Rees, Calabrese face uncertainty after off-campus arrest

May 3, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT

Rees Calabrese Mug Shot

Tommy Rees and Carlo Calabrese were arrested by South Bend police after an off-campus party was broken up just after midnight. Calabrese, who is 21, faces disorderly conduct charges, and has been bonded out of jail for $150. Rees, who is only 20, faces more serious charges, including public intoxication, resisting law enforcement, minor consumption, and battery to an officer, which is a felony charge.

Multiple news outlets are reporting that Rees ran from the scene of the party, and was taken to the ground by a police officer. Rees allegedly kneed the officer in the stomach, leading to the felony charge, before he was pepper sprayed. Calabrese argued loudly with police, unwilling to stay on a sidewalk while he watched his friend arrested, leading to his arrest.

Wednesday marked the final day of classes at Notre Dame. The late night arrest also marks another offseason storyline that’ll likely loom large until the Irish head to Dublin. For Calabrese, the stakes aren’t likely as high, and you can expect him back in an Irish uniform on opening day. But for Rees, the Irish’s starting quarterback whose job is already under fire after an open competition this spring, the future isn’t as clear, especially with a felony charge looming. (A felony charge that might not last until 1 p.m. ET, when Rees is formally arraigned.)

The rush to define this story is already in full swing, with news leaking late last night and an avalanche of information already taking over social media and the college football web-world today. (Adam Jacobi, a well-respected writer now working at the Bleacher Report has already taken the reins on the “Expel Tommy Rees or Notre Dame has lost its principles story,” with his original source being an anonymous message board poster.)

Even with the most serious charge dropped, it was a bone-headed decision by Rees, choosing to run when South Bend police arrived at a party because of a noise complaint. With early reports of Rees kicking a police office turning into a potentially accidental knee to the abdomen, the early rumors of what happened have quickly turned into something far less sensational. “It wasn’t terribly violent, but it was enough to be considered resisting,” South Bend police Captain Phil Trent told the Chicago Tribune, while also saying that a police office “had the wind knocked out of him” while trying to stop the group running away.

The arrest of two Notre Dame football players at an off-campus party is certainly newsworthy, but you can’t help but wonder what the reaction would be like if the player facing the most serious charges wasn’t the quarterback almost universally reviled by a fan base that’s put last season’s disappointment almost squarely on his shoulders. People will immediately look at Michael Floyd‘s DUI arrest as the easiest comparison for the Rees case, but if you’re looking for precedent, look back two off seasons to tight end Mike Ragone‘s arrest on the Indiana Toll Road for marijuana possession. Ragone, leaving South Bend after the spring semester ended, was arrested and booked for possession, an incident that had many thinking it was the end of the road for the star-crossed tight end.

At the time, the response out of South Bend was this: “Coach Kelly is aware of the situation and feels it is a serious matter,” Notre Dame’s Brian Hardin said. “He has spoken with Mike, but any team-related action that may be forthcoming would be handled internally.”

Today, Notre Dame also released a statement after the arrests of Calabrese and Rees:

“The University is aware of this incident and is confident that it will be handled in a prompt and professional manner through the criminal justice system. Internal discipline is handled privately in accord with our own policies and federal law.”

It’s clear there’ll be internal discipline from Notre Dame, both from the University and the football program. If Rees’ felony stays in play, there’s also a real chance that he’s played his last down for the Irish. While it may be fun to be first, or to have the strongest opinion, incidents like this often take more than a few hours to play out. And if we’ve learned anything in these two years since Brian Kelly took over the football program, they rarely play out in public.

We know for sure Tommy Rees and Carlo Calabrese made a bad decision last night. What comes next, we’ll have to wait and see.

UPDATED: 3:06 p.m. ET — Head coach Brian Kelly has released a statement through Notre Dame:

“I am aware of last night’s incident involving two of our football players. I am of course very concerned given the nature of the allegations, but I am still gathering information. I’ll withhold judgment until I can collect all the facts and speak with both Carlo and Tommy.”

SECOND UPDATE — Rees was released on $250 bond and felony charges have been dropped. He still faces four misdemeanor charges.

150 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

In other news, manna is falling from heaven all over ND Nation

• echo5050 - May 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This is an awful comment. Regardless of how you feel about Rees as a starter (and I personally think he should be 3rd string), this young man’s life has changed forever in a negative way. Yes, he was drinking under age and probably acted stupid, but that’s nothing the vast majority of college students don’t also do. And let’s not forget that the SBPD has a history of police abuse and targeting of Notre Dame students.

