Snap judgments: Notre Dame 17, BYU 14

Oct 20, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT

Joe Sampson, Theo Riddick

Perhaps it was the most elaborate trap ever set. Convinced there was nothing to worry about after discussing a potential trap game all week, the No. 5 Fighting Irish fell into one anyway. Looking sloppy throughout the game’s first 30 minutes before scoring the only 10 points of the second half, Notre Dame escaped against BYU, winning 17-14 on Saturday afternoon.

Before we get to the five things, let’s answer a few pressing questions.

Tommy Rees got the start, and looked strong early, finding Tyler Eifert early and often as he marched the Irish down the field for an opening drive that stalled out after a penalty and a missed Kyle Brindza field goal. Rees capped off the first quarter with a nice touchdown drive that ended with an Eifert touchdown, and the Irish looked to be rolling.

And then the offense stalled out. Notre Dame didn’t complete a pass for the next 30 minutes, when he lofted a pretty deep ball down the sideline to TJ Jones, who made the catch in one-on-one coverage.

The offense showed similar limitations with Rees in the game, likely a product of the junior’s skill set as well as a stingy BYU defense. And Kelly answered the quarterback controversy question quickly, telling NBC’s Alex Flanagan that Everett Golson was starting against Oklahoma.

Tommy Rees played a lot like Tommy Rees. He made some good plays, some bad, and didn’t get much help when Davaris Daniels let a easy catch hit off his face mask and volley into a BYU defender’s arms for an interception.

The Irish controlled the line of scrimmage, but had their share of negative plays. Rees was only sacked once, but the Cougars had six tackles-for-loss this afternoon. The offense looked confused, sluggish, and out of sync until they took control physically in the game’s final quarter.

There was another false start on Mike Golic, though this one had Kelly’s ire directed at Braxston Cave. There were missed blocks, most notably on three shaky runs after Theo Riddick ran the Irish into a first and goal situation.

BYU is the type of defense that makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. While the Irish won the battle up front against an undersized unit, the Cougars made their fair share of plays as well.

Can the Irish offensive line dominate the line of scrimmage? Yes. Yes they can. The Irish ran for 270 yards against the Cougars, with Theo Riddick leading the way. I have been tough on Riddick the past few weeks, who came into the game averaging just 3.8 yards a carry. But Riddick provided the offense a big spark, breaking a 55-yard run after making a great individual effort and breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Cierre Wood also played his best game of the season, running for 114 yards on 18 carries. With the game on the line, the Irish put the game on the running game’s back, and the Irish came through when it counted.

A sloppy win might be just what the doctor ordered. If you didn’t know any better watching the first half, this team might have been reading their press clippings. Uncharacteristic penalties by Troy Niklas and Matthias Farley. A defense that lost the laser focus it possessed the past month. Even production intros that showed a team confident, comedic and loose.  You want a recipe for tripping over your own feet? The Irish executed it to a tee this afternoon.

Still, Brian Kelly wanted his team to know after the game how important that victory was and how tough that BYU team was that it beat. If only to let this team feel good about the win today, so they can get humbled tomorrow in film review. No question, the Irish didn’t play their best in the win. But if you’re looking for a good way to keep your head down in practice this week, the Irish delivered it.

As Notre Dame prepares to play probably its most high-profile game since the 2005 USC game, it’ll likely be a focus on the basics this week. Something that has to have Kelly and company very happy.

1. ndfaithful - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Nice to see them get the Win.
    They looked like the better team, but very sloppy when it comes to penalties.
    It was great to see them run the ball well against a solid team and it was BY FAR Theo’s best game ever.

Way to go Irish!

And – coach Kelly has plenty of film to use to get their attention before the Oklahoma game. I know everyone on national coverage will say they’re not impressive. But I don’t think any team in America wants to play ND. I know their winning ugly, but I think they can beat Oklahoma.

GO IRISH!

2. larz1 - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Keith,

Do you still feel that Rees is the most effective QB on the Irish roster?

