Video Round-up: Notre Dame 20, Purdue 17

Sep 9, 2012, 5:44 PM EST

Purdue v Notre Dame Getty Images

A wild Saturday in college football saw four teams fall from the rankings — Arkansas, after an improbable overtime loss to Louisiana-Monroe, Nebraska, after getting thumped by the upstart UCLA Bruins, the Big Ten champs Wisconsin, who got shut down by Oregon State, and Oklahoma State, who gave Rich Rodriguez a big upset victory that seemed unattainable in Ann Arbor.

Four big upsets that toppled teams with BCS aspirations. And four losses that should have Irish fans thankful that Notre Dame escaped Purdue alive. The Irish move up to No. 20 after their second win, opening the season with two straight victories after opening last year with two losses.

Before we turn the page to next weekend’s showdown with No. 10 Michigan State, let’s empty the A/V closet with a video round-up from the 20-17 victory.

***

THE HIGHLIGHTS

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

***

TOMMY REES

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

***

BRIAN KELLY POSTGAME

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

***

POSTGAME ROUND-UP

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

***

MAYOCK ONE-ON-ONE WITH KELLY

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. dickasman - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Keith, thank you for finally earning your paychecks the past few months, appreciate it! Keep’em coming babe!

2. domer77blowsgoats - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Keith why is the only player video of TR? Are you key noting the Rees family reunion or something?

Or is it hosting the Rees family tailgate?

How does Mo-Rees sound? Maybe the sound guys will play Enter Sandman when Rees comes in to Close during the UM game?

Golson = 2-0 as starter!

ND 2-0 first time in 4 years!

It’s a week after labor day and the season isn’t over yet!

Go Irish and to all you haters, would you rather be 1-1?

• nudeman - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Keith is bringing the potato salad to the next Rees picnic

• don74 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Nude,

You’re the best. I bet you are a relentless sales guy. Game watch for MSU, hope you are in. Still laughing.

• bernhtp - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I was actually over by the Rees family tailgate and Keith never showed up.

• nudeman - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

don
      MSU game watch might work out
      West Addison in DC Ranch
      I’m 6’2″ and Hollywood handsome; you’ll have no trouble picking me out

3. 9irish - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Just a few un-important things on the periphery. I liked the one with Mike Mayock. I think he is into his job and is respected by Coach Kelly. I liked Pat Haden, too (ironic, isn’t it?), although USC all the way, a respectable man.. and Chris Collinsworth was obviously influenced during his time in the booth at ND. (hope his son heals up…soon!)
    I like the current uniforms…the helmets are bright as hell, but don’t look all scaly this year. and the pants have Ara Parseghian written all over them. Not the goldish-tan look anymore. Good stuff.

just my two-cents

Go Irish

4. ndgoldandblue - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You know that feeling you get when you wake up the morning after a loss? You know that exhausted, defeated feeling that usually leads to avoiding Sportscenter or College Football Live because you don’t want to see or hear the pundits talking about another Notre Dame letdown? For some reason, when I woke up this morning, I had that same feeling. It just felt like a loss for some reason.

However, as the day went on and I saw the upsets from the other top-25 teams (to teams that they were more heavily favored to beat than the Irish were over the Boilermakers), I realized that my emotions had the upper hand over rational thought. As a couple of posters said yesterday in response to my take on the game, my sky was falling a bit too fast. You see, this is why no one should ever throw out the word “divorce” the same night that you have a fight with your wife. Just sleep on it, and cooler heads will prevail.

After an ugly win over (what has been in recent years) a middle-of-the-road opponent, I was ready to give up hope on this year. There were just too many head-scratching moments in the game that left me thinking, “This is no different than last year.” But, even doing all we could to lose the game, we still came out with a victory. Now, I’m looking at things with a glass-half-full perspective. If we can do so many dumb things against a team with as good of a defensive line as Purdue’s, then we may be able to do some really great things when we start playing smart.

But that’s what I want to see against MSU. I want to see smarter football out of the Irish. That means efficiency in the game plan. They need to improve their clock management and play-calling. Also, reduce the bone-headed penalties big-time. No more personal fouls and fewer false starts. Just, get out of your own way and play the game. Vary the plays enough to keep the defense off-guard, get the play in on time, and play clean, smart football. If they do that, with Golson as the quarterback, they will win some games. If there’s one thing that yesterday’s game showed, it’s that Golson’s athleticism and strong arm can make up for an over-matched offensive line.

Now, if I see that same stuff against Michigan State as I saw yesterday (in terms of poor game management and stupid penalties), then I’ll think it’s a trend instead of an aberration. And with 2 of the 3 games showing that trend (much less all of last year), the sky will start falling again real fast.

• don74 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Yep, about right.

I had the opposite feeling after the game. When TR came in an there was an overwhelming feeling of dread.

However, watching events unroll I sensed this game is a turning point.

If this game went to OT we were in trouble and probably lose a kick off. Instead, we won.

