As winning continues, growing with Golson gets harder

Oct 1, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT

Rees Golson Kiel

After a week off, Notre Dame remains in the national conversation, ranked No. 9 in this week’s AP poll and set to play an offensively talented, but defensively flawed team in Miami at Soldier Field. But after watching the Hurricanes light up the scoreboard the past few weeks and the Notre Dame offense grind to a halt, there’s plenty to be concerned about if you’re an Irish fan. While an undefeated September certainly jostled memories of better days, young quarterback Everett Golson‘s understandable struggles learning on the job put a lot of strain on an Irish defense that’s held up thus far.

But eventually, an offense is going to break through against Bob Diaco‘s unit. As good as Stephon Tuitt, Manti Te’o and the rest of the Irish front seven are, there is going to be a team that establishes an offensive rhythm against Notre Dame and eventually puts up some yardage on a young Irish secondary doing exemplary work while learning on the job. And that’s why fixing the Irish offense is so incredibly pivotal over the next few weeks.

At 4-1, the Hurricanes look to be a formidable foe. Yet one look at their defense and you get an idea about the team Al Golden is trotting out there right now:

Miami Offensive Rankings:
Scoring Offense: 35.6 (37th)
Pass Offense: 328.4 (15th)
Rush Offense: 144.2 (84th)

Miami Defensive Rankings:
Total Defense: 494.6 yards (116th)
Rush Defense: 225.6 yards (115th)
Pass Defense: 269 yards (94th)

Miami’s defense is inexperienced, undersized and young. That’s a horrible combination and one that has Las Vegas predicting a comfortable Irish victory, with the line opening at 9 points but jumping to almost two touchdowns. Yes, one-time Irish recruit Anthony Chickillo looks like a good one and middle linebacker Denzel Perryman is back after an injury, potentially providing a boost to a unit that’s been nothing short of terrible this season. But if Notre Dame is going to be the team many hope exists, they’re going to need Golson to prove he can be the man for the job this year, not just in the future.

If you listen to the word coming from South Bend, there is no quarterback controversy at Notre Dame. But that stance is — and should be — incredibly flexible, especially if the Irish keep racking up wins. Building a future with Golson makes complete sense. But sacrificing the present — one that includes a once-in-a-generation leader and talent like Te’o — and an All-American like Tyler Eifert is tough to stomach in a locker room where many believe Tommy Rees is the best quarterback for the job. And while that might turn the stomachs of Irish fans everywhere, that sentiment isn’t solely that of the players. The guys drawing up the Xs and Os think there might be something to that, too.

Rees certainly didn’t deserve to be the presumptive starter walking into 2012. Not with the rash of turnovers he committed last season and the off-the-field trouble he got himself into this spring. But after getting booed when he stepped foot on the field against Purdue, the junior quarterback has done everything asked of him, closing out two victories and playing mistake free football. No, Rees isn’t the most physically talented quarterback on Notre Dame’s roster. But as long as the Irish aren’t willing to run the quarterback and get Golson working the zone read game, than its really a moot point.

Brian Kelly has made it clear that he wants to have one quarterback. There’s every reason to believe him, especially as he hamstrings his defense with a young quarterback learning on the way. But unless Golson breaks out Saturday night — another spotlight game against a prestige program in a unique venue — then he and Chuck Martin have a tough decision to make. Build for the future or go back to Rees and bet on the present?

Notre Dame’s offense ranks 97th in the country. No team in the top ten is within 30 spots of Notre Dame. Only two in the top 25 (Stanford and Washington) rank worse than the Irish. Say what you want about the under-performing offensive line and the rebuilt wide receiving corps, but this all comes back to the man behind center.

Everett Golson has all the talent needed to propel Brian Kelly’s offense to the heights many expected when he took over Notre Dame’s program. But with a defense that looks built to make a run, if Golson can’t get it done against the Hurricanes, it might be time for Kelly to hand the keys to the offense back to Rees.

214 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. gpatton90 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’m certainly not the sharpest pencil in the box. And not part of the football intelligensia that you seem to be a member of.

