Rees, Calabrese, Daniels legal updates

May 17, 2012, 2:32 PM EST

Tommy Rees USF

Both Tommy Rees and Carlo Calabrese had their days in court yesterday, stemming from arrests after South Bend police officers broke up an off-campus party on May 3rd, the final day of classes. Rees pleaded not guilty to the four misdemeanor charges he’s facing. His next hearing is set for July 17. Calabrese faces one misdemeanor charge and had his case continued until June 21st. He’s charged with one count of misdemeanor intimidation after allegedly drunkenly threatening a police officer during the incident.

In other police blotter news, rising sophomore wide receiver Davaris Daniels was ticketed for minor consumption late last week after police issued 29 tickets at a party that was being held at the Daniels’ house in Vernon Hills, Illinois.

Brian Kelly released a statement yesterday addressing the ticket. “I’m aware of the citation Davaris received and will be speaking with him about the matter,” Kelly said. “Any team-related discipline that may be forthcoming will be handled internally.”

Police were called to the house after an anonymous call to the Vernon Hills police department came in after a person had too much to drink. According to the Chicago Tribune’s report on the incident, the 29 minors arrested could face “fines, court costs, and alcohol awareness classes.”

***

[Editor’s note: I feel obligated to report these incidents, but at the same time feel the need to preemptively state that I don’t think the ticketing of Daniels is newsworthy. I’d like to keep the comments section on this to a logical discussion that steers clear of blanket statements on alcohol, etc.]

1. nudeman - May 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Tommy Rees was busted?
    WTF

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - May 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Nice headline. Thought I was on a Miami or FSU site for a minute there.

3. bernhtp - May 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I suspect that Kelly’s talk with Davaris will make conspicuous mention of Floyd’s two MIPs before the DWI that almost cost him his college career. Don’t continue down that road; it doesn’t often end up in as nice a place as Floyd’s.

4. dickasman - May 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

3 words for these guys…DON’T GET CAUGHT!!! C’monnnn man, you’re smarter than that…you’re ND Students for christ sakes. Just figure out how to not get caught please!!!

That is all.

• andy44teg - May 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Exactly, dick,

Went to 4 years of college and never got caught once. How is that possible, you ask??? I didn’t host a party with 29+ PEOPLE!!! Especially when you’re under-age…dummm-dee-dum-dum

• 9irish - May 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Man, you guys are way ahead of me. Go to smaller parties that everybody and their brother doesn’t know about. And the big mistake was trying to get away and wrestling with a cop. Other than that, this is just College 101. No DUIs or anything.

• 9irish - May 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I guess one positive thing about this, is that these guys probably don’t drink very often, therefore they are really inexperienced at getting away with it! No Paul Hornung’s on the team, I don’t think.

• cas3d - May 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM

At least Tommy managed to throw his weed away. I’m guessing that’s why he ran.

5. irish4006 - May 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Why can’t they all just wait until they are 21 to get their first beer. We all did, right? This is just a stupid law, much like those ridiculous 55/60 mph speed limits on freeways. It only hurts when you get caught (sadly, doing something that didn’t have to be illegal to begin with).

• 9irish - May 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

or they can spend 18-21 in Iraq or Afghanistan, and THEN come back and have their first beer. Ridiculous.

6. canadianndfan - May 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Guess we should all be happy this party Daniels was busted at wasn’t in SEC country! Police would probably have found a tipped over beer truck, a table of blow that would have made Tony Montana do a double take, guns and drunk strippers from the local gentleman’s club! lol

7. gtizzo - May 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Keith I’m starting not to envy you,

Such a turbulent off season and the season is still months away. I’m sure your looking forward to writing about ND and there big win in Ireland over Navy. Then a follow up with a home win against Purdue. Hopefully the Irish get a big recruit who will pledge his undying love for the Irish in the coming weeks. Keep up the good work…even if it is hard and sometimes not “news worthy”.

8. totallydisgusted - May 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

FELONS AND THUGS AT NOTRE DAME OH BOY! ND IS STARTING TO SOUND LIKE AN SEC SCHOOL. HOPEFULLY IT TRANSLATES TO SEC TYPE DOMINANCE LOL!

• irish4006 - May 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Really!! A college kid drinking in a private party is a felony now? I wonder how the world looks from a horse that high.

What these guys did is something every college kid does. They were not stealing, cheating, robbing, fighting or anything like that. I would be disappointed if the punishment from school is too harsh. There is nothing in these reports to suggest that they are bad kids, but a lot to suggest that they are just kids.

9. jcarrillo7828 - May 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Not excusing these college kids (by the way they ARE young normal college kids), but we’re not seeing ND players doing robberies and selling drugs (look around at many other division one programs). Alot of our fan base gets all up in arms but lets be realistic, we all drank under age in college. These are normal stupid kids doing normal stupid things. They’re just not as lucky or clever as we were to not get caught. Let me know when we start recruiting criminals then I’ll be worried. Lets get ready for football. Enough said

10. chicagoirish23 - May 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Keith, wondering if I can get your thoughts on this article: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/12602606-419/notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly-sent-the-wrong-message.html

• 9irish - May 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I think that is reaching. Granted, if Floyd were a nobody the outcome may have been different, but I think the influence on others is extremely exaggerated in that article. This stuff has been going on forever, and always will. But in this microscopic world that we live in now, these players need to realize that everything they do is going to be reported on. Nobody cares, or will hear about it, if Joe Blow got a ticket for underage consumption. That is really the lesson.

