Rees, Calabrese face uncertainty after off-campus arrest

May 3, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT

Rees Calabrese Mug Shot

Tommy Rees and Carlo Calabrese were arrested by South Bend police after an off-campus party was broken up just after midnight. Calabrese, who is 21, faces disorderly conduct charges, and has been bonded out of jail for $150. Rees, who is only 20, faces more serious charges, including public intoxication, resisting law enforcement, minor consumption, and battery to an officer, which is a felony charge.

Multiple news outlets are reporting that Rees ran from the scene of the party, and was taken to the ground by a police officer. Rees allegedly kneed the officer in the stomach, leading to the felony charge, before he was pepper sprayed. Calabrese argued loudly with police, unwilling to stay on a sidewalk while he watched his friend arrested, leading to his arrest.

Wednesday marked the final day of classes at Notre Dame. The late night arrest also marks another offseason storyline that’ll likely loom large until the Irish head to Dublin. For Calabrese, the stakes aren’t likely as high, and you can expect him back in an Irish uniform on opening day. But for Rees, the Irish’s starting quarterback whose job is already under fire after an open competition this spring, the future isn’t as clear, especially with a felony charge looming. (A felony charge that might not last until 1 p.m. ET, when Rees is formally arraigned.)

The rush to define this story is already in full swing, with news leaking late last night and an avalanche of information already taking over social media and the college football web-world today. (Adam Jacobi, a well-respected writer now working at the Bleacher Report has already taken the reins on the “Expel Tommy Rees or Notre Dame has lost its principles story,” with his original source being an anonymous message board poster.)

Even with the most serious charge dropped, it was a bone-headed decision by Rees, choosing to run when South Bend police arrived at a party because of a noise complaint. With early reports of Rees kicking a police office turning into a potentially accidental knee to the abdomen, the early rumors of what happened have quickly turned into something far less sensational. “It wasn’t terribly violent, but it was enough to be considered resisting,” South Bend police Captain Phil Trent told the Chicago Tribune, while also saying that a police office “had the wind knocked out of him” while trying to stop the group running away.

The arrest of two Notre Dame football players at an off-campus party is certainly newsworthy, but you can’t help but wonder what the reaction would be like if the player facing the most serious charges wasn’t the quarterback almost universally reviled by a fan base that’s put last season’s disappointment almost squarely on his shoulders. People will immediately look at Michael Floyd‘s DUI arrest as the easiest comparison for the Rees case, but if you’re looking for precedent, look back two off seasons to tight end Mike Ragone‘s arrest on the Indiana Toll Road for marijuana possession. Ragone, leaving South Bend after the spring semester ended, was arrested and booked for possession, an incident that had many thinking it was the end of the road for the star-crossed tight end.

At the time, the response out of South Bend was this: “Coach Kelly is aware of the situation and feels it is a serious matter,” Notre Dame’s Brian Hardin said. “He has spoken with Mike, but any team-related action that may be forthcoming would be handled internally.”

Today, Notre Dame also released a statement after the arrests of Calabrese and Rees:

“The University is aware of this incident and is confident that it will be handled in a prompt and professional manner through the criminal justice system. Internal discipline is handled privately in accord with our own policies and federal law.”

It’s clear there’ll be internal discipline from Notre Dame, both from the University and the football program. If Rees’ felony stays in play, there’s also a real chance that he’s played his last down for the Irish. While it may be fun to be first, or to have the strongest opinion, incidents like this often take more than a few hours to play out. And if we’ve learned anything in these two years since Brian Kelly took over the football program, they rarely play out in public.

We know for sure Tommy Rees and Carlo Calabrese made a bad decision last night. What comes next, we’ll have to wait and see.

UPDATED: 3:06 p.m. ET — Head coach Brian Kelly has released a statement through Notre Dame:

“I am aware of last night’s incident involving two of our football players. I am of course very concerned given the nature of the allegations, but I am still gathering information. I’ll withhold judgment until I can collect all the facts and speak with both Carlo and Tommy.”

SECOND UPDATE — Rees was released on $250 bond and felony charges have been dropped. He still faces four misdemeanor charges.

150 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. acieu - May 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Typical ND recruits. Mediocre program recruits miscreants and alumni tries to blame it on the SBPD. More BS from beneath the tarnished golden dome.

2. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - May 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Resisting arrest and striking an officer strikes me as something more than the typical underage drinking arrest. I suspect if this were a Miami Hurricane player many of you would be screaming jail time.

3. nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Any news on Lynch?

4. macanto38 - May 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Lynch wasn’t at the party. His girlfriend said he wasn’t allowed to go

• nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

How about Tee or Deontay?