That being acknowledged, my humble ( albeit unqualified) opinion is that a coaching staff that has “no real belief that EG is the guy” and sees him as a “gimmick”, but starts him nonetheless, is problematic. As is relying on a bunch of “gimmicks” during year 3 of the rebuilding program.

That being said, I believe EG has more potential than TR (again, I’m probably in the uninformed minority in this respect) and will live in my dream world where coaches put the best players on the field.

If you would be so kind as to inform me of the real reasoning behind last year’s losses, I would welcome the opportunity to start to expand my limited knowledge base.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

That word “gimmick” struck me as crazy as well.

I’m willing to concede that there very well might be fire where there’s smoke here (re: a quorum of players wanting Rees). However just because a core of players might prefer Rees, that doesn’t make it the right move. Players are notoriously emotional in support of teammates, and it could be that Rees is more “one of the guys” than Everett. I don’t know that to be the case, but if it is, it partially explains this.

For my money if Golson is even just “respectable”, against Miami, he keeps playing.
      If he’s “awful” then maybe reassess. I sure do wish the next man in wasn’t Tommy though. He scares the living sh** out of me as a starter and I thought we were long past this discussion.

• ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Let me repeat this has very little to do with “being one of the guys”. This isn’t based on emotion either. I highly doubt anyone remotely dislikes EG. Kelly and staff have assembled a terrific group of talented, smart, hungry to win ballplayers. They just want the guy that will help them win. I am surprised a bit that Keith hasn’t brought it up sooner since it really hasn’t been that much of a secret since the spring.

• 808raiderinparadise - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I think Golson need this game. MIA has a bad defense and Golson has a chance to shine here in a BIG, BIG game for ND and MIA,

I think he will have his best game of the season thus far (not saying much) and I think he had plenty of time to be disgusted about his MICH performance. The kid just wants to go out and play and I feel Kelly will give him some chances deep again to hit some WR downfield.

After MSU i saw flashes of wowwwwwwwwww in him with his mobility and arm downfield.

He will get back on track …. I know Tommy has been a “decent” closer for us, but I think if Rees was playing thru all of these 4 games I think we would have lost 2 games already.

• chisports14 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Um, what games would we have lost with Rees as starter? He has come in and won the two close ones… so he would lose to Navy and MSU?

• ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What is problamatic is that the decision comes from the very top down to the coaching staff. When you wed the trend of the day you become a young widow(er).
      EG was a gamble as was A. Lynch. They all knew what they were getting and they were hoping that they would mature mentally and physically.
      I am curious about your opinion of EG’s potential. The QB needs to be a student of the game and I have yet to see any indication of this.
      Explaining last year would take too long since you seem stuck on TR .

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If you’re askine ME (?) my opinion of Golson:

1. Extremely talented physically and “electric” when he’s playing well.

2. Maybe challenged by some of the finer points (reading defenses, audibling, etc). However that isn’t the same as saying “he sucks at that stuff” or “he’ll never learn”. He does NOT suck and he WILL learn if given the oppty.

3. Basically he’s a Freshman and I just wish he was accorded the same level of patience that was shown with a vastly inferior talent last year. It took until GAME 12 before he was pulled.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

ndsugarsand
        “Let me repeat this has very little to do with “being one of the guys”. This isn’t based on emotion either.”

How do YOU know what it is or isn’t based on?

If you think there is zero emotion involved in these type of decisions, ESPECIALLY when we’re talking about players’ opinions you’re not being realistic.

The TRUTH is … YOU don’t know, I don’t know, NONE of us know.

Keith is closer to it than any of us and probably knows more than he can write without blowing up his sources. The reason there are 140 comments now on basically ONE SENTENCE from his article is that Rees over Golson is a head scratcher for most of us.

2. ndgoldandblue - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Wow…on to page three of the comments. Before Keith published this article online, I can just imagine him sitting in an office with a bunch of friends surrounding him. Right before he clicks the post button, he looks around and says, “Hey guys, I’m going to put this article on the website. Watch what happens.”

