Irish add OLB Danny Mattingly to ’13 recruiting class

Jun 27, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT

Danny Mattingly

Notre Dame received a verbal commitment from outside linebacker Danny Mattingly yesterday, adding another critical piece to a ’13 recruiting class that now sits at 15 members. Mattingly, a Spokane native, has seen his profile grow over the past few months, securing offers from Alabama, Nebraska and Oklahoma, to go along with offers from just about every program in the Pacific Northwest. Yet Mattingly’s ties to Indiana, and his life-long love of Notre Dame, were enough to help him pull the trigger after his visit to campus earlier in the week.

ā€œI loved everything about it ā€“ the campus, the facilities, the tradition,ā€ Mattingly told The Spokesman-Review. ā€œI’m Catholic and come from a family of nine. I always wanted to go there.”

Mattingly’s got all the pedigree you’d ask for in a prospect, he’s the nephew of former Yankees star and current Dodgers manager Don Mattingly, has a father that played college football and a brother that played at Washington State. At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, Mattingly profiles perfectly as an outside linebacker, while Oklahoma offered him as a tight end.

Mattingly joins Jaylon Smith as linebackers in a recruiting class that might be 3/4 full before the 4th of July, something almost unfathomable just a few years ago. While the past few recruiting classes have focused on ‘Cat’ linebacker prospects like Ishaq Williams and Romeo Okwara, Mattingly and Smith join Ben Councell as guys that profile perfectly for the ‘Dog’ position, a spot where the Irish were seemingly understaffed last season, with Prince Shembo playing out of place last season.

The Irish haven’t been to Spokane much and pulling Mattingly — something many thought was a formality — is an impressive feat. It’s been almost 30 years since Notre Dame signed Aaron Robb from the area. Robb won a national championship with the Irish in 1988, something every Irish fan hopes Mattingly will be able to do.

Mattingly was first-team all-league and Co-Defensive MVP of the Greater Spokane League after racking up 75 tackles, forcing four fumbles, and making five interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns. He’s also a standout prep baseball player.

1. gtizzo - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The Irish could have a great linebacker core. There are still a few more to get but what a great class to help fill the hole left when Manti goes to play on Sunday. Still could use some offensive weapons, and maybe a defensive back or two but good work.

2. kleinick - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Can’t wait to start calling this kid ‘Danny Football’ when he’s makin plays in 3 years. Stay hot on the recruiting trail ND!!!

3. irisheyesinsd - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Been a while since I left a comment, even though I check the site almost every day…doing my part to keep those advertising dollars coming in for NBC.

So not a lot of accolades for this kid mentioned in the article unless you consider co-defensive MVP for the prodigious Spokane region an accolade worth writing about. Is he a top 150 guy? 3 star? 4 star? Or just flying under the radar even though he has offers from elite programs? Saying we were able to land him with little effort can be taken both ways.

Either way, Kelly wouldn’t offer him and let him accept right now if he didn’t think he was a critical piece to the puzzle — and that trumps recruiting rankings and accolades. Welcome aboard Mr. Mattingly.

• kleinick - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM

irisheyes – you live in San Diego? Where do you watch the games? I usually watch at home because there doesn’t seem to be any good ND bars.

Regarding Mattingly (or any other recruit for that matter) – If Bama offered him, he’s a stud in my book.

• irisheyesinsd - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Kleinick–yes, San Diego. I graduated in ’97 and my bro in ’00. We usually watch the games with my dad. We live in Carlsbad and the game watches have been in downtown or PB, so too far for us to travel after a few beers.

I hold the same sentiments on the Bama offer….and Okla, Ore, and Neb.

• papadec - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM

irisheyes – espn has Danny as a three star with a score of 79. His older brother, Andy, was a beast @ Wash State – playing LB. I’d say he’s flying under the radar because he’s from the Spokane area. ND is lucky to get him! Someone @ ND is doing their recruiting homework. If he wasn’t such a big ND fan – he probably would have stayed in-state (my speculation) and played @ Wash St or (yuch) UW.

4. h3rec0medairish - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Should be interesting to see him play in a couple years. Whether it is at outside linebacker or another position.

Quick question, does anyone know what is taking so long for the official jersey numbers of the incoming freshman to be released and also number switches for current players? I know some of them if not all have received their numbers, just curious why we haven’t heard about it. If anyone knows of a website with them on there, let me know!

• irisheyesinsd - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

single digit numbers are very popular and there is more than a few that want or were even promised them.

5. gtizzo - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Time to dish Keith,

Any word on the new TV deal with NBC? Jack Swarbrick has been quoted as saying that ND and NBC are “close” to a deal. Any word?

6. charleslouis99 - Jun 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM

why do the Irish have their own news section they suck who cares about the stupid Catholics

• nudeman - Jun 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

charles.
      Very classy

Any chance this is you?
      (In white)

• jrct2450yahoo - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Comments like this really don’t deserve a response…

• nudeman - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

then why did you …never mind

7. turknd - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Keith, I can’t find any footage of him, any links you can post? Or anyone else?

8. snake2412 - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Well Charles Catholics make up biggest demographic of religious people in the country an second nd is on of the most storied teams in all of college football, thx for calling me stupid btw since I’m catholic I live about hour half south of Spokane excited to see him play at a national level he won’t disappoint

• nudeman - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

When he’s not in his white hood & robe every Friday night through Monday a.m., here is Charles at work. (skip to the 45 second pt to save time)

9. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Let’s hope he plays baseball too.

• papadec - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

joisey – Danny does play baseball – very well.

10. charleslouis99 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM

why don’t they have a storied team news section that doesn’t have mediocre teams and players like Alabama or Michigan
    Notre dame sucks so don’t kid yourself either you know they suck

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I went to urbandictionary.com and found the following definition:

Worthless Loser – noun, def. Someone who attends a lower echelon state school with inferior athletics who spends his time trolling the web sites of other teams pointlessly trying to infuriate the fans of another team; see also douchebag. Usage – Can you believe this worthless loser? He said storied team news section! Douchebag.

11. charleslouis99 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

ha its funny you people think you know me your comebacks are lame why would I be a worthless loser if my teams rarely lose to the Irish

12. polk94 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM

what the hell I come on this site for news about good teams not the Irish they suck so much ass

• nudeman - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

So you you think ND stinks
      But you come to an ND site looking for news on a good team?

Clown alert

13. polk94 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

when I come to this app I expect to find news on good teams not the crappy Irish

14. charleslouis99 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM

stop with the dumb photo references this is NBC sports talk not the Notre dame sports talk app I’m sure you people begged to be included like you do with everything

15. fnc111 - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

This smells like a scUM fan. I think I love ND more now because the first mention of Notre Dame people go crazy with their fits of rage. A co worker threatened to fight me because I’m an ND fan. I hate to use the J word but so many obnoxious fans from schools all over the map cry whenever ND is involved in something. They always ask why this why that? Get a clue and you might stop crying in your beer someday Charles.

ND has the largest fan base in the country.

16. charleslouis99 - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM

ha haha ha largest fanbase in the country that’s laughable who in their right mind would support such a lousy team

17. polk94 - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

such a disgrace of a fanbase. you all make UM fans look like angels piece of crap team

18. charleslouis99 - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

ik man they’re just overconfident thinking that because they’re Catholic they own the world

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

That’s right and we own heaven too.