5. nudeman - May 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Top 10 thoughts on the day’s events
    1) If I knew Tommy was going to self immolate, I’d have ragged on someone else
    2) Any chance this is all an illusion just to lure me in then cut me off at the knees?
    3) I’m glad to hear Carlo has “people”; wonder if any of THEM can cover the run or pass.
    4) Party in Gunner/AH/EG’s room tonight
    5) And tomorrow
    6) Award for the day’s dumbest comment goes to Jennifer. “Somber moment”? LOFL
    7) Goat has established himself as the Hall Monitor here. Check with him b4 you post 8) On second thought, don’t.
    9) BK’s blood pressure just now registered under 200. Face turning red after day long purple
    10) Any chance Tommy loses his paper route over this?

• ndgoldandblue - May 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Don’t sweat goat, nude. I mean, how much seriousness and maturity can you expect from someone who has the phrase “blowsgoats” in his moniker? Wait a minute…nudeman…maybe I spoke too soon. Just kidding. I know you guys have your own reasons for selecting your names.

On a more serious note, I don’t know why everyone got on your case for making a small joke or two. I laughed my ass off over the manna comment.

Time to address the elephant in the room if someone hasn’t already. There is going to be a new starting quarterback next season. I mean, c’mon. Kelly was practically looking for a reason to bench the guy. It isn’t very often that a quarterback who starts 12 of 13 games and is still the starter at the end of the year, all of a sudden, finds himself in a quarterback battle for the starting position in spring practice. If Kelly was looking for a reason to keep Tommy as the starter, this incident wasn’t it. If he was looking for a reason to replace him, this one qualifies. I don’t care how bad of a reputation a police department has (which seems to be the case with the SBPD). If they tell you to stop running, stop running.

Think of it from a business perspective. If you’re the president of a company, and you wish to replace your retired vice-president with one of four internal candidates, you aren’t going to do it with the one who got his name in the paper for resisting arrest and getting into a scrum with police. I don’t care if this guy acted as an interim-vice president (which I guess you could say Rees has done). He’s still made too many mistakes that resulted in setting your company backwards, and this is the straw the broke the camel’s back. While you wanted to go with the guy with experience, it’s time to go with one of the other unproven yet talented candidates.

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Some people just take this too board seriously. Tommy Rees gets chased down by a cop. Sorry, this was one I couldn’t pass up.

In a way this might be a liberating thing for BK. His security blanket just got yanked away; now he needs to get on with post-TR life. This is a good thing.

Last point on this: Great post on the 4HL from a cop. Sort of echoes what I said yesterday: When a cop tells you to do something, you just DO it. Not a negotiation. TR made a really stupid mistake and there have to be consequences.
        ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Point of View From a 16yrs Police Officer Reply
        I work outside the Ft. Lauderdale area (Miramar Police Dept) where I’m currently a detective. Without knowing all the facts and based on the preliminary reports, as a citizen, you just don’t do anything to piss off a cop. Every Officer is different and I’ve broken up plenty of parties and if the people are civil with me, I’ll be civil with them – normally on the first complaint, I’ll give them a warning that the noise or music needs to be turned down and they should move everyone indoors if there’s a crowd outside. If more complaints persist, the party will be shut down and everyone will be asked to leave the area immediately. It’s then when you get drunk tough guys who start barking at the Officers and that’s when there’s a problem and arrests have to be made.

Bottom line is you respect me and I’ll respect you. I know there are bad officers out there who tend to over react and instigate certain situations, but the main point is don’t give the officer a reason to take you in and from what we’re hearing, Rees behavior warranted and influenced his arrest. Sorry for being long winded, just my two cents.
        5/3 8:47 PM | IP: Logged

• gtizzo - May 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM

BK turning purple is a reason Tommy might want police protection. I sure “talking” isn’t going to be a choice when he sees these two in his office. I’m sure the first question will be “What the (censored word) where you thinking?!” Tommy is a face that is well known in South Bend, for him to resist police was a huge error in judgement to put it mildly. The felony charges were dropped, but ND has a much harder hand when it comes to dealing out justice. Tommy finishing at ND isn’t something I would bet on right know.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Hey nude, speaking of taking this board too seriously, I once posted something totally “tongue in cheek” where I was “talking” to one of the team members, Lynch I think it was. You were quick to point out that the team members probably aren’t reading my comments, something I, of course, already was aware of. In your post above, you state that you would have ragged on somebody else if you knew Tommy would do this. You go on to say that this might all be a ruse to lure you in. I just wanted to be sure: do you think Rees is reading your comments? Either your post is tongue in cheek as well or you are totally self-absorbed and need to get back on the meds. I’m hoping it’s the former.