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Keith publishes this article, then … well, I just hope they ALL had very dark sunglasses on

• 9irish - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

man! I pretty much disagree with the hub-bub about this, but THAT is damn funny!

• 1historian - Oct 3, 2012 at 7:06 AM

very mature, nudie

a bunch of Notre Dame boys (NOT men) doing their online thing about the starting quarterback and you decide that the conversation is so earth shaking and important that it merits comparison to the bombing of Hiroshima

very mature

• nudeman - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

1historian
        Dude, lighten up.
        Having a bad day?

Jesus …

• mag1631 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM

It’s not Hiroshima. You can see it’s a test on ships in water. Just saying.

3. ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Nude, I am unsure where you have seen EG being physically talented or electric except in a few High School highlight films. His ability to execute anything more than the most basic plays has yet to be seen . In his defense we all regress at times while going on to eventual success. I never implied he sucked or won’t learn he just has not shown he can play with the big boys yet( in the classroom as well). And when you are getting close to that level a coach needs to decide what will get you a W. This kid is from an area that is loaded with talent and ND wants to tap that. You remember talking to the ugly girl to get to her pretty friend don’t you.

• dmac4real - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Well, his two TDs vs MSU were more athletic than any QB at ND in a long time. add to that most of the Purdue game. I’m not sure what game your watching if you think EG has not showed his physical talents.

4. ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Nude,
    Do you remember what they say about assuming something? You have no idea my proximaty to the situation and are starting to sound like those guys that pay thousands to participate in ND Fantasy Camp. If you never played at ND, worked at ND, or parented an ND athlete then you just won’t get it.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

ndsugar
      That’s an easy thing to do, what you’ve done there. Throw out a vague, unsubstantiated reference that suggests you might be closer to the program than we think. In fact maybe even an ex player. So now are we supposed to REALLY pay attention when you comment?

Come on; that’s weak.

UNLESS … you’re willing to offer up something that backs this up, then I’ll assume you’re like the rest of us: fans who are guessing what is really going on. No more/no less.

• ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Sorry, I don’t engage in pissing contests. My advice is you refrain from assuming.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Well Mr. Anonymous, why don’t you give us an indication of your proximity?
        Parent of a player? Work at ND in Athletics? Former player?

I just haven’t seen anything from your posts that leads me to believe you are an insider
        Lots of innuendo. No meat.
        Where’s the beef?

• chisports14 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I’ll chime in…. it’s a common misconception that Golson is some crazy good athlete.

I WILL agree that he has more athletic ability than Rees, but it’s not as much as people like to think. “Nudeman” I want to know why you think he’s so athletic? His rushing yards are I believe -21 on the year so it can’t be that.

He has much more lateral quickness, but just cause he’s an African-American QB doesn’t mean he’s going to be some freakish athlete.

btw, his 40 time is always unreported because it’s in the 4.6 area

• nudeman - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

chisports

Chime out please.
        Race has nothing to do with my observation. Maybe YOU should look in the mirror.
        Here are some things that go into my opinion of Golson as more athletic:
        I’ve actually seen him avoid the rush
        I’ve seen him throw the ball 20+ yards without a rainbow arc
        I’ve seen him sprint out and dive into the end zone for a TD (Purdue)

Tommy has done/can do NONE of those things
        Put THAT in your racist pipe and smoke it, bro

5. stealthy77 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

ND fans are clearly not thinking straight here. Think about this one second, neither one of your QB’s could even start on this Miami team. And you guys don’t see that as a problem?!? Have you guys noticed how Golson under throws almost every pass? When he scrambles he does it with his head down!! How can you find an open receiver when you aren’t even looking for one?!? At least Rees looks for open guys to throw to! Good luck Irish, you’ll need it when Duke Johnson has Te’o covering him on pass routes… LOLOL!!!!!

