Crist all class as he returns to Notre Dame for graduation

May 17, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT

South Florida v Notre Dame Getty Images

He’s no longer a part of the Irish football program, but Dayne Crist can proudly say he’s a Notre Dame graduate. After participating in spring practice with Charlie Weis’ Kansas football team, Crist is returning to South Bend for this weekend’s graduation, reuniting with friends and former teammates for Senior Week and the graduation festivities.

David McCoy of WSBT had the chance to catch up with Crist, and as usual — the quarterback was all class, having this to say about his four seasons in South Bend.

“Definitely wanted to come back for graduation and walk and be part of that ceremony,” Crist told WSBT. “Notre Dame has been such a big part of my life that this is really kind of the accumulation of a great four years.”

“The thing is, Notre Dame did so much for me in the time that I was here that I’ll always be grateful and always be indebted to Notre Dame,” Crist said, “and what that degree entails, and just the relationships that I had here, the great people, the community. I mean, everything that went on in the four years that I was here, I’ll always be thankful for and grateful for, and will always be a positive in my book.”

McCoy also had a chance to catch up with Crist on the football front, where the quarterback seems to be making up for lost time after reuniting not only with Weis, but position coach Ron Powlus and former Irish assistant Rob Ianello.

“I’m very fortunate and very blessed to have that opportunity and be back with coach Weis, and really just continue to build the relationship that we’ve always had,” Crist said. “It was pretty surprising, actually, to see there wasn’t much of a gap in getting back together and speaking the same language and getting back on the same page. It’s nice being back with him and Coach Powlus and Coach Ianello, and some of the familiar faces that I’d been around when I was here.”

We’ve spent the past few years following Crist’s career at Notre Dame, and watched him battle back from two major knee injuries and a demotion during his senior season. He’s handled all of it with the same dignity and class that he handled this interview.

There’s no telling how his final season in college football will go at Kansas, where he’ll be joined by former teammates Mike Ragone and Anthony McDonald, but Crist has already earned the respect of his new teammates, being named captain for next season.

Great work by McCoy tracking down Crist. Well worth a read.

1. kgirish - May 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

He should have started all 13 games..imo

• 9irish - May 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM

that fumble on the first drive of the first game had such an impact that it is mind numbing. and it wasn’t even him.

2. dickasman - May 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Congratulations on graduating with ND degree! Too bad it didn’t work out in the football field. In the end, what happens on the football field don’t me a freaking thing compared to that paper you’re gonna be receiving my friend.

Have a drink on me!(I think he’s 21, right?) Hell, have a celebratory bump as well if you choose. You’re a good kid.

• andy44teg - May 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Holy Crap! I think dick might be a 2-time record holder for the blog: Most accumulative thumbs down and most thumbs up for one post…My hat is off to you, sir, and to Dayne, as well.

3. bernhtp - May 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Congrats to Dayne. Many of us will keep an eye on how he (and other domers) are doing in Kansas. I’m sure this isn’t the last article on this board to feature him/them.

4. tedlinko - May 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Tip of the hat to a kid who represents the best of what it means to be an ND man.

Here’s hoping he has a great year at Kansas, but more important, a great next 40 yrs with that ND degree, not to mention the memories of the last 4 years that nobody can ever take away.

Go Irish…

5. totallydisgusted - May 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I wish him nothing but the best. Wish he could have flourished at ND.

6. jcarrillo7828 - May 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You have to respect this man. He arrived a kid and left a man despite struggles that would have made many bitter. What incredible maturity and wisdom to see the big picture. I hope he dominates at Kansas

• brazilianirish - May 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM

I think he just arrived a man here, four years ago. I remember his conduct in that first year, impressive. I truly respect the guy. Guess what ?? Go Jayhawks this year… I´m still sad. He should have started all those games… Frankly speaking. Dayne: I´m proud of you.

7. norcalirish - May 18, 2012 at 4:36 AM

What a great guy. Cheers!

8. yaketyyacc - May 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM

He’s a man. Who’s a man. He’s a Notre Dame man. Crist! Crist! Crist!

9. janelasdedeus - May 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Mr. Crist is wise way beyond his years. His parents must be extremely proud.

10. staatsadam - May 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

• nudeman - May 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

11. staatsadam - May 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Sorry, accidentally posted

12. irish4006 - May 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Good luck at KU, Crist! Hopefully, you will be able to play to your potential and get picked for NFL.

13. runners00 - May 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Congrats, Dayne Crist. You’ve earned the college degree. Good work — and good luck.

14. gracehall1980 - May 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Like everyone here I want ND to return to glory, to win championships, but this — i.e., athletes that graduate — is what sets us apart from all others. For example, saw Braxton Cave and his mother last night at my daughter’s graduation event for the psychology department. And I hope we never have to sacrifice this to be more competitive with the SEC schools. Good luck, Dayne.

• nudeman - May 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

It is just one of the things that is so wrong with college sports today.
      These schools we all tend to look down our nose at – Alabama, Florida, FSU, etc – are I am sure all very good schools. USC is an excellent school.
      tOSU is even … wait, never mind.

Anyway, it’s the pressure from the boosters and all the money that has the system so fouled up. The thing is the genie is NEVER going back in the bottle. We’re never going back to 1966.

I think Brian Kelly has shown me just enough with his recruiting skills and overall program improvement to believe he CAN make ND a perennial contender. It’s not out of the question ND can win an NC again.
      It CAN be done.
      Tough, very tough, especially when you’re competing with aforementioned schools who admit kids with D averages and have them majoring in Nothing, with a Minor in Stupidity.

But I believe it CAN be done.

• bernhtp - May 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Notre Dame continues to dramatically under-perform its recruited talent. Kelly has history of developing players and performing at levels higher than their talent. If he finally gets that done at Notre Dame, we can again be an elite program.

• bernhtp - May 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I was at Notre Dame during the late Parseghian and early Devine eras. I saw two national championships (73, 77). Even so, I forgot how dominant our teams were during this period and just was reminded in this great article.

It’s hard to imagine getting back to those incredibly lofty levels.

• 9irish - May 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM

@Bern….that is a very good article. I was just a kid then, but my dad was a ND product of the 50s, so the damage that Ara repaired almost overnight was incredible. It was a world changing story if the Irish lost back then. USC was Ara’s nemesis…cost them about 2-3 Nat’l Championships. I bet it was fun on campus during your years there!

• brazilianirish - May 22, 2012 at 5:04 AM

We should never sacrifice this. We should never sacrifice what defines us…

15. gracehall1980 - May 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Nude. Agreed. Unfortunately, the margin for error is small to razor thin. “But tho the odds …”

16. latchbeam - May 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Good for him!! Very cool!

17. poppyitis - May 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM

What a great person ! He will represent ND to the fullest in his coming years. I sure wish him the BEST in everything.

18. nudeman - May 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Can someone please start a rumor of one sort or another?
    Dead period here is killing me.

• msmmh - May 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I heard from a reliable source (my wife’s, cousins, uncle’s, daughter) that the Irish have given up on the spread offense and are going with the wing-T. They said something about a three running back set. Honest, ;)

• 9irish - May 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Oh you wuss….I thought that was your job! get busy, man, I’m bored too. Nobody arrested this weekend, that’s good.

• brazilianirish - May 22, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Well, almost.

19. seamus0317 - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Class act. He will be successful in life!