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

jersey
        I remember that post of yours and I fell for it.
        Do I think Rees – or ANY Irish player – is reading this stuff?
        I don’t think one can say none of them has EVER been here. But as a general rule, I don’t think they’re following our shenanigans daily. Maybe with a few extra minutes on their hands they might log on here or elsewhere to see what’s being said about them; but not often

I’m here 1) to read about ND football; 2) to express my opinions and banter ; and 3) as the occasional turd in the punchbowl when I see people taking all this too seriously, like the Hall Monitor/Goat, or Jennifer who proclaims ysterday “a somber” moment. Still can’t get over that one. Fully aware that I can be an obsessive pain in the ass too, btw.

Trying to be less repetitive in my posts. Tommy might have resolved that one for me yesterday.

• domer77blowsgoats - May 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Cant go one post w/o mentioning me huh?

I am so honored – that and the fact I cause you undegestian (hmm that looks speeled wrong)

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Goat/HallMonitor/UAW
        I’m honored you’re honored.

Just keep your eye on the board and make sure no one takes an unfair shot at Tommy

6. idratherbeinsouthbend - May 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Anybody know when nbcsports.com is going to fix the damn comments. I can’t see all the funny comments that get posted from page 1….Keith, can you grab a plunger and unclog this mess?

• 9irish - May 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM

I second that. After it goes over one page I can’t see how many people hated what I said. Don’t know what’s up with that

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

HEY!!!

There is NOTHING FUNNY about the arrest of a 19 year old young man who just ruined his life!!!!! I suppose you want to see him go to the electric chair???!!!

Stop making fun of this right now. We all must stand together and support Tommy and his family during this difficult time.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Alright, this one made me laugh and spit coffee out.

• madmick69 - May 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

There is a lot that’s funny about this. First, your comment above is funny. Here’s something else that’s funny…so that’s how we get TR to run when he feels the pressure in the pocket. So it’s official he can’t run on the field or off the field.

Let me just go on the record here any law enforcement agency in any college town will go after any possible place where underaged drinking might be happening. So with that said, guess what that’s what cops do, they break up parties and arrest underage drinkers. So get off the SBPD, yeah heaven forbid they enforce the law.

As for feeling bad for TR, “his life is ruined”…come one the kid got a scholarship to ND to play football and get an education and he made a mistake. Should he be held accountable, YES. Should he suffer the consequences, YES. Should he be able to show that he can take responsibility for boneheaded decisions off the field as well as on the field YES. His on field chance have been used up, his off field chances not so much.

So yeah this is funny, it’s funny that people take this board way to seriously. It’s funny that people are treating this like a tragic event that will forever scar the good name of Notre Dame and TR. It’s funny that he can’t outrun a cop let alone a defensive end. That’s funny!

The University of Notre Dame will be OK, TR will be OK and GK just moved up on the depth chart (see that’s funny too).

Lighten up folks, have some fun, enjoy life, Tommy is!

• papadec - May 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Hey joisey – I would have thought that by now you would have learned (as I did) not to bring beverages near the computer, if you’re planning on reading the nudeman’s posts.

7. somebadhatharry - May 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I think Keith’s love for TR and hatred for SBPD has affected how ability to be objective.

Secondly, as a police officer myself, I highly doubt these guys go out of their way to “bust” college kids. Definitely not worth the paperwork.

Lastly, its 2012, are we seriously still making pig and donut jokes? Just like almost every other profession, there are fat people and fit people. I personally know more cops who are in good shape than those who are not.

Before everyone blames the police instead of the kids breaking the law and running from the cops, ask yourself how thongs may have turned out differently had TR not ran when the cops told everyone to stay still.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - May 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I get a sneaking suspicion that you were the arresting officer and when you arrested TR he was wearing a Thong? ….Freudian Slip?

On a side note, the a 110 meter hurdler on the South Bend HS track team was expelled from school today. Police observed him raising his knee multiple times as he ran down the track. He’s being charged with felony knee raising.

JUST KIDDIN somebadhatharry….JUST KIDDIN

8. somebadhatharry - May 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

*things* sorry autocorrect…

9. somebadhatharry - May 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

hey at least your jokes are more clever than “I’m surprised the cops put down their doughnuts to run after TR.” By the way, cops absolutley hate chasing people, especially drunk college kids.

But apparently SBPD officers live to harass ND students who only break “minor” laws. I laughed out loud when I read a link from an earlier post where a student said he didn’t feel safe off.campus because cops were clamping down on underaged drinking. If only the university would provide a safe place for underaged students to drink.

• degosavage23 - May 4, 2012 at 2:14 AM

First off what TR did is far worse than what Floyd did so he absolutely should be suspended if not expelled. Now I’m no expert on felonies and misdemeanors but correct me if I’m wrong somebadhatharry, but isn’t battery assault with a weapon? If it is and TR only kneed the officer, then it is not battery but assault on a police officer, which I also believe is a felony. Nevertheless, if ND wants to live up to its expectations, I wouldn’t expect to see TR in blue and gold this season.