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

echo
        I am appalled at the sanctimony oozing from the keyboards here

No one legitimately wants to see TR’s life ruined, including me
        And it won’t be
        He’ll be embarrassed and have to deal with the situation, but will recover
        There is about ZERO chance this remains a felony

And I’d say he’ll most likely be back at ND as well

In the meantime, this is just a few guys wisecracking, not doing any harm
        And if you think this board is bad (it isn’t), check the 4HL
        It’s a 24×7 party there

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

thank you for making our collective points

we come here to get away from the BS posts at 4HL and the rest of the boards and have to see nothing but your immaturity on display 24/7

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Goat,
        You are a profoundly self important, uptight prig
        You say “we come here …” as if you speak for everyone

There are many who are wisecracking here, not just me
        But somehow you view yourself as the one who has to step forward as the adult.

Seriously, go yell at your kids or people who are on your lawn.
        Tommy will be fine without you.

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

name calling noted and added immeasurably to your post

as of 1:33 EST there is exactly ONE “wisecrack” on this post courtesy of you and THREE retorting said “wisecrack” – looks like justified use of the plurality of “we” and “our” to me….

• georgegipp - May 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

No, Nude, it does do harm. While it is not surprising that you are too obtuse to understand this, it is surprising to see even you revel in the situation. The fact that other message boards might have similar comments is irrelevant (take responsibility for what YOU wrote, don’t point the finger at others). If you were a true fan you would at least recognize the inappropriate nature of your comments with regards to this incident (even if you don’t support one or both as a starter).

I hope this incident is the last straw for ND, Father Jenkins, Prof. Affleck-Graves, et al when it comes to dealing with the South Bend Police, who regularly prey on ND students instead of actually fighting crime in SB. I know it was reported that a phone complaint triggered police action, but I rather doubt it. More likely a gang of police patrolling the usual student houses looking for a party to bust on what they know is the last day of class. I hope a good reporter starts to really dig into SB police action on this and other cases.

As for Tommy knocking the breath out of a cop: really? More likely fat cop was too out of shape from gorging on doughnuts to chase the slowest member of the team without losing his breath.

• poppajohn818 - May 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If that is so why would any ND student act this let alone a football player. Do not make excuses for stuipity

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

georgegipp

You’ve determined that the SB Police are at fault with almost no facts at your disposal.
        You’re an apologist. And YOU are telling ME about taking responsibility?
        How about if Tommy does the same? He allegedly drank alcohol, resisted arrest, kicked a cop and had his boy Calabrese hurling threats that “his people” would get the cops.

We’ll let this play out in the judicial system.

In the meantime you’re no better than anyone else here with the conclusions you’ve drawn

• georgegipp - May 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Nude,

1. I am not an apologist. Tommy clearly made a lot of mistakes last night. He was stupid to run and if he was crazy enough to assault a cop, he deserves all the consequences he will surely face.

2. You are wrong to revel in his mistakes. If you were a true fan you would not take pleasure in it (regardless of your views on his QB skills).

The view that SBPD unfairly and aggressively targets ND students (not ND athletes, the entire student body) has been aired many times over the past few years. Here are just a few highlights:

Police arrest 104 ND students for off-campus parties in 2-month time span:

Police shove ND student (caught on film) before arresting him for public intoxication:

A quick google will reveal about a half-dozen additional incidents in the past few years.

• chicagoirish23 - May 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Although I’m not surprised by nudeman’s joy in this, it’s sad to watch two kids taking part in what 90% of other college kids do during their time in school and risk everything. I hope for Tommy’s sake that Keith is right and that he does get the chance to return to Notre Dame. I’m not the biggest fan of Tommy as a QB, but when I saw this story this morning I didn’t celebrate it because it might mean he won’t take the field against Navy. I’m embarrassed for him and for the University. It’s a kid making stupid decision and putting his future in jeopardy. I wish the best for Tommy and hope that he can keep his head on straight through this. I don’t share the same venom that other posters have for Tommy, I’m a diehard fan of Notre Dame and I support every member of the team. Tommy is a member of that team and I hope he can bounce back and compete.

Good reporting Keith.

