Counting down the Irish: 2012’s Top 25

Jul 20, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT

Manti Te'o junior

With the end of informal workouts coming to an end, it’s time to knock out our annual Top 25 on the Irish roster. As we’ve done the past few years, it’s a fairly simple exercise that produces some unusual results.

This year, I’m excited about the group of panelists that begrudgingly played along with my silly game. The group:

Eric Hansen, South Bend Tribune
John Walters, The Daily
John Vannie, NDNation.com
Eric Murtaugh, representing the team at OneFootDown.com
Ryan Ritter, representing the team at HerLoyalSons.com
Keith Arnold, NBCSports.com’s Inside the Irish

Just about everyone in America could agree that All-Americans Tyler Eifert and Manti Te’o are the best two players on the Irish roster. But from there, well… it got interesting.

We’ll roll out our composite list five at a time starting Monday, with some discussion between the panels and hopefully along with you in the comments and on Twitter.

For a quick trip down memory lane, here’s a look at my Top 25 from 2010:

20. Zack Martin
21. Theo Riddick
22. Gary Gray
23. Taylor Dever
24. TJ Jones
25. Nick Tausch

Looking back, obviously names like Nick Tausch were in the pre-David Ruffer era and TJ Jones was coming off lighting up his first spring practice as an early enrollee. Harrison Smith’s inclusion at No. 15 was ridiculed back then, before he racked up a huge junior season on his way to being selected in the first round.

Here’s the compilation list from our panelists from 2011:

TOP 25 in 2011
25. Taylor Dever (OT, Sr.)
24. Chris Watt (OG, Jr.)
23. Zeke Motta (S, Jr.)
22. Aaron Lynch (DE, Fr.)
21. Carlo Calabrese (LB, Jr.)
20. TJ Jones (WR, Soph.)
19. Louis Nix (NT, Soph.)
18. Braxston Cave (C, Sr.)
17. Tommy Rees (QB, Soph.)
16. Prince Shembo (OLB, Soph.)
15. Trevor Robinson (OG, Sr.)
14. Ethan Johnson (DE, Sr.)
13. Dayne Crist (QB, Sr.)
12. Tyler Eifert (TE, Jr.)
11. Kapron Lewis-Moore (DE, Sr.)
10. Robert Blanton (CB, Sr.)
9. David Ruffer (K, Sr.)
8. Theo Riddick (WR, Jr.)
7. Cierre Wood (RB, Jr.)
6. Darius Fleming (OLB, Sr.)
5. Gary Gray (CB, Sr.)
4. Zack Martin (LT, Jr.)
3. Harrison Smith (S, Sr.)
2. Manti Te’o (ILB, Jr.)
1. Michael Floyd (WR, Sr.)

Looking back, it’s hard to argue with the top three, but the first disappointment is obviously Gary Gray, who had a substandard season after looking really good in 2010. In retrospect, Tyler Eifert was about 10 spots too low as well.

It’s a fun exercise and hopefully we all enjoy the debate and look back with the upcoming 2012 list.

1. Herring Bone - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I’m extremely curious to see the variations on Ishaq Williams on these lists. I think many are convinced he’s about to explode, while the tape studiers know it’s less about what he can do and more about him giving the energy and effort consistently to go out and actually do it.

Not to mention we’ll get sneak peeks on how high our experts are placing each of the WRs. These lists are likely to be all over the place outside the Top 5-7

• Herring Bone - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Keith – You weren’t in the minority on Gary Gray. I thought he was a dark horse All-America candidate & 1st Round pick. ALL the intangibles, just a terrible season.

2. ndlv - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

22 – D. Fox
    23 – B. Koyack
    24 – A. Carlisle
    25 – J. Atkinson

• dmac4real - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Differentiating opinions:

-Tuitt is going to be damn good, but i would not put him at 4. That seems 5 spots (atleast) to high.

-Wood. A lot of domers are not appreciating him enough. The kid is for real. Hes top 5 easy in my book.

-Atkinson- To high for me. All hes done so far is return kicks.

– Same for Niklas.

-Riddick should be higher in my book. He had a real good spring game.

-I like the Amir Carlisle at 24. We dont know much about him, but we know hes talented.

-This is my biggest problem. Where the hell is Robby Toma. All that guy does is produce

• cam2ham - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

- Although Atkinson may have only returned kicks, after the spring game and that ridiculous skill set of his it’s hard not to think he won’t have a major impact.