• kappy32 - May 4, 2012 at 4:16 AM

@Degosavage23:

Battery is not necessarily assault with a weapon, so yes, you are wrong. Depending on the state/jurisdiction you are in, battery and assault are used almost interchangeably, yet they have two separate, distinct meanings. Take New York for example: if you physically strike another person, criminally it is defined as assault as per NY Penal Code, and the degree of the assault (1st, 2nd, 3rd) as well as the classification of the charge (misdemeanor or felony) is determined through the intent of the actor, the damage done to the victim, and whether a weapon was used. There is not a charge/crime for battery in NY criminal law. However, in NY civil actions, if you physically strike another person, it is defined as battery. Assault is also a civil cause of action in NY. They are both classified as intentional torts, but their differences are very clear. Civil battery in NY is intentionally striking another person & causing damages. Civil assault in NY is intentionally causing another person fear or apprehension of being battered. In short, NY criminal assault is striking someone; NY civil battery is intentionally striking someone; and NY civil assault is intentionally threatening to strike someone (the threat must be immediate).

Rees was arrested for criminal battery. The fact that he struck a police officer is what makes it a felony, whereas had he merely kneed a regular guy, he would have only been charged with misdemeanor battery. Furthermore, had he done that in NY, he would have been charge with assault (it would’ve been 2nd degree assault, a felony, because he hit a police officer). Therefore, the only reason why it was battery and not assault is that Indiana has decided to name the crime he committed as battery instead of assault. Whether or not a weapon was used is only one of a few facts that determines the degree of the battery/assault, and the degree determines the crime classification as either a misdemeanor or felony. It’s stupid & the name should he universal, however state legislatures always feel the need to make things more complicated than they have to be. I hope what I wrote cleared that up for you a little bit.

Source: I’m a criminal defense attorney and civil trial litigator in NY.

• andy44teg - May 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

LOL…Really??

• 9irish - May 4, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I agree with that….never mess with a police officer, just do what the hell they say, chances are it would’ve been not a big deal. Tackling somebody drunk wearing all that gear is not pleasant anyway. I wonder if they would’ve caught Golson?!

10. kappy32 - May 4, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Rees needs to be booted from the football team, period, end of story. I don’t believe expelling him would be the answer, but this kid shouldn’t be playing football. Playing football at Notre Dame, with all of their tradition, is a privilege, not a right. College football has been plagued with the kids acting like knuckleheads & getting themselves arrested, almost always when they’re intoxicated. Notre Dame needs to demonstrate that they are better than the Alabamas, the Floridas, the Ohio States & the Miamis by quickly removing Rees from the football team. They should also deny any requests he has for a transfer because he won’t be playing. Rees should be removed from the team with a chance to make it back, however he should not be allowed to be a member of this team at all this sea on, unless the charges are dropped against him in the interest of justice (he did not commit the crime; no plea bargain BS). A clear message must be sent to the rest of the players that this behavior cannot & will not be tolerated.

From a football standpoint, removing Rees from the team might be a blessing in disguise. The defense is going to be pretty damn good next season (so long as Tuitt fills the hole left by Baby Lynch), but the offense is not going to be very good. This year’s team is going to struggle quite a bit out of the gate & the offense is going to revolve around Wood, Carlisle & Reddick out of the backfield. This is the perfect time to hand the offense over to one of the young QBs (Kiel, Gholson, Hendrix), and I would prefer to see it go to Kiel before he gets upset and transfers next. Kiel has the potential to be one of NDs best QBs ever, especially in Kelly’s system, and I am a firm believer in letting your future play in transitional years, such as 2012 will be for ND. Hendrix & Gholson are both talented kids, but they do not have the attributes & potential that Kiel does. There’s a reason why Kiel was the #1/#2 QB recruit this year (depending on which recruiting database you look at) & it’s time to let him show off his stuff. With Rees hopefully being kicked off the team, it opens the door for this & as ND fans, we should all be excited. Kiel is our future QB & is a lock to be under center the first game of 2013. Playing either Gholson or Hendrix would be nothing more than a temporary stop gap this year & if this team is going to be as bad as I expect them to be, there’s no need for such a stop gap. There is obviously a problem with blue chippers and either Notre Dame itself or Kelly & his staff being that we keep losing good players to transfers. Kelly needs to put his faith & support behind Kiel, not only telling him but showing him that he is Kelly’s guy & the future of ND. With that kind of support, in the form of winning the starting job as a true freshman, there is no chance in hell Kiel would consider transferring. There’s also another aspect at play here with Rees leaving and that is that he is just not a very good QB at all. Kelly tends to be loyal, arguably to a fault, to his returning starters. If Rees is allowed to play this season, there is no doubt in my mind that Rees will get the job due to receiving the benefit of the doubt from Kelly, even though he will likely be outplayed by all 3 backups over the summer. I don’t know about you, but I am not willing to suffer another season of Rees, his dumb look, and his careless play inside the red zone. As I said, this team isn’t going to be very good in 2012; it’s a transitional year; and I would much rather get excited by watching our future star QB get his cherry popped as a true freshman next year than suffer through the growing pains of another QB who will not be starting in 2013.