Everyone says it’s Purdue. Guess what? This is a big game for them. I remember we went there as big favorites and won 8-7, I also remember Montana pulling one out. Also remember the Purdue QB in recent years dropping the F bomb after a win. (he still may be playing for the Lions)

Kelly has something good going on. Not saying we will beat MSU but every week is it’s own deal. Ask Oklahoma St/Nebraska/Arkansas, We simply don’t know.

This can be a fun year if we let it unravel.

My feeling is Kelly has these guys in a good place and will keep them there.

5. nudeman - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Here is something that I haven’t seen anyone mention that HAS to make us all feel good
    Last year after 2 games, the Irish had (I think) 9 turnovers
    This year 2

Many of us harped on this all offseason
    If we didn’t turn it over at record pace last year, we easily could have been 11-2
    Turnovers and cutting down on the penalties was Issue #1 on my list
    Even higher that getting the QB thing right

Off to a VERY good start here.

• irishbornraised - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

exactly, lost in all of this is that despite all the pressure EG didn’t throw a pick. When’s the last time you remember no picks? We haven’t had any RB fumbles and we’re looking pretty good for turnover differential.

• ndirish10 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

nude, I completely agree, very good start. And the fumble by EG, that was a really good strip by the defender.

• ndirish10 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

In regards to turnovers.

6. nudeman - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

One other thing:
    They are BADLY in need of more speed at LB
    Against truly fast teams like USC, they’ll have trouble
    Jaylon, Anzalone, Deeb and Mattingly (am I missing anyone?) can’t get here soon enough

Calabrese & Fox, while worthy warriors are just too slow
    Manti seems much quicker, but can’t do it all himself

• irishbornraised - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

missing one? yep look to the top right of your screen.

• nudeman - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Top right of screen is Tuitt
        I was referring to LBs

BTW, one other thing: Shumate is looking like the real deal. Made a great break up of a pass

• irishbornraised - Sep 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM

sigh…. was referring to Randolph, the top right panel

• papadec - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

nude – I think irishborn is referring to commit # 20 – Doug Randolph. Another RKG that decommitted from Stanford last Wednesday & committed to ND on Friday.

• don74 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

USC is a long way off. Each week is different. We last beat them when Barkley was injured. Not hoping but we play them Thanksgiving weekend. LB run stopping is the issue this week.

• joeschu - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I’d love someone who knows more than I do to explain why not give Grace and/or Kendall Moore a shot at that will spot, particularly in passing downs. Having them rot behind Manti waiting for mike to open up seems dumb. Why not get young talent good snaps this year? I’ve yet to see anything from the Calabrese/Fox combination to give me any sort of confidence on the weak side.

• yllibnosredna - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Doug Randolph rounds out a magnificent LB recruiting haul. Randolph is rated in the middle of the stellar group. All (with the exception of Mattingly, I think?) are rated 4+stars by at least a couple recruiting profile sites. Have to like the odds that at least a couple of these guys will develop into really good if not amazing players for ND in the years to come. Personally, I think Calabrese has gotten progressively worse (even at stopping the run) since his 2010 debut, and his pass-covering skills are atrocious.

Along with the need to infuse much upgraded talent at LB and the screamingly obvious demand at corner, ND has got to do the same at the safety position. Was pretty bullish on the addition of Shumate to the roster, but he appears to be relatively fixed at the corner position. After Slaughter leaves, whom do we have that can really emerge as a surefire play-maker at the back end of our defense? And who is left on the board at this position for the 2013 class? Any chance of Redfield de-committing from USC?

7. jomilly - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I think my disappointment came from the O Line. That is suppose to be our strong suit. I kinda felt lied to. Purdue seriously man handled them. Not good when there are a strength. But saw a lot of good stuff too. Definately concerned about our O line this week versus state. They have a nasty defense.

• simmel65 - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I thought there were two issues with the O-line. The number of “blow bys” in 1-1 coverage and the poor decision making in the blocking scheme. There were a number of times that Purdue lined up 4 guys and the tackle or TE would help block inwards and that allowed an uncontested shot at EG. I don’t know who they thought would pick him up, as we only have 1 back in the backfield!

Clearly not our best game, but as many have stated we got the win. Lots of teams struggled yesterday and against even weaker opponents.

It will be interesting to look back on this game as the season goes on. If Purdue can knock of some teams, maybe this wasn’t as bad of a “win” as people have espoused!

GO IRISH!

• papadec - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

simmel – several talking heads have been saying that Purdue is a dark horse for their conference title. I believe yesterday’s win will be more impressive at season end.

• don74 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

In many interviews Kelly has said he will use TE’s off line allowing his five guys to handle the pass blocking. He went into Purdue knowing running was going to be difficult and relied on his five to take care of it. Guess what, their interior speed was winning. Second half there were different sets. Unfortunately one of our TE’s goes down.

• joeschu - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The good news about that game is that Harry Heistand now has a lot of very “instructional” tape to go over and work with his guys this week. It is a lot easier to motivate guys and improve in practice after a tough week like that, especially if you survive with the win.

That’s a really proud group with an outstanding, veteran coach. Let’s hope they make the most of their opportunity to come back strong this week.

8. ndirish10 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Keith,

Any word on the injuries? More specifically Daniels.

