The spotlight is back on Golson

Oct 22, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT

Everett Golson Getty Images

When Brian Kelly meets with the media tomorrow, we expect to hear that quarterback Everett Golson is cleared and ready for Oklahoma. The sophomore quarterback, who left the Stanford game after taking a helmet-to-helmet blow, sat out Saturday for precautionary reasons, leaving the Irish offense to Tommy Rees (and a sprinkle of Andrew Hendrix) as Notre Dame snuck by BYU 17-14. And with Golson back as the team’s No. 1 quarterback, all the young signal-caller needs to do is march into Owen Field and beat one of the best teams in the country.

No problem, right?

In Golson, Notre Dame has its quarterback of the future. But to get out of Saturday with their undefeated season alive, they’ll need their sophomore quarterback to play beyond his years, and rebound from the struggles that have plagued him during his debut season.

Let’s start with the bad news. Golson has certainly made progress behind the scenes, with Kelly praising his sophomore quarterback’s commitment to becoming a compete quarterback and learning through every rep and minute in the film room. Yet that evolution hasn’t necessarily been evident on the field. Golson’s best days have been against the team’s worst opponents. Against Navy, he looked sharp — completing 66 percent of his passes and managing the game. He improved against Purdue, throwing for a season-high 289 yards before some late struggles and a critical fumble forced Brian Kelly to bring in Tommy Rees for the game’s final two-minute drill. Golson put up nice enough statistics against Miami as well, completing 17 of 22 throws against the Hurricanes, his best accuracy of the season, but showed some immaturity when he rolled in late to a meeting in Chicago, forcing Kelly to pull the young quarterback from the starting lineup.

Against the three top defenses he faced, Golson didn’t complete better than 50 percent of his passes. Against the Spartans, that efficiency was enough, as he limited the turnovers and took advantage of one-on-one match-ups in the secondary. Against Michigan, the moment got away from him, throwing two interceptions in eight passes, looking frazzled and showing bad decision making before he was yanked. And against Stanford, Golson struggled mightily before fighting back on his final series, his best plays of the afternoon were the ones leading up to the concussion that ended his day. In retrospect, sitting Golson against BYU — a team currently ranked No. 4 in the country in total defense — was a smart decision. He could learn while watching Tommy Rees, especially after having his prep time cut in half.

But as Golson starts the second half of his rookie season, there’s reason to believe he’ll be capable of playing his best football when the Irish need him. He’ll have a running game to rely on, as the Irish ground attack is peaking after gashing BYU for 270 yards, over 200 yards more than their season average. He’ll have a revitalized Tyler Eifert, who reminded Golson that No. 80 is an awfully nice weapon if he chooses to throw that way. And he’ll have his athleticism, a set of legs that’ll keep him out of trouble and keep Oklahoma’s defense honest as they try to keep the young quarterback in check.

“When there isn’t anything there, he has a knack for breaking tackle or making somebody miss him and runs around so he can buy extra time and scramble and wait for someone to work open or take off and run it himself,” Sooners head coach Bob Stoops said Monday. “He’s got excellent feet that way.”

Combining Golson’s athleticism with defensive coordinator Mike Stoops‘ commitment to simplifying a defense that had the Sooners thinking too much and Golson might have his best chance to simply see what the defense gives him and react, something the Irish have hoped would happen as the young quarterback got more comfortable.

The younger Stoops, returning to Oklahoma after a stint as the head coach at Arizona, had a telling comment for the media a few weeks ago when the Sooners figured out how to stop Texas.

“I think the more multiple offenses get, the more simplistic you need to get,” Stoops said of his defense. “I think that’s a unique concept.”

It’s also a concept that should apply Saturday as the Irish continue to parade different personnel onto the field, mixing and matching tight ends, wide receivers, multiple running backs, and two quarterbacks.

“We are more simple so there’s less chance to blow it ourselves,” Bob Stoops said.

It’s a maxim that Notre Dame’s head coach might consider taking to heart this weekend.

1. vegasmark - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Just. Win. Baby.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Al,

Is that you? Are you in Vegas with Hoffa, JFK, and Elvis?

• hyde - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Just. Run. The. Ball. Kelly.

• 808raiderinparadise - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Crazy that many think OK will put up 40/blowout talk …
      Being that ND has allowed 66 points all season & 0 rushing TD’s … ???