• ndgoldandblue - May 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I agree with you that Kiel is definitely the future at quarterback, and I wouldn’t be upset to see Kelly pull the trigger on him as a true freshman. From what I have seen, Kiel has all the physical tools that Crist had/has, plus more. I think he’s more mobile than Crist, and he throws a more accurate ball than Crist. I’ll concede that Kiel didn’t look overly sharp in the BG game, but he was dealing with a running clock, and he seemed a bit juiced up.

I wish Kelly would have used Kiel in the first half, which simulated an actual game situation. It would have been nice to see how Kiel handled the offense when he wasn’t rushed. Kiel played a total of 16 minutes, which might be 6-8 minutes of actual game clock. That’s just not enough time to get a fair look at the guy.

And, as I said, he was juiced up. He was nervous, maybe a little overly excited. That’s why we saw Kiel overthrow a few of his targets. But we know that he has an accurate, strong arm and a nice touch. The proof of that is in his high school highlights. Heck, I watched his first game last year on ESPNU, and that game showed me more than enough that Kiel is the real deal. The guy threw a touchdown on the first pass of the game.

I’m just saying, for all of those naysayers who believe that Kiel might be a redux of Dayne Crist (all the physical tools but lacking the intangibles to be a great college quarterback), don’t expect to see that happen. The knock on Crist, and I agree, was that he lacked decisiveness (wouldn’t pull the trigger quick enough), accuracy (too many balls short-hopping the receivers), and a level head (too many periods during the game when Dayne would get really cold). Kiel’s throwing motion is quicker than Dayne’s, he’s decisive, and he probably won’t have a problem underthrowing his receivers on simple pass routes. Overthrowing them might be a problem until he settles down, but he seems like a smart kid and one that would find his groove quickly.

As for your contention that Gunner might transfer if he’s not named the starter as a true freshman, I don’t agree. From everything I’ve heard in his interviews to everything Coach Kelly says about him in press conferences, he seems like a really great kid who (to quote Socrates) knows that he doesn’t know. He knows he needs to learn. He also seems very respectful toward the coaching staff and the other quarterbacks that he’s competing against. He actually comes across as the type who would patiently wait for two years before expecting to be the starter. Maybe I’m giving him too much credit, but I like the kid as a football player and as a person. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I guess I would liken him to a hot chick who doesn’t really know she’s hot. It’s rare to find, but when you do, it’s always a pleasant surprise.

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Zero chance Kiel xfers. I was very impressed with an interview I saw with him a couple months back where he said “I just want to be part of the team; I’ll be happy to run the scout team”.

Kid does not have his head in the clouds and has his head on straight. He’s ND true blue.

• bernhtp - May 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Re: “Rees needs to be booted from the football team, period, end of story.”

Kappy: I guess I won’t be recommending your legal services to Tommy then.

While Tommy made poor snap judgments and certainly embarrassed the university, I have yet to see cause for him being booted from the team permanently. This might still happen, but not yet.

As you should know, there are at least two sides to every such story. We’ve heard one.

Let’s examine Tommy’s choices and decisions that night (according to public/police information). He certainly made a choice to go to the party and drink, but apparently so did many dozens of others. I suspect a very high percentage of students were at some sort of party that night and most of them were underage drinking. So far he is guilty of something that everyone else does. I’m sure Fr. John Jenkins did the same when he was a student.

Next we have the police raid and decision to leave by jumping the fence. Rees apparently did this with several others. This is also not illegal at this point – merely leaving the scene as police come. As I’ve said before, this is a common and usually prudent response to a police raid in South Bend.

Then there is the decision to ignore the police order to stop. Did Tommy hear this and know it came from the police? Probably, though not certain. Is it a crime to disregard such an order, if understood, and continue leaving? I’m not sure – you’re the lawyer – but it probably is. With that said, contrary to early reports, others were also fleeing with Tommy. He appeared to be in good(?) company here. Was this because they didn’t hear the order, was it just following common street wisdom to keep running in raids like this, or was it a non-conscious panic response? I don’t know.

