Swarbrick, Swofford talk Notre Dame to ACC

Sep 12, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT

acc-football-logo

Here’s a clip of Notre Dame’s Jack Swarbrick and ACC commissioner John Swofford talking about Notre Dame’s move to the ACC.

UPDATE — Also added Brian Kelly’s reaction to the news as he spoke with NBC SportsTalk’s Erik Kuselias.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

***

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. jimbasil - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

What does that mean, revenue would remain in the ACC? Does ND play ACC games for free when playing in ACC stadiums?

Knowing ND wouldn’t play for free, this means, to me, ND football will be paid for playing in ACC stadiums and have in fact joined the ACC in all sports including football just ND gets to keep NBC home game money from the TV contract.

Yeah, this is a unique contract and ND still holds sway in football but not all that much in reality.

Why didn’t they just join up front instead of this charade?

2. jomilly - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It means nothing, same as always with a few more ACC games. Carry on smartly, not really much news when it comes to football.

• jimbasil - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

And when the ACC hauls in another football/school, what then?

This is a charade.

• mtndguy - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Jim, what’s up? I don’t get what you’re freaking out about. ND plays Miami, Boston College, Wake Forest, and future ACC team Pitt this year. That’s 4 games against ACC teams before this deal. What’s one more game? Especially now if we can leverage a game against another perennial top 25 team from the ACC like Florida State or Clemson?

• jimbasil - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

No freak out. ND is just not independent any longer. It’s not the teams ND plays, it’s the independence.

I don’t deny this is a decent deal, a much better one than others were likely to offer, but ND is no longer an independent. The independence era is now completely over.

• 9irish - Sep 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM

See, I don’t get that. Just as independent as ever, really. 5 ACC games, on a rotating basis? big deal, we play 3-4 of them anyway. We still have SEVEN games to play whoever we want to. It’s a good deal, especially for the “lesser” sports…we have, afterall been in the Big East for 17 years!
        The good thing about it from the football side is that is if this BCS, new playoff system (or whatever they’re doing) tries to stonewall ND, then we already have our foot in the door to a major conference.
        They could’ve done this and not told me, showed me the schedules down the road and I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the difference.

Go Irish

3. nudeman - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Long ago I overdosed on college basketball
    Dick Vitale and Billy Packer, thinking THEY and their insipid personalities are the story, going wild on TV over a meaningless January Wed night game between Vermont and Pitt. Or maybe Cal and Washington. Or maybe … you get the idea

I understand the ramifications on ND football, but right now this story is about 83rd on my list of 10 things I give a sh** about.

82 is the AL Wild Card race ( I hate the AL)
    84 is the Chicago teachers’ strike

Can we get back to a football conversation?

• papadec - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM

nude – why don’t you tell us how you really feel? BTW – I agree with you – except I’m a Yankee fan. Yeah, yeah, I know you’re a Cubs fan.

• nudeman - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yankees are so old that (fill in your own punch line)

• 9irish - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

…..so old that they have to hire porters to carry their championship rings around for them?

4. joeschu - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

This is a FANTASTIC day for Notre Dame.

It cements our independence in football and gives our our other sports a fantastic home. This is a masterful move from Swarbrick.

Nude’s right, it does nothing to impact Saturday’s result, but it keeps us out of terrible fits like the Big Ten or Twelve. Institutionally, we have a lot in common with Duke, Wake, UVa, BC, etc. Rivalries like FSU and Miami continue to grow/develop, and we get such better bowl scenarios.

Of course, I’m biased. I live 20 minutes from 3 different ACC schools, so I’m looking forward to overdosing on ND hoops, soccer, lax, etc…

• nudeman - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM

OK, very nice (stifles a big fu**ing YAWN)
      We’ve beaten the ACC thing to death; nothing more to see here.

Now then, could someone please breakdown tape of the MSU cover 2?

• nudeman - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

joeschu
      That snarky comment was not directed at you, bud
      All about the subject

• heisenbyrg - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Here’s an idea: If you don’t want to hear about it, then stop reading the comments on this post.

• nudeman - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Here’s an idea for you, Mr. BuzzKill: Go back to your Ladies Home Journal Magazine

• joeschu - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’m good… I’ll fully admit that I glow about this in the same way BK does when he calls Rees a “gamer”