– I agree about Riddick, to me for this offense to perform at it’s maximum capability Riddick is going to have to be a top 8 player, we all know he has the potential just needs to perform hopefully something similar to a Mardy Gilyard.

Riddick/Wood/Atkinson/Eifert/Jones/Toma two tall receivers in Goodman/Daniels, an outstanding O Line this offense has the potential to blow, pray to god we can get good QB play this year.

3. smurphdoggy29 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Keith,
    I really enjoy these type of lists and appreciate the insight. Adds a bit of flavor to the overall team experience !

I look forward to where my two favorite players might be (or not) ranked, Slaughter and Motta. Or even my top four: Nicklas, Riddick, Slaughter, Motta. At least some of them should be top twenty five material right ?

See you in Dublin Keith, Brazen Head !

GO Irish !
    Beat Navy !

• irish4006 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I have high hopes for Slaughter (based on the sparks I have seen here and there) and Niklas (unknown at this point, but initial reviews have been great), not so much for Riddick or Motta (I am yet to see anything special out of him). One person who will not make the list but, I think, will surprise everyone is Amir. I have a feeling (no science, just my impression based on what I heard about his talent) that he will be the 2nd back behind Wood. I am really looking forward to see something special to come out of our backfield. When Gray went down last year, we had to move Theo back to RB, now this will likely be our position of strength on offense this year.

• nudeman - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Motta?
        If it’s just sort of a “gimme” because he’s a senior, an honorary sort of thing, then OK. But the list then lacks integrity. I also don’t see how Fox or Calabrese should be on there.

The offense alone probably has 14 or 15 guys better than them, when you consider how deep RB and TE and the OL are.

This begs the question Keith (which you won’t answer): What are the criteria?

• dmac4real - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Agreed. Motta may take the worst angles of any football player in the history of man kind.

• nudeman - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Not exactly great hands either.
        But so what? ND isn’t into INTs

21 LB Jarrett Grace
    22 DE Chase Hounshell
    23 DE Kapron Lewi-Moore
    24 OLB Prince Shembo
    25 Danny Spond

• jimbasil - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I forgot Slaughter. He’d be at about 6 or 7. Take out Spond.

• nudeman - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

This is a pretty good list I’d say
      Maybe Davonte being on there is a stretch because he hasn’t yet played a down
      But I think everyone expects him to be good enuf to be on here

• jimbasil - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’m working on my numbers today. I only managed to double up the number 13. Oy. I put Neal in there because of potential and his speed. I doubt we see him in anything but mop up for the first couple of games. The same with Ferguson.

My biggest hope is the Secondary shows everyone up and plays very well.

• dmac4real - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Is this list a lot of potential? We all have our opinions, but Ishaq, Daniels, Neal, Ferguson, Grace, and Houshell really dont have any merits to reach a potential list in my book. And you gotta put Kappy higher. Hes a solid DE.

5. dmac4real - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Why not give it a try…

1. Te’o
    2. Eifert
    3. Martin
    4. Wood
    5. Cave
    6. Slaughter
    7. Watt
    8. Nix
    9. Whoever the RT is (I forgot if its Nichols or Lombard)
    10. Kapron Lewis-Moore
    11. Tuitt
    12. Theo Riddick
    13. Kona Schwenke
    14. Bennet Jackson
    15. Robby Toma
    16. TJ Jones
    17. The RG (Nichols/Hanratty/Golic)
    18. Prince Shembo
    19. Ishaq Williams
    20. George Atkinson
    21. Everett Golson
    22. Zeke Motta
    23. Troy Niklas
    24. Amir Carlise
    25. Davonte Neal/ Tommy Rees/ Danny Spond/ Ben Koyack/ Dan Fox/ Jarret Grace/ Any other borderline guy because there isnt much difference between 25-35.

It pains me to put EG this low, but we havent seen him in a game yet.

• nudeman - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

dmac
      You were doing great until you put a certain maligned QB in at tie for 25.
      On what planet and what team is he a top 25 player?

• dmac4real - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

That was 75% just to piss everyone off, and 25% because he beat USC once and has produced almost as many wins as Jimmy Clausen.

• andy44teg - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

South Dakota State University?