We now come to the cab driver that reportedly blocked, grabbed him, and generally hindered Tommy’s run. (I wonder if the cabby has any years of eligibility left?). This aggressive interference likely angered Tommy. A cop then came and grabbed Tommy and Tommy is accused of kneeing the cop in the abdomen. Did this happen? Was the knee intentional or just a reflexive response to being violently grabbed – maybe raising the knee to reflexively protect the abdomen? Did Tommy know it was a cop and not the cabby? The alcohol, high emotion, running, cabby altercation, and aggressive arrest/restraint likely interfered with good decision making. Lots of questions.

The report also says that Tommy continued to resist after being arrested. From what I see and read, this is not uncommon. This type of arrest is inherently aggressive and often accompanied by pain. Was this just reflexive – trying to free himself from the restraint? Does it reflexively come from his many years of football training – this is what you ALWAYS do when grabbed like this? Was it due to anger stemming from (perceived) injustice? Did it really happen? Again, lots of questions and possibilities.

Next we have the reaction by Carlo. Was he just trying to protect Tommy? Did he see gratuitous harm being forced upon Tommy? Did he see this as a huge overreaction that was deeply unjust? Whatever its source, it caused him to become very emotional and protective of Tommy, enough to put himself into legal jeopardy and harm’s way where he did nothing wrong before.

Anyway, unless/until I hear more definitive evidence that Tommy made conscious decisions that were criminal – unlikely given his squeaky clean record – I am not inclined to take everything the police say as the full gospel on the matter, and I am certainly not willing to prejudge this by kicking him off the team “… period, end of story.”

Putting a merciful end to this tome, I have a lot of questions and there are many possibilities that don’t include draconian punishment for a kid that probably had a momentary lapse in judgment in an otherwise exemplary life. Hell, if he went to trial, his attorney could show video of some of his interceptions and say he those were worse offenses and didn’t mean those either.

Finally, Rees’ prominent position makes it nearly impossible to defend himself. The media spotlight is on him and the university. Tommy will issue an enormous mea maxima culpa and fall on his sword. I can almost guarantee this.

11. don74 - May 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Will the CArlo Calabrese “My People” T shirts be ready before finals or will we have to wait till Navy. I can see some enterprising student from the nation’s top undergrad B schooll with CC’s face and the D behind him.

• bernhtp - May 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

This is really an epic idea.

• ndfan12345 - May 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

My tailgate crew put in our orders yesterday. In light of Calabreses’s homestate and almost certain role as a future jersey shore cast member based on appearances (if not actions like these), the shirts will, of course, be sleeveless.

• don74 - May 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I must confess I saw the T shirt comment on twitter about 45 mins after the news broke. @jdubs88 is a great twitter follow. ND grad, sportswriter for the Daily, CFB follower and has an interesting perspective. If you are on twitter give him a try. I wanted to post it yesterday morning but reading the need to be somber as TR’s life was ruined I thought it best to stay on the sidelines. Only 2 arrests in this whole thing, TR for running and CC for talking. There’s a joke here but……………

12. bearcatirishfan - May 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

First off I hope tommy gets to finish his degree, that would be the best outcome for him in life, bad decision.

Secondly, I want to defend nude a little bit. Humor comes for something said that is unexpected, and quite frankly I think should the last place we start self censoring. If the intent is humor than just be resigned to that, and don’t take it so seriously.

But advice to nude you coming on here’s and making a joke about this situation isn’t really all that unexpected which is why, personal feeling here, the other posters reacted the way they have. It’s hard to see the humor you intended based on past posts because of you know bias. Now if you would have come he and said this confirms that tommy can take charge of a situation and should start that would have been funny since no one would have expected that.

Enough pontificating. Back to football go Irish.

• nudeman - May 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Last comment in my own defense of this. Then perhaps we can get back to our lives:
      Not for a minute did I write anything that was malicious. In fact I was careful to say that he’s still a good person who made a bad decision, and that the felony charge wouldn’t stick. And I also still maintain he’ll be back at ND.

But from a humor standpoint, how could anyone ignore this?
      It was a perfect storm of preposterously ridiculous events.
      A slow QB who gets run down by a cop?
      And now we have a cab driver too?
      And absolutely everyone else gets away?
      A guy with the last name of “Calabrese” threatening to put a horse’s head in the cop’s bed?

Luca Brasi-esque. The only thing we’re missing ins a shooter on the Grassy Knoll.

This was almost too over the top to be in The Onion. Yet … it happened.

I had fun with this. So shoot me, Jennifer and Goat.

Yet now … life, bills and a bad marriage beckon. I must get back to the grind.

• 4hrchubby - May 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

the nudester!…you crack me up!

