Lo Wood suffers season-ending Achilles injury

Aug 20, 2012, 10:06 PM EST

lo-wood-full

Notre Dame’s untested secondary just suffered a major blow this afternoon when Lo Wood, the presumed starter across from Bennett Jackson, suffered a major Achilles tendon injury and will likely be lost for the season.

Wood was lauded by Brian Kelly last week for the great work he’s done during this preseason camp and was going to be counted on to play significant minutes in a secondary that needed to replace three out of four starters.

Injuries have already hurt the secondary, with key contributor Austin Collinsworth likely lost for the majority of the season with a labrum tear. Now Wood, who saw playing time last season and reported to camp bigger, stronger, and faster, will likely miss the season as well.

The injury likely pushes Josh Atkinson into the starting field corner job, a move that many Irish fans assumed would happen during the offseason. Yet Wood had held off Atkinson for much of camp, one of the top surprises of the offseason.

Depth at cornerback is thin and untested for the Irish defense. While Jackson is expected to play well, he’ll be starting his first game during the opener. Atkinson saw playing time last season mostly on special teams.  Sophomore Jalen Brown is untested and sat out last season. Cam McDaniel spent the spring transitioning from offense to cornerback to fill in the depth chart and took snaps as a running back just last week. True freshmen KeiVarae Russell and Elijah Shumate both moved to corner during preseason camp, learning on the fly.

Wood will likely redshirt this season, having two seasons of eligibility remaining. Brian Kelly meets with the media tomorrow at noon, where we’ll find out more.

1. dickasman - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

We were screwed before but we are really screwed now!!! WHYYYY WHYYY(Nancy Kerrigan). Another 8-5 season, hell maybe 7-6 even, here weeee goooo! Got dang it, boys, let’s at the least upset couple teams this year.

If there is a god, he will let one of the youngins steo in and be a solid contributor this year. Sht, I’m off to pop my Xanax and dust off the rosary again.

• bernhtp - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dick, I feel for you. This does really suck – for Lo, the team, and us.

I agree. Time for the youngins to step in and step up. Next man in.

• clannahaw - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

whereas nudeman has an agenda that he pushes, at least he is good for a rational thought and a good joke..

you on the other hand, I don’t know what sort of novelty account you are going for, but it isn’t very entertaining

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

No agenda, zero, zilch…just a huge nd football fan. I put my depends on one leg at a time just like you.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

clannahaw
        I appreciate the “rational thought/good joke” comment, but what exactly is my “agenda”?
        I don’t have one, to my knowledge, except yakking about ND football

• clannahaw - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It wasn’t meant as a pejorative, but you definitely have tried to sway a few opinions regarding the quarterbacking skills of Tommy Rees.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Fair enough

But there was/is no preconceived “agenda”. And I wasn’t really trying to “sway” anyone’s opinion.
        He played lousy football, I commented on it (1,285 times) and now BK apparently agrees.

Wait a minute, you don’t think? … NAH.
        Never mind

2. yllibnosredna - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Sh.t! Note to Brian Kelly: Reel in two more pure cover corners this recruiting haul. Absolutely cannot afford to whiff in this department this time around. Guarantee Mackenzie Alexander he will start every game of his career at ND if he commits now. How hard of a sell can it be considering the dearth of quality corners on this team?! Well, for what it’s worth, this primarily hurts from a depth standpoint (Critical, nonetheless)…Did not lose a critical play-maker in the secondary; however, just like seemingly every other pre-season injury thus far, this continues to significantly hurt the overall depth on the roster in apparently vulnerable position groupings. We will soon find out how critical these losses will be.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM

In case you haven’t noticed CBs and WRs seem to shun South Bend like the plague
      My theory is this, in all seriousness: CB and WR are, in the NFL the #1 and #2 Diva positions
      Think Plaxico, Deieon, Reavis (sp?), Ocho, Michael Irvin, Moss, etc
      NCAA think Honey Badger and that clown from USC who gets personal fouls every 5 min
      Think Darby, Greenberry and all the other top recruits who’ve recently said “No thanks” to ND

That has trickled all the way down now to HS football, where everybody wants to be the guy who catches the quick slant and takes it 77 yards to the house.
      Or step in front of a sideline route and prance Deieon style into the end zone.

So, quite simply, Divas don’t dig that classroom stuff
      Too time consuming and no real purpose.
      They gonna’ be beasts, playuhs, and “workin'” on Sundays
      Don’t need no academics

Thus … ND loses out on them

• jrct2450yahoo - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Nude, I couldn’t agree with you more. This is one of the main reasons I think it is highly unlikely the Irish will ever again win a national title. The landscape has changed that much. I hope I am wrong; time will tell…..

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Nude you need a fact check,

Moss was recruited and attended Notre Dame. Lou Holtz kicked him off the team because of character issues. Plaxico went Michigan State, Big Ten schools don’t skimp on academics that is why they are considered a good fit if ND every joined a conference. The Honey Badger is in rehab so who cares what he does. Michael Irvin went to Miami when ND and Miami were powerhouses in college football. Darelle Revis went to Pitt and was drafted in 2007 during the Weis years. Charlie gave up recruiting a kid once they committed so he most likely never say what ND had to offer. So rewrite the post so it makes sense.

• dillonbigred - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Yes! After reading about Tee’s tweets this morning, I pulled them up ( how pathetic is my life?) I am surprised that a kid like this was even at Notre Dame. Not a good fit, not a fit at all.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

gtizzo
        My “Diva observation” has zero to do with where they went to school, who recruited them or anything else except what they’ve become and how they conduct themselves on and off the field.