6. c4evr - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

As far as I can tell, great QB’s (Montana, Brady, Manning) have all been able to think on their feet, check down their receivers, and sense when they are about to get their bell rung and avoid it. Smarts doesn’t always translate to greatness, either. Amazingly, two of the best all-time QB’s aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the shed – if you’ve ever heard a Brady or Montana interview, you know what I mean. Mirer is the last ND QB that comes to mind having all those traits. Even Quinn (happy feet) and Clausen (just find Floyd) were lacking in some key departments. Rees has displayed some of those intangibles without superior athleticism and perhaps that’s why Kelly keeps going back to that well. Golson is still in ‘Deer in the headlights’ mode that will hopefully fade soon. Otherwise, unless Kiel miraculously gets a chance and overachieves, it could be back and forth the rest of the season.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I really don’t care about intangibles whe a guy keeps throwing the ball to the other team.

7. Robert the Bob - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

The fact that we’re hearing about dissension – indeed a “revolt” – in the locker room is more troubling than anything else Keith wrote (and I trust his analysis more than anyone else’s on this site). Last year Kelly essentially admitted he had put his foot in his mouth when he talked about his guys versus the Weis guys. One of the things I like most about him is his ability to learn from his experience. And I have been very impressed by the change in tone and his engagement with the players this year. So it really worries me that the locker room still isn’t harmonious. What gives? Is it Kelly? How can he lose a locker room when they’re 4-0? Where does the poison come from?

8. gpatton90 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

ndsugarsand,

In both the spring game and season to date, I have viewed EG as physically superior to TR. Examples are his ability to scramble (multiple instances), his touchdwon throw to Goodman (a throw I don’t believe TR could make), his ability to run (evident in the spring game, not sure why we haven’t seen it yet this season), ability to thrown over the top of the defense (he’s been overthrowing, but the physical skills are certainly evident.

As far as being a “student of the game”, I agree that he is not there yet. He did show improvement in clock management and getting plays off on time. In the Michigan St. game, I noticed him throwing the ball out of bounds more, rather than taking the sacks he had in the Pudue game. Small signs, but signs in the right direction. Her certainly regressed in the Michigan game. I don’t believe to be prudent to make conculsions based on a single game where he took a step backward.

At this point, TR appears to be a better student of the game, albeit he has had much more experience, so it is to be expected. Despite that, I don’t believe he will progress physiaclly and be in a position to make plays that will open the field and bring this offense to a higher level. And I also wonder whether I conufse his calm demeanor with being a student of the game. Although I certainly am not a football expert, it did not appear that his decision making improved during the year last season. This season he hasn’t been put in positions where we can fairly assess his progress. The second half of the Michigan game is a prime example. He did nothing to hurt the team, but did nothing to put the game out of reach.

At this point, I’ll go with someone that I believe has shown enough physical ability and trust that he can take the steps to show he is progressing as a student of the game, as opposed to someone who’s ceiling sofar appears to have physical limitations. And if EG doesn’t progress, we’ve got two other guys waiting for a chance.

• ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

The spring game illustrated that EG had trouble getting a play off and getting the players to the line.
      Do you really think that ND defense would rush him in a spring game with the same intensity of a live competitive game? Comparing his passing ability in a spring game is like comparing apples and oranges
      Real time execution of his “talents” has yet to be seen in an actual game. High schools are using more complicated offenses.

• gpatton90 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I didn’t say anything about his passing game in the spring game, only his ability to run. My comments on his passing were made in respect to the first four games of this season.

I understand you would prefer TR and we simply have a difference of opinion re; who’s a better fit right now..

9. ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

gpatton
    I prefer the player that helps ND win. It matters not how fast one can run if you can’t keep up with the speed of the game. He is a running QB not a QB that is mobile. Big difference. And frankly, EG is not that fast.

• ibleedirish - Oct 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

What the hell do you mean he is a running QB? Any credibility you may have had (not much anyway) was just lost. Nobody thinks he is a running QB, his high school film and stats alone verify that. He IS evasive, can avoid the rush, extend plays, and make throws that Tommy can’t. Its that simple. I suggest you actually watch the game next time, because as bad as he admittedly was against UM, in the MSU game we saw plays that haven’t been made by an Irish QB in YEARS.