• ndgoldandblue - May 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Come on! Who could give a thumbs down to that comment? “…a perfect storm of preposterously ridiculous events.” Hilarious! And you took the words right out of my mouth. A story like this wouldn’t even be believable if it wasn’t true. The only thing that I could think of that would be even more tragic is if Gilbert Brown had died choking on a ham sandwich.

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I know your wavelength, and it’s funny…others don’t, that’s where the flak comes from

13. bearcatirishfan - May 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

See now that was unexpected and made me chuckle

14. don74 - May 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I mentioned the incident to my recently college grad daughter. Her first question was Tommy’s age. When told 19 her response is that what kid’s do. I asked what she meant and she told me kids are used to high school parties where there is under age drinking. When the police come the boys on the teams head out the back and run. Being so far removed from high school and college, (drinking age was 18 way back when) all of this is new to me. Tommy ran (dumb move), resisted (dumber move) and kneed the cop (dumbest move). As the saying goes, it’s not what you do, it’s what you do next. So far all of his “next moves” have been bad. Let’s see how it plays out. My guess, suspended from the team for a period of time.

15. bernhtp - May 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Wow! Tommy Rees arrested for excessive partying and Adam Yauch dead in the same week. Coincidence? I think not!

16. somebadhatharry - May 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

apparently my sarcasm font is broken

17. 9irish - May 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Ehhh… I hope it works out. I don’t think Rees was going to be, or should be, the starting QB anyway, I just hope that he didn’t torpedo everything by scuffling with a cop (by the way, there is no such thing as ONE cop!) A good analogy to President Clinton, didn’t do anything that doesn’t go on every damn day, but you’re the damn President! Rees should’ve realized that he was the ND QB and everything is magnified X10000. I’m sure he is feeling regret….been there, done that. (I wasnt’ the ND QB though, damnit!)

18. fnc111 - May 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

TR is a cocky guy for lacking talent

19. irishsportstalk - May 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Does anyone find humor in imagining Tommy running from cops? This is no disrespect to any police officer but all I can picture Tommy trying to juke a well-rounded SBPD officer; rounding corners; and jumping over shrubs.

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 5:35 AM

I have several former Marine friends that are now cops. Most are very strong guys, built for close quarters stuff…running, not so much. Tommy being drunk and slow didn’t help, but they use the “head em off at the pass” tactic. If you run, they are going to catch you, just to prove a point. No such thing as “one” cop when you try to run away, it’s like an admission of guilt. He gambled because he would have been in minor trouble anyway, but made a very dumb decision…especially with his drunken slowness.

• bernhtp - May 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

With a .11, he wasn’t quite drunk. Not legal to drive, probably a bit buzzed, but not what most people would consider drunk.

From press descriptions of the incident, it seems like it was the unexpected cabby – both he and his cab – that ultimately slowed Tommy sufficiently for the cops to grab him. It sounds like he might have gotten away otherwise.

While Tommy is obviously not the fastest guy on the football field, he is still an elite athlete. He’s very fast and extremely strong by normal civilian standards. I also believe he could have taken the cop out had this been his intent. Top football players are unbelievably strong – superhuman by most standards – and have worked dozens of hours a week since they were young to not only build this strength, but also to develop technique to most efficiently impart it onto others. I’ve seen these guys in action off of the football field where their physical abilities literally dropped my jaw in amazement.

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM

bern, I have to admit, I don’t normally argue with people on here…and you make some good comments, normally. But that one is kind of bizarre. 0.11 is pretty damn drunk. and as far as the cops go, they really don’t screw around (anywhere)…they have flashlights and other stuff, where if you resist or struggle with them, they will beat the hell out of you. And I think that’s the way it should be. Kid is living the dream, I do not cut him any special privileges.

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I will also say, bern, after dealing with Marines for a long time, no matter what there “superhuman” capabilities were, or “dropping my jaw in amazement” the most important thing was discipline. and if they fail at that, they are punished. I really didn’t get your comment, to tell you the truth.

• bernhtp - May 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Re: “0.11 is pretty damn drunk”

9Irish: The legal driving limit used to be (below) .10 until MAD lobbied it down nationally about 20 years ago to .08. A .20 is generally slurring/staggering drunk. Most people pass out over .30. Experienced drinkers develop a tolerance and thus can perform better at a given BAC level.

My point is that Tommy’s .11 was buzzed and certainly impaired for driving, but not what most would consider to be “damn drunk,” especially in college terms. It would adversely affect his coordination, judgment and reflexes, but not so much as to make him dysfunctional for running.

Read carefully and you will see that I was not:
        – condoning his behavior
        – saying that he was not impaired
        – saying that he could drive

The simple point is that when people describe someone as “damn drunk,” they are usually referring to BAC levels significantly above .11.

