Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 AM EDT
Notre Dame confirmed the suspension of running back Cierre Wood and announced a two-game suspension of defensive end Justin Utupo as well on Sunday for violating team rules.
“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”
As mentioned in our original report, the loss of Wood puts the running back duties in the hands of Theo Riddick and George Atkinson, capable replacements for the Irish. Utupo’s suspension will thin out the Irish’s depth at defensive end, though he wasn’t expected to be in the team’s early rotation at the position.
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 75
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35