10. sullyp18 - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM

If there is anyone out there that actually thinks TR is athletically superior to EG then they are fools. Nudeman, have you heard anything about the kids from Brophy and Hamilton committing? People that I have talked to said they heard they were really close.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Haven’t heard anything.
      Only one I’m aware of is that Devon Allen kid from Brophy. Not sure where ND stands with him and vice versa.

• dmac4real - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hes done with ND because were full at the WR position.

11. nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Is anyone besides me surprised that we’re having this debate again about Tommy Rees as the Notre Dame starting QB?

I am APPALLED at the lack of patience many have toward Golson and the readiness to give up on him. But NOTHING is more appalling than the apparent amnesia that has overcome so many here re: Tommy Rees’ ability to play good football against good teams.

Are we REALLY that close to flipping him the keys to the ignition again? SERIOUSLY?
    So much has been made about his Purdue heroics. He was 3-8 for 30 yards.

Please … no. Don’t do it.

• ndsugarsand - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

What you should be appalled at is a kid put in a situation so far outside his skillset. At this stage of the game EG is not a big time QB. With coaching and a desire to learn possibly. Everyone was so anxious to get rid of another 19 yr old last year and put him out to pasture and you are critical of those that don’t share your assement of EG.
      BTW when you throw the stats include the 2 spikes.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I have no idea what your deal is
        Maybe you don’t have a TV and just read accounts of the games from a Rees family weekly chain letter.

TR is outside his skillset

It is a travesty that ND had fallen to the level that this kid is a scholarship QB
        He is a completely below average talent in every regard
        I’ve NEVER bought into the BS about “checking us into good plays”
        If so, why was their offense so terrible with him last year?
        Against teams like Pitt, WF, BC by the way
        People call him a game manager. Bullshit
        A game manager doesn’t give it away 19 times
        They say he reads defenses well. Really? I have boxes of tape showing him throwing into triple coverage.

TOMMY REES IS NOT THE ANSWER TO ND’s QB ISSUES

• c4evr - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’m all for EG. As a matter of fact, I’m for EG even when it’s the final 2 minutes in a tie game AND when he gets off to a bad start like in the Michigan game. I’m still a firm believer in ‘good losses’ when you are building a strong foundation. If AH is truly and afterthought and GK is at least a year away, make a stand and give the reins to Golson. Rees is and will be fine playing the ‘Evan Sharpley’ role… just don’t send mixed signals.

• chisports14 - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

So you would rather lose this year expecting that “next year is the year”

• c4evr - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

It’s not about would I rather lose, it’s about building a strong program for years to come. Certainly it would be nice to send T’eo off to the NFL with a championship, but is he any more deserving than Floyd was? If Golson is the next guy in for the next 2 or 3 years, then let him develop with game time experience. Expect him to be the closer and not have him wait to be bailed out.

• Jennifer - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I’m with you 100% on this, Nude. Let’s see now….Exactly what is our current record with Everett G starting? And hmmm, what was Tommy R’s last year? It ain’t rocket science. Let’s put this thread to rest until their numbers tell us differently. … Next?

• nudeman - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Word

• chisports14 - Oct 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I really don’t think the USF and Michigan games had anything to do with Rees’ performance last year.

12. ndfaithful - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

wow. we really need a game to talk about. All this bickering and deep-dive analysis about a pointless topic…

Bring on the Hurricanes. We need a unifying opponent.

Remember the Pork-Faced Satan?
    Remember the fumble at the goal line in the emotional south bend victory?
    Remember Frank Stams?
    Remember Michael Irvin?

Bring on the football. These weekday coaches are all about to kill eachother.

GO IRISH!

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

LOL…I am totally with you ndfaithful. We definitely need a game to discuss, and I can think of no better opponent to rally the Irish fan base around than Miami (except maybe USC). Hey nude & ndsugarsand, if ndfaithful and I can find common ground, maybe you two guys can too. Remember, all we need to do is win. That’s all that really matters when you break it down. If this Irish team wins the national championship with a score of 3-2, I will be the happiest fan in ND Nation (and I don’t mean the website).

13. bearcatirishfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I understand Keith’s point insomuch as if the team keeps winning then should the QB position and possibly a game or two be lost to the “growing pains” of GOLSON. Here’s my issue, nothing tommy has done has proven he is the guy to take away the position. Against Michigan he did nothing spectacular except not turn the ball over, but can tommy really move the offense well enough to put up 30 points on the board against good defenses like MSU.

We gonna need to score to beat USC. Plus I think the majority of the better defenses on the schedule are past except for Stanford and Oklahoma. I think GOLSON at least deserves the chance to play against a wake forest or Pitt to see if he just had bad games against some good defense or just isn’t getting it.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Against UM, Rees: 3-8; 30 yards
      WOW
      Gotta’ get this guy some more playing time

• irish4me - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Rees was 8 – 11 against Mich not 3-8 that was Purdue and he hasn’t thrown one stupid pass this year, all of his passes can only be caught by Irish players. Yes it is possible that even Rees can improve. It’s silly to say otherwise as he’s proven it on the field. That said there is a lot of silliness over the supposed pulling of Golson that hasn’t happened and may not happen. Golson needs the chance to play to improve his skill set and with experience comes better judgement. Golson is the way to go for now, but stop bashing Rees; he’s done nothing except play smart this year. Your opinion is based on OLD information, update your Data Base with current data. We’re on the same page here, I want Golson too, but NOT at the expense of losing games that can be won. For crying out loud Golson was rubbish against Michigan.

• chisports14 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

We also had the longest run of the game against UM and Purdue when Rees was in the game.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My mistake: Meant to say “against Purdue”

You say “Golson was rubbish against Michigan”. Fair enough.
        I say Rees has been rubbish against Michigan, Maryland, Wake Forest, Army, FSU, Stanford, BC and others.

• chisports14 - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The only team we have played this year on your list is Michigan… am I missing something?

14. chisports14 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Can anyone tell me what Tommy Rees has done this year to show he doesn’t deserve a shot?

All I have read is about how bad he was last year

• ndfaithful - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

rumor has it that he whizzed in nudeman’s soup.

• ndfaithful - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

seriously. he whizzed right in Nude’s soup.

And don’t ass-u-me that i’m not really close to the program. like – really close. like maybe even the head coach. I won’t tell – but you shouldn’t assume. I’m so important that I can’t tell anybody. Shhhhhh.

Dude, I could be wearing a helmet and you’d never F’n know.

I could even be the star athlete that dared Tommy to do the actual whizzing in Nude’s soup.

15. don74 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

When does the Gunner watch start?

Let’s see the what Golson does vs Miami this week. It’s a soft defense and he should be able to get into a rhythm by having 3 back run at will and a receiving corp that will enjoy open space.

If he is relieved in the 5th with 2 men on and no outs we are all in for a long week before the Tree comes to town. Let’s hope he walks off the mound after a very successful outing.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

That would quiet this sh**storm for a while

16. tony34343434 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

We are 4-0, lets win now and not play for the future, you never know what happens next year. this should not be about letting golson grow, it should be about winning games. As irish fans we have waited a long time for this, put in the best guy for this year. i am no football expert as many on here seem to be but it seems Golson has a hard time making the easy throw. Sorry Golson would never have made the throw Rees made to Eifert against Michigan to ice the game. I am critical of Rees also but Quinn and other ND qbs struggled the first two years. Whoever moves the ball and scores is the answer i am sick of waiting for next year, with this defense maybe scoring 17-24 a game will be enough. I would play rees and if he is no good we have a 5 star quarterback waiting in the wings. Would always rather have the quarterback who can make the routine play then a QB that is electric and has trouble with the easy play. GO Irish!!!

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I puke every time I see comparisons of Rees to Clausen and Quinn in their first 2 yrs
      Ridiculous
      Quinn and Clausen had obvious big time D-I college football talent
      Arm, feet, acumen – the whole package
      Tommy has nothing

17. jerseyshorendfan1 - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Keith, I hope your compensation package is tied to the number of comments your articles generate. If so, you owe me a beer.