• dmacirish - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM

i wont speak for keith here, i am sure he can do that for himself. i will say in all the articles that i have read – and i read all the articles – no one said tommy is the best quarterback. i can be wrong as i am once a year and i havent been yet this year. (haha joking but thumbs down option is below) i remember a lot of :
      -tommy is all that bad
      -tommy is good to have at our disposal
      -a mix of two quarterbacks with the different skill sets is good
      -the team has faith even if tommy is in there
      -the team and coach are confident in tommy and golson
      -etc.

• dmacirish - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

check that
        -tommy is NOT all that bad

*thank you for understanding the mistake there

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The mistake was correcting your initial statement
        And yes … I understand
        1 pass completed after the 1st qtr says it all

• larz1 - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

did you read the article before the game? I asked Keith if he still believes that Rees is the most effective QB, that is a direct quote. Here is the complete quote

“But I do think it’s time, especially with the Irish in rarefied air right now, to figure out how to use the team’s most effective quarterback each week, instead of just saving him for high-pressure, high-leverage situations.”

That’s why I asked the question, does he still believe that Rees is the most effective QB, Keith wrote that before the game

I also said in another post we are very fortunate to have Tommy, I simply don’t agree that he is the most effective QB on the team

• larz1 - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

btw, my previousl comment was in reply to dmacirish, didn’t post where I thought it would post!

• dmacirish - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

i think there is a difference between the “best” and the “most effective”. sometimes your best quarterback is not being effective. sometimes your most effective quarterback is not your best. understanding the difference is what makes an intelligent man different then nude man.

*disclosure i did not actually reference the person with the handle “nudeman” or directly insult anyone there as i did include a space between “nude” and “man” which would reference only a man with no clothes on. any misunderstanding is by the readers fault alone.

• larz1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

dmacirish,

this is in response to your Oct 22 post @ 8:51 am

I’m not sure why you are engaging in a discussion about the difference between best and effective. Keith never said that Rees was the best he said he was the most effective.You were the only one to bring in the term best.

It is pretty obvious that while effective and best are often related they aren’t always the same and the most effective QB is not always the best QB. The question that I asked Keith and you responded to, was: does Keith still think that Rees is the most effective QB. There was never a discussion of who the best QB is, I’m not sure why you brought it up or why you continue to bring it up.

I don’t have a problem with Tommy Rees at all. However, for the record, I think Golson is the most effective QB and the best QB. I didn’t think Tommy was overly effective on Saturday.

• dmacirish - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

larz your original comment on october 20 at 7:45 said

“I’m curious if the locker room and coaching staff sources you cited a few weeks ago saying that they considered Rees the best QB on the team still feel that way.”

can’t highlight or bold the letters b-e-s-t in that sentence but kind of feel that is the word best. what’s your opinion? anyway i am done with this little debate.

• larz1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

dmacirish

you said in your original comment: “i will say in all the articles that i have read – and i read all the articles – no one said tommy is the best quarterback. i can be wrong as i am once a year and i havent been yet this year.”

below is a quote from Keith’s article on Oct 1. I can’t hilight the word b-e-s-t but I wish I could as you said you you read ALL the articles. Here is the direct quote form Keith’s article on Oct 1:

tough to stomach in a locker room where many believe Tommy Rees is the best quarterback for the job. And while that might turn the stomachs of Irish fans everywhere, that sentiment isn’t solely that of the players. The guys drawing up the Xs and Os think there might be something to that, too

I do see the word best in there.

• larz1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

dmacirish,

There is no queston I used the word best in my orignial question, I was 100% wrong to say that you brought in the term best into the conversation it was already there. I thought you were saying that Keith was calling Rees the best QB, my mistake.

What I should have said was that my original question was in no way an attempt to debate the difference between best and effective and in my opinion it is a moot point anyway because Golson is both (there is an argument to be made against that for sure). I was curious if Keith and his sources have changed their mind after BYU.