I think thats unwarranted, nobody wants to believe ND is back, I can’t blame them, this is a measuring stick game for both teams to be tested.

But to declare a blowout loss by either team is crazy … Golson is the key here, he simply has to make throws down the field to help the run game and time of possesion.

If that happens and he limits turnovers (hopefully none) then ND should win, ND defense is a lot better than K-State … Russell, Farley, bennett jackson and crew need to play well.

2. idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

On a side note, Tommy Rees will have the opportunity to look across the field at his future this weekend. From the first day he was named a starter, he reminded me of Josh Heupel (OU -Offensive Coordinator). Coaches kid, knows the x’s and o’s, not a big arm, take what the defense gives you, etc. etc.

TR in 10 years = Josh Heupel

• kleinick - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Yeah, except Heupel was a stud that led the Sooners to a national title.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

He was a stud. I actually played against him in high school. Ironically enough, he wasn’t that great as a high schooler. In today’s terms, he’d probably be about a two-star recruit…didn’t really put up any impressive numbers until he was a senior. But, WAAAAAY back in 1994 they were the only team in South Dakota running a spread offense. It was all dive option or wing T stuff. Lots of Airforce and 80’s Nebraska copycats.

3. bostonjan - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I was at the 1966 ND-OU game – sitting in the ND student section as a sophmore. Then “rookie” QB Terry Hanratty lead the Irish to a 38-0 victory. Granted the game was @ ND; but perhaps history will repeat itself……

• texasirishfan - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Actually, the ND – OU game in 1966 was in Norman. I was at that game and will be at this one on Saturday, a span of 46 years between visits. The 1966 victory was an important part of ND winning the National Championship that year. Hopefully, history will repeat itself this year!

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The game was in Norman

• oldestguard - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Thats ok Jan.

Back in the ’60’s I thought I was I was visiting “alotta really cool places” that I never actually set foot in.

But the history part – all for it repeating !

• bostonjan - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Thanks all….I pray this not a sign of early dementia! Maybe I was thinking of the 1968 game @ ND. But the game being in Norman makes the comparison stronger. Go Irish…Go history repeating itself.

4. 9irish - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

We are inching back towards people not wanting to play US. Kind of reflective from OUs comments….I guarantee you they wish that they weren’t playing the Irish this weekend.

Need to get off to a very fast start (kick returns? anyone….anyone?) or something….bring a big hush over the Sooner crowd. Totally level the playing field.

So we’ll see

Go Irish

• ndfaithful - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I expect Manti and our front 7 to “level the playing field” and everything in red that’s anywhere near it.

• sassysooner - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Not so fast! OU is thrilled to be playing ND this weekend…seriously! It’s gonna be HUGE!

P.S. I agree with your thoughts on kick returns…our special teams are looking good! ;)

BOOMER!

5. nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I saw someone say in an earlier post “The Irish are just figuring out how to win”

That is a BS concept. This is football, not calculus or nuke physics. WTF is there to “figure out”?
    You take the ball, run over the other team, stop them from running over you and you win.

Jesus … this is FOOTBALL

And if that’s where the Irish really are – still scratching their heads and “figuring this out” – they’re toast this weekend.

• halfwhitey - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:06 AM

The key is for us to find a way to win. It’s the sports cliche that trumps all others. The other team knows how to win? Doesn’t matter if we find a way to win. The other team wants it more? Maybe so, but we still found a way. It’s unpenetrable.

• ctfivula - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Come on man let’s try to come up with something insightful instead of bashing on other peoples thought’s constantly. You usually have some really good points but then every now and then you seem to go on a comment bashing spree. So I still say that Golson spent last week studying up on the Sooners because Kelly had no intention of playing him all week but didn’t announce until before the kickoff. I think that gamble pays off this week and Golson comes up big. The only thing that scares me is the fact that this is a huge game for Stoops. Didn’t ND give him his first loss as the Sooners coach?

