Announced or not: Golson is the man for the job

Aug 21, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT

Everett Golson

With classes at Notre Dame started and preparation for Navy underway, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly will meet with the assembled meeting for his weekly Tuesday press conference at noon. And while there’s no indication that he’s ready to name a signal-caller for the season opener against the Midshipmen, it’s time to give up the worst kept secret in South Bend: Everett Golson is going to be the starting quarterback.

The talented sophomore has been locked in a camp battle with junior Andrew Hendrix, who worked his way into the rotation last season at quarterback as Tommy Rees struggled down the stretch. But Golson, who sat out last season and saved a year of eligibility, has captivated Kelly with his skill-set, and answered many of the questions the head coach had about his maturity and ability to lead a football team, prerequisites for the quarterback that’ll likely determine Brian Kelly’s fate as the head of the Fighting Irish.

Golson’s redshirt season was one spent adjusting to the college game and the academic rigors of Notre Dame. It was also a season where the young talent needed a healthy dose of humility. Eric Hansen, in the Sunday edition of the South Bend Tribune, wonderfully encapsulates Golson’s freshmen struggles, where is lack of attention to schoolwork and the playbook cost him a chance to contribute last season.

Midway through the 2011 season, Golson and Hendrix were competing for a minor role in the Irish offense — the change-up quarterback.

It was a concept Kelly began toying with, at least in the meeting room, the previous spring after talking to Urban Meyer, who tag-teamed then-freshman Tim Tebow with senior Chris Leak in a national title run at Florida in 2006. But Kelly was slow to employ the concept in a game in the fall of ’11, and had a tough time separating Hendrix and Golson as the top candidate for that role — until Golson sort of did it for him at midseason.

He began to struggle in the classroom, more of a sign of lack of maturity than anything else, and his attention to detail when it came to being on time and focused for meetings, for example, was far from perfect.

“I can admit I wasn’t the best at that,” he said.

Golson then was demoted to scout team for the remainder of the season. His job, at that point, was to learn the opposing team’s plays and run their offenses in practice against ND’s No. 1 defense. The decline, though, started to gain traction all the way back in August training camp in 2011.

“I thought I was ready to compete for the starting spot,” said Golson, the sixth-most prolific TD thrower in U.S. high school history. “Going through fall camp, I kind of saw my reps go down a little bit. I was a little bit discouraged at first.

“It kind of humbled me. Now, that I look back at it, I’m glad I went down to the scout team, ’cause it made me realize I have to start at ground zero and work my way back up.”

The way back up included a breakthrough performance in the annual Blue-Gold Game, where Golson was the most impressive of the four quarterbacks and seemed to show a solid mastery of the offense while also flashing his prodigious physical gifts. But up until that final televised practice of spring, Golson quietly struggled with his role at Notre Dame, so much so that one source tells me he considered transferring for much of the offseason until that performance.

Those concerns are in the past now, with Golson’s work and commitment to football this summer getting him up to speed with the offense. (Also fortuitous to his candidacy was the offseason arrest of incumbent quarterback Tommy Rees, allowing Kelly and offensive coordinator Chuck Martin the ability to hit the hard reset after two seasons in South Bend.) That commitment has shown during training camp, where Golson has slowly taking control of the position battle.

Kelly has done his best to stay mum about his quarterback choice — whether it be for strategic advantage or because he’s not ready to make the decision. Yet clues all around the program point to Golson. Whether it’s teammates past and present raving about his athleticism, in-depth profiles like the one Hansen wrote, or the mobs of media surrounding the sophomore at Media Day, if it’s not announced today it’s only a matter of time before the Irish are led by Golson when they step onto the field at Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The announcement would be the culmination of ND Nation’s hopes for the young quarterback with dynamic running and passing ability. It will also be the cherry on top of a really impressive fall camp where Golson played his way into the role of starting quarterback.

“We’ve had 126 throwing opportunities with Everett,” Kelly recounted last week, talking about the live 11 on 11 passing snaps for the young quarterback. “He’s had one interception. You build trust. You don’t just give it, you build trust.”

1. jrct2450yahoo - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

How big is Golson?

• chicagoirish23 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I don’t care how big he is, I care how big he plays.

• cameronemclaughlin - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM

He’s as tall as Drew Brees, but he has less body fat and is much faster and quicker.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I am not 100% positive but he’s gotta be at least a 9 incher. I rounded up cuz he’s a nd guy.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM

LOFL

• don74 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Same as Nude! Still laughing.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I don’t always laugh
        But when I do … it’s usually because of something RichardAsman wrote.

– themostinterestingmanintheworld
        8/2012

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM

sophomore humor? I thought you clowns had graduated

• dickasman - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Almost I’m junior now. Im trying to graduate but they keep flunking me in my African American studies classes and I need it to graduate.

• dickasman - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Nude, good guess but I’m not Mexican.

• nudeman - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM

“Once, I ran a marathon … just because it was on my way”

• runners00 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It’s a relevant question. Yahoo! lists him six feet tall and 185 lbs. He’s going to have to deal w/ much bigger men on the defensive line. But word on the street is that he is v. quick and has a great arm and seems to be very patient. Those are the kinds of qualities we need in a quarterback.

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I will put an end to the size debate right here and now. First Drew Brees is a good example, Michael Vick isn’t much bigger then six feet. Want a college example? I give you Chase Daniel at Missouri. He was also about six feet. Hey don’t knock the choice he was 4th in Heisman voting in 2007. His career completion percent was 68 percent. He also threw 101 TD versus only 41 INT. He threw for more then 4000 yards in two season, combine with 30 or more touchdowns. Golson throws for more then 4000 yards in a year with 30 touchdowns and less then 19 INT and completion percent 60 or above at ND…HE WINS THE HEISMAN!

2. kiopta1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I just want wins and I want to stick with one QB throughout the season. I am not a fan of switching out QBs unless they collapse or are injured. If EG is our guy then I am solidly behind him. GO ND!

3. nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Tommy should start
    Checks us out of bad plays; gives is the best chance to win

Damn
    There goes my raison d’etre

• Jennifer - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Live on, Nude, Live on!

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Get a room Jen, get a room!

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM

WOWWWWW … You can’t be serious? Check us out of bad plays? He makes most of them.

At least Golson can run for gains during broken plays, keeps the LB’s at bay and provides the option to a full playbook, you have to be careful with Rees with everything that you ask him to do.

I would say 1 INT in 126 11on11 attempts is a great sign of a stable leader in Golson.

3 seasons, 3 different starting QB’s …Kelly has to get it right, one of the hardest schedules in the nation, he knows Golson is the best option …. the defense should be solid.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Do you not understand sarcasm? Like, at all?

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ha, sure I do … but I’m sick or sarcasm … sick of losing … sick of having to joke about ND to ease the pain of being an underachieving school. Sick of new coaches, new regimes, new recruits and same results … sick of losing to USC …. Tulsa’s of the world and being murdered on ESPN.

Kellly needs to have a big year, far as I’m concerned 8 wins and a bunch of fancy speeches and red faces shouldn’t keep him around again. Weis had more success. ouch.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Amen to the first paragraph.

Then the second paragraph. You just completely contradicted yourself. You are sick of all those things, but then you want to fire kelly after only THREE seasons and just start the process all over again. Are you kidding me? Are you aware that if we win 8 games this year it will be the first time in 18 years we have strung together 3 8 win seasons? You just want to throw away the stability thats starting to get built after just three seasons. Give him 5 years at the minimum. What other option does ND really have?

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

808 I was watching the same Espn show and just figured out why parcells called joey galloway a “she”. Once again proving that he’s a genius.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

SORRY GUYS MY UNDERSTANDING IS 8 WINS a SEASON ARE WAY UNDER EXPECTATIONS FOR NOTRE DAME.

IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH 8 WIN SEASONS THATS TROUBLING.

3 different starting opening day QB’s …. STABILITY? He wiped his a$$ with Dayne Crist after one bad half.

The red faced tyrant better get this team to 10 wins.

• ndfaithful - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM

you guys all need therapy.

• bernhtp - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

You forgot Tommy’s experience, his record for games he starts, the fact that he’s a gamer, his mastery of the playbook, and the fact that it takes both a cabby and cop to bring him down.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yes, and he’s a coach’s son and (the best of all) a good game manager.
        We need Tommy to win

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM

(Just not playing QB)

• danirish - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Maybe Rees can punt?

• mayo1010 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

dickasman….Parcells called Terry Glenn a “SHE”!

