Live blog: Notre Dame vs. Miami

Oct 6, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT

Te'o Captain

It’s going to be a great night for football in Chicago, and while you might not recognize the team wearing multi-colored helmets, make no mistake, it’s the No. 9 Notre Dame Fighting Irish. As the Irish battle Miami, you’ll have plenty of ways to follow the action.

Again, we’re here with the live blog. Our friends at the Observer will be joining us again, adding some insight while helping me get to more of your questions in the chat.

If you can’t make it to a television, you can also watch the game here, using NBC Sports’ HD video player, with DVR functionality. (You can also chat with me there, too.) Or you can watch the game on your tablet or cell phone using the NBCSports Live Extra app.

(We’re also rolling out one more column — a quick reaction post after the game before I dig in for the standard expansive Five Things.)

Buckle up for an exciting evening. We’ll find out the Irish’s quarterbacking plans, how the stingy Notre Dame defense plans to deal with Miami’s high-powered offense, and if the Irish can get to 5-0 for the first time since 2002.

***

1. dickasman - Oct 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It’s freezing balls here in chicago! Lets go kick some major Floridian arse Irish! I’ll be enjoying a fine Asian meal at Anna’s Asian Bistro after game in honor of our fine Asian football player!

• irishbornraised - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

You’ve said this before, and I called you on it last time.
      HE’S SAMOAN! Samoan is about as asian as Saudi Arabian is Asian! Hawaii is about 70% Asian, but he’s not!

2. dickasman - Oct 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

My sincerest welcome to all of the inside the irishers! Hope you guys enjoy this great crooked city!

3. dudeacow - Oct 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Does anyone know what the weather will be tonight in Chicago? I hope to see Miami wearing neck warmers and huddling around heaters again. Roll Irish!

• heisenbyrg - Oct 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Dude,

You’re on the internet. Google the forecast.

• dickasman - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Dude, it’s cold. It was cold last night. It’s cold today. It ll be about the sunbowl game maybe tad bit colder.

• dickasman - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Put it this way. I’m usually 6 in. Flaccid. Today, 2.59 at best.

• shamrocknroll - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Keith, what’s it going to take for this clown to get banned?

4. mattwagner544 - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Keith, if you are right about Rees starting, congrats on the scoop. If Golson starts, though, I think you have to take a serious look at these sources of yours. Why would they mislead you like this? This does not seem to be an occasion where they could just be well-meaning but wrong. Kelly was definitive this week that Golson would start so it would take solid (or equally definitive) evidence to the contrary for them to tell you it was Rees.

If it is Golson, I think it is incumbent upon you, having reported this information, to ask your sources what happened, and report this back to your readers. This has been a distracting sideshow and I think both your readers and the team will be owed an explanation for how these sources could have been so wrong (or, dishonest).

You do good work, but for your sake, I hope it’s Rees. Otherwise you and your sources would seem to have some ‘splaining to do.

• nudeman - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

mattwagner
      Well put.
      Keith either has a tremendous scoop or egg on his face.
      I will say that I give him credit for putting out there what he believes is right.

And agree, if he’s wrong he should tell us wtf happened. Doesn’t have to name names, but something in the way of an explanation would be warranted

• ndfanwabashman - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

What happens first: Keith admits he was wrong and outs who gave him this info; or hell freezes over.

• nudeman - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I did not suggest he out his sources. No journalist can or should do that.

• irishbornraised - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

We never know, he could be working with the Irish to make the ‘Canes gameplan for an extra QB. He’s our silent hero

• bernhtp - Oct 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Again, we have some very poor reading comprehension going on here. Here is Keith’s exact words:

[quote]
      Those rumors were refuted by Notre Dame’s sports information department, but until the Irish take the field tonight, I’m not sure what to expect.
      [/quote]

Keith has conflicting sources. He doesn’t know what to expect. The point of mentioning it is that he is not certain that Kelly’s public assertion of Golson’s start is true, but it may be.

Before you criticize what he says, read it more carefully.

• mattwagner544 - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Still: if it’s Golson, there are some people speaking with Keith who either A) have no idea, or B) are fooling him. Wouldn’t you be curious what happened if it’s Golson – where this bad information came from? Keith should press them on whether it’s A or B if it is indeed Golson, and has a duty to report what happened (while not outing his sources), since he reported the information.

