Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 AM EDT
Notre Dame confirmed the suspension of running back Cierre Wood and announced a two-game suspension of defensive end Justin Utupo as well on Sunday for violating team rules.
“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”
As mentioned in our original report, the loss of Wood puts the running back duties in the hands of Theo Riddick and George Atkinson, capable replacements for the Irish. Utupo’s suspension will thin out the Irish’s depth at defensive end, though he wasn’t expected to be in the team’s early rotation at the position.
- Golson returns to the practice field 20
- Spring Solutions: Wide receivers and tight ends 23
- Cody Riggs officially joins the Irish 39
- Academic casualties proof that foundation at Notre Dame remains 120
- Irish succeed with 2014 class, even against the odds 121
- Notre Dame announces Campus Crossroads Project 39