• goirishnd - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I would have Golson starting and in the top 5 of any list. But I think having an adequate backup like TR is more important than having an average safety like Motta. The rankings get pretty weak by #25.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Tommy would be about #6 on South Dakota State’s list…probably tied with their probably starter…Tommy has more experience, but Austin Sumner has a bigger arm and throws a prettier ball. Thanks for the love andy

• goirishnd - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

pretty sure amir carlisle is sitting this season out, right?

• bernhtp - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

No, Amir got an NCAA waiver long ago and is eligible this season. Despite the depth at RB/Slot, I expect him to be a big contributor if he can stay healthy.

6. andy44teg - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM

20. ABR
    21. ABR
    22. ABR
    23. ABR
    24. Dan Fox
    25. ABR
    There…I feel much better…Have a great weekend, everyone!!

• nudeman - Jul 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Glad someone besides me said this

7. domer77blowsgoats - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Can’t wait to see what schmuck puts a place kicker #1 like last year with Ruffner

8. 04domergrad - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Here’s mine. To me, Wood is extremely undervalued by ND fans. I thought he looked electric in the spring game and I’m expecting huge things from him this season.

Would love to see Tuitt and Williams give more effort and skyrocket up this list. Hopefully they just weren’t in college football shape yet as freshmen last year. I watched them dogging too many plays.

1. Te’o
    21. Fox
    22. I Williams
    23. Goodman
    24. Schwenke
    25. G Atkinson

9. cpfirish - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Really!! Please TR in the top 25!! Wow! Robby Toma is in the top ten! He will be a big time clutch player this year..

10. mwmg42 - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Recruiting question for anyone out there:
    Is there a reason Notre Dame hasn’t extended an offer to WR Robert Foster? Is it academics related?

Despite his potential behavior issues, I would love to see ND pick up Kearse and put him out at Wideout with Kiel….

11. cvilleirish - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

According to Rivals, the Irish have offered Robert Foster.

• mwmg42 - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thanks…I am more a Scout.com follower so maybe thats why I missed it…We need a few BIG catch WRS

12. bernhtp - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM

25. R. Toma

26. K. Schwenke
    27. M. Golic
    28. T. Nicklas
    29. D. Fox
    30. L. Wood

I’ve got G Atkinson lower than most despite his prolific yardage in the BG game due to his yet-unresolved fumblitis and I expect kickoff returns to be less important due to rule changes. When looking back at last season’s video, Atkinson did not look (nearly) as good as Carlisle for (then) USC. Carlisle and Neal are the prototypical speed backs (and slots), though Neal may end up as a DB (or even a WR).

I put both Golson and Hendrix pretty high due to the importance of the position and the likelihood of dual-QB use and injury.

• bernhtp - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I neglected to put in J. Goodman. While he has been a huge contributor in years past, I expect him to step up to help after the graduation of Floyd. He certainly has the athletic ability and we’ll soon see if he has the heart. I’ll put him in at #25 (move others down), but he does have the opportunity to move up significantly if he can put it together.

13. smurphdoggy29 - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Keith,
    Here is an idea for a television type series you can launch.
    I got the idea from perusing the various comments of the community here.

Let’s have a CSI: Guglielmino Athletics Center.

The first episode can be related to Coach Kelly’s development of the Quarterback’s

What prompted this idea ? Well it struck me that Coach Kelly has been noted as a molder of Quarterback’s. That he has been able to build up the RKG to run his offense.
    Yet, yet here we are middle of the Summer of 2012 staring down a season in the distance and we (as in all Notre Dame fans) still have a myriad of questions about whom the Quarterback will be. Now I have proposed many times that the pass catchers are going to blow it up (starting at Aviva Stadium, Brazen Head see you there) in 2012 and that production is THE key. So knowing this it caught my attention that something was amiss, where is this production at the Quarterback position ?

So that is where the spark came from for CSI: Guglielmino Athletics Center

Thank you.

Carry on.

GO Irish !
    Beat Navy !

• nudeman - Jul 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM

smurph
      Despite the fact that he deserves to be suspended for a year for fighting with a cop, I hope Rees gets no suspension. Yes, you read that right because THEN …

… THEN we will see what kind of developer of QBs and decision maker Kelly is

If he sticks with his boy, and spouts the same trash about checking us into good plays and the other guys don’t know the playbook, then I’ve lost complete faith in him. I would like to know this sooner rather than later

If he starts – AND STICKS WITH – Golson, then my faith will be reinvigorated.

A suspension just gives BK an easy out.

• jrct2450yahoo - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Nude, please explain to me the enthusiasm from you and others in this forum for a QB who has never played a down and isn’t smart enough to grasp the full playbook. I just can’t understand it. Yes, I totally agree with you where TR is concerned, but Golson…. Please….

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Well everything is relative, including my “enthusiasm” for EG.
        Yes, I know he’s raw; will prob make mistakes, etc etc. And if the other choice was to play Matt Barkley or the reincarnation of John Huaarte, we wouldn’t be talking about EG.
        But the other options are
        1) AH who I believe is lacking in poise and could himself be something af an INT machine;
        2) Rees … Do we need to go there?
        3) GK who’s even rawer than EG and prob not ready.

So for me, AG is the best option. Or maybe the least onerous. That’s all.

• dmac4real - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

@JRct

It is mostly because of his high school tapes and spring game performances. He has had the best BG game of any of the QB’s on any CBK team at ND. Add that to an insane HS recruiting tape and you get the hype

FYI he had one the most prolific HS careers (top 5 in numbers) of any one in the history of American High School football (and he was injured 2/3 of his senior year). The kid just balls. Hard.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I meant “EG” in that last sentence.
      Typo

14. cpfirish - Jul 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I am not to worried… EG will be the man this year.. And I think BK knows that as well!

15. mtflsmitty - Jul 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I’m surprised Hendrix is only mentioned once (Bern) in the discussion thus far. I know everyone got down on him after the int in the BG game. We just can’t have the ints we had last season. But he also made great throws (1st TD) that show what a gun he has. Hendrix’s arm strength is amazing, solid runner which Ds have to respect, size suggesting durability, and he’s obviously bright. I like Golson a lot. But I think Hendrix is a better 2012 option.

GA will have a breakout season with 900+ yards on the ground and 300 in the air.

• bernhtp - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

This is a great article. While focused on Hendrix,it gives some interesting back story on the recruiting of Hendrix and Rees during the Weis era.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Good article. It is hard not to like this guy. He speaks with such passion re: baseball, his love for ND, his parents, etc. Great kid.

Unfortunately I don’t ever see him being a starter for ND, barring injuries. He’s close from almost every standpoint. But he’s rattle-prone and has too much of a ready-FIRE-aim mentality throwing.

• c4evr - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Anybody else here concerned with Kelly’s statement… “Just that confidence. That’s what I want from him. That’s what I need from him.”, after 2+ years working with a kid that has, seemingly, the whole package?? For someone who’s resume feather is that he develops QB’s, he certainly sounds a little desperate and grasping. Maybe the ready-FIRE-aim situation is an extension of Kelly’s inability to instill confidence in his players?

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

c4
        YES yes yesssssss
        I have come to be concerned with EVERYTHING involving BK and QB development

• bernhtp - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Nude and c4:

Confidence comes with comfort, which comes with repetitions and experience. Hendrix is a guy that committed to football late, ran a very different type of offense in high school, and has had little experience for the Irish outside of practice. He got his 4-star rating not for his HS stats – they paled in comparison to Golson who was a 3-4 star guy – but for his prodigious physical abilities (both body and arm), his great intelligence, character and attitude, and his swift forward progression. Weis (and many others) bet that Andrew would ultimately develop into a great QB.

One cannot materially fix a weak arm or slow legs (e.g., Rees), but unflappable confidence can be gained with experience and success. Unlike many others here, I believe that Hendrix has what it takes to develop into a great QB for the Irish. This does not mean he will beat out Golson, who has his own strengths, but I would certainly not write him off.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

bern
        First, I think AH was only a 3 star. Check that if you’d like, but I’m pretty sure on that.

AH is smart, athletically gifted and a good person in all regards. And if there was an unlimited amount of time for ND to play him, let him learn, and not worry about the results for a year, then I’d be more inclined to agree with your rosey assessment of him as an ND QB.

But that luxury doesn’t exist.
        ND football – like other high profile programs – is a “win now” thing. And AH doesn’t have an infinite amt. of time to learn. He’s a Jr this Fall, has only 3 years of eligibility left (maybe only 2 if he wants to go to Med school right away), and there are quite possibly 3 more talented QBs behind him (Kiel, EG and Zaire).

I maintain that his best option is a position switch.

• dmac4real - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Nude:

He was a 4 star.

• bernhtp - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Nude: Their Rivals ratings.