Even so, Keith clearly quoted sources that said Rees is the best QB for the job even if you don’t recall it

• larz1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

last point, love that you called me on my obvious error and gave me the buisness, I would have done the same! Lol, I should have re-read my comment before posting! Lol, good battle dmacirish! At the end of the day we are 7-0 and life is good

3. joeschu - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Fantastic to get to dispense with “The Legend of Tommy” while still getting the W. The guy who’s supposed to be a coach on the field had a tiny little gameplan, had to burn TO’s and checked into negative plays several times. He is who he is. A great teammate, an asset to Notre Dame, and a competent back-up. He isn’t the first, best option.

I’m going to choose to believe that BK was truly concerned for Everett’s health. Given the heightened awareness of the damage repeat concussions can have, it really says something to keep his best QB on the bench, even when things were looking pretty bad.

My favorite coaching mentor once told me that the best situation that could present itself is when you can chew guys out with a lead. If you can win and teach, that’s huge. Let’s hope that’s the case here.

• heartofgoldandblue - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Agree completely,
      Thought it was pretty clear before but now even more now that Tommy is a great backup and not a great starter. Love the guy but is it me or are 3/4′s of Tommy’s completions great catches? I just think he’s always struggled with either a bad throw (inaccuracy) or forcing it into coverage whether it’s Eiffert or Floyd last year. Again love the kid but I think it’s clear why Everette is the guy. Go Irish!!!!

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It’s not just you. Rees should be driving Eifert to classes and paying his rent.

• bernhtp - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM

He does drive Eifert to school and helps pay his rent. They live in the same house off campus.

• larz1 - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

agreed, Rees is a great teammate and we are fortunate to have him, not many teams can win a tight game against a good defense with their back up QB. However IMO, I disagree with Keith, he is not the most effective QB on the roster

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

joeschu, 100% on point
      They won and I’ll take a win anytime WITH Rees vs. a loss WITHOUT him. But he does absolutely nothing to elevate the team’s play
      Even the passes he completes that travel more than 10 yards are rainbows, and if you think that works against OK and USC who have DBs who run 4.3 40s, you’re crazy

Missed several open throws and was a statue in the pocket
      When they took over the game in the 4th qtr it was because he was handing the ball off to 2 guys who rushed for 100 yds ea

I’m watching OK destroy KU right now
      If ND plays like that on offense next week they will leave Norman 7-1

Sorry if anyone feels like I’m peeing in their Cheerios. Just give me a thumbs down
      Point is, the stakes are elevated, we’re not trying to win 8+ games anymore
      They should have buried BYU. And their offense is the reason they didn’t
      I think we can put that “thriving” stuff to rest now

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM

BTW, Crist looks unimaginably bad
        Has Ron Powlus disease – gets a little worse every time out
        Missed a WIDE OPEN rb for a TD on a little 10 yard swing pattern
        Threw it at his shoe tops of course. And behind him
        Then coughed it up on 3rd down and OK returned it for 60 yards, then scored

God he’s awful
        WTF happened?

• irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Nude one hundo on point. Rees completed 1 pass (lob jump ball) after the 1st quarter. Thats one pass!!!! To have no arm and be inaccurate defies belief. Kelly finally pulled his head out and decided to just run the ball and see what happens. The problem is this is barely working and allowing for no room for error against very questionable teams and will not be good enough agains Sooner nation or USC….If i could have one win I want USC though. I agree this is a great year in comparison to the last decade of mediocrity but to get to the next level and justify the high bcs ranking we need more. We have the defense and thats it. No on special teams, no on offense. Good teams crush non ranked teams….Florida beat the #7 team by 30 today…thats all I am saying.

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yeah, if they had buried BYU, they woulda got credit for 2 Wins instead of 1, right?
        If I were a Cougar(And all BYU female fans ARE Cougars, younger brothers!), I would feel like I HAD been buried in that second half. And I would be right. If 7-0 isn’t thriving, what is?

• irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Seriously Thriving? Maybe a giant Horseshoe hanging from somewhere…Purdue last second FG, Stanford hotly debated goal line stand, Today eaked it out…Michigan by 7…the only blow outs were Navy and Miami….MSU debatable…We have only scored over 20 points in a game twice this year! Thank the 7-0 to the defense and alot of luck. On top of that still averaging 3 personal fouls a game, false starts, premature time out taking etc.

Side note Crist is really bad I was wrong on that one. I quit watching after KU 4th game. I wanted him to have a big year and an opportunity to play at the next level. Seems unlikely. Has anyone heard anything on the development of Gunner?

• dmac4real - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Puma:

You said that the running game is “Barely working.”

While it hasnt been great all year, you picked the wrong game to say that.

The boys just rushed for 270 (!) yards against one of the best rush defenses (statistically) in the nation.

• irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

DMAC No I meant the overall offensive plan we are barely winning these games against lesser teams. To put that kind of rush yardage up on BYU was definitely impressive. I’m just saying to be the alleged 5th best team in the country and complete 1 pass after the first quarter and win by 3 against an unranked team is not impressive. I’m to the point now where if Rees is the option that we should seriously consider going old school Holtz and just rush every down. Had we done that the whole game it might have been a blow out.

• dmac4real - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Fair enough. That might even be a little over dramatic, but it is hard to disagree with anything specifically.

My misunderstanding. Go Irish.

4. rpbags - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Good to get the win and to go 7-0 but lets keep it real….If we play like that next week we will lose by 30 points. I just figured by this time in the BK offense that we would be much further along than we are now. I think we looked like we were in mud most of the game and thank goodness our defense is so awsome that they can keep us in games..On to OU, they can be beat but not playing the way were are now on offense so lets keep it going and GO IRISH…….

5. ndfaithful - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I’m getting so tired of hearing one repetitive comment after every WIN. Here it is – after every week…

“If we play like that next week, we’ll get killed”

That’s crap. By definition, if we keep holding the offense to miserable numbers and around 10 points a game, and we score 17-20, we’re going to freaking win. ugly. Can they improve? no doubt. Can they win 13 games this way? yes.

As a whole, they keep doing it. Why does somebody always forecast the doom and gloom?

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Exactly, ndfaithful. If you can’t enjoy this SEVENTH STRAIGHT victory, one that was toughed out in the trenches in crunch time YET AGAIN…you are, basically, a loser. Can’t imagine you being successful in anything that requires perseverance and self-esteem. If you’re always looking for a way to lose, you will damn sure find it!

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

absolutely…they won the type of game that they have not been able to win for several years. Better than scoring 70pts….and giving the other team 63.

• rpbags - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

so u really think that they can play that way and win in Norman? Be real!

• ndfaithful - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

since you asked, Yes.

I think if they hold Oklahoma to 243 total yards, we’ll have a great chance to win.
        I think if they rush for 270 yards, we’ll have a great chance to win.
        I think if they win the turnover battle against Oklahoma, we’ll have a great chance to win.
        I think if they outscore Oklahoma by 3 we will probably win.

Do you disagree? That is how they played yesterday afterall. You sould be real too. Hopeful and optimistic might be a stretch, but be real.

My glass is half full. I’m being real.

6. tommynacc - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM

This one we knew was going to be tough–there all tough!

I have a few compliments, then critiques about the the Live Blog.

First off, Keith, no one is more appreciative of the job you and whomever your crew is helping you.

I look forward to each Live Blogging, well at least up until today, when I was accused of being a Rees basher. I’m anything but that and once identified as such, I just felt it was best to leave the live blog for the day and count it off as being misunderstood. My goal in participating and contributing is too root for Irish football, not be a troll on a website. I’m sorry you took it as such.

Lets go beat up the Okies!

7. mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Now that have been reminded for the 6th or 7th time that when TR has to bring it for 4 quarters(or even 3), he shows out much less like Joe Montana than Nate Montana…….Let it be said that T.Riddick was HELLBOY!!! today–heart and soul of the offense– and I apologize to him for cursing Kelly for not running C. Wood exclusively. But it’s still all good. In fact, it’s SEVEN and ZERO!
    ONWARD to Norman, Oklahoma!