• mattwagner544 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Good scoop, Keith. Your sources must be good ones.

5. ndfanwabashman - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

It’s official, EG benched over a violation of team rules. Ugh. Go Irish, please

• heisenbyrg - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Maybe next time we ought to give Keith the benefit of the doubt, eh? Impressive reporting.

• nudeman - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Have to agree
        He obviously caught wind of this before anyone else. Well done Keith.

Other thing is this: EG must be one immature young man
        You have the oppty of a lifetime and you can’t even get to a mtg on time?
        A leader doesn’t make that mistake.

This might just be the beginning of the end of EG at ND.

• heisenbyrg - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Exactly Nude. Credit where credit is due. My first thought is this: What the hell are you doing EG? TR is obviously breathing down your neck, and you make the decision friggin’ EASY for BK. It’s probably too soon to start thinking about things like this, but maybe Rees is the bridge to the Kiel/Zaire era.

Still pulling for Golson, but he needs to get his s*** together quickly.

6. ndfaithful - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

yes, ND Sideline and Bleacher Report saying EG is benched for violating team rules.

Immense shit storm to follow on this site…

KA – you are incredible and it’s a shame the guys here don’t all realize it.

You da Man! (Ti)

7. ndgoldandblue - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I’m at the point right that I really don’t care who starts at the quarterback position. I just want someone to take a firm hold of the position. I don’t want turnover Tommy from last year (perhaps, he’s moved past that), and I don’t want Everett playing like a space cadet. Someone, please just step up and take control of the quarterback position. I still think Kiel’s going to eventually be the man (maybe next year), but he’s not ready yet. I would love, love, love to see a great quarterbacking performance in this game tonight. Whoever it is, I don’t care.

8. upthera44 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Good god, what the hell did he do to get benched? Talk about throwing a wrench in trying to iron out the offense and get some consistency.

9. mmcss690 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Holy shiznit!! FLA upset LSU!!

10. mmcss690 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Irish need a convincing win!!! Lets go ND!!

11. sullyp18 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

TR just announced the starter. EG benched for disciplinary reasons

12. sullyp18 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’m obviously late to the game. I think I a, going to be sick

13. ndfanwabashman - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

EG benched but WILL play? WTF!!!!!!!!!!????????

14. irish4006 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Could he be any more stupid? This was the perfect opportunity to show what he has and bury the QB discussion right here… What’s wrong with the kids these days? Get off my lawn.

15. sullyp18 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This sh*t is getting old

16. ndirish10 - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Keith,

This is why I have said that I love to read your blogs every day, except for “that one” this week. You are awesome. Golson, grow up, please!! GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!

17. notredave - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Atta boy EG! Take control.

18. c4evr - Oct 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

OK, ND looks like Oregon, but played more like Maryland most of the first quarter. Glad #4 is playing for Irish tonight. Almost turned off TV when Kelly started with musical QB’s until I heard about the rules infraction. It’s sad most big gains are on Golson improvising. Where is the running game? Golson can run on these guys… Cierre Wood is a ghost of his former self. Give C McDaniel a shot. Finally, good news is midway thru second quarter they are running well.

• ndfaithful - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

you still have people pissin in your soup even when we win. I think your other screen name is sinnister.

19. c4evr - Oct 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Can Brindza not kick it thru the endzone?? UM guys are averaging 30 yards a return and nearly broke one earlier.

20. irish4006 - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Damn you NBC and your infinite no. of commercial breaks… you are destroying the game.

• heisenbyrg - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

More time to get the buzz going man.

21. c4evr - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Mayock just said what I was thinking… This last minute before the half was Golson’s most impressive so far.

22. notredave - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

The game is finally slowing down for EG. Finally!

23. c4evr - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

These uniforms are starting to grow on me.

• ndirish10 - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Not the helmets, not the helmets. GO IRISH!!!!

24. papadec - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

The can of WHUP ASS has been opened by the Irish – and is being applied to the very overrated canes. Anybody heard from $1,000 Sinister? Get a life troll – get a life!

• bernhtp - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

He might return and say that Miami was way overrated and ND sucks. I might put $1000 on that.

25. c4evr - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Yes… Cam McDaniel can take a hit. This kid’s going to be special. 3 runs 30 yards.

• bernhtp - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Great kid. He should be first in the icebath tonight after that hard running and hits he took. He’s a real player.