Irish release Shamrock Series uniforms (Bedlam ensues)

Aug 16, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT

Shamrock unis

Today Brian Kelly, the assistant coaches and key veterans met with the press for Notre Dame’s official media day. But the real story wasn’t the quarterbacking debate, the coaching changes, or the ways the Irish are going to navigate the daunting 2012 schedule.

It was the Notre Dame uniform for the Shamrock Series.

For almost a week, Notre Dame and adidas teased the new uniforms, releasing a swatch of the outfit, all while debilitating a large faction of the Irish fanbase with worries that the tradition and sancity of one of college football’s most hallowed uniforms was being flushed down the toilet.

This afternoon, All-Americans Manti Te’o and Tyler Eifert unveiled the uniform that the Irish will wear in Soldier Field when they take on the Miami Hurricanes.

Here it is:

***

***

(At least I liked the music.)

In the school’s official release, head coach Brian Kelly had this to say about the new TECHFIT uniforms.

“The Shamrock Series is a great opportunity for our football program to play in an exciting venue located in an area with so many Notre Dame fans,” Kelly said in a statement. “This year’s game at Soldier Field will be part of an incredible weekend for the University in Chicago and will be a great experience for our team. The players absolutely love the uniforms designed by adidas for this game and they will help make it a memorable night.”

***

As you’d expect, the uniforms made their way around the web rather quickly today, with the verdict being mostly unanimous. And as you’d expect, the players loved the new look and are excited to wear them come October. (Everybody else? Well…)

At this point, I’d like to give a quick public service announcement:

After yesterday’s firestorm courtesy of Rick Reilly, Irish fans really need to worry about what’s important: Winning football games. If wearing flashy new uniforms once a year helps, then I think most people should hop on board and be okay with it.

Make no mistake, it’s tough to be a fan of these uniforms. They are bad looking. Period. (And that helmet… Goodness, me. That helmet is horrible looking. Come on guys.) But any fire and brimstone talk about the death of Notre Dame after looking at the Shamrock Series uniform is silly.

Notre Dame announced a once-a-year change of pace uniform, not a contract with the devil. If you feel like this kills the soul of a program or means Kelly, Jack Swarbrick and equipment manager Ryan Grooms should be looking for new jobs that puts you dangerously close to the “angry man on the front porch” phase of your fandom, and you should quickly come back to the reality of college football in 2012 before you can never make it back. Notre Dame has switched uniforms before, and done so much more often than people probably realize.

Whether or not these uniforms will be a success will be dictated by whether or not the Irish walk out of Soldier Field with a victory or not.

Until then, let’s just be happy that the players like them and that the gloves are kind of cool.

1. 9irish - Aug 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM

See now, I thought they were going to wear those for the NAVY game, which made me about to have a cow. I hate them, but it is a PR attention gainer for Miami, and even though they’re weird, I can live with it for one game. I wish they would stop messing around with reinventing the wheel
    Mike Golic went ballistic on Reilly today. I agree. I remember a good friend of mine giving me a hard time about ND not winning a nat’l championship since 88….”Well Chris how were the first 35 years of your life before Ohio State won it 2002?” We’re not behind, we’re just always expected to be way ahead. Need to get busy

Go Irish

• papadec - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Mark Schlabach had a very good response (@ espn) today to Reilly’s comments. I grew up in New York City as a Yankee fan (when the Giants & Dodgers were still there). It’s the same for both ND & the Yankees – you either love ‘em or hate ‘em. The expectations are always for a Championship team. It doesn’t always happen – but the expectations are always for a Championship.

2. seamus0317 - Aug 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM

This uniforms and especially the helmets are a disgrace and debase the Notre Dame tradition!! I’m going to this game but may now rethink it! This IS NOT Notre Dame!

• audomer - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Can you sell me your tickets?? The sky is FALLING!!!!

• dmacirish - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM

i also would be happy to take the tickets off your hands. i wouldn’t even put you through the hassle of cashing a check, you can just send them to me. please let me know if you need my address.

surprisingly this IS Notre Dame!!!! (please notice the extra exclamation points – i think they trump your meager use of a single exclamation point) the team likes them, the team is what matters. i am a fan of tradition but sometimes the traditions need to change a bit to keep intrigue. point of the matter is over the last few decades we have had a tradition of losing games and coaches – i am looking forward to that tradition changing, if this helps then i say Sláinte!! ← again notice the exclamation points

• c4evr - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

That’s a risky “if”. If execution on the field doesn’t get better, this will go down as big a misstep as New Coke. Personally, I am a big fan of fixing the engine before I put on a new coat of paint.

