Pinkett to return to radio broadcast after suspension

Sep 4, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT

Notre Dame The Shirt

While Allen Pinkett‘s comments last week had him sent home from Ireland and removed from the radio broadcast for the game against Navy, they will not cost him his job. Notre Dame IMG Radio Network announced that Pinkett will serve a three-game unpaid suspension before returning to join Don Criqui in the radio booth.

“Allen has done a great job for the Notre Dame IMG Radio network over the past four years, has a supportive fan base, and most importantly, has expressed deep heartfelt remorse for his choice of words, which were not in the spirit of college athletics,” the Notre Dame IMG Radio Network said in a statement. “After careful deliberation and thorough discussion, we believe the right decision is to allow a truly repentant Allen Pinkett an opportunity to return to the booth beginning with the fourth game of the college football season.”

Pinkett, who earned All-American honors for the Irish as a running back and has spent eight years on the radio broadcast team, expressed remorse and was thankful to have a chance to return to the booth.

“I love this school as much as I love my kids and would never want to compromise the ethics and morals of my alma mater, Notre Dame,” Allen Pinkett said. “I would again like to offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology to all those affected by my inappropriate comments, particularly the University, the school’s hard-working and courageous student athletes, all Fighting Irish fans and team supporters, our friends at The Ohio State University, and my colleagues at IMG Notre Dame Radio Network. This offering of forgiveness is an extremely humbling life lesson. I will work very hard to make the most of this second chance in representing the high standards and proud tradition of Notre Dame football.”

1. dickasman - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m glad he ll be back. It’s the right decision. The guy had a dickasman moment, we all have those moments. I give him my respek to Allen for having the footballs to say what’s on his mind. We all think, thought and have said something similar. Even my family nd graduates. It’s not like he went to michigan and tried to kill his wife. I get what you’re saying Allen, a
    Though probably have been better said in private.

2. irish4006 - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I can’t believe I am agreeing with Dick…

His comments were kind of out there, utterly ridiculous; but no one has to lose a job over this. For once, people didn’t overreact and came up with a punishment that is in line with the crime.

• papadec - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

crime! What freakin’ crime did he commit? He didn’t use an illegal drug. He didn’t hit a cop. He spoke his mind. A poor choice of words – at worst. One game would have been enough – the crime here is a three game suspension without pay. What absolute bull manure! ND & IMG Radio should be ashamed of what they did!

3. 9irish - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:50 PM

It’s a good thing. I don’t think it was huge anyway to be honest….but I understood the context of what he was saying, others didn’t. The thought police. Paul Hornung had a similar gaffe (race related), didn’t work out too well for him. You put people on radio that have a personality, you have to give them a little bit of leeway.

4. nudeman - Sep 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Political correctness run amok

Does anybody really believe he truly thinks ND needs criminals?
    99.99% chance he was joking
    Or at most, making the point that we need to be tougher with a poor choice of words

Never should have been suspended even for a game

• 9irish - Sep 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

well said, Nude

• frankb51 - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM

everybody knows he does not think that, public personalities especially in the media and entertainment business held to a higher standard. A one gamer was enough;

5. kiopta1 - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

He simply was saying that ND needs hard asses not criminals….he was an idiot in that moment.

6. jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

If dickasman isn’t gonna be dickasman anymore, allow me. We need criminals on this team with their particular set of skills they could bring to the field:

Armed robbers would be great defensive backs. Why? They could steal the ball.
    Murderers would be great running backs. Why? They could kill the clock.
    Rapists would be great defensive linemen. Why? They could plug the holes.
    The arsonists would have to be cheerleaders though. Why? So they can light a fire under the home crowd.
    Finally, we need those who commit assaults. Why? So they can play 3rd string QB this season.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Oh, I forgot to use the word sizzurp. Sorry.

7. 1historian - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

This was a good example of ND corporate cleanup, at which they are masters.

Pinkett said something quite stupid. He apologized.

1 game – maybe. 3 games? Way overdone.

The guy looks terrible. He must have but on at least 50 lbs since he graduated.

Sad story, silly story.

• 9irish - Sep 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Well, hell, the guy’s in his 50s (I think)…give him a break. This whole thing is soooooo much ado about nothing.

8. waydomer - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

In all the defense of Pinkett, has anyone seriously listened to his broadcasts? He makes stupid comments every game (albeit maybe not as charged as this one). He is a great Notre Dame guy, but a really lousy commentator.

• Jennifer - Sep 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Totally agree. Drive me nuts.

9. loadofwash - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

What he said is true. A crappy team since the days with lower standards and the likes of waters, rocket and all the other good Irish Catholics. Ha ha what a joke of a university. Have fun at 500 for another decade. ND should give tressel a call…I’m serious.