• irish4006 - May 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Hey, I dislike (I am trying to be polite) TR as a QB as much as (or more than) the next guy, but I don’t want anything bad for him in life. What he did, is not that serious of an offense; we all did similar things in college. It may sting a little bit, but not stick. The University will be pissed because of the negative publicity and may have some harsh punishments, he will likely be suspended from the team for a little bit, anything more than that, I will be the first one to call them out on that.

I have a suspicion that there were others from the football team, but Tommy was the only one to not be able to outrun (a possibly out of shape) cop.

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

there is much more at stake here than just the starting QB status – football is far down the list of priorities given what this young kid is facing:

1. God
      2. Country
      3. Family
      4. Notre Dame

taking a cheap shot, while expected from you, has no place on this message board

but I guess this arrest does inevitably make your prediction of TR starting wrong…

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED BECAUSE YOU TWO ALREADY PUSHED PAST YOUR QUOTA OF SCHOOL-GIRL BICKERING…

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

THIS POST HAS ALSO BEEN DELETED.

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM

nice – love the fact I get deleted for defending my post from profanity and name calling – good to be the king…

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

You’d be permanently deleted if I had my say

• domer77blowsgoats - May 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

this is the best of the worst comebacks to date

congratulations Nude – you have rightly won back your DOTD award

with a lot of hard work, determination, unflinching nerves and a little luck you might be able to retain your title – Godspeed Nude….

• chicagoirish23 - May 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

domer77blowsgoats & nudeman – don’t the either of you just ever relent and stop trying to get in the last post? The majority of comments you make are removed by Keith, why, because they add no value to anything and I mean anything as they don’t prove your value to a Notre Dame discussion board, your level of intelligence, your abilty to be funny, or even your ability to insult the other.

Please just give the rest of us a break w/out KA having to step in again.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Cmon guys keep it going!!!!!!

domergoat, something i’ve always wanted to say to you sir: My people are going to get you!!!(insert uncle sam pic)

• Jennifer - May 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Just like Tommy and Carlo wish they could have a “Do Over,” I’m hoping you feel the same, Nude. If not, you (rightfully) will have lost all credibility as a contributor here. This is a somber moment in time, and I really appreciate the excellent posts from the other contributors. I am grieving…for the boys, the team, the school, ND Nation, and, as a parent, especially for their families. So much opportunity out the door due to poor choices. For any of us who went to college, a good quote to think about is “To remember is to understand.” Going for the jugular this time isn’t funny, it’s pathetic. My heart goes out to all who are wounded by the trickle down effect this will have. What a sad, sad day it is.

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Jennifer
        OMG … a “somber moment”. “My heart goes out …”
        Sorry … that’s ridiculous

ALLEGEDLY no one died/ALLEGEDLY no one was injured
        A college kid got arrested for drinking and kicking a cop. Happens nearly every day

I was poking fun and having a laugh.
        You and others are absolutely KILLING me with your holier than thou posts.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Nude, ignore Jennifer. She’s a nd clown. I am truly ashamed to say that I have to share ND fandom with someone such as Jennifer Montana, herself. I love your hubby Jen, but I sure don’t love YOU!!!

• mag1631 - May 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Agree with nudeman. Worse stuff happens in the world people. These were two idiot kids that messed up. Yep others mess up also. Who cares. You run or you don’t. Yep most young ignorant kids will run. Well I guess not most. LOL it was just Tommy. Let’s not act like he was kidnapped by pirates in Somalia though. $hit happens. He ran. His choice. Drunk or sober. A learning experience. His fault. His fault. His Fault. No need to act like it’s some weird cult thing. I think you…Jennifer….need the reality check. THis is typical dumb $hit. Happens in life you know.

• runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I echo the others here who have criticized this comment. It’s ridiculous. The story is about a college kid who made a bad decision to drink at a party and an even more troubling decision (if true) of hitting an arresting police officer.

That said, the facts will come out. I mean, there is no way you can hit a cop and expect to have the charges dropped no matter who you are. But, there are a lot of circumstances that are not known that lead one to doubt some of the facts as asserted by the police. For example, if Tommy was cuffed when he “kneed” the cop, isn’t it at least possible that the action was unintentional? In most instances, the defendant has to intend to commit the crime and certainly in a felony charge, this is the case.

The second question is why the cops felt the need to pepper spray the defendants. I mean, one of the issues that is in question in the criminal defense community is the use of pepper spray and stun-guns. Cops tend to overuse when their directives are not followed and some use these tactics in part to intimidate. I’m not saying that this happend, but you never know.