• 1historian - May 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM

To me the Sun-Times piece implies that if Kelly had kicked Floyd off the team Rees,
      Calabrese and Daniels would not have pulled the stupid stunts that they pulled.

I just think that’s too much of a stretch.

P.S – I know I’m not Keith and that you didn’t ask me

• chicagoirish23 - May 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I both agree with your comment and appreciate your input.

• bernhtp - May 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think that the Mishawaka Indian chief caught one of Father Sorin’s young seminarians with firewater. There is a long tradition of Notre Dame students, including football players, drinking under age and occasionally getting caught. The notion that this happens because of the message Kelly sent in the handling of Floyd is completely absurd.

• bernhtp - May 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Here’s a good take on the article: http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2012/05/22/kiffin-meyer-kelly-others/

• nudeman - May 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

There are always ND haters who post trash like the Sun Times article in the wake of any hiccup
        Kids drinking beer in college and the program is out of control

This writer should move to Tallahassee, Birmingham or Baton Rouge
        He’d have great fodder for his column 24×7

11. audomer - May 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

When is Kelly going to address this situation?? The University is standing by taking gut punches from every news outlet in the country and I’m hearing nothing about how this is being handled.

Is this cause for concern? Should I be happy with the laissez-faire approach to this situation?

• chicagoirish23 - May 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

That’s what the University is suppose to do. When Notre Dame fired Willingham they took a public beating, when Declan died they took a public beating, and when David Haugh led the charge agaisnt the linebacker who should not be named the school took a public beating. Everyone who has a negative opinion about Notre Dame comments about how the image is tarnished. When do you hear the University say we are worried about our image? The University is worried about what it should worry about, the people involved in these situations. Last time I checked, I’m not Tommy Rees and neither is Mark Potash and the University will deal w/ Tommy Rees the way they see fit and they operate like it’s none of our damn business, which is the way it should be. Which is a proper efficient way that doesn’t open the door up to situations like USC, Ohio State and North Carolina. Notice when Notre Dame has a “scandal” it’s on the lead of ESPN for a night and it starts to die out. Every newspaper peson will write about it for a couple days because they know it will sell papers but it dies out. Eventually these big dust ups become what they are, college kids making the typical mistakes that college kids make. Should Carlo and Tommy have been smarter about their situation, yes, but they are in college and this is what happens.

I applaud the University for the way it handles these situations. My reasons are because although we may have some kids make stupid mistakes and put themselves in bad situations, we don’t have players parents getting houses from agents (or at least I hope not), we don’t have players selling their jersey’s (or at least I hope not), and we don’t have players arrested for serious felonies like armed robbery, assualt w/ a deadly weapon, and running a massive drug trafficing scheme (or at least I hope not). That’s the kind of stuff that these so called student athletes participate in all around the country. Now, I’m not saying it’s okay for Tommy and Carlo to do what they did because of that kind of stuff. They are at Notre Dame and they should be held to a higher standard but they shouldn’t be demonized and expelled from school because of the preceived image of Notre Dame by the outside press.

• 1historian - May 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM

1) well said
        2) ditto
        3) thanks

• 9irish - May 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Damn well said.

• audomer - May 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM

That’s great Chicago, but nobody answered my question. When will Brian Kelly address this situation?

It’s funny how everyone jumped my comment, but am i the only one who wants to know these things?? I actually think that Notre Dame needs alot of changes in their policies. This silence treatment is getting kind of stale. Of course this is my opinion.

I’m a huge Notre Dame fan, but i kind of understand why we’re hated so much when a simple explanation turns into a 2 paragragh novel on why “our” school is better than yours……jeez

• bernhtp - May 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Why do you think that Kelly hasn’t started to address the situation? I’m sure he has met with Tommy and Carlo to get their side of the story, subject to legal limitations since the charges are still pending. These matters are handled thoroughly, thoughtfully and mostly privately. I expect a public announcement to the extent there are public implications, e.g., suspensions from practice and/or games. This will happen later. There is no need for any statements sooner.

• nudeman - May 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Seriously, who cares?

We’re talking about a mediocre LB who wouldn’t start for most top 20 teams and a below average QB who DEFINITELY would not start for any other top 20 team. Losing them both for the entire year (unlikely) will likely have zero impact and might be addition by subtraction.

It’s 116 on my list of 115 things I’m worried about.

• audomer - May 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Thanks Bernhtp!

12. nudeman - May 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I know Keith has to post on this stuff, but it sure would be great to get back to talking some football.

I don’t care if a kid who’s 19 or 20 has a beer.
    I don’t even care if he gets cited for it.
    Kneeing a cop is only slightly more interesting, but not much.
    Getting chased down by a cab driver is even barely on the radar.

Anybody got anything of a recruiting or on the field nature to share?
    At this point, a discussion of who will be the 3rd string punter would be a step up

• chicagoirish23 - May 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I can’t believe I’m going to say this to you nudeman…I agree.

• 1historian - May 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

ditto

WHY do I keep saying that?