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

ctfivula
        My point was twofold:
        1)”Still trying to figure out how to win” is not a good place to be going into a game against OK in Norman. To me, it screams “we’re going to try to not be embarrassed and maybe we’ll get lucky and actually win”
        2) More importantly it’s one of those tired sports cliches that needs to be put to bed, along with “we’re gonna’ give 110% …”

I still don’t buy the “resting Golson so he could mull OK” thing. If Kelly believes Golson is the better QB (he seems to believe that) and if Golson was able to play, this almost blew up in his face with Rees turning in a predictably disgusting performance and nearly losing the game.

• irish4006 - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I don’t think it was so much “resting Golson so he could mull OK” thing. I have a feeling that Kelly was trying to see if TR could be the QB to beat OU in Norman. He probably “used” the BYU game to do an experiment, Golson’s injury and resting him were very credible excuses.

We saw the same ol’ TR on the field that we saw in the last couple of seasons and we can now safely go back to EG for the OU game. EG has the potential to play great and pull out a win, whether he will be able to do so, remains the big question.

• joeymagarac - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Bob Stoops – who has an .800 winning percentage as Oklahoma’s coach – doesn’t think that “figuring out how to win” is a BS concept. He explained it in his Monday press conference, and his explanation makes some sense. He explained that his team blew a 17-point lead against ND in 1999 and lost, 34-30, because it didn’t know how to win. Here’s how he put that:

“I was asked this morning what I remember about [the Notre Dame game in 1999] and I said I remembered getting up by 17 points and not knowing how to win. I told my staff when we got home from the game I said our guys hadn’t ever been up on anyone by 17 points. It was just trying to teach them how to play.

“I don’t know if that was the case or not. I know we weren’t satisfied about it. We were up 17 points and I look around and see a bunch of guys laughing and giggling and knew they had no idea. We still had a whole half here and sure enough we didn’t know how to keep it.”

You can read similar quotes from Kelly and the ND players. The idea is that a team “knows how to win” if: a) it doesn’t get overconfident or lazy when it has the lead, but focuses on building its lead and securing a win; and b) it doesn’t get panicked or defeatist when it is behind, but focuses on calmly making plays and coming from behind.

This makes sense to me. ND “didn’t know how to win” when it losing to teams like Syracuse during the Weis regime: the players (and probably the coach) either thought they had the game in the bag or else got negative if a few bounces went the wrong way.

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Your point is well taken. There is something about “knowing how to win” that is tangible. Just over-used in my opinion.

The Irish have shown that they do in fact know how to win. And that can’t hurt, but I have a sinking feeling they’re out manned this week. Doesn’t mean they can’t win; just think OU has more horses.

On Syracuse, I have a simpler explanation: They were in lousy shape, thanks to CW’s lack of appreciation for the importance of a conditioning program. Totally out of gas in the 4th qtr. I think that’s when I officially knew CW and his schematic advantage were nothing but hot air.

6. kleinick - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Off topic…..but word on the street is Anzalone decommitted today.

• ctfivula - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I like his skills but I never liked his attitude. I think he comes across as a spoiled little brat that has to get his way all the time or else he becomes disinterested. I saw when he committed over the summer and it looked like he had a hard time saying it so I was never sold on this guy from the start. I think he only committed because he was there with Jaylon and a few other guys pushing him.

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I don’t see anything about it on the 4HL, which has been all over this to a ridiculous extent.
      Do you have a link to a story?

Whether he has or hasn’t decommitted, it sounds like just a matter of time.

• kleinick - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I don’t have a link….my good buddy is a die-hard Buckeye fan (and college football in general) and he read it on one of his blogs (Nevada Buck is his #1 source)

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Hasn’t happened. Yet.

Sounds like he’s been looking for a reason to get out of his ND commit.
        Took a visit to FL, probably at his dad’s behest. Then apparently Diaco flew in and met with the family during the bye week and it didn’t go well. Some have said Diaco “went off” on the kid and his dad didn’t appreciate it. I doubt Diaco went into someone’s home and “went off”.

If I had to guess, I’d say Diaco smelled a rat, was blunt (but not rude) in his discussion, talked to them about the meaning of the word “commitment”, and let the chips fall where they may, all the time knowing that the dad was controlling this thing, and regardless of what was/wasn’t said he’s probably going to FL. So not a lot to lose.

Sounds like he’s a goner

7. mtflsmitty - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I wish young Mr. Anzalone the best of luck whichever direction he goes. In the long run, always best for all involved to make the right choice for themselves…and their daddy. LOL. Couldn’t help myself. Seriously, good luck, Alex.

