Camp practice reports: Jump to conclusions edition

Aug 6, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT

Spring Practice

Football is finally here. That means we get to overanalyze video, jump to conclusions, and see just how good a team can be in shorts and helmets, one of my favorite (honest, I love it) exercises of the year.

Thankfully our friends at UND.com haven’t let us down, coming up with some spiffy new features in their videos including some heart-pumping score and a snazzy new intro to their videos.

Since most of you don’t have the time to break these videos down frame-by-frame, I thought I’d do it for you. Thoughts coming beneath the video.

***

***

0:12 — Ominous new tunes for the FIDM video crew. It’s clear even the video team is ready to forget last season, turn the page, and welcome the challenge of 2012.

0:17 — I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing this photo in montages across the internets. From left to right we’ve got senior guard Chris Watt (66), Zack Martin (70), Braxston Cave (52), and Mike Golic (57).

0:23 — Anyone worried that Louis Nix didn’t come to camp in shape should worry not. Big Lou looks in terrific shape (down right svelte) as he heads to practice.

0:34 — That’s freshman safety C.J. Prosise returning kicks in a special teams segment. He might be next to George Atkinson in returns, giving the Irish two burners back there.

1:18 — The video crew is trying to keep me quick, sandwiching quick cuts of Robby Toma making a nice catch and Theo Riddick running around the outside. These two seniors are going to be huge X factors this season if the Irish offense wants to get on track.

1:24 — Our first look at vaunted freshman Davonte Neal (#19). He may be slight — he’s listed at 5-foot-9, 171-pounds — but the speedster is already receiving good reviews and passes any eyeball test you can make in four seconds of video.

1:28Gunner Kiel (1) to All-American Tyler Eifert. Let’s just say if that happens this season, a whole lot has gone sideways.

1:34 — Our first look at freshman KeiVarae Russell (6) running as a cornerback with junior wide receiver TJ Jones (7). Russell is a good enough athlete to make the transition and it wouldn’t surprise me if he finds his way onto the field early.

1:40Everett Golson took the first snaps with the No. 1 offense on Saturday. Here he dumps a screen pass to Jones over the middle. If the Irish offense is going to make some evolutionary steps forward, they’ll need to have a better screen game… among other things.

1:52 — That’s Davonte Neal again, running a nice pattern and coming down with the ball after veteran safety Danny McCarthy closes in on him.

2:00 — Blink and you might miss it, but that’s freshman receiver Chris Brown (2) running a deep route and coming down with the ball.

2:08 — That’s fellow freshman Justin Ferguson (15) making a catch of his own. Interesting to note that both Brown and Ferguson check in at 6-foot-2, with Ferguson having almost 25 pounds on Brown checking in at 196 pounds (Brown is 172).

2:20 — That’s impressive work by Russell (6) in coverage, looking pretty smooth as he looks back for the ball and goes up against Ferguson. It’ll be fun to see how quickly this freshman class, a group that had many focusing on the guys that didn’t come, makes its mark on the field.

2:25 — Hey there, Davaris Daniels (10). That’s a mighty fine catch.

2:30 — Our first look at freshman running back Will Mahone (32). There’s a little bit of juice in those moves for a guy that was billed to be a power back coming into school.

***

***

0:08 — You can tell Jack Nolan is fired up. I half-expected him to drop a big long “YEEESSSSSS!” at the end of the intro.

0:27 — That’s defensive coordinator Bob Diaco donning his floppy hat again as he just beams intensity in his all-gear attire.

0:34 — New wide receivers coach Mike Denbrock teaching his wide receivers corps how to escape a jam from a defensive back.

1:05 — New offensive line coach Harry Hiestand giving Christian Lombard (74) some one-on-one blocking instructions.  Mike Golic (57) and Braxston Cave (52) get the next reps.

1:52 — Defensive line coach Mike Elston giving the ABCs of defensive line play. Interesting stuff with the “ear hole” block, explaining to all of us loyal viewers that if an offensive lineman isn’t looking at you and heading past, you’re probably going to be the target of someone else coming down the line.

2:24 — As Tony Alford runs the backs through drills, it’s good to see Cameron Roberson (31) working his way through drills. Roberson is still recovering from a serious knee injury that had many worried he wouldn’t play football again.

2:34Quarterback linebackers coach Bob Diaco works coverage drills with his troops. At 6-foot-4, 239-pounds, Romeo Okwara is a big dude. Especially considering he should still be in high school.

