Live blog: Notre Dame vs. Navy

Sep 1, 2012, 7:44 AM EDT

IMG_0295

DUBLIN, Ireland — Here we go folks. Another football season is here. On a beautiful, sunny and windy afternoon in Aviva Stadium, Notre Dame begins its 2012 season. Led by first-time starting quarterback Everett Golson, the Irish are looking to get the season off to a good start.

With a 2 p.m. local kickoff, fans back home in the United States will be watching the game over breakfast, with the kickoff at 9 a.m. in South Bend and a set-your-alarm-clock 6 a.m. kickoff on the West Coast.

As always, we’re live-blogging the proceedings. So stop by and watch the game with us, and as usual I’ll try to referee the action.

***

1. brendanunderscoreg - Sep 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Just shotgunned at 745 AM. What the hell is wrong with me?

Go Irish!!!

2. papadec - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

So much for the “slow start” & hand-wringing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. loadofwash - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Don’t worry, ND still sucks. The most irreverent team of the past quarter century.

• runners00 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You took time to register and post on this blog just to call us “irreverent”? If anything ND has been far too respectful these past 25 years, not irreverent. I suspect that you meant to use the word “irrelevant,” but you’re not quite bright enough to figure out the spelling and context.

Go back to your U of Miami weblog. . . .

• tony34343434 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

over 33,000 went to go see ND in Ireland. NO One has he history or the presence of the Irish. They are he Yankees. Cowboys, Canadians of college football. when they win ratings rise. other teams can win but will never have the history, love and respect of the irish.

4. fentocamarillo - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Was that nudeman live blogging today. Did my eyes deceive me.

5. irishdodger - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

@loadofwash: they’re so “irreverent” that you took time out of your day to post on an ND blog. I pity you.

• Jennifer - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Touche!

• irishbornraised - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

false, for it to be touche, load of wash would have had to have first made a point, rather than a load of wash

6. notredave - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

EG!!

7. runners00 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Great game all around. Nice to see speed inside on defense and solid offensive line work. Looks to me like EG is a strong leader and can move the ball and, for the most part, take care of it. Fun, fun stuff.

8. ndgoldandblue - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Coach Kelly. Please, please, please do not start Tommy next week against Purdue. Don’t even play him (which would mean that he’d pulled Golson and gone to Rees. Those play-action passes that you did today (many of them successfully) don’t even exist as plays within your repertoire if Rees is the starting QB. Yeah, Everett threw a pick, but he also looked pretty good on several of his other throws. The kid is going to make some mistakes, but let’s ride ‘em out and get this kid the time in the game so we can prepare for the future. I don’t think anyone on here believes that the Irish can go to the national championship this year, so let’s take our lumps in this ridiculously difficult schedule and see what the kids are made of.

• c4evr - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

ndg&b,

Sorry Kelly doesn’t read these blogs – only the players.

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Thanks. It was sort of a rhetorical question, I guess. And if Tommy actually read this blog, then he would know that absolutely nobody wants him to be the starter.

• papadec - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

ndgold – I beg to differ. I had my son bet on the Irish to win the BCS title this year (when he went to Vegas on Spring Break). I got 18-1 on $20. At 1-0 they’re still in the hunt. GO IRISH!!!!!!!!

• dickasman - Sep 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Don’t worry guys, I just got off the phone w bk. rest assured, he said he would not pull eg unless he gets piss drunk n starts talking sht to pigs again.

9. Patrick Hannegan - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Things to Love

After this game, whats not to love? Although to defense showed its prowess and turnover ability against a physical Navy team, I am going to choose the run game and the O-Line. The ground attack of the Irish helped to relieve some of the pressure and anxiety off of Golson. They shredded up the Midshipmen defense and showed some moves of elite backs. George Atkinson III had his coming out party at the Blue-Gold game last spring but it is nice to see that type of ability used against an opponent. Reddick, a running back turned wide receiver turned running back, showed ND nation that his make-you-miss moves. It was clear and good to see that he was comfortable as a running back, something we never saw when he was in the slot position. Also, the O-Line was able to let Golson settle in the pocket and make accurate throws. The also made gaping holes for the running backs to explode through. An all around great game by the O-Line and running backs.