8. sinister23 - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

There was a lot of ugly football today, ND, Ohio State, Michigan… Etc… At the end of the day, a win is a win.

Just think, Michigans only 2 losses where from the #1 and #5 teams in the nation…. Not too bad

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

UM: Decent team
      Legit top 20
      That’s as far as I’ll go

Sinister, give me your honest prediction for next wk vs. OK

• irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM

BS sinister you can’t use ND to justify your two losses. You can’t have it both ways saying the irish suck and then running weak game saying michigan has only lost to #1 and #5….Are you retracting and giving the irish props and respect?

9. steincj36 - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Next week’s outcome is up to our o-line.

10. ajw21 - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Nude,
    I think we can see why Kelly stuck with Rees last year. DC has all the physical tools and appears to be a good guy but doesn’t have the mentality or confidence to be a good quarterback. Even in the USF game last year you could see how his body language & play changed after the Gray fumble.

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The announcers commented on his accuracy problems and said “No one can figure it out”

Complete BS
      EVERYONE knows what the prob is; but no one wants to say it on the record
      He’s scared back there. Doesn’t take his time or set his feet
      And the fumble was rookie stuff. Throw the fu**ing thing away and get 3 pts

Powlus is doing a very nice job with him

• joeschu - Oct 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM

No one was willing to come out and acknowledge that Weis’s worst hire BY FAR was Powlus. I cringed every time I saw that guy on camera. I’m thrilled he’s no longer associated with ND.

11. 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Gameday is going to Oklahoma next week. It the Irish win that one, the sky’s the limit.

Go Irish

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM

College gameday….and “If the Irish win that one”. Pressure cooker

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Excellent news! From nowhere in September to 7 and 0 and #5, and 2 Gamedays in the last 3 weeks! Stop b****ing, people! Y’all sound like Ohio State fans to this Columbus resident.

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Hey, no bitching going on here. Bring it on. Not like the Irish ever fly under the radar anyway. OSU fans? Don’t get me started on that one!

• ndfaithful - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Awesome!
      So far this year, we’ve played our best football on the road and in the brightest lights.
      I think we can make OU’s offense look sluggish and boring. If we find some balance and put up some points, the sky is the limit!

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Yeah, I think they’ve gotten used to it. Being sluggish today might have been a good sign. They were bored. Won’t have that problem next week.

12. irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Golson/Rees/Hendrix/Kelly…vs. Landry Jones…..I hope God is watching over us.

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

It’s Tuitt, Nix, Teo, Shembo, Motta, Spond, Kapron, etc., etc., against overrated Jones. He’s the one needs to buckle up. And don’t think he doesn’t know it.

• irishpuma - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

From your post to someone’s ears I hope your right brother!!! Im more worried about the corners and safeties then the front 7. Two major breakdowns today don’t forget if BYU qb could throw they would have had another TD late on a mix up and their first TD was on a blown zone read…

• nudeman - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Uh … Stoops is a practicing Catholic and he’s probably praying too

• mikemcmack - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I hope he keeps practicing, and gets it right eventually, but not before about midnight next GameDay!
        As for the back 4, puma; they’ll be fine…they’ll be fine…they’ll be fine…they’ll be……….

13. notredave - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Pressure Landry and protect the rock, and good things can happen. Driving down from Tulsa for the game. GO IRISH!!

14. elwaysmilehighdenver - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Oklahoma 35 Notre Dame 17

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Nahhhhh….I wouldn’t bet on anything, and of course I think the Irish will win…but it’ll be a 4 point game either way. And yes, I honestly think that.

15. badgerbuck - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Oklahoma is just taking Kansas to the wood shed 52-0

16. usmcbronzestar - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

OK, Irish, let it begin. Sluggish offense, dominant defense. Good offense, good defense, home field! Should make for a hell of a game.

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hey you’re new on here….a few us on here (that I know of)…Semper Fi

• 9irish - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM

a few of us

17. badgerbuck - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oklahoma will beat the Irish Byatt least 20

18. badgerbuck - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

They will win by 20 Oklahoma that is

• dmacirish - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

if you cant type it right after the first time, might as well try for it a second. after taking a deep breath it might be okay for you to try one more time and let us know your opinion is that:

“Oklahoma will win the game by 20 points over the Irish.”

it is a long sentence with some big words in there so it’s okay that it is difficult for you to handle.

by the way, i disagree. the game will be another close game which the Irish have learned how to win.

19. usmcbronzestar - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Time will tell, Oklahoma is playing on all cylinders right now. They will have a great deal of confidence going into this game. I realize that I am a visitors to this forum, however, realism suggests that the Sooners should win, However, there is the knuckle of the Irish!

20. usmcbronzestar - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

That should be the luck of the Irish!

21. irishdodger - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Special Teams is pitiful. Punt return is worse than last year.

Tommy Rees is NOT equipped to be NDs starter. The only way he can thrive is if BK can commit & establish the run early to open up the pass. Rees’ only alleged physical attribute was his accuracy & he did no possess that today.

I hope Kelly finally realizes he has a run first offense b/c he can’t afford to wait until the 2nd half to commit to the run vs teams like OU & SC.

Mike Golic, God love him, is the Tommy Rees of OL. It’s troubling to know we don’t have someone better to repace him.

While I was worried our young DBs would get exposed by the pass at some point, it looks like BYU exposed Russell w/ the run to his side. Definitely some teachable moments.

• joeschu - Oct 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Why does “punt safe” involve watching guys run downfield to kill your punt returner? This is still the great mystery of this coaching staff.

22. norcalirish - Oct 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Man, we played awful today, and I think it might be the best thing that could have happened. No need to go into Norman overconfident.

That being said, if we hit those two FGs and if the replay judge does his job we beat BYU by double digits. Whatever.

That sloppy effort won’t cut it next week.

• 9irish - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

That’s a very good point, forgot about that “phantom” touchdown…bad call. FGs, too. I still don’t know why they don’t move the hashmarks even with the goalposts, like in the pros. They have to kick at a 45 degree angle half the time.

23. washhtsirishlover - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Glad we won today, winning ugly is a definite sign that we’re a good team. The defense bailed us out again. Can’t keep depending on them though, eventually a good passing team will tear us apart. That day is getting closer…Oklahoma. Don’t know if Kelly is purposefully limiting the QB’s with the play calling…but how about a screen pass? Or slants across the middle? Or picks or rubs to get some seperation for the wideouts? Don’t think a wideout caught a single pass against BYU. TJ Jones caught two but he might have been a slot receiver then. Golic needs to get replaced. He constantly gets pushed back and manhandled at the point of attack and another penalty. We have to have some depth back there to replace him. Our DB’s are about to be exploited and undressed for what they truely are: third stringers on a true BCS quality team. IMO unless we knock out Landry Jones or Barkley, they will each easily pass for 300+ yards against us. I know I sound pessimistic but we have been hanging on a thread with our below average offense. On the road against OK and USC we will need to score some points, I don’t see us winning any kind of high scoring game against those two quality teams. That’s where the luck of the irish will have to come into play.

24. ihatemistate - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

All I can say is that QB for BYU was gooooooooood lookin!! And Rees was boring me so bad I actually found myself cheering for the cute QB..Yes I did..but seriously, I would LOVE to see ND win next week and think we have every chance to do that. If I had to bet money on it, I wouldn’t. I don’t think anyone is bashing ND by being realistic. We are ALL big fans of ND and of course want to go all the way, we’re just not used to it!!!!!!!! GO IRISH!!! (Please just don’t get slaughtered).

25. bblack55 - Oct 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM

What a bunch if whiners! You’d think we were 4-3 from all the complaining on this board. Just relax and enjoy it. I seem to be among a small handful that actually expected to be 7-0 at this point (pre-season prediction was 10-2) and it feels really good to still have a football season in the middle of October. There will be close games and even losses, but just look how far this team has come.