Snap judgments: Notre Dame dominates Miami 41-3

Oct 6, 2012, 11:24 PM EST

Miami v Notre Dame Getty Images

If you’re looking for an eye-opening victory, dominating Miami 41-3 certainly qualifies. After Hurricanes wide receiver Phillip Dorsett dropped two should-be touchdowns on the Hurricanes first drive, it was all Irish, with the defense settling into its usually suffocating self and the ground game absolutely dominating Miami’s defense.

Notre Dame dominated the yardage battle 587-285. They were clean in the turnovers column. All in all, it was as impressive and complete of a performance as you could ask for, beating a young Miami team thoroughly and opening more than a few eyeballs along the way.

A few quick snap judgments before turning the focus to Brian Kelly and his postgame comments.

Tommy Rees did end up starting at quarterback, and it didn’t really matter. As I reported earlier today, Rees started the game under center after Golson was benched for a violation of team rules. The punishment was less than a series though, as Golson took over the offense after Miami roughed punter Ben Turk, and led the Irish to victory.

After demanding a solid performance out of Golson, he delivered one. He completed 17 of 22 passes for 186 yards, while also chipping in 51 yards on the ground. As most hoped, Golson rebounded after his performance against Michigan, solidifying the quarterback position for the time being.

***

The Notre Dame ground game delivered in a big way. After a much needed week off, Harry Hiestand’s offensive line delivered their best performance of the year. Both Cierre Wood and George Atkinson ran for over 100 yards, and the Irish put up a staggering 376 yards on the ground (the most since beating Boston College in 2000), dominating the game while holding the ball for over 39 minutes.

Cierre Wood broke the game open on the ground, delivering a beautiful 37-yard run that set up a short touchdown. George Atkinson sealed the deal, breaking away from the Hurricanes defense for several long runs, as he went for 123 yards on just 10 carries.

***

After surviving an early scare, the Irish defense once again dominated. Miami tried to deliver an early knockout blow, with Stephen Morris delivering a beautiful deep ball down the field to receiver Phillip Dorsett. But Dorsett dropped the sure touchdown, and another on the same drive, and the Canes offense never survived.

It’s another game holding an opponent without a touchdown, and another dominant performance for the Irish defense. Even without sacking the quarterback, Notre Dame chased down Stephen Morris for much of the second half and shut down Miami’s run game as well, completely owning the line of scrimmage.

***

The Irish look like a legitimate top ten football team. Sure, they’ll have another difficult opponent next week with Stanford. But the Irish defense looks like the dominant unit BCS teams are made of. Notre Dame has now held Michigan, Michigan State, and Miami without a touchdown. That’s rock solid stuff.

Add in an impressive performance by an offense that saw its playbook expand, and the Irish continue to play their best football in a very long time.

1. halfwhitey - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Great game. That’s all that needs to be said. I’m going to just enjoy it.

2. seadomer - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Let me be first, I am Officailly ON!!

In other news, the level 3 hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical depression and is headed southeast.

• dudeacow - Oct 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

You kept to your word! But like I said, I refuse to be on until the Irish are in the championship. But this team is pretty darn good.

3. simmel65 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

The running game was simply AWESOME!

Go IRISH!!!

• dudeacow - Oct 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Didn’t Riddick have a 100+ yard game too?

4. seadomer - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Quick update, No. 3, 4, and 5 all fell today

errr …. IRISH will be #6

Thank you O-line, Thank you BK, EG, TR, Manti, all staff, all players, haters, present and past domers, subway alumni, …. I AM JUST SO HAPPY

• bernhtp - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

They might have Florida jump us with the win over LSU. I suspect 3-5 will drop below us. 6 or 7.

5. ndfaithful - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Awesome and compelling win for the Irish!!! Just the way it should have gone!!!

Now I’m going to tune out for a few days while the goofs around here debate QB’s, playcalling, 3rd down efficiency, BK’s warts, etc.

What a great win!

GO IRISH!!!!

6. nudeman - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Loved Cam

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Yep. Next year, when Theo and Cierre are gone (because I have a feeling that Wood will choose the NFL when he has nothing left to prove in the college game), Cam McDaniel needs to get a decent amount of carries per game. And that means at least 10. I know that he’s light (at 190 lbs.), which you mentioned a couple weeks ago, but he’s also got a very low center of gravity. That’s a good thing for running backs. GAIII can run like the wind, but he’s very upright compared to McDaniel. Plus, look at Cam’s legs. They look like tree trunks.

He can and should be a very good player for us now, but next year, BK’s gotta get him more involved. If he doesn’t, it will feel like a blown opportunity. Plus, if he doesn’t get more involved next year, then when will it happen? He will be a junior with only two years of eligibility left.

• bernhtp - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Cam is a great kid, a talented back, and a real gamer. However, my guess is that he will still be behind GA3 and Carlisle next year. I hope they find ways to get him more involved because he is so, so Notre Dame.