Regardless, it was a bad decision by these guys.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

He couldn’t get away from any fatas D lineman why da hell would he think he could run away from the pooooooooooooolice? The cop must have been one fat son of a gun to make tommy think that he could out run the guy.

Newsflash: College kids drink and do drugs. Even football players. They snort cocaine, adderall and smoke crystal meth too it happens.

Thank god he didn’t get caught w a giant rock or something. Let’s move on.

2. fnc111 - May 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM

At least Georgia, Florida, MSU, and scUM win games after half their team gets arrested. Our guys get arrested and then go win 6 or 8 games.

3. cameronemclaughlin - May 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM

To celebrate this incident because it likely removes Tommy from the QB competition is like celebrating a collapse of our nation’s economy because it would likely reduce an incumbent’s chances of winning reelection.

Both are asinine. It is appropriate to consider that Tommy might be a part of “ND Nation.” If the guy who put himself on the line to start 12 of 13 games last year for the Irish is not part of ND Nation, I’m not sure what it’s comprised of.

Tommy would be an invaluable backup quarterback this year, and I hope everything works out all right for him personally and on the field.

• runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I agree with you — fully. It’s incredible to see how the masses go out and just wish for bad news in order to accomplish their objective. No way. That is the wrong approach. We should be sad for the school and for Tommy and Carlo (but should expect justice all the same).

4. 9irish - May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM

First, I highly doubt that this will be a felony charge (not knowing, of course, what really happened with the cop). Second, college students getting drunk and running away from the cops is not exactly a new idea. Third, Rees picked an extremely bad time for this to happen to him. I hope the women were pretty damn good looking.

• papadec - May 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

9irish – and/or the beer nice and cold.

5. ndrocks2 - May 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Keith since you didn’t feel this was worthy of posting until 12:42PM ET and it has been all over the place for hours why didn’t you wait until after the 1PM ET you listed and maybe get ahead of the curve for a change on what the charges will be? Good blog for discussion but late as usual on anything close to breaking news.

• chicagoirish23 - May 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I’ve read the same article on every website that has any interest in Notre Dame or college football. The first time I read an article that even mentioned anything different was from Keith. Although Keith has said this himself, when you have everyone and their mother tweeting and blogging what does it matter how quickly Keith post his article? He’s not out to win a speed contest, people who do that report wrong information and I thank Keith for having some integrity and not reposting what someone else has to say. He takes the time to investigate it himself and provides us, his loyal readers, something of substance that’s actually worth reading, not something that’s regurigtated and wrong. The reason most people read and follow Keith is because he can write the same story everyone else writes, but he can add something new or provide an angle that nobody else is displaying.

Thanks for the new and useful information Keith – keep up the good work.

• irish4006 - May 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

We like this blog for the insight he brings. There are other ways to get the latest and greatest in news.

Thank you for the hard work, Keith!

• fitzp - May 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

100% agree with the above comment. Super work as always Keith – you give a great insight into the Irish football program – first stop on the internet everytime Keith! Go Irish!!!

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Give him a break guys. Keith’s like a NY Jamaican monnnnn…he’s got 89 other jobs that pays better than this!

• Keith Arnold - May 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

ndrocks2,

chicagoirish23 answered this better than I could.

-KA

• ndrocks2 - May 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I get Keith is a great guy, I also understand nothing listed in his article is new other than the 1PM timeline, he could have “taken his time” and “got it right” one hour later and he would have gotten the court proceeding included. In closing as you guys mention there are other ways to get your news on Notre Dame Football other than the blog called “Inside the Irish.” Question is then why does he take the time to write anything at all? Because it is news and prompts conversation, some we agree with some we don’t, mission accomplished.

6. jumpthewake - May 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Sacked by the South Bend police. I’m pretty sure Golson or Hendrix wouldn’t have had this problem!

• bogtrottin - May 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

i am embarrassed to say that i enjoyed this comment immensely

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

They were all there but they only caught CC and TR

7. jomilly - May 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I think all would agree, that this isnt how you wanted TR to be demoted as the qb. Rather someone actually win the spot over him. Sad day

8. runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It’s pretty rough. I mean, he is the starting quarterback and he can’t stay out of trouble. I’d say, regardless of whether the guy kneed the cop in the groin or whatever, he is at a party and is intoxicated. And the starting quarterback, who is underage, can’t do this. It was a bad decision that Rees made. Period. No, I don’t want his life “ruined,” which it won’t be, but he made a really bad decision to go to a party with underage drinking and to drink. I know, I was in college — may have even had a drink while underage. But, this — he’s not some random student.