8. mtflsmitty - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Great time to be a fan! And I for one intend to enjoy. Loving the status as the dog. Even planning to host some good friends who also happen to be OU fans for the upset.

Expect a very close game. Watch how sloppy we make their offense look. Watch as our guys properly break down and make one excellent tackle after another (a rare find these days). Watch as our pass rush collapses the pocket. Watch as our DBs handle the aerial attack. Watch as BK opens up the playbook and we score 24+ and control the clock. Watch as we get stronger in the 4th Q.

I’m pumped. Irish 24, OU 23.

9. 818irish - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Here is Oklahoma’s defensive game plan for Saturday:

BLITZ
    BLITZ
    BLITZ
    BLITZ
    BLITZ

Pick up the blitz and make ‘em pay Golson…

Go Irish!

10. seadomer - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Read a bunch of comments on opponents board:

Half are predicting a close one, the other half actually thinks they can put up 40 on the Irish.

Best comeback I read:

“Hope Landry Jones has a quick release … ………………… from the University hospital after the game”

11. yaketyyacc - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:08 AM

well, they “think” they can put up 4o against the Irish. History repeating itself. that’s what they thought in 1957. so sure were they that the culmination of Oklahoma’s 50th celebration of statehood was going to be the victory party after the Notre Dame game. Well, we spoiled it in 57, and glad to say my voice was among the student body, who in our dining halls that evening sang “happy birthday” to Oklahoma.
    they found out who Notre Dame was in “57” and Golson, T’eo and company are about to refresh their memory in 2012. Lads, play the game of your life! But, be careful where you step. they are called “sooners” because they would sooner do “it” on the field than off. Blame us for that. ND has that effect on opponents. Go Golson, T’eo and young men ofNotre Dame, CRUSH the okies….

• 9irish - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I still think the funniest part of that story was about “hating Lindsey Nelson” because of those Sunday replays. I remember that. And this was in Ohio. Hell, I remember when I was a kid they would show highlights of Notre Dame on “NFL Today”, when they lost…it was a big deal.

Visited back to Ohio in about 97 or so, went to one of the old bars in town….had a huge poster of Ohio Stadium, saying Ohio State XX, Notre Dame XX, and the date (can’t remember the date (1995) or score), but OSU had won. And I thought, “You know, no ND fan would ever have a poster like that on the wall if we had won”. And that’s what we deal with…there is a lot of bitterness out there.

Go Irish

12. keelio19 - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:56 AM

All I’ve gotta say is the season has pretty much predicted itself out already for the way Golson is going to play.

First game, Navy, Golson played very well for his first start.
    Second Game, Purdue, Golson threw the ball well but still struggled to the point of getting yanked on the last drive.
    3rd game, Mich St. Maybe he didn’t have great numbers, but he had a great day managing the game and that beautiful throw to John in the corner of the endzone.
    4th Game, Michigan, we all saw his struggles.
    5th Game, Miami, and lets keep in mind, this was after a bye week, he had one of his best performances of the year.
    6th Game, Stanford, Struggled and made some rookie mistakes, had that one good drive but again Tommy game in on final minutes (Granted Golson was hurt)
    7th game, a game Golson probably would have played well in, but he didn’t play, this was like a bye week for him prior to the Miami game, but this time it’s a bye week prior to OKLA.
    8th game, OKLA, I’m going to predict he has a game like he did against Miami, we ran the ball extremely well, Golson had some nice passes and was able to avoid the rush with his legs.

So far this season it has been pretty predictable. Golson has a good game, then a bad game, a good game, then a bad game. A bye week, then a great game, then a bad game. Lucky for us, if this continues, he’s going to have his best games this season against OKLA and USC. Tommy can come in and win against the likes of Pitt,Wake and BC, Golsons predicted bad games.

Go Irish, 28-17

13. ndgoldandblue - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Wow…apparently Notre Dame doesn’t even deserve to be on the same field as Oklahoma. That’s the sentiment coming from virtually every columnist that covers Oklahoma football. According to them, we don’t even deserve to be ranked in the top 20, much less the top 5. They think that the Sooners are going to blow us out this week, and, to them, it’s insulting to think that the Irish even have a shot at winning this game. I’m not saying that the Irish will win, but they have a lot of nerve to suggest that we don’t have a chance. Hmm…what will they say if Notre Dame wins this game? Oh wait…I know…”We just didn’t play Sooner football.” New week, same sh#t. Irish 20, Sooners 10. Book it.

