Tuesdays with BK: Navy edition

Aug 28, 2012, 8:17 PM EST

KLMfans

With the time difference in Ireland forcing this post at an absurdly late hour, we’ll present Brian Kelly’s Tuesday press conference mostly without comment. But a few bullet points that really caught my ear:

* Congratulations to the four seniors named captains of the 2012 football team: Tyler Eifert, Zack Martin, Kapron Lewis-Moore, and Manti Te’o. They’ll represent their team as official leaders and it’s a great selection by head coach Brian Kelly and his coaching staff.

Only Lewis-Moore really comes across as a vocal type, with Martin and Eifert mostly quiet leaders and Te’o far from the stereotypical talker. But four players being named almost quantifies the fact that this team is buying into the changes Kelly made in the offseason, and Kelly’s kind words for KLM — who was one of the veterans that bristled the most after last year’s “my guys” flap — is a great sign for team chemistry.

* Plenty of questions aimed at the status of running back Amir Carlisle. Listed as No. 3 on the WR depth chart, Kelly announced Carlisle will be unavailable for the Navy game, taking another playmaker (or at least potential, we’ve yet to see the USC transfer actually practice) off the field.

It’ll be interest to monitor Carlisle’s ability to get on the field. Kelly hinted that he might be available to talk to the media next week — which would make sense because Carlisle is probably incredibly motivated to see the field against Purdue, where his father is now the head of strength and conditioning.

If any ankle issues linger into the season, it might be time for a redshirt season to be considered. It’d be a shame to hold out a transfer player that actually qualified for immediate eligibility, but from a depth chart perspective, the move could make sense.

* A few more clues came out regarding the suspension of Cierre Wood and Justin Utupo. From Kelly’s comments the issue wasn’t one that had to do with ResLife, making any reports of a positive drug test less likely.

Discussing the decision to hold out both player for two games, he referenced the teaching moment as opposed to sticking on the discipline, and hopefully both Wood and Utupo come back after two games ready to contribute immediately.

Wood will be a key piece of the offensive puzzle, and keeping him fresh for two critical early games isn’t the worst thing in the world.

***

1. mmcss690 - Aug 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So when does the team flight leave South Bend?

• joeschu - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM

He said in the presser, late Wed afternoon. They’re trying to run them ragged Wed, so they sleep on the flight and adjust quickly.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Consider yourselves lucky. The game starts 3am HWST … Makes me wonder how many Teo and Toma and Schwenke fans will be up at 3am to watch live? I myself am not even sure what I will do.

• papadec - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM

808 – seriously? Party hardy – watch the game, take a nap, watch some more games.

• 808raiderinparadise - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM

HA, thanks … yeah I will prob watch it, then sleep after … screaming purple faced like Brian Kelly while my nieghbors called the cops while drinking some beers from 3-630am …. stay classy my friends

2. dickasman - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Somebody please tell me I’m wrong but I have a feeling we are in for one of the worst four horsemancraptastic seasons we ve had in recent years. Ughh, How depressing….

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

OK you’re wrong.

• bernhtp - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Dick, listen to this very closely:

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Oh, this will be a 4 Horsemen type season… but this one will actually BE the apocalypse.

3. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

The suspensions of Wood and Utupo harken back to the Holtz era when Lou suspended Watters and Brooks from the USC trip for missing a team meeting. Rules are rules. Great stuff.

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Let’s hope the harkening doesn’t end there.

• irishpuma - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Uhh hate to do this to you but they were suspended for slashing tires and smoking things in the Stanford Hall Dorms. Holtz would not have touched them for a team meeting.

4. bigirishphan - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wednesday at 7pm flight leaves South Bend for a 7 hour flight.

5. Herring Bone - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Keith Arnold podcast interview from last week:

Apologies as for whatever reason I thought I had done this. Keith’s portion starts around the 11:00 mark and ranges from Golson to DE/OLB to Navy to CB and all the good stuff. We recorded the interview about 30 minutes before the official Golson announcement and operated on assumption anyways. Thanks again Keith – great stuff. Go.Irish.

• bernhtp - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I listened to it when it came out. Great interview and discussion.

• dmac4real - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Nude getting a shout out. Making it big time. Alright…

• Herring Bone - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I thought I’d save that little Nudeman nugget for those who chose to listen in. He e-mailed me a question and as I promised in the last post I got it on. Thanks Nude and we hear what you’re saying … sometimes.

6. idratherbeinsouthbend - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Obviously, the early morning hours on Saturday are most important to us, but if you’re looking for more than just the ND dose of CFB, i did the homework for you. Here are a few games you might not want to miss…

Thursday (all times EST)
    South Carolina vs. Vandy on ESPN at 7pm
    Washington St. vs. BYU on ESPN at 10pm

Friday
    Boise State vs. Michigan State on ESPN at 8pm

Saturday (after ND of course)
    Ohio vs. Penn State on ESPN at noon
    Miami(OH) vs. Ohio State on BigTenNetwork at noon
    Marshall vs. WV on FX at noon
    Miami(FL) vs. Boston College on ABC at 3:30
    Bowling Green vs. Florida on ESPN at 3:30
    Auburn vs. Clemson on ESPN at 7:00
    Alabama vs. Michigan on ABC at 8:00

Monday
    Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech on ESPN at 8:00

…the wait has been long enough. Kick off already!!!

