Set your DVR: Onward Notre Dame

Oct 13, 2012, 4:23 AM EST

Michigan v Notre Dame Getty Images

Usually a game between highly ranked opponents on a national stage is enough to get you excited. But for those of us that spend far too much time following the Fighting Irish, today gives you a unique opportunity to take a look behind the curtain of one of college football’s most storied programs.

An hour before kickoff, NBC will air the NFL Films produced Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field. Produced in coordination with Fighting Irish Digitial Media, it’s an unprecedented one-hour look at the Notre Dame football program by the legendary crew at NFL Films, the same people who bring us Hard Knocks.

“It’s the most in-depth, behind the scenes look at a week in the life of the Notre Dame football program,” said NFL Films senior coordinating producer Ross Ketover.

For a program that keeps practices closed to media, guard depth chart developments and the program’s inner-workings like state secrets, the opening up of life both on and off the field for a prestigious group like NFL Films is a pretty wonderful development.

You’ll be in team meeting rooms, seeing closed-door game planning for Michigan and Miami. You’ll have a closer look at locker room life at The Gug. Instead of hanging on frame-by-frame analysis of UND.com videos, you’ll have coaches and players mic’d for sound in both practice and games as the Irish won an emotional battle with Michigan and had a resounding triumph in Soldier Field.

With the final cut still being fleshed out as late as Friday afternoon, it’s as close to a real-time look at life inside Notre Dame football as we’ve ever seen. Filled with access to pregame, halftime, and postgame locker room access for the wins over the Wolverines and Hurricanes, it’ll be a terrific opportunity too see more than just Brian Kelly at a podium addressing the media.

Even if this wasn’t airing on NBC, I’d be the first to shill for a project like this. As someone that listens to NFL Films soundtracks for enjoyment and has watched just about every episode of Hard Knocks in the history of the show, getting the inside treatment on a football program I spend hours a day trying to dig into by NFL Films is a treat. It’s a tremendous opportunity for everyone from beat reporters to casual fans to see what life is like for the Fighting Irish during this resurgent season.

***

1. yaketyyacc - Oct 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Coach Kelly said it all. “we have worked too hard….” Thanks Keith. Now, let us be ready to cheer the Notre Dame Team to VICTORY! THE IRISH ARE COMING!

2. NotreDan - Oct 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Keith please be sure to post a link where we can purchase this on DVD after the game.

GO IRISH!!!!

3. kiopta1 - Oct 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I am pumped! Where is my helmet coach?

• dickasman - Oct 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Me too, I just watched visanthe shiancoe footage in locker room so extra pumped. Gimme my jock strap and cup coach

4. bernhtp - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM

re: “…one of college football’s most storied programs.”

Please. There is not controversy here. We are THE most storied program. No need to hide from it. Wear it proudly.

5. joeschu - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Not being played in Raleigh, NC because of an earlier SEC cellar dweller game. I swear NBC17 hates us. Do they not understand we’re coming to the ACC?

Have to wait for the Wed night showing on NBCSN.

NBC17 sucks. Go Irish!

6. nudeman - Oct 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Keith
    This is great. I had forgotten all bout it and will definitely set the DVR.

BTW, congratulations on getting “fleshed out” right.
    The idiots of the world speak and write “flushed”. Annoying to no end.

7. ndnut - Oct 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

@joeschu
    I feel your pain from up here in Sioux Falls, SD. KDLT decided it was worth airing the University of South Dakota AT Missouri State from 1-4, cutting into nearly half the game as well. This game is IN MISSOURI! It’s not like they’re driving one hour to the DakotaDome, rather they are setting up cameras in Missouri. The game is aired online at NBC Sports right?

• andy44teg - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

@ndnut…I live in Winner, SD….I’m pretty pissed right now!!!! WTF is KDLT’s problem???

• schnow - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I just sent them a complaint via their contact tab on their website. I’m hoping this does not become a regular occurrence and I figured if enough people made a fuss they may actually avoid these shenanigans. I mean, the two teams combined for one victory entering that game.

8. kapnd73 - Oct 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Keith, thanks for reminding us about the “Onward Notre Dame” special. Had a lump in my throat and misty eyes through most of it, especially hearing Manti’s tearful thank-you to the crowd. Tough moments, fun moments, even some Beethoven played on keyboard. Very inspirational! GO IRISH!!!

9. jamesleddy - Oct 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

How can I get a copy othi program or when will it be aired again