14. bearcatirishfan - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I hope their players are listening to those Oklahoma comments. I’ll take cocky and overconfident.

15. phillyj - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

All Golson needs to do is to not turn the ball over, get us into the correct run plays, and make a couple big plays with his arm/legs. Irish win 21-20.

16. 4horsemenrideagain - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

A quote from the OU student newspaper:

Oklahoma should have no problem demolishing Notre Dame this weekend. The Sooners have proven they can play with any team in the nation, and the Fighting Irish have proven they can play with any 4-4 team in the nation. This is a matchup that will prove to everyone Notre Dame is vastly overrated.

The top-5 will look much more respectable without the farce that is Notre Dame occupying one of its spots.
    ——
    And another quote from a Norman newspaper:

More likely, Notre Dame is a Big 10 program in independent’s clothing. Three of its seven opponents have been from the league time forgot, its offense is often stuck in the mud like so many Big 10 offenses and one might surmise that Saturday night will look a lot like it often looks when the Big 10 ventures out of conference to meet a very good foe.

Good luck to the Irish.

They’ll need it just to keep up.

——-

These are some very confident sounds coming out of the panhandle state. Never underestimate the value of assuming the role of the underdog. This ND team has lived through being unappreciated and disrespected since they were recruits. There is no pressure on them this week, as very few expect them to keep it close, much less pull it out. An underdog playing an away game and one where all the dopes at ESPN are sure to pick OU to coast, makes for a very dangerous team.

• ndmsu2006 - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Wow. Reading those quotes makes me want to jump out of my chair and tackle someone. ND will overpower OK this weekend. This is not the year to disrespect the Irish.

• andy44teg - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Stuff like that just pisses me off…I had some free time this morning, so I did a little research. ND’s opponent’s combined record is 29-23 for a .560 winning%…OU’s is 24-20 for .550 winning%. They’ve played some horrible teams, too. Florida A&M, UTEP, and the Charlie Weiss-led Jayhawks…those three combined have a record of 6-17…You can’t combine any 3 of ND’s opponents and get that bad of a record…ND’s 3 worst opponents have a record of 11-12. The best 3 opponets for OU have a record of 18-3. The best 3 for ND have a record of 14-7. Yeah….BIG TIME difference’s here in opponent’s records….to borrow a phrase from the early 90’s….NOT!!!

sorry for the ramble BTW

• papadec - Oct 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM

andy – thanks for all the research & posting it. Should be a close game. Last team to score – wins the game?

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Frankly, I hope their players bring the same arrogance, loftiness, and disdain for Notre Dame football to the game on Saturday. If they do, the Irish are going to punch them in the mouth, and they won’t know what hit them until the game is over and they have lost by 10. Then, all they’re left saying is, “What just happened?”

I tell ya, leave to a bunch of smack-talking students and idiot journalists to rally a fan base, who normally can’t stop arguing with each other, around a unifying cause: beating the living sh#t out of Oklahoma.

• bernhtp - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Really amazingly stupid. If you’re smart, you build up your opponent to your team so they give the game the attention and effort it deserves. You do the same for others so that the win appears more significant. Bulletin board material is never a good idea.

17. joeschu - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It would be interesting to see a statistical breakdown of the varied personnel groupings actually used in games this season. I know a lot of us went in to the season hoping to see all sorts of exotic looks and packages that highlighted our strengths at TE and RB.

Have we run anything other that 1-back sets? Have we really trotted out different formations and position groupings? By my simple eye, we’ve substituted a lot and we vary between 1, 2 and 3 TE sets (with the 3TE set typically deploying Eifert as more of a big WR). However, I haven’t seen any sort of 2 back or multiple-slot formations.

I’ve felt our playbook has been pretty thin all year. I understand the sentiment behind this quote:

“…as the Irish continue to parade different personnel onto the field, mixing and matching tight ends, wide receivers, multiple running backs, and two quarterbacks.”