• runners00 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

piling on, here, but like the others, i would love to see ND at Soldier Field. And I would love to see the Irish in those uniforms.

3. joeschu - Aug 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM

OFD is having a pretty good uniform discussion, and HLS has a pitch-perfect takedown of Reilly.

It is so sad how naked “the worldwide leader” is in trying to discredit the Irish in their attempt to marginalize NBC. It as if they bust May, Chowderhead, Wilbon, and now Reilly out to ensure no one tunes away for the 6-7 weeks ND isn’t on ABC/ESPN, but then bring out the nostalgia with Dr. Lou for the 3-4 times we’re on.

I know that objectivity in the media, particularly sports media is a joke, but come on ESPN. Have at least a little pride.

• 9irish - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM

they are pretty bad about it, aren’t they? I’ve noticed that, too. Everybody wants them to fail, makes good press. Hey, we’ve had a few stinker seasons in there, but overall just average. Which is portrayed as the Titanic sinking. Just like I said above, Ohio State went 35 years without a national championship, never heard about that. ND beat USC over 10 years in a row, never heard about that, either. Kind of tired of it. Everybody is the prisoner of the electronic moment.

• joeschu - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I think it goes well beyond that 9.

“The worldwide leader” is needlessly biased AGAINST the Irish. People tuning in to an Irish home game on NBC is detrimental to their business. Fewer viewers during their game equates to lower ratings and less command of the advertising market for NCAA football.

This is different than the NFL. There is no reason for any network to blast a given NFL team because all the teams appear regularly on all the networks. However, NCAA football does have a few exclusive relationships that are aligned to networks, pitting the “balance” of coverage against their own business interests. You could successfully argue that our friends at NBC over-cover the Irish’s place in NCAA football on the other end of this spectrum.

In the end, it is just entertainment, so there’s no reason to get truly upset about it, but it is annoying for sure.

• papadec - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Right on joe – NBC has the home games. CBS has the NAVY game, & it’s @ 6:00am, here on the west coast. Probably because they want to be done broadcasting before their next broadcast game that day. Not a great time – but it will be a breakfast tailgate for me & many other loyal ND fans. ABC has MSU. Oklahoma, BC & USC are @ Times to be determined on networks yet to be announced (ABC, CBS, espn). Those other networks will gladly take whatever games they can get, because they know they will get heavy ratings.

4. mtndguy - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The uniforms are great, I like them. Why not mix it up a little, appeal to a younger generation. People that get fired up about uniforms need to take a deep breath and relax.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

My 12 yo son brought the family iPad into my office last night and was completely stoked on the uniforms. I don’t expect him to have an appreciation of the traditional uniform. So it’s interesting to see his reaction to this design. Some of our best recruits in recent years have admitted they didn’t know much about ND’s history…until they get to campus. If the uniform helps get great kids to SB, so they can gain an appreciation for the tradition…well, that’s a good thing.

5. c4evr - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I recall a bit of trivia when attending the Army ND game a couple of years back. On the bus ride to Yankee Stadium, the bus driver asked this bit of trivia, “How did the Notre Dame, Army game help win World War 2? Answer: German spies dressed as American Soldiers were infiltrating US troops and one of the questions soldiers were asked to discover their true identity was ‘what was the score of last year’s Notre Dame, Army game?” that’s how much ND transcended college athletics and represented something greater. There should be a push to preserve and protect what many have striven a century to create. I’m willing to go down the path of inevitable change, but I’d be more open if it didn’t appear to be so dismissive of ND tradition while appearing to long to fit in to a contemporary NCAA landscape that, frankly, has a shallow foundation.

6. prophetjcb - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The uniforms? Look, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve defended the idea of tweaking the uniforms once or twice a year, aimed at a younger audiences (and recruits). And I was actually looking forward to seeing what they could come up with. But they came up with garbage. All this proves is that adidas cannot keep up with Nike and Under Armour. I just can’t get over that helmet. I feel like asking, “This is the best you can do?” Now, instead of looking cool, we look like we are TRYING to look cool. Big difference, and not a good one.