Diva = thinks they deserve special treatment, put their interests above and beyond the team, work hard to “brand” themselves as great football players when all they’ve really done is have a good year or two and ultimately become a divisive and negative influence

Terrell Owens is the poster child, followed by all the guys I mentioned, plus a dozen others.
        And all are WRs and CBs.

Why are these two positions so loaded with Divas? My opinion is that now that the NFL is so pass happy, more than ever they are the ones making the highlight reels and they don’t have to worry about messing up their hair and do-rags with contact every play.

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Ok.

3. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Uh-oh.

4. jomilly - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

straight to the point. One lo woods as to this part of his career hasnt been impressive. He did return one for a td, but so what. I will agree he has got great reports this preseason etc… So, Im on board with the fact that this isnt awesome. But here is my point. Right now we have a chance to see our coaches. they have moved wr/ rb to secondary, hasnt necessarily made sense some has, but let see if our coaches know more then us. And yes I hope they do. Spencer, Russell, etc… next man in, its time to see you prove our coaching personel changes. I give hope to the coaches, as I wait to see.

• obie1818 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I’m with ya jomilly, I did hear great things from camp about Lo. But what I always saw was him gettin smoked and missing tackles. Let’s put some speed at corner whoever it is. I still have nightmares about Robert Woods he looked like he was running routes by himself last yr …..

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I hate to break it to ya but Atkinson has been getting burned left and right as well.

5. jpwills19 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I’d be curious to see what Tee Shepard and Ronald Darby think when they see this. First word that comes to mind is “oops.”

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Tee might have some heartburn
      Darby on the other hand never was serious about ND. So he won’t even know or care

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM

They re probably way too busy fingerblastin to be worried let alone care.

6. joeschu - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I feel terrible for a great guy with a fantastic family (I sat by them at the Utah game in ’10).

I presume the Cam McDaniel cross-training experiment is now over. He’s got to go back to CB full-time again.

7. don74 - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Can Neal play corner?

• clannahaw - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Don’t know if you’re local, but the sportsbeat radio show (google sportsbeat 960) has been singing the praises of KeiVarae Russel. They have enough depth at safety that they can move slaughter into more of a cover role if necessary as well. They also felt comfortable enough with the CB depth to have Cam McDaniel to split reps with RB.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Neal was actually a shut down CB in HS.
      Easily could play there, and probably play pretty well. But at this point, with the season only 10 days away, don’t think it’s gonna’ happen.

8. andy44teg - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Has anyone else seen what Tee Shephard has been tweeting about?? What is this guy’s problem???

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Now what?

• don74 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

He was tweeting yesterday that he doesnt know why he was sent home. A reporter got to him and he spoke. the reference to the post was on twitter last night. Tyler James linked it. The gist of it is he was never eligible for school.. If he would have aited till after high school graduation he would have been ok. I inferred the coaches and took a chance and while not said I think they got their hands slapped. Most likely why when asked if he could come back BK said “that ship has sailed”. No medical issue, no discipline issue.

• ibleedirish - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

One only needs to follow this kid for about half a day on twitter to discover that he is….um….more than a little strange. Tweet content-wise, and shear lack of grammar, spelling etc., it is rather difficult to imagine that he was EVER considered a good fit for Notre Dame. Endless tweets in the wee hours of the morning both during his time at ND and presently are less than impressive.

Lately though, he is claiming that ND sent him home, it wasn’t his choice, it wasn’t academic related, it had nothing to do with the NCAA and that he didn’t get in trouble…..so apparently ND just didn’t like him?

With only two scholarship corners on the team, logic obviously dictates that something more substantial happend. In the end, its a pretty sad situation for young Shephard (whom I predict will never play college ball), but something tells me even with the corner position looking as thin as it does, ND is much better off without him.

• ibleedirish - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

….not to mention the fact that as talented as he is he hasn’t been picked up by any other school. That alone speaks volumes.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Once the sh** hit the fan last Spring, I grew to dislike him – and his handlers – immensely.
        They tried to claim it was a medical issue, which made zero sense.

Had a medical issue that can only be resolved in Fresno. Seriously?

Then it was a mix up on his SATs, or some such garbage.

Now he’s blaming ND.

Kid badly needs to realize he’s not a celebrity and at this point not isn’t even a football player. Hasn’t played in 2 years and sounds like he isn’t playing this year either.

Go to school – somewhere – grow up, learn something and get a job. And leave me alone.

9. gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Keith,

Jalen Brown is “untested”? Maybe he has seen the field. What I read about the kid is he had the dubious honor of having to cover Michael Floyd in practice. I can think of no better test thoughts?

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

When he was a freshman.

10. loadofwash - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM

He couldn’t have helped that dismal group anyway

11. irisheyesnate - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Tee Shepard is a girl who couldn’t cut it at ND he’s just mad bc Kelly said the ship has sailed and he knows he messed up… Quit hatin ! WE WILL BE OK KELLY IS A SMART GUY HE WILL PUT THE RIGHT FIT AT CORNER EVEN IF HE IS A FRESHMAN.. HE DOES WHAT HE HAS TO IN ORDER TO WIN GAMES! Go Irish !!!!!!!

12. loadofwash - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Kelly is doomed to be just another in the last 25 years of who cares football.