Follow the Irish anywhere with NBC Sports Live Extra app

Sep 7, 2012, 9:17 PM EDT

mzl.uwnnorfb

With Notre Dame set to kickoff its home schedule tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. ET, I’ve received a few hundred emails and tweets from nervous Irish fans wondering how they’ll be able to watch the game if they’re away from their television.

(Or in some places in the Southeast, if their local affiliate decided to show Alabama take on some cupcake.)

Well have no fear. The NBC Sports Live Extra app is here.

With a new interface to replace the old ND Central app, the NBC Sports Live Extra app builds off the popular platform that helped viewers watch almost 24 million live streams of the London Olympics. In addition to Notre Dame games, you’ll also be able to watch live sporting events that air on NBC, NBC Sports Network and the Golf Channel, meaning this app should be getting a workout come bye week when the Americans take on the Europeans in the Ryder Cup.

If you don’t have a tablet or smart phone, don’t sweat it. As we did bright and early (for everyone here) in Dublin, we’ll also be hosting both a live blog here. And the game will also stream live at NBCSports.com, where you can watch the game with full DVR functionality in high definition from your computer. I’ll also be hosting a chat there.

In other words, we’ve got you covered.

1. bill2018 - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks NBC! I know a lot of Irish fans and have spread the word about this app. They and i are very grateful for it! Keep up the good work.

2. dickasman - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Keith, are these good for iPhone, iPad, and android and on computer? Also, only the home games, correct?

3. tigerwhale - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Keith, I couldn’t find anything on the NBC site about replays. Will we be able to access the video of the game online after it’s aired. Thanks!

• joeschu - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Great question – I don’t see a replay on the NBCSportsChannel or Universal listings.

I’m going to find some iPhone app that let’s me remote control my browser so I can kick off the stream at 3:30 and immediately pause it until I get home. I hope NBC posts the full game after the livestream for those of us who can’t start/pause it.

Ugh… this was supposed to be the benefit of a NATIONAL TV contract. I can’t believe ESPN managed to relegate us to streaming. The awful part of this is that if someone really wanted to watch that Alabama scrimmage, they could have got it easily on ESPN game plan. No need to put it on a broadcast channel, but according to NBC’s contract, operators can ONLY put the game on the affiliate’s primary broadcast channel.

They’re a bunch of crooks… vote them all out (oops, right sentiment, wrong context).

• ndmouse - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

i’m not sure i understand, joe. are you saying that there won’t be any replays of the games on the nbc site because of espn?

• joeschu - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Sorry, no. The “blocking” here in Raleigh was due to ESPN, but the lack of NBC replays seems to just be a stupid decision by NBC/Universal.

4. irishsportstalk - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

About time I was getting worried.

5. irishsportstalk - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

About time I was getting worried.

6. ndnative - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Will the Notre Dame Central app be updated? I like the app but there are some things I’d like to see changed (aside from updating it for the current season) – the ability to comment or give a thumbs up/down directly via the app would be an improvement…As of now the only way you can comment through the app is if there is a link within Keith’s article which takes you to the actual Inside the Irish page…

7. ndgoldandblue - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

With the Randolph commitment, I got to thinking about recruiting and I looked back several years. Going back to ’06, Notre Dame has outrecruited both Michigan State and Wisconsin, with the exception of ’09 when MSU had a better recruiting class. But, both MSU and UW seem to be at or around the 1-2 loss mark every year. I think that’s something Irish fans would gladly accept. After signing day, I stated in a post that the Irish couldn’t compete with the big boys on the recruiting front. I retract that because, while we’ve been outrecruited by USC and Alabama, we’ve been equal to or ahead of other BCS teams.

But that brings up an important question: What is preventing the Irish from being in the BCS discussion every year? I’ve narrowed it down to three possibilities: 1) Coaching. But I just don’t buy that. Weis is some sort of offensive genius, and we’ve seen poor defensive teams get to 10-2 on a, somewhat, annual basis on the strength of their offense alone. And Kelly has been known to do more with less (see Cincinnati), so competency in the ND coaches shouldn’t be the issue; 2) Strength of schedule. But I’m not buying that either. In the past, Notre Dame was known to have brutal schedules on a yearly basis, but that hasn’t been the case lately. I know that this year, the Irish have the most difficult schedule in the nation, but the two previous years were not all that daunting; 3) Outside of the top 4 recruiting classes, there really isn’t that much of a difference in talent with the rest of the top 25. This one might be it. Not even looking at recruiting, just look at national polls right now. In both the coaches poll and the AP, we can all agree that the top 4 teams in the country are head and shoulders above the rest of the top 25. Teams numbered 5-25 could really be interchangeable. Perhaps, the same thing applies to recruiting. Maybe there isn’t much of a difference between the number-6 ranked recruiting class and the number-16 ranked recruiting class. We’ve done better than MSU and UW (and Boise St., West Virginia, etc.) in recruiting from a rankings standpoint, but maybe the difference in talent really isn’t that great. Any thoughts?

• irishbrian21 - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

ndgoldandblue, I think there is a stark difference between MSU and Wisconsin’s schedule and ours. Yes ND used to sit atop the college football world with the hardest SOS, but that was when we were topping recruiting as well. Now we have the hardest SOS but the number 6 recruiting class.. and well you see the results.. Think about it this way.. even if Wisconsin’s schedule appears tough because they are playing Michigan, Penn-State, Nebraska etc.. they still schedule two cupcakes at the beginning of the year. Also– their schedule is made easier by the fact that they tough teams they face are teams they play every year. This breeds familiarity with the opposing coaches and systems, players weaknesses, game-film etc.. When ND adds Oklahoma for a home-and-away and then Texas in 2015 for a home-and-away we are playing those teams cold.

That said.. there are no excuses for us not to win. Kelly is a task-master and the kids are buying into it. I’ve been thinking that this is the year we will turn some heads.

8. agoodmedium - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Thank You Keith for this information!! Very appreciated!!!