• 9irish - May 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

bern… no worries. I know what you are saying as far as BAC (once again, been there, done that…never got caught though). I guess the superhuman part was what I didn’t like. Young studs who don’t drink much anyway normally who think they can fight off a bunch of cops is not uncommon. Normally doesn’t work out too well. No worries my friend.

20. bearcatirishfan - May 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Nude “bad marriage” anyone to take bets on TR mentions at the dinner table? I got the over/under at 8.

And yes the thought of TR not being able to out run SBPD’s finest is kinda funny. I work out in a local PD workout room. Those boys are nice guys but i wouldn’t say in shape. In tr’s defense if I were to ask an officer he would say why chase when I have a car.

On a serious not isn’t it time to lower the legal age back to 18 or 19. This whole thing would not be an issue if we we not so sanctimonious about booze.

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 5:42 AM

yep. I could drink beer, but not wine or liquor, when I was 19. Started going out and behaving ourselves instead of driving around drinking. Stupid law. If 18 is an adult, it should be for everything.

21. degosavage23 - May 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Thanks kappy, but what confuses me now is, if battery to a police officer is a felony and obviously reports are saying he indeed kneed the officer, then how can they drop the charge to a misdemeanor? Could it be because they’re classifying it as “unintentional” or simply because they’re giving a ND football player special privileges?

• 9irish - May 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM

I think probably unintentional. Probably tackled his ass and the cop got the knee while doing so…would like to see the TMZ tape! It was very stupid of him to put himself in such a “untenable” situation.

22. fnc111 - May 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

TR is a vag

23. fnc111 - May 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

bern,

Get a life dude. You sound like a creep. I just turned 30 and could still beat TR in a foot race. He is not an elite athlete. Cierre Wood is an elite athlete.

• nudeman - May 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Why does he seem like a “creep”?
      bern regularly posts more thoughtful stuff than anyone else here.

His point is valid btw. Rees, as much of a sloth as he is on the field, is a QB for an elite sports program. Even though many incl me think he’s not the answer, compared to a civilian he’s elite.

He’s 19 years old, trains every day, runs, lifts weights, etc etc

Compared to a policeman (no doughnut jokes here) who’s in a squad car every day for 8 hours and is probably in his 30s; and compared to a cab driver for God’s sake who probably smokes a pack of Marlboros every shift, Tommy Rees is an elite athlete

24. fnc111 - May 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Nude,

Elite sports program???? Averaging 6 wins a season is not elite. TR is a lucky dude, that’s it. Tuitt, Te’o, Eifert etc. are elite athletes.

• nudeman - May 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You’re missing the point.
      I don’t think Tommy is elite in any way UNLESS .. you compare him athletically to a cop and a cabbie.

That was bern’s point and I agree

Still doesn’t explain why he couldn’t escape them though.

• bernhtp - May 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Nude: No worries. Reading comprehension doesn’t appear to be fnc’s strong suit, closely followed by his inability to locate the appropriate “Reply” button.

Descriptions make it sound like the cabby ran his car right into Tommy’s path, which stopped him, and the cabby immediately got out to help as the cop(s?) grabbed him. But I agree that this doesn’t explain everything and thus my hypothesis that he wasn’t trying his hardest to fight his way free – maybe because he was conflicted.

25. papadec - May 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

There have been several interesting & humorous posts here the last few days, notably from the Twin Towers of Humor (Nude) & Wisdom (Bern). When I was a teenager in NYC, late ’50s – early ’60s, the legal drinking age was 18. That drinking age was raised to 21 because of pressure from the surrounding states whose legal drinking age was 21. Too many teens from those states were driving to NY, especially on the weekends, to drink and then died in driving accidents on their way home. It never made sense, and still doesn’t, that Armed Forces personnel can die for their country @ age 18, but not legally drink. At least on the service bases they can usually walk to & from Enlisted Clubs and their barracks. If I were Tommy’s parents – I would line up a very good attorney. If the Hearing, later this month, turns out negatively – I would pursue Criminal/Civil action vs the So.B cabbie who assaulted Tom with a deadly weapon (the cab). Regarding Tom kneeing the officer – did he know it was the officer, or the So.B cabbie that tackled/assaulted him? In either event, it was more than one-on-one, and I don’t blame him for fighting back. I also applaud Carlo for standing up for his teammate – no man left behind. That’s my opinion.

• 9irish - May 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Papadec,
      I know where you are coming from, but they don’t even do that anymore (they still did in 1987). You could drink on base if you were 18. Now you can’t, and e-clubs are almost non-existent. So what do they do? They go out in town and then try to drive back on base drunk (not a good idea). So all of the laws are actually causing more mayhem than preventing it.