• dickasman - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Joey n terry were on the same “team”. Wow parcells was way ahead of the game. How did he know they were both gay? Pure genius that guy

4. Jennifer - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

There’s a famous Irish saying, “If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough.” Golson starts. Confirmed. I’m wearing Kelly Green today!

• ibleedirish - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Confirmed? For real?

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Bleeder, it doesn’t take a Tyron Matthieu to figure this out. Who else? He should just announce it already and start game planning. He’s not doing the team any favors by waiting til last minute, it’s not like we got ace in the hole. Only ace in the hole we be got is a hemorrhoid.

5. oldestguard - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Can’t wait for the first broken play, and 80,000 yellling – GO !!!

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I would have thought the same thing…until I watch the video. While in high school when Golson had to move his eyes were normally down field. Something tells me he throws for more TDs then he runs. Just a thought…I’m happy either way.

6. fnc111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

EG will likely have as many fumbles as TR had interceptions. At least we can watch Crist play this season.

• bernhtp - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Golson’s inexperience might lead to a comparable number of QB turnovers, but I bet we get WAY more big plays out of him.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Oh my gosh. Get over Crist. He was 4-5 when he got hurt, and then came back and played horrible against USF, then fumbled his last chance away vs USC. Good guy im sure, probably will do well in Kansas, had no future at QB at ND. Move on already…

7. joeschu - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Well written Keith. The BK quote at the end is really the money shot in this debate.

8. ndnphx - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I can accept growing pains if, in fact, we’re growing. Golson sure looks like the guy to lead the offense to another level.

9. yaketyyacc - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

getting close to game one. we were so confident last year with Crist, and then with Rees, and then with Hendrix, and then with Rees or Crist.
    So now it is GOLSON! and it is. may I fast forward(a no no I know). to the Michigan game. Denard Robinson, looking at the field tv, remarking to a fellow player: look, they are running some of my past touchdown runs and touchdown passes.” No, Denard, that’t now and that’s the NOtre Dame quarterback, GOLSON. NOtice that he runs faster, and passes more accuately. and he does!

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

“we were so confident last year with Crist”

YOU were confident with Crist. I said about a year before that he looks like a deer in the headlights. From all accounts he is a fine young man but the QB for ND he was NOT.

Because this silly debate is STILL going on and Kelly has STILL not made his choice tells me that whomever he picks – he doesn’t have a whole lot of faith in him.

And that is not good

• nudeman - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Disagree.
        He knows who the QB will be. The QBs know. The team knows.
        Why not make them keep grinding and competing for another week?
        Announcing now, while offering us some short term gratification, is essentially meaningless

10. mikey1977 - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

No Lo Wood means our secondary is in real trouble this year….more worried about that than QB actually…

• mtndguy - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I thought ND’s secondary was sub par last year. The Michigan State game was a great example of this. This year’s secondary will be just as good if not better simply because BK has brought a higher level of talent to ND. Additionally the defensive line and linebackers will shut down the run. Everyone will know the pass is coming, there will be no surprises.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You must have been watching one too many sheeps. I didn’t see any sheeps but I did see horrible defensive backfield play overall.

11. italianirish - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think there’s some racial stereotyping going on here. I read somewhere recently that Golson is the third fastest quarterback on the roster and is more of a pocket passer.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Ran the 40 in 4.7. Cant imagine Gunner went faster than that. Hes quick and has mobility.

• gtizzo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

40 times are overrated.

• irishbornraised - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Gunner actually went pretty fast, faster than Golson if I remember. Truth be told, it probably has a little to do with race, but a lot more to do with his slight build and running nature. If you’re aware of possibilities to run, it makes the defense respect your legs.

• mtndguy - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Why do you say there’s racial stereotyping? Let’s hear why. I don’t see any comments here that correlate to race in anyway. Sounds like you have some issues of racial profiling of your own.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I <3 salami

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Say that again tizzo, especially in college. From what I’ve seen of him, he seems quick/elusive enough but then again, he’s a qb at nd, not auburn or lsu or Ohio state.

12. irish1958 - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Fast and quick are two entirely different things

13. fnc111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

EG will likely have as many fumbles as TR had interceptions. At least we can watch Crist play this season….

14. cpfirish - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

To be honest I am not worried about EG turning the ball over. He will have so many big time plays that it will make up for his miscues. I am very excited for our team this year. We have speed and talent all over the football field.
    And I am going to say it now. We will beat both Michigan teams..!!
    The Lo wood injury is not a good thing, but really I don’t think it was a big time blow to our D.
    Go Irish.!

15. fnc111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Crist was 4-5 when he got hurt???? You might want to check your facts on that. Rees lost the Tulsa game not Crist. Congrats tough guy fan, Crist gets one half to play while Rees gets all season to suck. Different rules for different people under Kelly. It’s s free country so I’m going to root and watch Crist on this season. You obviously missed the whole point of my post. Kelly tried jamming his lousy system down DCs throat instead of building the offense around his talents but it’s over and all I know is ND still doesn’t have a QB. I personally want to see the reactions of people in ND nation when Crist is in the NFL while Rees is riding pine getting ready to move on to a 9-5 job.

The national media is ready to jump on CBK the minute it looks like Crist is succeeding in his old system while ND plays the revolving door QB game to a 2-2 record going to Chicago.

• mtndguy - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Different rules for different people under Kelly? I find it amusing that there are fans who only get to see the players in games, think that they know better than the coach who sees the players in practice as well. I’m no Tommy fan, but Crist didn’t show a lot either. Frankly he seems injury prone to me, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has another season ending injury this year. I hope for Crist’s sake that you’re right and he makes it to the NFL. He seems like a great kid, and has worked hard.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Fine, Ill Clarify. Notre Dame went 4-6 when Crist started the game.

“Its a free country…” You sound like a third grader with that type of argument.

“Kelly tried jamming his lousy system down DCs throat instead of building the offense around his talents but it’s over and all I know is ND still doesn’t have a QB.”–Lousy system? So when he was going undefeated at Cincinatti with a QB similar to DC (Tony Pike) it was just a lousy system? This makes absolutely no sense. Kelly is trying to build a program at ND. The program was bigger than just Dayne Crist (Who has never started a game when kelly came) and it would make no sense to taylor the entire offense around Dayne. What if Dayne would have been a bust in a pro style too? What do you do then? Then your screwed. Kelly is trying to build the program back to relevance; not trying to pull a Weis and revolve it around quarterbacks. Secondly, you say ND stil doesn’t have a QB. You are away that kelly inherited ONE scholarship QB when he came to Notre Dame. ONE. Then since he was hired so late he had to take Rees/Hendrix just so he could have scholarship QBs. Golson was the first QB he recruited, and now he is most likely going to start. Just give it time man, its been 2 years.

“I personally want to see the reactions of people in ND nation when Crist is in the NFL while Rees is riding pine getting ready to move on to a 9-5 job.”—Being a great college QB and an NFL qb do not always overlap. Ex- Robinson, Tebow, Rice, Leaf, Pat White ect ect. I dont really care what happens in the NFL because it doesn’t affect NDs wins other than possible recruits. I want a QB who will succeed for Notre Dame first and thats what truly matters.

Fans these days…smh..

• ndfaithful - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Fire up that personal satellite for the Crist games! DVR those 5 seconds every saturday when ESPN checks in on the Weiss/Crist combo. laughing out loud…. (yeah – I typed the whole thing)

Wouldn’t it be cool if Weiss and Crist and the Irish all have great seasons and play for the BCS title!? Wow – hey as long as we’re delusional, lets go all the way.

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:19 AM

and you’re transmitting from WHAT planet?

16. fnc111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Last word from ND was that Golson ran the 40 in 4.8. He is not a runner. He is more of a guy that keeps plays alive by scrambling in the pocket but you will never see him do what that scUM QB does. But I’m guessing EG is a better passer than Robinson. I pray he stops fumbling the ball.

• bernhtp - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Everett is clearly very quick on the field. While I wouldn’t compare him to Denard in his speed, he’s instinctually elusive, knows how to extend plays, keep his eyes downfield, and has lots of poise.

He’s not a runner like Hendrix, who can hit the gap hard with the zone read option and take on linebackers, but Everett will run the ball downfield from the rollout if DBs don’t come up and respect his running ability. Hendrix is a runner and Golson a scrambler, but both will do great things with their feet and neither would get caught by a cop or cabby.

17. fnc111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I need to ask why some people are excited about this season? I have to believe its the kids in their early 20s all jacked up about this up coming season. Ive been around enough to not get fooled a third time.