1. mattnef - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Love these videos. Can’t wait for 1 Sept.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The videos are great … surely BK needs to be leaning towards a QB by now to build the leadership and trust of the offense …The reps should be concentrating more on a starter by now, Golson should be the starter …..

Navy will be pumed, ND needs to be on point.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Allow me to be the first on the jump to conclusions mat. Keith, you’re right it’s only about 4 seconds but I was watching that video thinking damn, who’s #19, that kid looks good. Also Daniels looked very smooth with the one-handed grab along the sideline. I think our passing game will be a fine compliment to our run game.

• oldestguard - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Hate to see anyone jumping alone – right there with ya on both guys you mentioned.

Daniels prepped in my neck of the woods and I’ve been reading superlatives regarding him for 4 years now. Ready for the rest of the football world to find out about his talents.

Keep ‘em comng Keith !

3. nudeman - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Neal: Smaller than I thought but FAST
    Cam McDaniel: Smaller than small. Don’t get hurt, kid
    Nix: Anone know how much weight he’s lost? Borderline svelte
    Daniels: Good thing he caught that pass; otherwise lots of BK wrath for a 1 handed attempt no doubt
    K Russell: Pretty damn good, considering he’s been a CB for all of about 20 minutes

Omen: Interesting that the only 2 QBs we see here are Golson and Kiel. Just sayin’ …

• bethelkid - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Cam McDaniel is 5″10″ & 202 pounds…do you need glasses? Do you have any clue what his athletic background is? I already know what the answer to the latter question is.

4. smurphdoggy29 - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Keith excellent job, great videos !
    Pass catchers = Blowing it up, just sayin !

and for fun = as far as this department requires no physical fitness program. Everyone gets enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down the coach, knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing their luck. Thank you.

GO Irish !

Defeat Navy !

Petrify Purdue Pete our next protagonist !

• irishbornraised - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

*antagonist

5. dickasman - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Will I be able to watch every single nd football game on my iPad?

6. NotreDan - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Well, I’ve been lurking below the fray all summer. Good to see all the regulars here.

These videos make the hair stand up on my neck. This time of year; new cleats, fresh knees and hot sweaty double days. YES!!!

I see a top 5 recruiting class as probably the biggest positive sign for our beloved program.

This year will be interesting for sure. Tougher schedule than usual, but with many opportunities to score big and make a statement early.

My prediction is Golson and he will stick.

10 wins.

• nudeman - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Welcome back

• NotreDan - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Hey nude… you were right about TR.

OK, I need some redbreast after admitting that.

• nudeman - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

God Bless You, My Son

• Jennifer - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Notredan – “Lurking below the fray all summer. Good to see all the regulars here.” In that single sentence you spoke for a lot of us Lurkers. I’ve checked in regularly, and have enjoyed being able to just absorb Keith’s analysis and posters thoughts, facts and theories throughout the Off-Season.

My nails are still long enough for a manicure, but that will change with the opening kick-off in Ireland.

• jrct2450yahoo - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Ten wins??? Are you aware we play five teams in the pre-season top 25?? (Yes, I know, pre-season rankings) With no proven QB……. I hope you are right but trust me, it ain’t going to happen……Especially if its Golson……Ok, let the thumbs down begin……..

• NotreDan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

LOL. jrct, you’re obviously a rookie Irish fan (if indeed you are one). Come on… ’tis our pleasure and our plight to suffer in long silence for the chance to claim glory for our mother, Notre Dame

7. andy44teg - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Nice prediction on the record, NotreDan…and I hope you’re right about Golson. I think he has a chance to be very special if he can emerge as the clear cut starter and distance himself from the pack even further as the year wears on.

• jrct2450yahoo - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

NotreDan, I have been an Irish fan since before the mast majority of contributors to this forum were born. Let’s just say I predate Brennen….How many of you remember Bob Williams and 11-16-57?

8. ndnative - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Idea for Keith:

(sorry about the quality – only one with decent sound I could find)

• ndnative - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Crap – nevermind, the ‘Jump to Conclusions’ clip got hijacked somehow. Apologies.

9. andy44teg - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The printer scene is by far one of the better cinematic moments in film history….

10. h3rec0medairish - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Here’s another video:

Seems like Tyler Eifert got a little angry at Troy Niklas continually flipping the sled over lol

• kgirish - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Great video! the 1st minute…looks like our 1st string qb. fast paced offense!
      Troy Niklas = Monster