Things to Hate

Although there is not much to hate after a game like that, the Irish secondary let a Navy team through at their will. It was not by any means terrible but what most expected to be a decent secondary looked more like a problem to me. Russel who is a true Freshman who was a running back turned corner back showed some weakness letting Navy receivers blow by him. Although he was showing much promise in fall practice, he does not look big time yet. Navy, a team who has been a traditionally option team, was able to complete 14 of 20 for 192 yards. It isn’t the end of the world as the defense kept Navy to a mere 10 points, but it is something definitely worth noting. Also, Notre Dame showed early struggles with extra points. Missing the first, nearly missing another, and a dropped snap on another took two point off of the board. 2 points was nothing in this game but in another might be the difference between winning and losing.

Things to Watch

Golson, although having a good game, showed signs that did not settle well. I saw some of Tommy Rees in the way Golson went through his progressions. If the play was designed to go to Eifert, Golson stared Eifert down until he was open and then tried to force it to him. He needs to learn how to look off defenders and how to see the whole field. On the one interception he threw, Golson did not see a streaking DaVaris Daniels in the end zone. He kept his eyes on Eifert and the corner jumped the route and intercepted the pass. Although the turnover ratio was much better in this game, his lack of ability to see the whole field is worth watching.

• c4evr - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I know it’s only Navy, but at times, it was like watching the teams of the early 90′s. It’s nice to see the north-south running game is the still the ‘meat & potatoes’ of winning football. When he had to throw, EG seemed comfortable and didn’t have ‘happy feet’ in the pocket. Was shocked to see how the O bogged down under Hendrix. Cam McDaniel is a gamer. Hits the hole without any hesitation. Biggest shock of the year – the first fumble recovery and interception of T’eo’s CAREER… what?

• irish4006 - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM

“… what most expected to be a decent secondary looked more like a problem to me…”
      I am not sure where you are getting your news, but this is the known weakness on this team. Both corners were out of position most of the time, one can only hope that it will get better as the season progresses. If the CBs can’t do a semi-decent job by game 3 or 4, this may be a long season.

I agree with the things to watch, but saw plenty of things there to be optimistic and I won’t compare anyone to TR until I have seen a lot more of him. You may not have noticed, but this guy can actually throw, real throws not TR heaves.

• Patrick Hannegan - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM

To the first part, I know that it is the weakness and that it was not good at all, but i know that a lot of people were expecting bennet and russell to be able to hold their own. They let Navy of all teams, pass all over them, Navy! They better get better. Also, Golson is not comparable to Rees overall, it is just that watching him stare down one man reminded me of Rees.

10. papadec - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

c4evr – I believe the O-Line, that didn’t look as good (bogged down) was the 2nd string with Hendrix. I could be wrong though. This game reminded me of smash mouth, running game, football of the days of old. I loved it!!!!!!!

• c4evr - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I imagine you are right about the second unit. Still, with fresh legs against a defense that’s been on the field all day, I guess I expected a little more. Totally agree that it’s nice to see gaping holes for the run game. That will give EG the greatest advantage to hone his game.

11. ndgoldandblue - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Per the AP article on Notre Dame’s win over Navy: “Last year’s starter Tommy Rees returns from suspension this week, and Brian Kelly was noncommittal about Golson’s hold on the job.” Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me!?

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Here’s the link, but i wouldn’t read too much into it. He also stated numerous times in the press conference that Golson would be learning and get better every single week. It’s a non-issue unless you’re nudey and you need something to be grumpy about.

12. loadofwash - Sep 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Bunch of punks and pukes on this team. Pencil in another bowl in Hawaii