Sep 4, 2012, 3:23 PM EST
While Allen Pinkett‘s comments last week had him sent home from Ireland and removed from the radio broadcast for the game against Navy, they will not cost him his job. Notre Dame IMG Radio Network announced that Pinkett will serve a three-game unpaid suspension before returning to join Don Criqui in the radio booth.
“Allen has done a great job for the Notre Dame IMG Radio network over the past four years, has a supportive fan base, and most importantly, has expressed deep heartfelt remorse for his choice of words, which were not in the spirit of college athletics,” the Notre Dame IMG Radio Network said in a statement. “After careful deliberation and thorough discussion, we believe the right decision is to allow a truly repentant Allen Pinkett an opportunity to return to the booth beginning with the fourth game of the college football season.”
Pinkett, who earned All-American honors for the Irish as a running back and has spent eight years on the radio broadcast team, expressed remorse and was thankful to have a chance to return to the booth.
“I love this school as much as I love my kids and would never want to compromise the ethics and morals of my alma mater, Notre Dame,” Allen Pinkett said. “I would again like to offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology to all those affected by my inappropriate comments, particularly the University, the school’s hard-working and courageous student athletes, all Fighting Irish fans and team supporters, our friends at The Ohio State University, and my colleagues at IMG Notre Dame Radio Network. This offering of forgiveness is an extremely humbling life lesson. I will work very hard to make the most of this second chance in representing the high standards and proud tradition of Notre Dame football.”
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Bryant’s redshirt freshman season appears official (117)
- Postseason Mailbag: Now Open (Christmas giveaway bonus!) (91)
- Recruiting bonanza continues with TE Tyler Luatua commitment (90)
- Pot of Gold pushes Notre Dame recruiting to the forefront (34)
- Elston pledges return as Irish program moves forward (28)