The reality seems to indicate that we do put a lot of different guys on the field, but not all that varied or complex position groupings/formations.

18. ndrick731 - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Golson or Rees are nothing more than placeholders until next season when Keil is ready to play.

19. bearcatirishfan - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I get that Oklahoma is a good program, but wht has this team accomplished in the last decade to warrant such overcoming ss from their fans. I mean I guess loosing to Boise state is a huge program builder.

20. dapperdanirish - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I know this isn’t what some want to hear, but I actually feel good about EG starting and doing what he does well. However, if he is ineffective, I feel good about TR off of the bench. TR has been at his best in games with limited roles. Credit BK for knowing his personnel and making the calls when necessary.

I think it was good for our D to give up a couple TD’s to BYU so that the pressure of that steak is off of them and if OU earns TD’s, it’s not a big deal. If we hold them to 3 TD’s or less, I think we have a great shot.

Nude, are you going to give a prediction before the game?

• domer77blowsgoats - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

prediction of nude’s prediction

1. TR sucks
      2. hoping for not a blowout
      3. will rip on a min. of 3 other posters for their “mispeelings”
      4. ask for an invite to the Rees family tailgate from KA
      5. Is sending his family to a double-feature drive-in on Sat night so internet is free and clear
      6. bought an algo to constantly refresh browser and CRTL+C, CRTL+P previous 20 posts
      7. will predict OU 31, ND 28 because as he said before Navy, “I see 10-2 more realistically than 8-4, so this is one of my 2″

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Kraut-boy
        For a guy whose screen name involves a human having sex with an animal, you sure are quick to start a fight
        Why don’t you go back to the homeland, perhaps visit the Reichstag, maybe a beer hall or two and sit around with the other Krauts and sing Edleweis?

Your preoccupation with me really makes you seem like a weirdo

FOAD

• onebigloadofcrap - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

the goat is one weird guy. I never see a whole lot coming from him besides dumb stuff at nudeman. what is the kraut thing about?

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

dapperdan
      I probably will give one, but not yet. Waiting to be swept up in a wave of optimism
      Having trouble getting there this week and don’t want to bring everyone down

BTW, last week I predicted ND 23-14. If Brindza doesn’t miss those 2 chip shots I’ve got it exactly

21. tonyricemajorharris - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Oklahoma will have 2 loses on their record when they wake up Sunday morning

22. sullyp18 - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

If we can control their run offense, I think we will have a good chance to come away with a win. We need to establish our run offense and keep their offense off the field. Their defense isn’t overly impressive at least what I have seen and our running game looks to be very good. The game still completely scares me after watching some of the throws Jones makes. Its either going to be very close or a blow out, lets hope it we show once again that we know how to win. GO IRISH!!!!

23. sullyp18 - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I also wanted to mention Brian Kelly is going on the Herd Show tomorrow, I believe it starts 9am central on ESPN U

24. bigmix86 - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Brian Kelly has been seriously sandbagging on offense this entire season? Golson ran the spread in high school and it’s not as if he doesn’t know how to do it? Kelly’s play calling has been almost STUPIDLY simple. Not a hint of the kind of stuff that we know they are both capable of.
    Something tells me we may see a shade of offense that we have never seen before on Saturday.

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Just you
      What you’ve seen is what we’ve got

• irish4006 - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Yep, just you. They may end up playing to their potential (fingers crossed), but the lack of production on offense thus far is not intentional. How did you come up with such an original idea?

• papadec - Oct 24, 2012 at 2:53 AM

bigmix – I have been wondering if Kelly has been using just what he needs to use, to win the preliminary games – and like you, feel he is saving stuff for ou & usc.

25. ndfenian - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Kelly needs to make an important distinction for his young QB on how to use his legs. We need him to be an elusive scrambler and effective on the option, but we do NOT need him to be a running back. Against Stanford, for instance, we didn’t need him lowering his pad level and taking on a defender after he had already gotten the first down. All that does is put him at risk of fumbling and getting hurt. I’ve watched a lot of highlights and games of Tony Rice, and it’s important to note that, for as much as he ran the ball, he very rarely took a big hit. He had a way of tucking and rolling so that he would only receive glancing blows, thus allowing him to fight another town and avoid turnovers. Golson is not even as big as Rice was, for that matter.

• ndfenian - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM