Prestwood leaves team

Aug 8, 2012, 4:37 PM EST

Jordan Prestwood

The first big news out of fall camp came today when Brian Kelly announced sophomore offensive lineman Jordan Prestwood has left the team. The 6-foot-5, 295-pound tackle from Plant City, Florida was slated to back up senior left tackle Zack Martin.

“Jordan is no longer with us and I’m not able to get into the specifics about that because of privacy laws,” Kelly said.

While there was nothing definitive on the departure other than the usually ominous “personal reasons,” there’s no news yet on whether or not this is a permanent situation. If it is, it’ll cause the Irish to make some tweaks to their depth chart, and potentially force true freshman Ronnie Stanley into a stand-by role, when Kelly expected to save a year of Stanley’s eligibility.

A quick look at the depth chart at tackle has Zack Martin anchoring left tackle while Christian Lombard looks entrenched at right. Junior Tate Nichols will likely be the next man in, with sophomore Nick Martin also able to play tackle if needed, protecting the promising newcomer from needed to contribute right away.

“There are some moving parts on the offensive line where we can move some guys around,” Kelly said. “I think we’d need a couple of injuries for him to get on the field. But I don’t want to take anything away from [Stanley] because he’s been really good. A pleasant surprise.”

Prestwood was originally committed to Notre Dame before flipping to Florida State and enrolling early. After practicing with the Seminoles, Prestwood left school and transferred to Notre Dame, sitting out last season.

Photo property of the South Bend Tribune.

1. canadianndfan - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Other kid from Florida who has left the team? Girlfriend issues perhaps? Well at least ND nation has something new to blog about….Geezzzz can we just hit the fast forward button to Sept 1st please!?!?!

• canadianndfan - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

On a sadder note I heard on the podcast that Cam Roberson has been given the medical redshirt waiver ending his time as a member of the Irish football team. I was really pulling for this guy hoping he would get a chance to play…

2. kiopta1 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I heard ( rumor) that Prestwood is leaving because of classroom issues.

3. ndschwapp - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Here comes the IRISH!!!!! Ready to bash another teenager for leaving our precious program although they have no clue why personal or not wish him well and mind your business but of course 40 year old men will bash this kid and come up with all types of stories from there “trusted sources” …

• dmac4real - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Amen.

• paiten34 - Aug 12, 2012 at 5:35 AM

This sweet innocent kid has now promised to play for Notre Dame then Florida State, enrolling early only to leave and return to Notre Dame. A year later after a season lost and ineligible to play he leaves a school for a second time.

No one can say for sure why Prestwood has left but this kid must have some issues to fix in his life before he tries to play football again. Ndschwapp when a player quits on his teammates it causes big problems for the whole team. His physical tools and presents are only a small part of what each of these young men bring into a team locker room.

Ndschwapp what I’m saying is that a lot of people not only trusted him and depended on him to be there for every play. He betrayed that trust now for a second time with a second set of teammates. He deserves all the bad reports he gets.

4. irisheyesnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Go figure! These kids are all about themselves. It started with tee Shepard he left and then wanted back. BYE BYE! Then Aaron lynch wants a girlfriend instead of a degree and a possible pro career. Even though he started every game last yr as a freshman.hope that girl is worth a degree at Notre Dame and worth sitting a yr and getting rusty.. Lol! I think what really happens is he finally figured out that sec, big ten,acc, and independent schools are tough to play week in and week out and figures that he will play smaller schools and be some kind of a stand out. Good luck BYE BYE! Then u have Preston ugh! Can’t see what he would leave for but, if Kelly thinks that u should wait a yr and get bigger n better than chances are maybe u should. You can’t be mad and jump ship because u r a baby that has always got what u wanted and u finally get told to wait and back Martin up. Lol whatever have fun sitting a yr and backing someone else up!! BYE. BYE

• dmac4real - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You’re Ignorant.

5. irisheyesnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Oooops prestwood see I don’t even remember his name that’s how not important he is!!!! Lol

• ndschwapp - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

You know more about him than he knows about you stop being a troll get a life and stop bashing kids who have an opportunity to do something you only sit behind a computer and dream about

• dickasman - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

You should look in the mirror, what are you doing? You too my friend are sheening just like the rest of us. It’s unfortunate but Jordan too i guess missed the wet seal forever21 fingerblasting and I don’t blame him. I know that nd is not for everyone. It’s freaking boring as fok and chicks aren’t as loose as most guys would like them to be and you have to study. Hell, I am not sure if I would attend nd if I was18. Especially if you’re twatter friends with yuri wright and you keep reading about how many different hos he’s bagged. I guess we should stop recruiting dum dums.

This blows but what da hell are you gonna do. Twatter and Facebook are killing nd recruiting!

6. ndschwapp - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

4 thumbs down from a bunch of old guys go figure the truth hurts you ppl are so outta touch with modern football and recruiting as we say to the old crackheads and drug dealers in my neighborhood still talking about there past you Irish fans are stuck in the 80s

• dickasman - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

SchwPpy, is that all? Sht I got you beat soooon go look at mine. My goal is to one day have 69 thumbs down, not a one more not one less, I want to stop exactly at 69. That’d be sooo hott!

• 1historian - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Dickster – this is ignorant even by YOUR standards.

What’s the problem? Wanna talk about it? We’re here for you

• canadianndfan - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Outta touch with modern football & recruiting? You mean being out of touch with this generation of self absorbed spoiled prima donas who have been told all their lives that they are football Gods? Out of touch with players who wouldn’t be able to spell commitment without the aid of spell check? Well excuse me and everyone else who expects a tad bit of a higher standard….I guess I am outta touch….and damn proud of it!

7. irisheyesnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Am I talking to u? I’m American and have freedom of speech! I’m also an Irish fan not even close to fourty and am sick of watching guys jump ship bc it’s too hard to start that’s the bottom line!

8. irisheyesnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Um today is my first day on. It seems like u r a regular! So ummm I don’t think I’m the one with a life problom but either way I wish everyone the best I’m just sick of seeing this. It’s called a commitment for a reason. Hello!

9. irisheyesnate - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

If u can’t committ don’t sign papers.. If u committed to buy a car but didn’t know if u could afford it would u sign papers??? I know it’s a good question..

• dmac4real - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

10. seanb20124 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Whatever issue is, hopes he gets it worked out.

11. zice03 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If he does go, does that free up another scholarship. We could go for another lineman.

• dmac4real - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Id rather keep him., But the Johnson kid just decommited from PSU and hes bookers cousin. So if he does indeed leave that might not be a bad option to attack.

• irishbornraised - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM

woah, are you telling me there’s a 5star recruit who’s the cousin of one of our best recruiters, and this is the first i’ve heard of him???

• dmac4real - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Irishborn…

He was looking at us seriously i believe, then we looked up all 5 spots and had no more room. Im not a recruiting expert or anything, but that is what I read somewhere.

12. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Good God, the comments here make me miss Ndnation. He’s a kid. I assume you all are adults. Act like it instead internet tough guys. I expect this ish on SEC fanboards.

13. papadec - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Been gone for four weeks – the annual trek to NY to take care of mom. As usual – the more things change, the more they stay the same. We picked up two more very good looking commits (where we need help) through excellent recruiting & lost another Florida player (that we had flipped). We all need some of mom’s dementia to get past who leaves & why – and just root for the best possible results with who we have. GO IRISH!!!!!

14. irisheyesnate - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM

I like what papadec said. Ur right. I was just really disappointed to hear this..and if I didn’t care about ND u wouldn’t hear me comment at all. I guess that I wear my heart on my sleeve and if I said anything to make any other ND fans mad I appologize

15. andy44teg - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Too bad about the Prestwood kid…no matter the reason. It’s really a shame, though, about Cam Roberson. Here’s a kid who could have just given up on football after his devastating knee injury, but gave it his all and tried to make a comeback for 2 years. Just wasn’t in the cards for him. At least he gets a medical scholarship and can receive a Notre Dame education. Good luck to the both of these guys.

16. runners00 - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Who knows why the kid left? Let’s just hope that he is happy and healthy and ready for the next phase in life. ND is not a factory. We care about the kids who are fortunate enough to enroll. It’s too bad that Prestwood is leaving the football team and, perhaps, the university, but let’s allow him to do so, thank him for giving his best and wish him well.