Final season one last chance for Lewis-Moore

Aug 7, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT

KLM hit

Kapron Lewis-Moore has come a long way since picking Notre Dame over five years ago. As a lanky 6-foot-4, 225-pound defensive end from Weatherford, Texas, Lewis-Moore was a recruit that came down to the wire, with the Irish being the last minute pick over hometown favorite Texas A&M.

Before Irish fans ever knew Deontay Greenberry or Ronald Darby, Lewis-Moore was lifting the Irish coaching staff’s spirits by picking the Irish just days after recommitting to his long-standing pledge to the Aggies.

“I had de-committed earlier this week because [the A&M coaches] wanted me to be 100-percent sure about my decision,” Lewis-Moore told AggieYell.com less than a week before Signing Day 2008. “I wasn’t ready to do that. I don’t really know why.

“But I talked to my coach and my mom for a long time on Tuesday and I decided that I was definitely ready to end the process. A&M is where my heart is and I am 100-percent solid to the Aggies.”

It turned out he wasn’t, and Lewis-Moore’s eleventh hour switch, done in concert with recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello and head coach Charlie Weis, helped Notre Dame secure a much-needed bookend to Ethan Johnson.

Fast forward five years and a lot has changed in South Bend. Lewis-Moore included. That stick thin defensive end is now a 306-pound block of granite, and one of the last remaining members of the much-anticipated recruiting class of 2008.

Moore went through multiple position coaches, defensive coordinators and head coaches during his rocky period in South Bend, and now, entering his third season under head coach Brian Kelly, he finally has some continuity. After a senior season that was plagued by injuries and disappointment, that isn’t lost on the veteran as he enters another training camp.

“It’s the fifth one. I’m really excited about it,” Lewis-Moore told a group of reporters after practice this week. “I’m actually just looking forward to having some fun out there.  A lot of guys dread camp, but being injured you take not playing for granted and missing time really hurt me a lot. I’m just going out there having fun.”

That fun is an important part of the 2012 season, and part of rebuilding trust and commitment after a 2011 season saw the Irish fall flat with a disappointing 8-5 season. Kelly talked about what he’s done to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself. And Lewis-Moore mentioned the rededication of the team this summer, understanding the difficult schedule that sits in front of this team.

“I think this has been one of the best summers we’ve had in a while,” Lewis-Moore said. “I’m not saying that everyone wasn’t buying into the program, but everyone can see the results that can happen and see that Coach Longo knows what he’s talking about. Having everyone give that extra effort, it goes a long way. I think that’s translated over to the field.”

That translation hopefully shows strongly on the defensive line. Even with the loss of Freshman All-American Aaron Lynch, the defensive line expects to be one of the strongest units on the team, a far cry from the group Lewis-Moore started with in South Bend.

“We’ve gotta have a big year this year,” Lewis-Moore said. “I feel like we’ve always been good, but this year we’re pretty strong. We’ve got a lot of people coming back and it’s going to be a big year for us.”

Starting across from massive sophomore Stephon Tuitt, Lewis-Moore will be counted on to lead the defensive unit, the veritable old man after a tumultuous five years.

***

1. bernhtp - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I certainly wish Kap a more successful and injury-free season than last year. He deserves it and hope he finds a spot at the next level after a great final season at Notre Dame.

2. bernhtp - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Did anyone else find the helmet photo used to be in particularly bad taste:

For those unaware, the shamrocked DS was used to commemorate Declan Sullivan, the student videographer than tragically died while up in a scissor lift during a freak wind storm.

If you feel the need to take a shot at Notre Dame as the most overrated program, have the sense to find a different stock photo.

• halincandenza - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Bern,

I echo your sentiments on that one. But Bleacher Report is a click mill. They intentionally publish sensationalist, unreported crap with baiting headlines.

I mention it because pasting a link into this site plays right into their hands.

Again: I agree with your sentiment. 100%

• 1historian - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Not only do I agree with you on the particularly bad taste exhibited, I would also add the fact that the writing is particularly stupid, and I only read the intro.

In the guy’s defense (?) I would venture that he probably does not even understand the significance of the DS shamrock.

I was going to castigate you (today is 50 cent word day!!) for bringing up the whole matter but I found to my delight that I have already forgotten the name of the dude who wrote the story, so that pretty well takes the wind out of THOSE sails.

Lucky me

Have a nice day

• bernhtp - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I’m sure he was ignorant of most things Irish as he picked the stock photo, which pretty much sums up the entirety of the article.

3. dmacirish - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

and nudeman comes on for the “who will be the qb? hopefully not tommy rees.” in 3… 2… 1…

4. irishbornraised - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I loved that speed, he looks great

5. dickasman - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM

He’s been a good soldier.

6. yaketyyacc - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:34 AM

my hat is off to you Lewisi-Moore, who represents all the unsung players, who do not get the publicity, but play with a heart and spirit, and dedication, that if possessed by the whole team would result in much more success. while other playeers wallow in self pity, or worse, self adulation, giving or not giving as to where they are on that scale, players like Lewis-Moore are always giving a thousand per cent, without the recognition. witness that so far only 6 have chosen to comment. enjoy your last year, and thanks for coming to Notre Dame.