May 16, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
Darius Fleming inked a four-year contract worth $2.2 million with the San Francisco 49ers, after being chosen in the 5th round of the NFL Draft. The next day, at his first official workout with the team, Fleming tore his ACL, a knee injury that’ll likely keep him on the sidelines for the season.
Fleming’s agent, Andy Simms, confirmed the injury with the Sacramento Bee and other media outlets. The injury was originally thought to be to his hamstring, and minor enough that Fleming would return to practice.
“He tried to shake it off and practice, but there was a stability issue,” Simms told the Bee. “There’s some hope that if he works hard, it could be November. That’s obviously optimistic, so we’ll see. But they’re keeping all possibilities open right now.”
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93
- Irish A-to-Z: Jaylon Smith 15
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58