IBG: Ramping up the stakes

Oct 11, 2012, 4:35 PM EST

Stanford Washington Football

Another Thursday, another Irish Blogger Gathering. This week, I’ve drawn the godfather of the IBG, The Subway Domer. When he’s not leading the charge here, or putting a purple-faced Brian Kelly on a unicorn, he’s openly judging our Tweets. He’s also just picked himself up off the canvas and announced his non-retirement from blogging. (As if he thought we’d just let him leave…)

With another difficult opponent in front of Notre Dame, and another game that’ll likely shape the ceiling of this season, I asked SD three questions and he was kind enough to answer them.

(You can see my answers to Twibby’s questions over at Her Loyal Sons. Check out Josh’s answers at Subway Domer, and Twibby’s at Strong and True.)

Here we go:

1. You, the Subway Domer, are a red-blooded American and a Notre Dame football fan. That means these first six weeks of college football season have been an era of prosperity you haven’t experienced in some time. Are you willing to quantify just how fun it’s been watching this football team start the season undefeated? Are you willing to let yourself dream about what could possibly be? What are your expectations for the last seven games of the football season?

Absolutely not. Fun? You have to be joking. I was stressing out the entire 2nd half of the Miami game because I WANTED that no touchdowns streak to continue.

With all that said, I can admit that I am a lot more satisfied with what is taking place than in previous years, but I’m dreading that first loss- whenever it may be. I can also admit to dreaming of absolute glory, so yeah… I am the epitome of happy confusion right now.

As far as the next 7 games are concerned, I truly feel that it will be more of the same. Kelly has been preaching consistency since he arrived in the Bend, and now it appears that benchmark is set for the rest of the team. It may not be enough to win every game, but then again… maybe that’s exactly what it does.

2. If you assigned an overall ranking to every player on Notre Dame’s roster (like EA Sports’ videogame), and had 20 overall points to disperse to the roster right now to make the team better, how would you allocate them?

I could be frugal with my distribution, but I like Chunky Soup.

5+ speed Motta
5+ speed Farley
10+ awareness Golson

3. Rank your excitement/anxiety level on the remaining games on the schedule.

I’m going to rank these in order from least stress to most stress, as I am generally pretty freaked out by game time for every game:

1. Wake Forest
2. PITT
3. Boston College
4. BYU
5. Stanford
6. Oklahoma
7. USC

Pretty basic stuff there.

1. seadomer - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Actually my stress level rises differently, say we are leading 13-3 in the BC game in the 4th, I would be more stressed than say 17-7 in the USC game cos I would like ND to play consistently better and play like their ranking suggest

2. seadomer - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Off topic,
    Why is the media giving Michigan so much hate, they lost to the No.1 and No.7 team so being 25th isn’t out of question.

Here is my troll report. Did not comment at all cos I guess stanford alums are pretty mild and have no humor and the only crazy stuff is spew by SEC fans trolling hard everywhere.

Somebody should explain to ANY SEC fan that just because you drive a Jetta does not give you the right to claim that its almost Bentley

• gtizzo - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The reason Michigan is getting so much hate is because they were suppose to carry the flag for the Big Ten. Losing to Alabama won’t have been so bad if the game had actually been close. Notre Dame was another big test for a team that should have looked better then they did. Herbie and Brent went into why the Big Ten takes so much heat during the coverage of the ND versus Michigan State game. Michigan State is another team that was suppose to help carry the banner for the Big Ten and ND made them look slow and one dimensional. Since Ohio State can’t go to a bowl or win the Big Ten title Michigan (and to a certain extent Michigan State) is taking the heat for there entire conference. The problem with the SEC is that the media doesn’t mind them losing to another SEC team. Since a majority of the conference doesn’t play any real out of conference teams they tend to dominate outside the SEC.

3. dudeacow - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Too bad Gameday is coming to this game instead of a competitive one. Tennessee-Mississippi State will be a more exciting game.

ND wins alot-not alot

4. irishbornraised - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Just a survey, thumbs up if u think the Irish will win, Standford thumbs down.

5. bernhtp - Oct 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I haven’t seen speculation of what effect heavy rain will have on the game. That is the current forecast.

My guess is that this favors Stanford; it removes some of our speed advantage. It removes some of the home field (crowd) advantage. It reduces the ESPN Gameday festivities.

• nudeman - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Worrying about who the weather favors = spltting hairs. Red herring

As always, the team that plays the best will win, regardless of conditions
      Don’t turn it over, and as Mike Ditka used to say “put points on the board and take time off”

6. Jennifer - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Thanks, Mr. Nudeman. You brought my smile back. I’d much rather go to bed with the most famous fight song in America ringing in my ears than hearing all this chatter about the VP debate! I can’t figure out why I do this to myself!

7. warriorking1112 - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

The Irish will destroy the tree on Saturday and shut them out!! This defense needs a Badass nickname!! The running game will dominate and open up the passing lanes for some missile td’s!! I wanna see Cam get at least 12 rushing play in!! HE REMINDS ME OF A SMALL JOHN RIGGINS!!! BY HIS SENIOR YEAR HE DEF WILL WIN A HEISMAN!!! STANFORD-0 ND-49
    That being said I think that with a blowout cut the tree down and make wood chips win the Irish will be ranked number 1 in the BCS ON SUNDAY!!! ONE GAME AT A TIME BUT MARK MY WORDS WE WILL BE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS THIS YEAR!!! HAIL TO THE IRISH EMBARRASS THE CARDINAL ON SAT!! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS DESTROY THE KINGS ON SUNDAY

8. rbolling - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Has anyone ever seen warriorking1112 and 8-Ball the Clemson Tiger in the same room? Didn’t think so.

Go Irish!!