One final comment: the judgment of the group seems to be that we shouldn’t allow Rees’ life to “be ruined.” Only Rees controls his life. If he struck the cop he’s in trouble.You don’t have to talk to the police. You don’t have to cooperate with the police. But you can’t hit cops. This isn’t Somalia.

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

runners
      That’s a great post.
      99% of us here have been intoxicated, maybe even as underage kids
      One thing I ALWAYS have known though, regardless of how drunk I ever might have been:

IF A COP TELLS YOU TO DO SOMETHING, YOU DO IT.
      It’s not a negotiation

Rees made a terrible mistake
      It doesn’t change my opinion of him: I still think he’s a good kid and a good teammate
      I’ve said that forever. And this will be bargained down to a misdemeanor and he’ll be back at ND

In the meantime to all you apologists out there, if we make a joke or two about it, so what?

• dmac4real - May 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Spare me. Im all for saying me made a dumb mistake, but you’re saying he cant drink now? I realize its against the law, but at most schools very few abide to that, maybe Notre Dame is different, IDK. I could honestly care less if he got an MIP, hes in college and hes going to drink. The problem was with the cop. Again, I dont know much about SB cops, but the cops ive dealt with in college towns just tell you to shut up and go home. No reason to run/ kick/ yell “My people will get you”

• runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

So, a couple of comments:

1.) The problem was that Rees went out drinking. We can say that college kids are all doing this all the time and they’re doing it all over the country. Fair point. But they’re not hitting cops. And so assuming that the facts in the complaint are true and that Rees struck an officer intentionally,

• runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So, a couple of comments:

1.) The problem was that Rees went out drinking. I’m not saying, necessarily, that Rees cannot go out drinking. I am saying that he is paying a price for having gone out drinking. It’s one thing to have three guys or five guys sitting around playing cards and drinking in a college apartment or dorm room. It’s quite another to show up at a college party and drink until you are yelling at cops.

2.) We can say that college kids are all doing this all the time and they’re doing it all over the country. Fair points that college kids drink. But they’re not hitting cops. And so assuming that the facts in the complaint are true and that Rees struck an officer intentionally, that is the problem. And it stems from the drinking.

3.) There is such a thing as forgiveness. Rees’ off-season was just ruined by the decisions that he made on Wednesday night. I feel bad for the kid. But these decisions were his decisions. He’s going to have a crappy off-season but will rebuild himself and his reputation.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This I have to say was left field…I mean Clausen never got arrested. He’s the kid I thought would be arrested but he turned out really one of the better ones. Tommy, I did not expect this. I had him pegged as a uber nerdball study hall library ratgeek.

9. ttirish - May 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The finl straw. If he did assault a police officer, no matter how non-violently, he is out and not just the football team. A night he will remmember and regret the rest of his life.

10. Keith Arnold - May 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Assaulting a police officer and getting tackled by one are two different things.

Again — let’s just let this play out.

And it was the last day of class and a beautiful spring day. I can tell you I put myself in that situation every last day of class in my ND career, and I suspect a few thousand of us did as well.

• runners00 - May 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Very true, very true. There is a big difference between assaulting a police officer and getting tackled by one. But even if you get tackled by a police officer, you’re generally not free to physically strike an officer.

It’s tough. Now of course, thanks to the very conservative Supreme Court, I believe that these guys can be held until Monday without being charged unless state law requires them to be charged earlier than Monday. Yuck

Honestly, as a parent, I have to say I hope TR gets a lot out of this horrible experience, but as a citizen I think that cops have better things to do than bust up college parties. Yuck

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Keith, I completely agree, we all were there during our days in South Bend. I remember when Corby’s or The Library would get raided and everyone would run out the back door. But for the grace of God, so…

BTW, I’m having mental fade. What was the name of the bar diagonally across from Corby’s at the corner of South Bend Ave and Eddy St?

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bern, have you ever done acid? Followed the grateful dead? Well I have…

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Dick, I’m actually embarrassed to admit how straight I am. Never did acid. Don’t do drugs; rarely drink; haven’t been drunk since just after college, which was a very long time ago.

I did drink a bit during school, but generally the same or less than others.