Moving on… Of course Reilly’s comments were deliberately and unnecessarily offensive. He’s desperate to remain relevant. What better way to do that than betray his once favorite team, and lash out at a huge and loyal fan base? And have his story emailed and retweeted by Michigan fans and USC fans across the country? As Rick obviously knows, the reason NBC has a contract with ND, the reason we get invited to bowl games, the reason we get treated like royalty is RATINGS. The same ratings he’s hoping to get by writing a negative column about us. In spite of the mediocrity, people still watch. People still care. ND has a national audience that Boise State doesn’t. Many teams have fervent local or regional fan bases, but no team has a better national following. Whether or not anyone thinks it is fair or right is completely irrelevant. It is a fact, and the advertisers and media interest follow.

A close second to the national following is the national resentment of other fan bases… so Rick is pathetically trying to tap into this. But for all our years of so-so teams, beating us is still a big deal. So NBC and others even win out on that negative interest. Still relevant.

Notre Dame should do everything it can to maintain and grow that unique national audience, because when it begins to diminish, we will lose all those perks and “royal treatment” eventually. And nothing would help keep the mystique like winning. But every other decision – alternate uniforms, joining a conference, field turf, jumbotrons – should be made based on keeping that national audience. Whatever combination of old and new – plus a lot of WINNING – will continue to generate fans far beyond South Bend.

Conspiracy theorists about ESPN need to lighten up. Not only did Golic vigorously defend on radio, but they have Holtz as part ofthe team. Holtz and May debating ND keeps us right there in everyone’s mind. And Colin Cowherd has said on radio (in a line often replayed in advertising to get us to tune in) that if ND ever wins 10-11 games on a regular basis again, we will be the biggest and most popular school in the country, bar none. So we get plenty of positive play on ESPN.

What we all should know by now is that every mediocre season is not only frustrating to us all…. but it threatens all of this. We are running on the fumes of interest from older generations… every year we aren’t really competing, we are losing fans… So go with Nike, make some shrewd moves regarding conference (or not), recruit the hell out of the country, keep all the best parts of our tradition (the substantive ones that really matter), and most of all…. win on the field.

• papadec - Aug 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

prophet – you make many good points. However, I disagree with your point regarding “running on fumes of interest from older generations.” Many of the recruits cite the tradition as one of the reasons why they consider and/or commit to ND. My children, and my brother’s children, are of the current generation. I’m sure this is true of many other ND families as well – as evidenced by the number of young children I see on campus on game day. I believe the fan base is growing. Look at how hard it is to get tickets to a game.

• 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Prophet’s remark “running on fumes of interest from older generations” hurts (and it should) because it is true. I can remember 1966, 1973, 1977 and 1988. Nothing since.

I was overseas in the Navy in 1966 and I can remember listening to the USC game on a short-wave while working the night shift -10:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
        51 – nada. Outstanding. Fabulous. 2 years later I can remember the game in November when it started to snow and the chant arose “Ara stop the snow.”

I was at ND in 1961 and there was a guy across the hall named Dave Clements from McKees Rocks Pa. and he would tell us about his little brother Tommy who was such a promising QB. Fast forward to the 1973 game against Alabama and that fabulous pass to the TE that won the game and the National Championship.

1977 against SC when they changed shirts. Now it’s just a stunt to make money.

1988 – in the Cotton Bowl the year before Texas A&M kicked our ass and ruined what had once been a promising season. There was a fight during the game and one of the A&M players stole Tim Brown’s towel and came off the field brandishing it. Our answer came the next year.

1986 – Lou’s 1st season and that fabulous win against SC in LA that the old farts like me STILL remember. That game said that ND is BACK. And EVERYBODY knew it.

We haven’t seen a game like that in years. This team HAS to have a game like that. Oklahoma will do nicely.

Other teams not only don’t fear us any more, they don’t even respect us. THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

• ndfaithful - Aug 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I think historian’s dead wrong and discounting great moments remembered by Notre Dame fans and the larger CFB fanbase as well.

We didn’t win as many in the last few years, but the moments were stil big and great. Yes – we need to wake up some echos, but Notre Dame is far from running on fumes.

