Live blog — Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

Sep 15, 2012, 5:09 PM EDT

Irish Spartans

After an eventful week for Notre Dame athletics, it’s finally time for the Irish to actually take the field and battle Michigan State. As usual, we’re here with the live blog.

Notre Dame will have its chance to beat a top ten opponent for the first time in nine tries, with Brian Kelly battling Mark Dantonio after the two coaches split games the last two seasons.

Can the Irish move the ball against a stout Spartan defense? Will the Irish contain running back Le’Veon Bell? We’ll find out tonight at 8 p.m. ET.

Buckle up, join in the fun, and let’s chat.

***

1. vegasmark - Sep 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I like it Keith, let’s get this bad Larry going early!!!

2. domer2003 - Sep 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Will ABC be live streaming the game?

3. ndgoldandblue - Sep 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Nothing in my body tells me that, when this game concludes, Notre Dame will be victorious. Call it a bad feeling, I guess. It’s sort of like the pain my father gets in his right knee a few hours before it rains. It’s never a good feeling, and it’s rarely wrong. Man, would I love to be wrong about this one. Go Irish!

• agoodmedium - Sep 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Ya gotta believe!

• nudeman - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Care to update that post?

• ndgoldandblue - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Man, am I glad I was wrong about this one. Incidentally, I am so superstitious that I did everything the exact same way this week as I did the previous two weeks, which includes not shaving (since I didn’t have time to shave after my shower before the Navy game). And my wife calls me crazy.

4. zorichmidriff - Sep 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM

When Dantonio speaks, he looks like he’s getting his oil checked.

5. kiopta1 - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Great win! God be with you Manti.

• irishdrg1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM

God bless you Manti, we will be coming from southeast Texas to see the Irish beat up BYU, hoping to find a nice hotel available….The Irish look great….was at the Purdue game and looking forward to watch this GREAT D…I pray Slaughter has a quick recover and can get back soon, thanks for all you have done and continue to coach up the new guys…GO IRISH

6. agoodmedium - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Wow!!! Great Win!!! Is this the signature win we needed?

• papadec - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I don’t know about anyone else – but I’ll call it the signature WIN that I have been waiting for.

7. tony34343434 - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Most meaningful win in years, great game by the defensive line, they were all over Sparty! Keep running that ball and play good defense. 3-0 great night, next weeks game at home is now huge.

8. mtflsmitty - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

It’s not Sunday morning yet. But I’d say we all know more about this team already.

Congrats to BK, his coaches, the players on both sides of the ball (especially manti), and to all fans who’ve stuck with the team. Long season, but the trajectory is right.

Go Irish
    Go Ball State

9. mentoneirish - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Finally played defense for 60 mintues…

10. idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Now would be the appropriate time for me to say

I TOLD YOU SO.

We just got a sound victory against a quality opponent in a hostile environment….and we didn’t even play well on offense.

I didn’t doubt for a second that we would win. Michigan State is overrated and has been since that first preseason poll. I was actually surprised by how many TV personalities picked MSU to win. Having watched both of their games before this, I think that there was very little research done when it came to picking a winner.

Purdue will beat MSU this year. We’re better than our opponent next week too. However, they have a wildcard taking snaps….and he can change the game all by himself.

BTW Nudey….

Tommy Rees….two games played….ZERO turnovers :)

11. 9irish - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

that my friends, was a ass-kicking

12. bernhtp - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

ND just beat them up mercilessly. Sparty went to the ice bath completely black and blue, and is now weeping, wailing and gnashing their teeth.

13. kiopta1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

USC falls to Stanford and ND beats up on Sparty in their house…great weekend so far.

• papadec - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I love the fact that Stanford beat usc. The only downside is the fact that it shows that sc was overrated (no surprise) & Stanford underestimated. We get to play them both & wins vs both of them can only improve the ND rating. Pitt & Purdue also had nice wins – producing the same ratings benefit to ND. It’s gonna be a great year! GO IRISH!!!!!!!

14. ndgoldandblue - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

By the way, where’s loadofwash? I’d love to hear his perspective on the beat down that Notre Dame’s defense put on Michigan State tonight.

• papadec - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Where are ALL the trolls? So refreshing to not have to see their BS here!

15. mulepadre - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Finally. I am very proud of this team.
    They can hold their heads high.

• papadec - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

As well they should. It seems to me that both the offense & defense are improving significantly week-to-week.

• wisner74 - Sep 16, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Finally? There has been plenty to be proud of about ND football since Kelly arrived two years ago. His two-year record simply does not reflect how much this program has improved. He has turned these kids into warriors. And that was plenty evident before tonight.

• mulepadre - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yest true but something different last night.
        It was a combination of factors, perhaps mostly my personal observations, but the spirit I saw I hope will carry into the whole of the season.

Fr. Mike ’79

16. alsatiannd - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

For the record, my password at work has been nd20msu3 for the past 3 months. Not for tonight, but for 1988. Same score.

• seadomer - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You should change it to nd27ok17

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Sep 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Where do you work? :)

17. seadomer - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I predicted 31-17 but we did BETTER at 20-3. Really happy … no words now. Can’t wait to watch what Lou and Mark May (HAHA) going to say

18. kiopta1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Mich is next and at night…should be a hell of a game.

19. mtndguy - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Notre Dame’s defense was awesome. Four sacks not to mention the rushed passes, and they held MSU to just 50 yards rushing. The Irish secondary played well too. Aaron Lynch has to be kicking himself in the ass right now as he’s sitting out the season with his girlfriend in Florida.

• seadomer - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I’m also newer here and we all know what you mean but we do not mention THAT guy anymore

20. wisner74 - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I was at the Wisconsin game with my daughter, but I just saw the game highlights on ESPN. Is Sheldon Day OK? They reported he hurt himself celebrating but did return to the game. Unbelievable that he is a true freshman. Also, is Turk hurt? I’ll be watching the whole thing tomorrow on DVR.

21. ndirish10 - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Beautiful night!!! Irish dominate MSU!!! sc gets smacked!!! Dodgers win!! All I need is my Niners to beat the lions tomorrow and it would be one of my greatest sports weekends!!! GO IRISH!!!

• wisner74 - Sep 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

No weekend during which (if you can count Thursday night as part of the weekend) the Packers beat the Bears is a great sports weekend for me. That said, I’ll take the way this weekend worked out anytime. I love the Bears, but the Irish are my #1 priority, and going into East Lansing at night against the #10 ranked Spartans and dominating them as we apparently did (again, I have yet to watch the game) is very sweet. Besides, the Bears will kick butt against the Packers when we get them at Soldier Field in December.

22. simmel65 - Sep 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Legit win! Defense was awesome. And the DB’s came through as well as the linebackers in pass coverage tonight. Manti, the Irish Nation is with you! You represent us all well.

Go Irish!