7. mmcss690 - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Thanks big.

Bern, don’t even have to watch the clip to know!! Haha! Dick, we are all more stupid for having listened to you, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

8. ndgoldandblue - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Anyone else scared about this game? I was feeling pretty good before the USF game last year, and then the wheels came off. That night, I was sick to my stomach wondering “How did that just happen?” I really hope the same crap doesn’t happen this year. Anyway, I won’t feel “good” about this game until it’s well in hand in the fourth quarter.

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Speaking of the USF game, here’s to hoping these images are a thing of the past:

9. c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Expect a sloppy first couple of games. I don’t know how many here have flown internationally, but it wreaks havoc on your system. We took ambien and slept the whole way there and that made us even more sluggish. With a 6 hour time difference, these kids are young and flexible, but it effects the mind more. Even worse when we returned home for about a week. These suspensions (and I’m not a conspiracy guy) may be a blessing in disguise… except, of course, if TR ends up back behind center.

• nudeman - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Well, don’t forget Navy has the same issue

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

True, but let’s hope this isn’t the one scenario that benefits a mostly one dimensional team.

• nudeman - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You’re over thinking this. ND should win easily, and if they don’t we’re in for a long-g-g year.
        Have you read much about Navy? They’re coming off a poor year and still not very good

I like Don’s 46-17 prediction. Sounds about right

I hope for the kids’ sake they can empty the bench and everyone gets to see some action.

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You may be right as to overthinking, so I’ll just make my prediction:

ND 23 Navy 21

• runners00 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I think that you are right to say that there are differences in international travel and, particularly, travel in the middle of the week to a time zone where you’re losing an hour. All of that said: I expect us to struggle a bit — it is the first game of the season — but we should pull away in the second half.

Go Irish!

10. bigmix86 - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Slow down all of you doomsayers. The apocalypse doesn’t happen for another four months.

• NotreDan - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

oh great. My Irish will be slated to play in the BCS Championship, and the flocking world will end.

*******fizzle

11. audomer - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Dickasman is a “man” who is a dick…….makes perfect sense!

12. bblack55 - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Memo to Jack Swarbrick-

I know when you’re making decisions, no one asks what my opinion might be but I do have one request:

Please don’t put the Leprechaun on a hamburger bun.

thanks

13. chisports14 - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I know this isn’t related but I couldn’t help myself and get slightly nervous about everyone saying next year will be THE YEAR because we will have our QB

-Taking a look at the depth it appears Cave, Golic, and possibly Martin (if he bolts to the NFL like people say he might) will be gone

– This leaves Conor Hanratty, Nick Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Matt Hegarty, and Christian Lombard as our go-to guys…

– Our back-ups better show up

I personally I think 2014 will be a big year… QB will be there, hopefully most of our secondary shows up, Defensive 7 will all still be around, our OL should be well seasoned, Atkinson will be the man at RB, and lets hope some WRs come around… the real question is how these next two seasons unfold between now and then because will BK still be pulling the strings

• papadec - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

chi – your prediction is probably too realistic, with steady improvement over the next two seasons, leading to that gang buster ’14 season. I’d like to see a double-digit WIN season, this year – leading to a National Championship title in ’13. I know. I know. I’ll be accused of drinking the ND Kool-aide. But, what the hey – it tastes good with my Polish potato vodka! GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

• c4evr - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I hope ’13 is the year, too, because I have a ’73 commemorative 7UP bottle that’s turning 40 – so it’s well aged. I’d love to pop that sucker open while it’s still got some fizz.

14. irisheyesnate - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The score will be 33 or 34-7 in favor of our IRISH!

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for Fuckin’ spoiling it! I had my DVR set and everything….how did Everest Gholston play? Did the front 7 shut down Army’s ground game? No, WAIT…don’t answer…i’ll still probably watch it on DVR.

• bernhtp - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Everest Gholston is the MSU DE who climbs the Himalayas.

15. idratherbeinsouthbend - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

No matter how Saturday turns out, just remember…it could be worse, just ask Bob Davie

at his Tuesday gameweek press conference he announced several interesting items…

Heavily sanctioned New Mexico will start 12 players with zero snaps at the collegiate level and another 3 players with zero experience will be in the rotation, seeing significant time.

5 walk-ons will be starting in some capacity.

2 starting senior defensive linemen are suspended for the first two games

Junior QB, who took the majority of the snaps and all first team reps in fall camp for the last two weeks is suspended for the first game

Senior starting QB, who has missed more than two weeks with an injury, will have two full practices before their opener.

….JUST SAYIN’