Our tickets are among the hardest to get. Great players still come to Notre Dame. Young men still want to be great and return the program to glory. The challenge is greater than ever, but fumes and vapor and distant memories – no.

Who couldn’t feel greatness approaching up until the ‘Bush Push’ (now we know they cheated everyone, not just ND). Who didn’t think the growing rivalries with Michigan State and Michigan didn’t matter?

Great moments are just moments away and we’re not lacking opportunity or talent to make them. It’s a new season and the things that make Notre Dame great are still present.

Sadly – i think 1Historian’s glass is just half empty today. Mine is at least 1/2 full.

• 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Well said.

Thanks

7. 1historian - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

MONEY

8. 1historian - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

“The players mostly loved them.”

Right

How many players on the team do you believe REALLY have the cojones to say what they REALLY think? Notre Dame does NOT like it when players step out of line, and this is clearly one of those “keep your mouth shut and say you love it” moments.

The uniforms are hideous. The helmets are hideous.

FYI – I am 68 years old and will soon be 69.

Keith – you let us down. You wrote this like you are quoting a University press release.

BUT

They will bring in more money

Q.E.D.

• nudeman - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

1histy
      Well done
      We don’t see a lot of Latin thrown around here
      Q.E.D. my man

• 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Glad you noticed. I went to a Jesuit High School and my favorite course of all time was a course in plane geometry and every day we would prove a theorem and at the end we would say – Q.E.D. Most of the other guys hated the course but I loved it and every now and then the instructor, a Jesuit Scholastic, would look at me as if it were a private joke between us, which in a way it was.

And the uniforms are STILL hideous.

And they will sell like hotcakes and more (and more and more and more) money will change hands and therefore I say again – Q.E.D.

OMT – Tom Clancy graduated from the same place 4 years later.

• ndfaithful - Aug 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

This is a stupid concept that you haters seem to miss:
        – “And the uniforms are STILL hideous. And they will sell like hotcakes…”

When’s the last time hideous was a big seller? Maybe you’re just on a different side of the personal preference line. Many like them. You just don’t.

9. bernhtp - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I understand that to complete the look, Notre Dame is also giving Our Lady atop the dome the two-tone Braveheart (William Wallace) paint job. The kids will love it.

10. nudeman - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Seriously … get another post up here Keith
    This uniform thing has beensliced, diced, and beaten to death
    Some like it/some don’t/some don’t care.

• nudeman - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I cannot begin to tell you how much I regret checking the box “Notify me of replies” for this thread

• c4evr - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Sorry nude, but a lot of us are still stuck in the Denial stage of the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle and are having to verbally process our way past anger to acceptance.

11. tjak2 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

dickass, your rant was awesome. What a turn of phrase. Cheers.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Even I have to admit that there’s been an uptick in the quality of Mr. Asman’s posts. I would’ve bet real money that he had no idea who Thoreau was.

12. krups06 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Kudos to Mark Schlabach for giving an objective rebuttal to Reilly’s garbage. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview12/story/_/id/8276691/college-football-notre-dame-fighting-irish-resonate-world).

What upsets me the most about Reilly’s vitriol is a legitimate debate, at least when it comes to the BCS arguments. I’m willing to admit that, even as an Irish fan. But a “professional” journalist employed by the premier sports network in this country has an obligation to ask those questions in a manner that isn’t laced with cheap shots, propaganda, and insults.

All we saw was a cheap headline grab by a little man who needs a new contract.

• glowplugv - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM

We all should be thankful for the leadership that Jack Swarbrick has shown. In the recent BCS negotiations leading to the playoff design, he clearly was shown to be a unifying force. No beating the ND drum, just solid, logical leadership while representing ND. If we had any lesser AD, ND would have been out in the cold.

• glowplugv - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM

BTW, Schlabach’s article summarized ND position nicely. Nice find.

• 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I stopped reading anything by Reilly years ago.

Lucky me

As they say at Staples – “That was easy.”