• bernhtp - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Daniels supposedly has a sprained ankle, but that can mean anything from a few days to a couple of weeks. Maybe even longer is a severe and chronic high ankle sprain. I guess we’ll hear tomorrow or Tues.

The good news is that Eifert passed all of his concussion tests and is cleared to play this week.

9. ndfanwabashman - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Yeah how is Everett Golson doing? I hope he recovers from that made up injury before next week. I have a strange feeling he will come down with something right before the game starts. Mike Brey er Brian Kelly might need to find a new starter. Anyone think it will be Hendrix?

• gtizzo - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

ND haters think that the ND fan base is delusional. Lets not add conspiracy theorists to that list. I would take BK at his word, otherwise he wasted spring practice. I would also expect a QB battle every year. The past 8 years of BK has coached he has had 7 QBs.

• joeschu - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

One only needs to go back to KA’s “5 things” article to see “a source” saying it isn’t a conspiracy, but the truth.

10. gtizzo - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I hammered ND a little to much in the previous article. ND did do a lot of things right and the guy who did a lot right was Everett Golson. The kid grew up during that football game, and showed a ton of courage. Much as we worried about the ND secondary after giving up 193 yards to Navy, ND gave up only 198 yards to Purdue. While some my say that isn’t an improvement consider the following: The number 2…now number 3 ranked team in the Nation (USC) gave up 322 passing yards to Syracuse. The Previous week that same team (USC) gave up 208 passing yards to Hawaii.

11. seadomer - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I think we all felt let down. If we beat U$C 20-17, we would be dancing in the streets.
    At this point let’s hope Purdue is really good this year and help our rise despite us not firing on all cylinders yesterday but now MSU (econ button OFF)

12. dickasman - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Guys just remember 8-5 and university of Phoenix online dot com bowl is our goal this year. You will all feel better.

13. fentocamarillo - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Nude-moron and goat blower,

You both need to get a clue. The crap about TR and the family reunion/tailgating is getting old and trite. The fact of the matter is that TR personified yesterday what ND is all about. Team, perseverance and attitude. The kid could have thrown in the towel knowing his days as the #1 signal caller were numbered. He knows in his heart that the talent that was behind him and is now in front, is better. But his head would not allow it. He didn’t quit, but he could have. He did indeed save the game, but that isn’t the most important fact here, is it? He stood up after being beat down, endured the boos and took it like a man. He rose above all the criticism and cynicism and achieved. And, now, even in victory, you find fault. Now comes the ultimate coward, Nudeman, hiding behind what must be your pathetic need for attention on this blog site. You erroneously believe that the follows of this site wait, with baited anticipation, your every comment. Wrong. You simply do not embody the true Notre Dame spirit and never will. You lack the fortitude and restraint to contain yourself. You crucify Tommy Reese, but in fact, you wish, in the deepest recess of your mind that you were him… A Notre Dame man in every sense of the word. I await your pathetic attempt to respond.

Go Irish!

• pubeman - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Dude…chill. I wish he’d quit the Keith-must-be-related-to-Tommy routine too because it’s old and not funny, but c’mon. 99% of ND followers aren’t fans of Tommy the quarterback; if he were fishing for attention he’d argue that Tommy should start. Nude’s an ND fan and makes valuable contributions to this board (probably my favorite commenter aside from the occasional lame-o joke). And, by the way, we all wish we were a quarterback at Notre Dame.

• joeschu - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Seriously… you need to relax.

Everyone here acknowledges that Rees is a good guy, an excellent teammate and developing in to a fine young man. He had a bad misstep in spring, and he’s paying for that mistake and doing everything he can to make up for that.

According to most accounts, he’s also handled his “relegation” to the bench with class. It has been stated that he has aspirations of coaching someday and feels he’s learning that craft at ND.

The sentiment that nudeman (and I) state is NOT that Rees is a bad guy. The sentiment is that he can’t play (turn on my Kelly-speak) “Championship football at the University of Notre Dame.” Over time, his skill-set doesn’t measure up vs. this competition. He’s certainly punched above his weight class and given good effort, but the ceiling is too low relative to other options on the roster.

That’s why Golson is the starting QB for the Irish.

BTW.. it is Rees. Standing up for the guy is admirable, but loses some steam when you spell it wrong.

• nudeman - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

fento idiot
      We might crucify Rees but at least we spell his name correctly
      Moron

14. loadofwash - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM

This team just might be as good as the group 10 yrs ago, oh that’s right they sucked too.

15. loadofwash - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Urgent update….. The Kia bowl will qualify the lady Irish if they can stay within 21 points of USC.

16. loadofwash - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM

In hind sight i guess they could have kept o’leary, Davies, Ty, or even the fat guy. I mean 500 is pretty much the same anyway you slice it. Brady, jimmy, tommy…who cares…

17. twebb2 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

After a couple of days to think it over, a win is a win is a win. Our boys pulled it out.

BRING ON THE SPARTANS!!!!

18. loadofwash - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

ND sucks and that’s about as simple as simple gets.

19. irisheyesnate - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM