Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 AM EDT
Notre Dame confirmed the suspension of running back Cierre Wood and announced a two-game suspension of defensive end Justin Utupo as well on Sunday for violating team rules.
“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”
As mentioned in our original report, the loss of Wood puts the running back duties in the hands of Theo Riddick and George Atkinson, capable replacements for the Irish. Utupo’s suspension will thin out the Irish’s depth at defensive end, though he wasn’t expected to be in the team’s early rotation at the position.
- VanGorder finds perfect fit at Notre Dame 46
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Bye week 46
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 111
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31