Year 5 for Kelly looks like the chance for a big year as long as recruiting stays strong. 2012 is going to get ugly. Losses to MSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, and Stanford.

Love him or hate him ND is stuck with Kelly. Can’t keep rebuilding every four years with hiring and firing. 8 wins a year and high graduation rate is what ND is all about now. It’s a program doing it the right way. Sadly Rick Reilly wouldn’t mention that or the fact ND has the largest fan base in the nation.

If ND consistently won 8 games a year then popped for and 11 win campaign out of nowhere I’d be pretty happy.

• mtndguy - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

With Luck gone, Stanford won’t beat ND. I’m betting ND rolls into Oklahoma with one loss.

• papadec - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

mtnd – I think we’d all be very happy with that record going into the OKLA game.

• irish4006 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Why not ‘0’ loss (and possibly come out that way)? Hey, we haven’t started the season yet; I reserve the right to be optimistic.

If we play to the level of talent we have on our team, the only 2 games where we are truly overmatched are OK and USC, we should be even with UM and I like our chances against MSU and Stanford. 10-2 (or 9-3, if you are thinking one loss against one of the Michigans) is very much possible if we don’t continue to beat ourselves with turnovers.

• irish4006 - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM

To clarify, ‘0’ loss heading into the OK game…

• bernhtp - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

People are excited about this season because we’re excited about every season. We’re Notre Dame fans – many of us were fed the kool-aid as students there – and look for reasons to hope for glory every single season.

I was fortunate to have been at ND for two national championships, Joe Montana, Rudy (though, I barely remember that), Ross Browner, Bob Golic, Ara and Dan, King Kersten, etc. I got reinvigorated in the late 80s and early 90s and desperately hope to get back to that level. It’s been too long, but hope reemerges every summer.

• dmac4real - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

People are excited because football is back, and as of right now were undefeated.

• jrct2450yahoo - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

fnc111, at last an intelligent commentary. Too many contributors to this forum think with their hearts and not their heads.

18. bernhtp - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The interleaved interviews of Hendrix and Golson are pretty good in this piece.

I agree with others that it is extremely likely that Golson will get the nod, but Hendrix shows good attitude here and is an articulate kid. As the QB of Notre Dame, I hope they give Everett some personal media skill instruction. He has natural charm, but could become way smoother with a bit of training.

19. mmcss690 - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

fnc111 . . . Rick Reilly, is that you?

20. Patrick Hannegan - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Quite honestly, either of these two quarterbacks leading the Irish this year would be an upgrade. I do feel like Everett is a better quarterback with his skill set, scrappy style of running, arm, and not to mention, 4 full years of eligibility. I will be happy with either at the helm and will trust that BK will make the best decision. If Everett will be our quarterback for the next 4 years, I hope that Hendrix will transfer. The guy deserves an opportunity as a starting quarterback. He is a great athlete and a better person. I wish both the best and hope for a 10+ win year.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hendrix is a great athlete and a great person. Agreed.
      But he’s not, and in my opinion will never be a good QB.
      I maintain he should be shifted to safety next year.

• Patrick Hannegan - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I never thought of that but now that you said it, I am starting to see that as a possibility with his size and speed and work ethic.

• cameronemclaughlin - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

If Hendrix moves to safety we’ll have an entire season looking that the 2007 Sugar Bowl. Hendrix is a mobile QB, but does not possess the athleticism to play secondary in D-I football.

• nudeman - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You are not alone in that opinion and might be right.
        I just see a guy who is a tremendously gifted athlete (threw 95 MPH as a pitcher in HS) with a ton of passion; and a great teammate who seems to be miscast at QB.

He’s not terrible at all, but not good enough to get them to the next level either. This year he’s behind Golson; next year he’s likely behind Golson and Kiel.

So what a shame it would be if a guy like this spends his entire ND career mostly on the bench. I’d be surprised if this has not been discussed to some degree among the staff.

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

nudie – you have been standing alone on your little mountain for ever so long saying that Hendrix should be moved to safety next year, and for the most part you have been subjected to withering scorn from all the genii (plural of genius) who seem to cluster around this site.

Now at long last someone – The distinguished Mr. Patrick Hannegan – has come forth to agree with you. I congratulate him on his courage and to you, YOU GO GIRL!!!

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Nice post but Hendrix is in pre-med @ ND and I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

• Patrick Hannegan - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yeah, I know that he won’t transfer because he wants to be at ND. I just find it a shame that he will never get to show the nation his real ability.

21. simmel65 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I am excited for this season but I think the real payoff is in a couple of years. I think what Kelly brings in terms of a work ethic, a recruiting system and his coaching staff is going to pay off. Clearly he struggles with his “image” and his handling of QB’s, but you have to be impressed with the types of RKG’s he has recruited. Building up both the defensive line and offensive line has been huge and is going to pay off. If he can get the QB settled and can just learn to live with some mistakes, they will be ok. As bad as last year was we have 4 crazy things happen (SF fumble return, Mich comeback, USC fumble return, and Florida St. 2nd half.) We could have won all those games been 11-1… Really it wasn’t that far from that.

The question is was that bad luck or coaching? Probably in the middle, but I think (hope) Kelly will improve his demeanor this season, set his QB and run a lot!

BTW, If we can recruit a few WR and CB (which tend to be the diva athletes that ND doesn’t get) we could be really special in 2 years.

GO ND!

• irish4006 - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Even without the fumble return against USC, we would have to play out of our skin to win that game. It’s true that our defense kept things close, but they looked like a better team. We could/should have won the other 3… just my 2 cents.

• dickasman - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

You’re probably right payoff in couple years when we have jimbobs harbaugh as a coach

• danirish - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I don’t see anything wrong with Kelly’s demeanor – I live down in SEC country and I see Saben and Miles constantly yelling and screaming – Heck, Steve Spurrier throws absolute tantrums and visors and the medis smiles and hucks it up an calls him the “Ole Ball Coach.” I love the fact that Kelly is animated after “Gomer Pyle Davie, Stoic Willingham, and lost in the clouds Weis. I guess Notre Dame coaches are suppossed to be complete gentlemen. I do remember Holtz dragging a lineman off the field by his facemask.

Kelly brings an energy, a stuborn energy and that is what drives us crazy – he is going to shape the team. I expect this team will be special.

22. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I love the selection of Golson as starting QB and really believe that he gives us the best chance of winning, based on my limited observations. The thing that scares me the most is the comparison to Mike Vick. I think the comparison is apt but Vick sure does get hurt a lot for all his scrambling. In fact, the biggest news for Philly fans this week was that Vick’s rib xrays were negative. The D lines that Golson will face will be a lot bigger than he saw in SC (except for Clowney). Anyway, he’s got the sizzle and I hope game day proves he’s got the steak as well and that he stays healthy. We can’t move Hendrix to safety just yet, as we will need a competent back up sooner or later (hopefully never) but all it takes is one good slobberknocker. 6′ 185 is not the best matchup against a linebacker closing in at full tilt. That said, I hope he excels and avoids injury on the way to a 10 win season.

• nudeman - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

On Hendrix to safety, I am a lone voice on that, but want to be clear: That is a NEXT year thing. They actually need him this year for the reasons you cite: Golson with his slight frame most likely can’t last the whole year without getting knocked around pretty hard. A rib here, a stinger there, etc.

Hendrix can and should be used for ~10-15 snaps every game to mitigate the possibility of injury to Golson, and also because he can add value on his own.
      I don’t think he’s a bum.
      I just don’t believe he is a #1 start-every-game-QB for a team that wants to be in the BCS conversation.

23. loadofwash - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Snore…… ND sucks anyway you slice it

• irishbornraised - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Username says it all

• 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:24 AM

big 10-4 on that one

24. bearcatirishfan - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Anybody watch college football live last night. Apparently in the eyes of Calloway and pollack the loss of lo wood men’s gloom and doom for the season since ND has no ability to put pressure on or rush the passer.

• bernhtp - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

They lost perspective. Lo didn’t make it into anyone’s top 25 players for the year.

Lo is a great kid, and obviously made great strides in camp this summer, but he is among several others with no-little experience that have a chance to step up big.

Gloom and doom is reserved for losing Te’o, Eifert, Tuitt, Z Martin, etc.

• irish4006 - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

“Gloom and doom is reserved for losing Te’o, Eifert, Tuitt, Z Martin, etc.”

Dude, don’t even say it.

25. kleinick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM

10 days out. I just watched Golson’s Sr. year highlight real and got pretty amped. The kid is a playmaker and with our solid O-line and run game, I think he’s gonna have a great season.

• Patrick Hannegan - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM