Live blog — Notre Dame vs. Michigan

Sep 22, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT

Manti Te'o

After a long week of anticipation, Notre Dame – Michigan is finally here. If you’ve made it this far, stop on in and watch the live blog with me… and a thousand of your closest friends. Standard rules apply, but it should be plenty of fun.

If you’re here to watch the game online, you’re also in luck. Click here for a live web stream of the game. You’ll have DVR functionality, the chance to chat with me in the side of the video player, and a High Definition broadcast feed of the game.

It looks like the bad weather is behind us and we’re set for a crisp cool night of football. Sit back, buckle up, and get ready for another chapter in the storied rivalry between Notre Dame and Michigan.

***

1. ndfaithful - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Just have to look back at the comments I made on gameday of the Purdue game. Twice now – Tommy Rees came in and ignored the haters and did a great job. Awesome win for the Irish! It’s cool that Kelly pulled all the right strings again to gut out a win: Even with all the Monday morning coaches and quarterbacks that think they know the team better than he does.

Here were my comments prior to the Purdue game:

Also – after what I saw from Hendrix last week – I’m surprised to say that I hope Tommy get some work in a mop-up situation today. I may draw fire, but I can’t help but think his story at ND isn’t over and that he’ll be a good 2nd QB and needed sometime down the road in a big situation. I might also add that i’m SO happy to see Golson leading the team into the game today.

2. zorichmidriff - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

We’re 4-0. We (our defense) finally beat the Skunkbears. But, whoa, there, we got some work to do on offense. Let’s get it together before the game against the convicts, fellas.

3. rpbags - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

well the defense is the real deal for sure..held msu to 3 points, held um to 6 points and if we can get that offense together we could make some noise this year. i will enjoy this victory over lil blue and hope that we can get this qb situation figured out asap……dont thimk that everrt is making strides like he should be and tommy is doing what he does best and that is win…lol..tommy with more rushing touchdowns tonight then retard denard…..2 weeks to get ready for the u……..GO IRISH!!!!!

4. zorichmidriff - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

golson looked confused and nervous. tommy made a few plays. but, geez, the whole offense, rushing, passing, blocking, just looks not so freakin good.

Our D can only save our butts so many times. eventually, we’ll have to put up a lot of points, and we don’t have another Navy on this schedule (other than Wake Forest). something’s got to give.

sure, kelly’s playing the pragmatist, and doing what he has to do to win, but at what cost? he can’t keep toying with golson/rees. it just aint gonna work forever.

• 9irish - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Eh….I get your drift, you can’t keep fixing stuff yourself until you eventually call the plumber. But it’s worked so far. Golson definitely seemed rattled, especially after the FIRST pass.
      So we’ll see

Go Irish

• c4evr - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You said it… It reminds me of Willingham’s 2002 team with Holiday ‘managing’ games at QB while the defense seemingly put up more points than the O (at least in the Maryland game, anyway). That same year, ND beat all three of the same Big 10 teams just like this year, were ranked #12 at the time, and started the season 8-0, but were hammered by USC in the last game and by NC State in the Gator Bowl. That was the sign that things were going in the wrong direction. This stretch coming up will truly show how far the program has come since, arguably, the last high point this program achieved with that 2002 team.

• c4evr - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Another bit of trivia to be filed under ‘Annoying, but true’, Notre Dame teams since that 2002 season have lost at least 5 games in 7 of those 9 years. By that measure, a 10-3 or 9-4 record is still a strong step in the right direction considering the caliber of this year’s schedule.

5. ensirish - Sep 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Zorichmidriff, I agree. The offense needs to establish an identity. It’s been difficult moving the ball down the field especially with a combo of passing and rushing. Golson has talent, no doubt, but seems to lack confidence. The bye week should give some time to tweak that more.

6. c4evr - Sep 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

This dedication goes out for Nude to BK and his bromance with TR:

‘I Need A New Drug’ by Huey Lewis and the News

7. seadomer - Sep 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I not unhappy with the win.
    But why can’t we run a little more … personally I have not completely got ridden of the DR distaste out yet … ArrgHHHHH
    UMass ran more than us again Michigan … ArrghhHHHHH

Go D, we more than BAMAed them

8. norcalirish - Sep 23, 2012 at 5:22 AM

ndgoldandblue, well said. Many of my points that I wanted to make you already hit, including the high road. Important to keep that in mind.

That being said, I have to reiterate how amazing these last 4 years have been; it seems that the team that deserves it least always wins the game.

Now, before people freak, I’m not saying that we didn’t deserve the win…but that um outplayed ND. Likewise, the shoe has been on the other foot for 3 years now, but look where that (and big10 refs) got us…crazy. Just goes to show that the only stat that counts is the final score.

Just happy we got the win!