13. bigjdeezy - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I for one like the new uniforms it’s a change of pace and won’t take away from the mystic that is Notre Dame football
    Now for all of you cry baby’s talking about not watching the game or selling your tickets need to grow up!
    Adidas is helping Notre Dame target 17 & 18 year old kids with these new uni’s not your old stuffy stuck in the past self!
    Relax ND hasn’t changed it’s still the great university and football team, but a true fan would support the team no matter what they wear! I would cheer on the Irish even if they wore orange helmets with brown jerseys!
    Real ND fans stand up!

14. runners00 - Aug 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The university is on the right track. Really. I think, for one game, it’s nice to have the kids go out there and play in different uniforms and in a different environment. And that is what is happening. These uniforms are nice.

They will be much, much nicer once we start blowing out teams. When you have someone down the way that we had Michigan down 24-7 at the start of the 4th Q, you put your foot to their throat and you blow them out.

That is what we need to do against every opponent this year. We have to move the football, preserve the football and take the football.

15. dsoffer - Aug 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Ok, so let’s forget the uniforms for a second and have a real discussion about what this is all about tradition vs modern.

I’ll say I am of the young generation, but one that is extremely appreciative of tradition and I strongly believe in keeping traditions. WE as ND fans/alumni need to figure out what matters most to the base as too often this base is divided on the topic with little middle ground.

Too often we yell and scream about preserving tradition and not wanting to change things. If that’s the case then we need to be happy with 8 win or 9 win seasons as the mark of success. Football, NCAA and sports as a whole aren’t what they used to be. Money, Glamor have taken over sports whether we like it or not. Ask recruits what are the things that matter most to them? You think 5 star recruits will be totally sold on tradition only? There has to be more to the pitch and more to the presentation and experience. As times change, adaptation is needed to continue to stay on top. For myself, success means BCS, chance at a title and top 15 contender annually or bi-annually. However as things get modernized ND and the base has to make a choice going forward. Is Tradition more important? Is a BCS title more important? Or can the two be mixed to some degree to make it work?

What I am getting at is, if they change uniforms once a year, build a modern scoreboard to increase the home field advantage and maybe tinker with grass vs turf but maintain the stadium, maintain the academic requirement, maintain game day traditions, are we really killing Notre Dame and what it stands for? Or are we adjusting to the times while keeping what matters most in tact.

When our AD is disgusted that teams want to play at ND because it’s “fun and a great place to play” isn’t that a problem for a team wanting to compete for a title??? This is football, we should have a home advantage and no team should be happy and giddy to be on the road facing our team. Fans who want the status quo should stop complaining about titles and BCS and be happy with the 8-9 wins as that is the times we are in. Teams like Stanford have proven, you can maintain the academic and core traditions, while adapting and forming a team that can win on the big stage. So why can’t we do the same?

I say mix in the changes, target the top recruits who qualify academically and create a more exciting place for them to play and for us to go and protect our turf. The results will soon follow suit and the wins and rankings will follow soon enough.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!

• 9irish - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Good points. I’m kind of on the fence. Some schools do LSD influenced uniforms to draw attention (Maryland), we don’t need that. But other big schools go weirdo once a year, too, so a sign of the times I guess. Looking back now, I think I would prefer going retro like in the Michigan game than I would these….but I’m not all up in arms about it.

As far as the stadium, I wouldn’t mind seeing it upgraded, just a question of how to do it. I lived in Ann Arbor for 3 years, it seemed like the stadium was in a constant state of being changed. (They have serious water table problems with the turf….and are always adding more seats)

Still hard to believe that it wasn’t all that long ago that ND stadium was teeny-tiny.

16. nchdomer - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The uniforms remind me of the Maryland uniforms, without the State flag theme. Once-in-awhile change is not terrible. I prefer the traditional uniforms with the traditional helmet. However, this seems to be the new direction. And make no mistake, this is about jersey sales and little more. I agree with the commentator that the players will say what they are supposed to say. However, if this is limited to once a year instead of the rotating uniforms of last year, it won’t be too bad. I just think it is funny that our uniforms now emulate those of schools that have little or no tradition of having a winning football program, which schools are trying to use the uniforms as a recruiting tool to improve on their won-loss record. Of course, our tradition of winning has taken a severe hit since the days of Ara, Dan and Lou. Maybe we need to do this too (not really).

17. 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I think the uniforms are hideous but I have said that enough times. What bothers me about this is that it is a prime example of the corporate aspect of N.D., which is NEVER far away – coming out.

