Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 AM EDT
Notre Dame confirmed the suspension of running back Cierre Wood and announced a two-game suspension of defensive end Justin Utupo as well on Sunday for violating team rules.
“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”
As mentioned in our original report, the loss of Wood puts the running back duties in the hands of Theo Riddick and George Atkinson, capable replacements for the Irish. Utupo’s suspension will thin out the Irish’s depth at defensive end, though he wasn’t expected to be in the team’s early rotation at the position.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64