• c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM

X2 regarding Cam M. The kid is a gamer and LIKES the contact. He almosted carried 3 Hurricanes into the endzone before he scored. I like Riddick, but I see Cam being a better compliment to CW and GA going forward.

• c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The play before he scored, that is.

• brazilianirish - Oct 7, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Perfect game. Five yards per attempt. Looks like brilliant future…

• dudeacow - Oct 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM

He really, really needs to get more touches. This guy may be the best 4th string (and was the 5th string until they decided to redshirt Carlisle) RB in all time. BEAST.

7. 9irish - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Well….I will say. That this may be a huge relief. A lot of stuff said here reminds me of people that watch the Military Channel too much and think that they know how to conduct military operations. Or old women that sit around and complain about how the mail delivery may vary by 45 minutes per day. Get over it. That was an ass kicking in funky uniforms.

Somebody there knows something about football, so shut your pieholes.

Go Irish

8. mpkennedy3 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Great Dominating win on National TV. We should be #7 in the nation when the new polls come out. All signs point to a legit top ten team. Now Manti and the boys just need to keep their focus and take it one game at a time. Up next Stanford.

9. notredave - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Just a great win tonight! I don’t like to look ahead, but I am sooo looking forward to being in attendance at the OU game.

10. nudeman - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Funny … where’s the bitching about the uniforms now?
    Loved the jerseys and the Gaelic style script

• bernhtp - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I figured your first post after the game would be an apology to Keith.

• domer77blowsgoats - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Seconded

• nudeman - Oct 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

And exactly what would I be apologizing for?
        Because I disagreed? Jesus …

Rees starting was purely a technicality, and frankly Keith made it sound like the word was Rees had leapfrogged Golson. Never saw a word about a team violation and a starter for 3 plays then out.

As for the kraut/goat, the term “idiot” comes to mind

• simmel65 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I hated the uni’s when they came out, but on the field they looked pretty cool!

• c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I think the 1/3 black and 2/3 gold helmets may be a secret weapon. The Miami players are so used to seeing symmetrical designs that it makes the ND player’s cut seem like it’s so fast that the line on the helmet cman’t keep up. Genius!

• brazilianirish - Oct 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Sorry, Nude. I didn´t like those untraditional and ugly things… Ok with the gaelic style, but it could be written only in jerseys, not on helmets. Bad golden painting, and a half one. Not necessary at all… Shamrock series should be in reasonably good taste.

• nudeman - Oct 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Helmets I wasn’t nuts about
        Loved the jerseys

• 1historian - Oct 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM

I still think they look silly

11. kiopta1 - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Or higher cause 3,4, and 5 lost today.

• c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

My prediction for next week’s top 10:
      1. Bama
      2. Oregon (but closing the gap)
      3. South Carolina
      4. Kansas St.
      5. West Virginia
      6. Gators
      7. ND
      8. LSU
      9. Ohio St.
      10. FSU

• irish4006 - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

LSU doesn’t look like a top 10 team, FSU even less so. FSU’s cupcake schedule was the reason many predicted them playing in the NC game.

12. mulepadre - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We have to feel proud of our kids :)
    We know that momentum early in the game is important and they almost got it.
    It seemed that for more than a moment the game could have gone the other way.
    But it was not meant to be.
    I have to believe that the other guys are having the bad luck (aka Dorsett).
    and that’s a change I’ve waited for a long time now to see.

Final accolades go to EG, Cam and the OL

13. zorichmidriff - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Keith, I’ve started doin Jamey shots every time you mention Rees.

14. notredave - Oct 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I’m still of the opinion that the uni’s were ok, but the helmets were butt fugly.

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

yep…not horrible, just kind of a “why?” type of thing. Looked like Pitt with weird helmets, but a one time deal, and with the results, I’ll live with it!

15. bernhtp - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Time to focus on Stanford. They’re a good team that can occasionally play great. They will be motivated, just as they were against USC. We need to have our A game to ensure a win.

• brazilianirish - Oct 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Yes. Well, this week they really play great in a tremendous comeback victory over a good Arizona team. But we´ll finish them off…

16. jcarr124 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Just announced Gameday will be in South Bend next week. We’re back.

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM

really???? wow….even going against the networks…that is a sign, isn’t it?!

• jcarr124 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Yeah. I was surprised at announcement. Interesting how this will work having ESPN on campus and NBC carrying game

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I thought that they should’ve done the MSU/ND primetime game for Gameday, because Herbstreit had to go up there to do the game anyway. I think the stock may be rising.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Not to take anything away from our Irish, but Gameday didn’t really have a great set of games to choose from. Next week’s CFB schedule is pretty weak.

ND-Stanford is one of only 3 or 4 games with both teams ranked.
      Kansas State vs. Iowa State (who is receiving votes and could be ranked next week)
      Texas vs. Oklahoma
      LSU vs. South Carolina (but they just did GameDay today with South Carolina)

Don’t be surprised if we see them again when we get to Norman, OK

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Oh yeah…I understand that. They are high right now and it is convenient. I know about their marketing “schemes”…it’s still good though. When the hell was the last time they were in South Bend? I’ll have to look that up

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

last time was October 15, 2005 #1 Southern California at #9 Notre Dame

They’ve been to South Bend 8 times, with only Ohio State, Florida, and Michigan getting more visits. FSU, LSU, Tennessee, and USC have also had 8 visits a piece

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM

thanks for the info…95 USC…ugh!

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM

oops…2005 USC. I was at OSU for the Michigan game in 2003 as part of the military to-doo, got to see some of the workings…pretty interesting.

17. sinister23 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I gotta give credit where its due….while I stand UNBUDGED the Irish have zero shot of a NC…that was a convincing win tonight! I actually believe the top 10 ranking.

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

sinister, you’re actually objective and fair. I’m pleasantly surprised. Although, to be honest with you, I’ve actually enjoyed your posts a lot more than that loadofwash moron. You may be what many people call a troll, but at least you’ve got a brain. loadofwash is just…bleh…I’m waiting for something intelligent to come from that guy. Look at you. I’m in such a good mood tonight that you’ve got me overusing ellipses.

Speaking of being objective and fair, it looks like Michigan’s defense is for real after all. After a slow start, they held our offense in check (for the most part) and controlled Purdue rather convincingly today. A lot of people had Purdue winning that game. See? It goes both ways.

• nudeman - Oct 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Sinister, I would welcome you as a poster if you were always a reasonable voice of dissent. I have no problem with a contrarian here; even an anti ND guy. Always good to get a 360 degree view of things.

Anytime someone comes here though, like loadofwash and just says “the Irish suck”, that serves zero purpose. So I salute you on this post, not because it’s favorable but because it’s reasonable.

18. jimbasil - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I liked the helmets and the uni’s. Pants a little too much like Panthers but acceptable.

Finally, a run game.

19. idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Nudey,

There ya go. Tommy starts, ND wins….pretty much a Mike & Mike in the Morning Stone-Cold-Lock.
    (Sorry, couldn’t resist)

Seriously though, maybe a little humility and a simple apology to Keith is in order?

• nudeman - Oct 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Second time I’ve written this? Why do I owe Keith an APOLOGY?

I conceded in advance he might be right, and would salute him if so.
      I did not call him names, say he was stupid, etc.

And btw, there was NOTHING from Keith’s sources that indicated this was going to be a start for Rees in name only. 3 plays and out to teach EG a lesson. They didn’t even bring him back in after the roughing the punter call.

Keith made it sound like the team had finally come to their senses and decided to start Rees. Hardly the case.

20. jgater1981 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Sinister, you just blew my mind. I agree ND isn’t there yet, and it will be tough to get through this schedule, but you never know.

21. c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Biggest surprise of the night – not how the speed of Miami surprised the ND secondary, but how quickly they turned it around and shut down Morris. If I remember correctly, he had about 100 yards in the first quarter. He got just another 100 total over the next 3 quarters. Really impressive.

22. thefightinfloyds - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Very impressive win, I love the way this team took over the game after a slow start. Definetly on the right track, I don’t know if we are national championship material right now but if we keep improving every week then anything is possible. No sacks but I saw a lot of 3 man rushes and the D-line was still getting penetration. Stanford will be a tough test because they’re physical and can run the ball well but I like our chances. I think ND’s toughest game will be in Norman, if they can beat the cardinal and get a solid win over OK then watch out ND’s BCS rating will explode.

23. ndirish10 - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Great win Fighting Irish!!!! Helmets were fugly, rest of uniform was ok. Outcome was fantastic!!!! With 3, 4, 5 losing ND should be top 6. Next up Stanford, who scored 54 on Arizona, but allowed Arizona to score 48, in OT. GO IRISH!!! Time to chop down the redwoods.

24. mountunionirish51 - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Dare I mention….green jerseys…

• ndirish10 - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM

How dare you. No, just messin. Why not, Irish are on a roll!!! ESPN has jumped on the wagon!!!! May will come out saying that he is a huge closeted Irish fan. Not that there’s anything wrong with that….

• 9irish - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM

gotta do the darker kelly green jerseys, with WHITE numbers, just like the 40s (or identical to the blue ones now, just green)…and just make them interchangeable…green/blue whatever…don’t have to make it some symbol or something. They are very traditional.

25. c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

ND is unbeaten mainly for these 2 reasons – Thru 5 games they are +9 on turnovers (compared to -9 thru 5 games in 2011) and have cut there penalties/yards in nearly in half (39 for 371 yds to 23 for 172 currently). If that trend continues, the defense continues to dominate (and I see no reason why they shouldn’t), and Golson continues his improvement, I don’t see why they can’t be in the conversation at the end of the season for a championship. Big wins against the Sooners and $C – and no late season BC meltdown (’93 still stings) – would likely put us against Alabama or Oregon. Either way, it would be an historic leap for this program that would rival any one season turnaround on record.

• irish4006 - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

H in history, is not silent. Therefore, it is ‘a historic’ moment…

• c4evr - Oct 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I owe you an humble apology.