’s the place for me and my future and I can’t wait to do the things I’ll be doing there,” Heuerman told IrishSportsDaily.com. “The campus, the people, the atmosphere, the legacy, the players, Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert and Troy Niklas. Just some of the people I have to look up to. Kyle Rudolph was one of the first people I called and Tyler Eifert was one of the second few. I just love everything about it. The coaches, the football and academically, I feel it brings the best for my life and everything else.”

The response comes straight from the textbook Irish fans appreciate, and probably more now than ever considering Heuerman’s only relationship on the team beforehand was with since departed defensive end Aaron Lynch. It’s been a hectic few weeks for the tight end, who had been to Notre Dame and Ohio State in hopes of making a final decision. There were rumors out of Columbus that Heuerman committed to Meyer while he was visiting his brother for the spring game, but he denied them.

Still, where there’s recruiting smoke, there’s sometimes fire, and Irish fans had to be holding their breath as Notre Dame battled their arch-nemesis for a player the Irish needed to have. With coaches Scott Booker and Tony Alford on the case, the Irish came through, securing Heuerman’s commitment by showing just how versatile the offense can be and how big of a weapon tight end has been over the past few years.

Heuerman is closing the book on recruiting, unwilling to take calls or visits from other schools. He’s the 12th commitment to the 2013 recruiting class.

***

1. brendanunderscoreg - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM

“where there’s recruiting smoke, there’s sometimes fire” great pickup for us but let’s see if he’s still in the fold in february. gonna be tough to withstand urban and family ties to osu.

i’m concerned about the OL from boston also. three days prior to committing to the irish he ranked another team as his leader during his visit to that school. feel like he might have pulled the trigger too soon.

i’m impressed by the haul so far. but where are all of the “big skill” recruits? so far i only see this TE and the DE from columbus (another concern for poaching by OSU). i’m too lazy to look it up but is there someone else i’m missing?

• nudeman - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Geez, can we at least celebrate for a minute before we start worrying about a decommit 6 months from now that probably won’t happen?

As my Dad once said “I’ve spent 99% of my life worrying about things that never happened”

He’s dead now

The worrying got him

• richardsmoker - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

nudist,
        You kill me. I read this stuf everey day and never post. But this comment crasked me up. Hope you were kidding about dad.

• brendanunderscoreg - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

hahaha

• brendanunderscoreg - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM

and i’m not really worrying about it as much as expecting it. i hope to be pleasantly surprised in february.

and i REALLY hope you were kidding about your dad.

• clannahaw - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:50 AM

where is the need for big skill recruits? We need offensive line depth and cornerbacks, other than that you pick up the best players at any other position. Can’t you be happy?

• brendanunderscoreg - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Brian Kelly said at the presser in February that he would be going after big skill this class. I think we only signed 1 last year (Romeo Okwara).

• ndmick - Apr 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I believe a corner, which I consider a big need and a skill spot. But generally agree with you (although it looks like many are unhappy) that lets see who is stilll in fold in Feb 2013…I think Urban has made it clear that he doesnt stop recruiting until signing day…but a great haul, and there is security in number (12 as of now).

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Excellent pick up by BK and staff. For having started off somewhat slowly, we are really coming on strong now with this class. It’s turning into a pretty nice haul overall and I hope they add another 7 or 8 big time prospects before it’s all said and done. Also, congrats to MMF for his selection as 13th overall pick tonight by Arizona. MMF and Fitzgerald are gonna be a great one two punch. Maybe the Cards can trade for Brady Quinn and have somebody with the arm strength to actually get the ball to them.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

And congrats also to Harrison Smith who was taken in first round. Two domers in the first round since…..I can’t remember that far back. Keith?

• brendanunderscoreg - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

charlie weis really could recruit well. now about coaching those recruits…

• kgirish - Apr 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

1994. What players? I don’t know.

3. sbhooridas - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Kevin,

How much of Heurmans recruitment came down to ND and OSU? Want to agree we took on Urban but not sure if he was that heavily involved on this one.

4. 9irish - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

that’s great. ND has definitely never had problems at the TE position, that’s for sure. Need to keep them lined up as time passes by.

5. tpdsdomer - Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I promise you that if Meyer wants this kid as badly as I’m hearing he does, he’ll stop at nothing to get him. While I’m feeling pretty confident he’ll remain with ND, I’ll be uneasy about this until his letter of intent creeps through the fax machine in the coache’s offices.

• nudeman - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Despite all the hype on Heuerman (Tim Prister who I totally respect says he can play right now) somewhere I saw that he’s not even in someone’s top 250. Can’t remember if that’s Rivals, ESPN or someone else.

Glad to have him, and the odds of him flipping to tOSU are well below 50%. He’s not Decker.

6. ndmick - Apr 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Heuerman listed as a four star on Rivels. Urban has a four star commited from California.already.

7. cbhoov144 - May 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So who’s saying negative things about Coach Booker? The SB Tribune report on Heurman’s commitment includes the following quote from him:

“If anybody says a negative thing about coach Booker, he’s got to be lying,” Heuerman said. “He’s a great person. You don’t find many coaches like him. He’s definitely one that will take care of you, produce you into the football player you want to be, and also produce you into the kind of guy you want to be.”

It stands to reason that Heurman wouldn’t have said this unless someone was saying negative things about Coach Booker, and it’s hard not to suspect Urban Meyer. It’s a shame that this kind of behavior goes on in college football and is too often rewarded. I think we dodged a bullet when Urban didn’t end up at ND. Perhaps we would have another championship or two, but he left the Florida program in a mess. I hope that ND is trying to win the right way and continues to do so.

8. clevelandschronic2 - May 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM

For all the shit you nd fans talk abt urban and THE OHIO STATE you seem to forget your coach and your team hasnt won a title since the 40s. And how about kelly with all these arrests lately. Your starting qb is currently in jail facing felony charges and your LB. Lmao your teams been a funny joke for years every year its this is the year we win a title n by the 3-4 week each season your hopes are hilariously crushed. All your negative comments about THE OHIO STATE and our coach (Who u tried so hard to get twice) just make your fans look as horrible as your team has been year after year.