Jul 6, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Apologies for an abbreviated post. Thanks to a massive thunderstorm in northern Minnesota, we’re coming to you live via 3G with no power to be had in the greater Leech Lake area. But that won’t stop us from giving you a bit of an Irish football update, where six Notre Dame ’13 recruits will take part in The Opening, a high-profile Nike sponsored combine.
Jaylon Smith leads the group of recruits, joined by CB Devin Butler, OLs Steve Elmer and Colin McGovern, andWRs James Onwualu and Corey Robinson. The Notre Dame contingency will work through SPARQ testing and 7-on-7 drills while helping or hurting their proverbial stock, an exercise that’s a little bit silly considering just about every recruit in Oregon have multiple scholarship offers on the table.
One uncommitted recruit to keep an eye on is linebacker Alex Anzalone. He’s set to make a decision sometime this weekend, choosing between Notre Dame, Penn State and Florida. All three schools feel like they’re in a good place for the talented linebacker, with family ties to the Gators helping Will Muschamp, a brother in State College and proximity to home helping the Nittany Lions, and a great familiarity with players, coaches and recruits turning this into the Irish’s battle to lose. Locking in Anzalone would most likely finalize the Irish’s linebacking corps for the year and put together an impressive group with Smith, and Danny Mattingly on the outside, and Michael Deeb joining Anzalone on the inside.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 31
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 103
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18