Andrew Hendrix: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Andrew-Hendrix-94603

Everett Golson: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Everett-Golson-72929

16. cpfirish - Jul 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Does anybody know when fall practice starts?? And what is the latest with TR?? Is he suspended? Has he been involved in the summer workouts??

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Fall practice started today…i sat on my couch and screamed at the TV while eating a bag full of fast food nutrition.

I also played some DVR footage of College programming on espn….so i banged out about 100 “mute button” reps whenever Mark May started talking. My thumb is feeling the burn, but by the time the season gets here…i’ll be ripped. My thumb is gonna look like a mini Lou Ferrigno.

As for TR, i heard he mistakenly identified his court date as an irish receiver…so, naturally, he missed it.

17. mtflsmitty - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

The Hendrix story is outstanding.

Golson’s high school exploits are amazing, and I love what he’s shown thus far for the Irish. I’d be happy to see him start. But I must admit, I’m pulling for Hendix.

18. mwmg42 - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Would this be the time for ND to re-target PSU’s commit and top two TE/WR prospect Adam Breneman?

• bernhtp - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

PSU will certainly lose some commits because of the sanctions. I would also add that the post-season ban leaves everyone open for penalty-free transfer. I don’t know if it is already too late for transfer this season. I imagine the vultures, including ND, are already circling.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

mw
      Why?
      Torn his ACL. Didja’ know that?
      More importantly, you do that and you risk losing Heurmann who’s been every vocal about trying to get others to join the IrishMob13

I say “sorry” to Breneman, unless there’s something I’m missing here

• mwmg42 - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I think Heurmann is loyally committed to the Irish and don’t get me wrong, I think Heurmann will be the better overall player at the tight end position in the long run (stronger/tougher).I just don’t know why we would pass up the opportunity to grab a second 4/5 star tight end if we could. ND could always run a two-tight end set or push him out to play WR like a Samardzija..

Also, in regards to the ACL. Plenty of athletes suffer tears these days and undergo surgery. A running back with a tear would be more of a gamble to me. I guess I feel that using one scholarship on a top 50 (scout-37 and rivals-27) player seems like a worthwhile addition.

All this said, WHAT RECEIVER PROSPECT(S) do people think we have the best chance of landing?

• nudeman - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM

mwmg
        If you read the other boards and the comments of those on the inside, they’re not going after Breneman for exactly the reason I stated. Apparently when they recruited Mattingly, Miami tried to tell Heurman that they were bringing him in as a TE. It bothered Heurman enough that he contacted the coaching staff to ask what was up.
        They assured him Mattingly was being brought in as a LB.

On top of that, is there any position of strength on ND that comes even close to what they’ve already got at TE? Welch, Koyack, Eifert, Niklas. Then throw Heurman into that mix and they’re set.

There is no reason to piss this kid off and risk losing him by bringing in a guy who said “no” to ND once already and has a torn ACL.

Breneman ain’t walkin’ through that door in SB anytime soon.

• mwmg42 - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I guess he apparently isn’t de-committing anyway….So no worries about the guy whatsoever…

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Sure, target their commits that were on our list, but lets target some of their current players too, at least those that declare a desire to transfer.

All of their current players are eligible to transfer without sitting out for a year…and say what you want about JoePa and his mistakes, but when it came to recruiting, he was chasing RKGs just like BK. JoePa never worried about the number of stars by a players name or their ranking on “IFollowHighSchoolBoysAroundIncessantly.com”

Finding a few of those current players that want a chance to play for something could really help fill out the depth chart.

19. bernhtp - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM

The NCAA didn’t give Penn State the death penalty, but it did give a very long prison term with a large cellmate named Bubba.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I hope their prison cell is a bright color…at least something that’s san dusky.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The most onerous and least sympathetic defendant I’ve ever seen was Casey Anthony.
        A selfish, narcissistic a**hole; a “10” on a scale of 10.

Then Sandusky came along, and the videos of him playing with kids at his summer camp, waiding through the lake with a big sh**eating grin on his face, the denial…

No punishment is too harsh and I’m actually glad his crime isn’t death penalty eligible, because BY FAR sitting in his nice cell for the next 20 years with no little boys around to amuse him … PERFECT.

Hope he lives until he’s 110

20. bernhtp - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Rees pleads guilty to two misdemeanor counts:

Note that I predicted this 100% accurately, including the community service as punishment.

I wonder if my streak will continue with a two-game suspension.