• Keith Arnold - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Sadly, no. But I have enjoyed everybody thinking that there’s a shadowy conspiracy, or that I sit in a busy office with colleagues who I bounce story ideas around with. I wish. Then it’d be like one of those cool movies where maybe Anne Hathaway could be my co-worker…

This is a pretty ridiculous comment thread. The point of the article is pretty obvious I think. If Golson stinks against Miami, it’s time for there to be a QB controversy, because internally the Irish believe they can get a better QB performance out of Tommy Rees. (Even if you guys continually want to go back to last year’s performance as resounding proof ND can’t.)

That it needs to be debated and argued to this level makes absolutely no sense to me.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

If he stinks against Miami, we’ll have to reassess I suppose
        But the thing that gives everyone here except this ndsugar guy pause is that Tommy Rees is the next man in
        It’s that simple. It really is

Honestly I’d rather see Gunner Kiel play.
        He’s not going to stick around 4 years anyway

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Nude, I would be really disheartened if we didn’t get the most out of Kiel. The coaching staff has to give him every opportunity to succeed, and, as you said, they can’t assume that he’s going to be here for five (if he redshirts) or even four years. I just hope the kid doesn’t transfer.

• dmac4real - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

What makes absolutely no sense to me is that “internally the Irish believe they can get a better QB performance out of Tommy Rees.”

….No wonder those pulled out another 8-5 last year.

• ndfaithful - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

well – thanks for the article anyway. We’re all amped up like a hungry team in the locker room before the game.

Anne Hathaway…

Nice choice, But I heard the rumors around the bustling office are that you’d rather start Keira Knightley. ;)

• chisports14 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM

RIGHT Nude.

Let’s just throw hell to the wind on our FIRST 4-0 start in 10 years and put Kiel in there to get some experience.

WHY IN THE HELL DOES EVERYONE THINK NEXT YEAR IS THE YEAR?? We haven’t been to a BCS bowl in how many painful years.

Sure Golson will have another year and we will have our D-line… but we’re also sacrificing our best Linebacker in a Long Long time, a first round TE, at least two and maybe even three starting OL. Next year is no guarantee. If Tommy can do enough to win I want to win. If Golson can prove he won’t throw picks in the red zone, then let him play. Otherwise I want to win right now no1 on this board knows the next time we will start 4-0 and have a legitimate shot of doing something this year.

• nudeman - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

chisports

If you think Tommy Rees is capable of taking this team to an undefeated season or even 10-2 then you’ve whitewashed your mind of all that has preceded this season

Think throwing into triple coverage, fumbling and not being able to evade a DL who runs a 6.4 40 is over with because this is a new year?
        Fantasy

Hey, but hang in there; I’m sure he’ll check us into a few nice 4 yard runs

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Coworkers? Nah, but I could definitely wake up next to this every day with a smile:

• c4evr - Oct 3, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Chisports,

What’s the point of winning at all costs now if that lands ND a BCS game where they get lit up and exposed that they truly were a year away. Are you so starved for winning that you’d sacrifice the possible solid foundation that’s being built at all facets except at QB. You may not remember, but there was a time when Lou Holtz turned down a bowl invitation because he felt his team didn’t deserve to go. That should be the program’s goal… Expect to win, not be a giddy teenager because you’re 4-0 mostly on the strength of the defense alone.

18. loadofwash - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I thought Tommy plays for the other team?

• c4evr - Oct 3, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I think it’s Nude’s point that he does from time to time. BTW, you’re losing ground LOW, there’s a new guy, sinister23, with better game and a better name stealing your thunder. Time to step up.

• nudeman - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM

LOFL

19. 1historian - Oct 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM

As long as those hideous uniforms are NEVER seen again I’ll be happy.

This just in – BK doesn’t make coming to ‘ND Nation’ part of his everyday internet experience

Imagine that

20. fnc111 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Excited to be 4-0. Didn’t expect it but how scary is it that the only position on the field holding this team back is the one Kelly is in charge of? He has been here three years and can’t find or develop a QB! Thank god he beat scUM, finally.

If Kelly could thump them again next year and get an offense sooner than later I will bow to him for a long time haha.