Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 AM EDT
Notre Dame confirmed the suspension of running back Cierre Wood and announced a two-game suspension of defensive end Justin Utupo as well on Sunday for violating team rules.
“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”
As mentioned in our original report, the loss of Wood puts the running back duties in the hands of Theo Riddick and George Atkinson, capable replacements for the Irish. Utupo’s suspension will thin out the Irish’s depth at defensive end, though he wasn’t expected to be in the team’s early rotation at the position.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172