Cierre Wood suspended for season opener (maybe more)

Aug 26, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT

Cierre Wood Wake Forest

The Irish’s travel squad will lose another returning starter, as Cierre Wood has been suspended for the season’s opening game, joining quarterback Tommy Rees and linebacker Carlo Calabrese at home in South Bend when the Irish travel to Dublin on Wednesday. Multiple sources have confirmed to me that Wood will sit out the season’s opening game, while two sources have also told me that the suspension isn’t limited to one game. The sports staff at The Observer, Notre Dame’s independently run student newspaper, also had sources confirm the story and helped contribute to this report.

Wood is coming off an 1,100 yard season where he averaged over five-yards a carry, holding onto the role of leading man at a position grouping that is the most talented on the roster. He’ll be replaced in the starting lineup by senior Theo Riddick, with sophomore George Atkinson also set to get significant touches against Navy.

While the news stayed air-tight throughout the preseason, the suspension isn’t news to Wood or the running back depth chart. While the senior from Oxnard, California has taken reps with the first team — as recently as yesterday — the position grouping has done its best to adapt to the situation, working in reserves Riddick, Atkinson, and cross-training running back-turned-cornerback-turned running back-again Cam McDaniel in case of an emergency. (Slot receiver Davonte Neal and transfer Amir Carlisle are also capable options.)

At 6-foot-1, 215-pounds, Wood is a unique back that has the speed and skills of a smaller player with the power to run effectively between the tackles. While he saved a year of eligibility after sitting out his freshman season, many expect Wood to declare himself eligible for the NFL Draft, something that maybe less likely after this suspension puts him behind the 8-ball with talent evaluators.

1. gtizzo - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Someone managed to put a nice lid on this one. When the Tommy Rees thing came out it was the 4th or 5th story on Sports Center. Maybe this was (I didn’t watch sports center tonight), but for this to come out one week before Navy! Awful timing BK is at home pulling out his hair! The Irish will be fine Riddick and Atkinson can easily carry the load all the way through September if needed.

2. fentocamarillo - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Oh, thank you nude. Your calming, fatherly words are most reassuring. I will sleep much easier tonight knowing that all is well. Now you also need to rest. So grab your TR voodoo doll and lay your miserable head down until 2013 or so. We all will feel so much better for it.

• nudeman - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM

fentowhotakesitupthea**
      Really wasn’t trying to calm you down. I think that’s been proven to be impossible
      But thanks anyway son.
      Have a good – and calm – day.

3. yaketyyacc - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:06 AM

self excused is self accused. hey, ther’re only kids. yes, and so are the other players, who follow the rules and love ND, and have thhe knowledge that a misguided pass, or fumble, or personal foul, etc., is the result of a clouded mind. they are busting their back to win, and have the frustration of seeing others fragrantly violating the rules.
    we are Notre Dame, and if we have to see water boys and cheerleaders, who play by the rules, represeent us on the football, so be it. suspended! no, EXPELLED!

• dbldmr - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Expelled? I think treating them the same as any other student would be appropriate. If someone in Dillon Hall did whatever these guys did and expulsion wasn’t on the table then it shouldn’t be on the table for these guys. You don’t think being identified and discussed nationally for stupid behavior is punishment? I’m glad that I didn’t have any visibility when I was at Notre Dame. I suspect my parents wouldn’t have been terribly happy reading about my exploits in newspapers from New York to Los Angeles.

4. fnc111 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Quiet down joeblk,

Who was on the clock when a student videographer died in high winds? This stuff is happening under CBKs watch and that’s a fact. Was Matt James not a Kelly recruit? Keep living with blinders on. This is not the ND I grew up on and it’s getting quite annoying. This isn’t Cuba so I will voice my opinion. I don’t want ND ending up like Michigan and OSU.

• nudeman - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Exactly how can you in any way connect Kelly to the Matt James death? That is just plain stupid.

As I recall, Matt died while on a trip with some other HS friends.
      Also, if I’m not mistaken he was a Weis recruit who kept his commitment after the coaching turnover.
      And Kelly, despite not knowing the young man, attended his funeral.

Don’t know the James family but I’d guess they’re just fine with the way ND and BK handled this Suggestion is you show some class and leave Matt James and his family out of future rants.

5. 1historian - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Why is everybody so completely convinced that this has to do with booze or with drugs?

20 year old kids do stupid things – that’s part of the job description.

In any case this is absolutely none of our business. Reporting the suspension is part of Keith’s job (which he does well) but other than that the rest is just speculation, which could prove harmful to these young men in the future.

If they ARE part of the story I repeat Para. #2.

• nudeman - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Not only is it none of our business, who really cares about the “why” part of this?
      These aren’t the Kardashians.
      I don’t know/don’t care why he got suspended or what he was doing

Just beat Navy, then Purdue.
      Period

6. fnc111 - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Also, it’s Weis not Weiss. *******.

7. c4evr - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Just to set the record straight:

Michael Floyd, DUI, no suspension
    Tommy Rees, public intoxication & battery, 1 game suspension
    Cierre Wood, ?? (perhaps Mary Jane), 2 game suspension

Is it me, or do these seem to be wildly inconsistent and heading in the wrong direction. No matter how you slice, this isn’t your father’s Notre Dame any more.

• don74 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

To set the record straight it needs to be mentioned that Floyd had to move back on campus to (I think) Dillon and he had to meet other requirements set by Kelly.

After living off campus, being a star footballer, moving back to campus is tougher than a one, two or three game suspension.

Rees may have only received one game but his chances of ever starting again totally went down the drain.

Calabrese got the one game suspension for being next man in. Now “his people” get to go to Ireland without him.

Wood most likely got exactly the right discipline for his actions.

I would have hated to discipline my children with the world watching and commenting. It was bad enough went parents put in their two cents.

• bernhtp - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Being moved to Dillon is especially harsh punishment.

• audomer - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Did you ever stop to think that Brian Kelly is fed up with this sh-it! I know I am!!

I’ll bet you my house payment vs your next video game purchase that the next kid to step out of line will get even more discipline.

Life is not fair, unless of course you’re the type of kid who rides around in a Mercedes that Mommy and Daddy bought for you!

8. ihatemistate - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM

First of all, NEVER underestimate your opponent. All this “we’ll be fine without Wood for the Navy game” is really stupid. Second, I am really getting sick of ND players getting in trouble and acting like bustouts. After reading Cierre Wood on twitter, it’s no surprise. He thinks it’s cool to talk and SPELL like a gangsta. Hard to believe he’s a college senior, let alone at ND, and if anyone deserved to get expelled it was Tommy Rees for fighting with a police officer. He doesn’t deserve to step foot on ND campus after that.