So, how many Dead concerts have you been to? I have a couple of friends that have been to over a hundred. They, like you, are no strangers to acid.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Keith, Cmon mannnn….You don’t drink…..Please, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You let me down so much for not being a bible rat like the rest of us on the board, how dare you?

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Not very often and never very much. Sometimes my wife serves some wine with dinner, but that’s about it.

I’m not against it; just don’t care for it that much. I got really wasted a few times at Notre Dame, and that pretty much cured me. I don’t make a big deal out of it either way, unlike many others here.

• papadec - May 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

NOT JUST @ ND!

11. fnc111 - May 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Is echo5050, echowaker on Irish illustrated? That guy bashes Dayne Crist any chance he gets but defends the turnover machine like it’s nobodies business. Muy annoying.

GoIrish!

12. bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Here’s my take from what little I see from public information and from what I generally know:

1. Rees and so many others party to blow off steam after the end of classes. They have been working their asses off for months. Please save me any sanctimony about underage drinking.
    2. They were on private party and not driving. Subsequent testing showed them to be unfit to drive, but not totally loaded for walking around in a house.
    3. They may have been making a lot of noise, but again this is not uncommon at this time of year.
    4. South Bend cops have a terrible reputation and relationship with ND students. This has been true for decades, at least. SB cops look for ways to get ND students. Trust me on this.
    5. Because of the reputation and relationship, it is not uncommon street wisdom to run when the cops raid the premises (house or bar). Your chances for getting away are good and the alternative is a night or two in jail and have to spend time/money defending charges.
    6. The cops – several of them – raided the house where Rees and co were partying. A simple noise complaint normally just gets a “please keep it down” warning from a single patrol car. These cops appear to have been wanting to make arrests as has been customary (see above).
    7. Heeding the conventional wisdom and fearing the consequences otherwise, Rees ran. He didn’t obey the order to stop and was wrestled down, probably violently. Whether he reflexively reacted (extending knee) or not, I don’t know. However, this kid has zero history of violent/aggressive behavior and I don’t believe he had any intention to assault a cop.
    8. Carlo’s response – yelling at the cop while they were restraining/arresting Tommy – indicates anger as opposed to fear, guilt, or shame to me. This leads me to believe that the cops were acting extremely aggressively, especially in the context of an otherwise peaceful private party.

Tommy et al clearly were dumb, but I don’t think he belongs in jail or have his life ruined. People need to think about this in context.

• ekalderf - May 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM

As parent of ND athlete involved in very similar incident(minus the felony charge), i would expect the following a 1st time offense: 1)Res Life will require alcohol abuse counseling + 50hrs community service. 2) coach will suspend him for a game or two.

He should and will be given a second chance. If not he is being treated differently.

And btw the SB Police and State Excise Cops target these parties and are notoriously heavy handed in breaking them up.

Go Irish

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM

ekalderf….the voice of reason. For what its worth, I agree completely with what you said. Also, I think these cops need to back off a little bit. I am not saying that they should not arrest the kid if he’s being a moron but many college town pigs usually give you a break, especially if they know you’re an athelete. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes at university of illinois.

BUT having said that, in this case, sounds like they needed to be arrested.
        1. You don’t run from a pig.
        2. You don’t talk back to a pig. You just piss them off more.

They will learn but even I have heard about the SB police dept and I don’t go to school there or live there. Good luck driving around past 10pm w/o getting pulled over.

• dickasman - May 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Cocaine’s a hell of a drug!

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You undoubtedly have infinitely more experience with it than I do.

13. ndnphx - May 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Excellent points made by so many above: kids blowing off steam, South Bend Police targeting students (and all of us who went to ND know about that), felony is not going to stick, Twitter and message boards blow everything up in a microsecond, etc, etc.

That being said, someone needs to point out that if this had incident happened last night in Columbus, Ohio, we’d all be killing Urban Meyer on this board right now, and rightfully so. BK has no such track record. He has been engaged in “changing the culture” of ND football. TR is one of BK’s “my guys”.

I’d be the last to expect an ND football player to always behave like a choir boy, not in today’s world, nor hold BK accountable for monitoring every player every minute. I do expect the head coach to have set a tone, and established some standards and baselines for expected behavior, especially given the fish bowl ND football lives in. Discipline on the field last year was atrocious. When it shows up off the field as well, red flags start going up for me.

I am with Keith that it is most prudent to let this story play all the way out before any judgements should be made about the young men involved. But I already am not very comfortable with how the bigger picture seems to be trending at the moment.

14. yaketyyacc - May 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’m sore. why wasn’t I invited to the party. let’s see. fact. acting on a complaint. who complained? the house in question is toward the end of nortre dame ave. NEXT TO THE CEMETERY. so evidently, it was loud enough t o wake the dead, and cause them to call the keysotne south bend crack police dept. that reacted with enough force to quell the watt’s riot. and for a party, no less. what devotiion to duty.
    hey, spring p ractice is over, the semester is over. the summer ahead. PARTY TIME. fighting no. damage to ajjoining property? no. raucous noise on the street? no. loud music? you bet! lots of fun, and a good time? yes yes yes. oh, it is the Notre Dame quarterback. and I thougth he was perfection, the personification of holiness, certainly on the road to canonization. wow. just a 19 year old kid letting off a little steam. what did some guy named Je… say. he who is withhout sin cast the first beer bottle. empty of course. empty

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It’s actually not near the cemetery. The 700 block is actually way down Notre Dame Ave, right across South Bend Ave (SR 23). It’s near where Louie’s Bar used to be (I hung out there many moons ago), since converted to Club 23, which I don’t know is still operational from my pass by a couple of weeks ago.

15. brendanfitzgibbons - May 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I made a similar post during the Aaron Lynch departure and Ill say this again, there seems to be a double standard with ND fans about our school. If any other school had the list of scandals, yes scandals as we have had in the last two years, which are all chronicled here, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1170661-notre-dame-football-tommy-rees-arrest-should-be-enough-for-dismissal, we would be up an arms calling that school dirty, cheap and corrupt but when our kids do it, its just kids, “blowing off steam?” Im not jumping to any conclusions about TR, but all people ever do on this message board is talk about how special of a place ND, but clearly we all have to see that its flawed school just like every other school. Putting 100% faith in any institution is dangerous business because the institution will always fail and have its fair share of shortcomings. As much as I love ND, its not above the law, and sorry my heart does not go out to Tommy Rees. If Tommy Rees was the starting quarterback of USC and it was reported that he resisted arrest while intoxicated, would we be writing posts that say, my heart goes out to Tommy Rees? NEVER. And no we dont know the full story but what we do know as sports fans, is that athletes get special treatment and always have gotten special treatment so chances are we will never know what really happened with TR. Just like if Michael Floyd was a regular ND student chances are he would have been expelled. Brian Kelly is going to have a hard time blaming Dayne Crist for this one.

16. smurphdoggy29 - May 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Keith,

I would like to add my 2 cents worth in Thanking you for your style and commitment to excellence.

WHEW it took a while to read all that, and it was interesting.

I just wanted to make a post because I am one of those who is not a Rees backer.

While I think it is just College kids being College kids, it is also a bone head move by both young men in an unfortunate yet familiar college scene.

I feel bad for both and hope it works out for the best, but in the end the people at Residence Life and then in the Football Offices will do what is right and required. If that means the end for Rees (Or Carlo) then so be it. They are kids and you have consequences.

I hope it doesn’t get too serious, and I hope our beloved ND Nation can chill out and focus on what is important. Making good life decisions and supporting our favorite University and its athlete’s as best we can !

GO Irish !!!
    121

17. prophetjcb - May 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You attend ND, you accept a higher standard. You play for the football team, you know your every move is scrutinized. You start at QB, multiply both of those by a factor of 10. At least.

This isn’t about being unrealistic, or sanctimonious. You enroll at an institution, or accept a scholarship to attend that institution, there are expectations. And being drunk, at any age, does not relieve you of responsibility for your actions, or mitigate consequences.

I’m all for waiting before we rush to judgment. But I will also tell you this. I’m not terribly interested in SB police conspiracy theories. You don’t want to deal with the cops? Don’t break the law. If any university student gets busted at a party for underage drinking, I expect them to accept the consequences. And yes, I could deal with an underage drinking charge and move on. There are worse crimes.

Being belligerent with the cops? Not too impressive. Calabrese made idiotic and obnoxious comments that he should be ashamed of, drunk or not. As one of “his people,” this is incredibly annoying.

Running from the cops? Well, Mr. Rees, whatever happens, you are certainly raising the stakes now. I’m sure that whatever the exact circumstances turn out to be, you would have been a lot better off obeying the police and accepting the consequences. Now, instead of underage drinking, we have all this. Whether the kicking or kneeing was intentional or not, running and getting tackled only compound his first mistake. And are far less excusable.

College kids are still growing up and make a lot of mistakes. Part of life. But making excuses for bad decisions helps no one grow. Their status as football players is irrelevant. But the fact that they have more to lose than others at that party is something they should have thought about ahead of time.

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Notre Dame does have higher standards, but football players along with almost everyone else there drink; always have and always will. It is illegal since most are underage.

At other schools they get to talk about arrests for armed robbery, gang rapes, burglary, drug trafficking, vehicular manslaughter, etc., and here we get to talk about the annual underage drinking bust. Two summers ago the SB police arrested a dozen or so (Golic, among others). This time it’s worse because Tommy made the very unwise decision of running away, though were the escape successful, he would have avoided an embarrassing arrest for MIP. I’m sure that’s what was on his mind as he tried to get away.

The police issues are not conspiracy theories, but a long, consistent and unproud tradition. I don’t know what specifically happened last night, but I have seen enough over the years to be very skeptical of what I hear, and the only version of events we have heard so far is from the police.

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM

prophet

Well said.

I had no idea how many investigative journalists we have here on this board; apparently they’ve all concluded, based on almost no facts, that this was the SB Police’s fault. Then they attack me because I made light of it.

And how about Jennifer who described this as a “somber moment”? You know what a somber moment is? It’s what’s taking place at Junior Seau’s mom’s home today.

And Goat (self appointed Hall Monitor), if you look at Keith’s prior post which was up when the story broke, you’ll see numerous people joking about this. You, and some others here are so full of yourselves and the holiness of ND that you give me indigestion.

Great school, great tradition, I love the team, been a fan for 45+ years, but they don’t walk on water and they aren’t above the law. And if it was any of us who kneed an arresting officer in the gut, we’d be in the exact same situation today as Rees, and there’d be no board full of apologists clamoring for our release. Sorry, no sympathy for Tommy here.

• bernhtp - May 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thankfully, the felony assault charge has already been dropped.

This is a pretty good article on the incident. I only disagree with the assertion that kids don’t get arrested for MIP if they comply. We saw the opposite less than two years ago.

18. don74 - May 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I just read a story about the incident. Last line was interesting. No one else at the party was arrested…….none of the other 5 that ran were caught. While this is unfortunate I don’t think it’s ‘the end” of TR, as an ND student or player. I also don’t think this is an indictment of BK as a person responsible for a culture change. Let’s face it, college students drink. ND is a tough place to have a drink if under age. Campus and dorm rules are strict, there are no frat houses and off campus joints look for id’s. A known player realistically can’t have a fake id. Abstinence or off campus parties are the answer. TR, most likely, ran because he did not want to incur BK’s wrath. My guess, he should have stayed, let the police disperse the party and walked home. Even if he was cited for underage drinking it would have been extra practices.

I really want to know the positions of the four that got away. Either good speed or elusiveness.

19. ccad05 - May 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So the party in question was actually being held at the home of one John goodman. The news here was at his door interviewing him and he was being a complete a**hole. Shouldnt he be punished for providing the alcohol to minors?

• dmac4real - May 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Hes an asshole because he was trying to protect his teamates and not say the wrong things. How would you like it if some news reporters hung out around your house ALL day? He said he wanted to get his facts right and talk to CBK first. Basically, he was supporting his teammates. I hate team unity, its just the worst…

20. alsatiannd - May 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Is anyone else not surprised? Rees has no mobility or ability to scramble. It’s probably his major weakness.

21. ndirish10 - May 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Now the Rees’ family have two mugshots in their family portrait. Both involving drunks.http://chicago.sbnation.com/2011/10/5/2471690/tommy-rees-sister-meghan-gets-arrested-goes-to-my-alma-mater

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

WHOA!!
      She’s not too bad.

I might need to be nicer to Tommy

22. ccad05 - May 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Dmac, watch the news here in south bend and see for yourself before you go being sarcastic and attacking me. I live here and have the benefit of local news not some out of state coverage just running a notre dame smear campaign a la espn. The station is wsbt look it up and watch the video

23. ndgiants11 - May 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I wish we could have seen this kind of elusiveness out of Tommy Rees ON the field.

24. ndgiants11 - May 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

25. irishking - May 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

What a way to try to knock Rees out of the starting position and damage the kid’s life. I say it’s lousy and blown up way out of proportion. It would have been far better to let ND handle it internally. Never throw the baby out with the bath water.