CONFORM CONFORM CONFORM. Makes me sick.

The best example is Kelly’s saying that the whole team loves the uniforms.

85 young guys between the ages of 17-21 ALL agree that the uniforms are great?

Right

I remember when I was in boot camp our Company Commander once said “when I say ‘shit’ I want you to say where when and what color’?”

Nonconformity is not encouraged on the football team when there is SO MUCH MONEY AT STAKE.

If they would just go out some Saturday and kick some high ranked teams’ ass I would be a lot happier, but that doesn’t seem too likely

FYI – I still love the place

18. 1historian - Aug 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I have a feeling that the guys who don’t have their own memory of an ND National Championship season envy us who do. And that is sad, because these memories are great and they get better every year.

(One of the many benefits of being an old fart)

You don’t have to be there while it is happening, although I would imagine that that does make it a little sweeter, but if there is someone out there who graduated from the place (Which I still love) 2 years ago and suddenly they catch fire and run the table and you can only sit in front of your TV and watch it (could happen) it’s still special.

• 9irish - Aug 18, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Oh, I agree, it’s out there, I think. 88 was a special year, but everybody forgets that they came close to winning 2 or 3 AFTER that! They can turn this corner at anytime. I will fully enjoy the shock of people when Notre Dame just starts routinely thumping people all the time.

19. irish4me - Aug 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

All this nonsense over some uniforms. Who are we rooting for, the team or the uniforms? As far as ’88 being our last championship, I consider ’93 to be our last championship. We beat Florida State head to head in next to last game of the season and then both end up with one loss and they get the crown – get real. ND champs 1993 !!!

• 9irish - Aug 19, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Don’t get me started about 1993. If the situations were reversed with FSU and the Irish had been given the title, you would’ve seen a revolt in the sports world. Still makes me cringe. Got screwed out of one in 1990, too.

20. irisheyesnate - Aug 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

For just starting to change in the last couple of yrs these uniforms are not bad!! I understand that we all want tradition and we don’t like change when it comes to ND FOOTBALL but, these uniforms are pretty awsome! U have the gold and blue.. With the 1/3 side of the helmet being dark blue with flake in it and our Irish in it.. To our twisted gold on the other 2/3 of helmet it reps NOTRE DAME PRETTY DAMN WELL! Hey, we are new to this but if we had to pick putting on a Michigan teeshirt for a day or wearing this entire uniform around for a month I’m sure everyone would wear our boys colors with pride!!! I just think that for NOTRE DAME to start changing like this for a game every yr I’m very happy with what I see so far!

21. mtflsmitty - Aug 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

22. seamus0317 - Aug 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM

They have debased the greatest tradition in college football -the Gold helmet! It’s all about the dollar in South Bend these days!!!!!!! Makes me want to puke!

• don74 - Aug 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Seamus,

It’s always been about the almighty dollar.

I took my wife to her first ND game 3 years ago. She is not a FB fan and knows little about any college team. Walking around campus she asks what are the school colors? I am just short of screaming but answer blue and gold. She than points out all the fans are wearing ND shirts of different colors and the SC fans are wearing crimson.

I take her to the bookstore. Being a marketing person she understood. We cherish the “tradition” but it has always been about the buck.

When the program gets too big the administration tightens the reigns. Team starts to lose. When the losing hurts donations the administration loosens things.

The losing went longer than anticipated…..O’Leary hurt the program bif time.

With all that’s going on in CFB our administration wants to protect the brand.

We will win because they want to. That’s the tradition…

For me, the only traditions i care about..
      we play a tough national schedule
      a four year scholly is a four year scholly (Carrico and Cam Roberson)
      we play Navy every year because Navy was instrumental in saving the University
      no athletic dorms
      most guys graduate with a meaningful education

I don’t care about the uni’s, the field, jumbotron…………………..

I think the uni’s are ugly but I do think there needs to be change.

23. flyeredup - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Notre Dame hasn’t been relevant for 20+ years. They are the NFL’s version of the Jets. Media champions, nothing more. We want fish sticks!

24. goirish5 - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Why don’t THEY worry about winning football games instead of their uniforms, it’s unbelieveable we havn’t won a championship since 1988, who gives a crap about the uniforms. who are we Oregon?????