OU President urges Sooner fans to be hospitable

Oct 23, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT

ou-stadium-ok

Over at the Oklahoman, Barry Tramel continues his dogged reporting on the Notre Dame-Oklahoma series with a piece insinuating that Notre Dame stole its beloved “Play Like A Champion Today” sign from Bud Wilkinson‘s Sooners.

Between breaking Oklahoma’s historic winning streak and stealing an iconic sign, I half expect Tramel to tell me Lou Holtz painted over Oklahoma’s very own Touchdown Jesus on the southside of Owen Field. (Kidding.)

Either way, with a night kickoff, plenty of history, ESPN GameDay, and a top ten match-up between two national programs, it’s expected to be a rowdy evening in Norman. Maybe that explains why OU president David Boren sent an open letter to Sooner fans everywhere.

Dear members of the OU community,

This will be a special weekend. The Oklahoma Sooners will have the chance to post a VICTORY as we observe the 55th Anniversary of the ending of OU’s 47-game winning streak — the longest in college football history. A visit by ESPN’s GameDay will add to the excitement.

It’s a time for wins both on and off the field.  In 1999, the last time we played Notre Dame, several of us made the trip to South Bend for the game. We have never experienced greater hospitality when visiting another campus. Everywhere we went on campus, from the ticket takers at the stadium to students and fans we met on the campus, we were warmly greeted by the words, “welcome to Notre Dame.” We were stopped by those who wanted to tell us how much they respect Oklahoma. We now have a chance to show our visitors from Notre Dame the same kind of warm hospitality in return. While our team wins on the field, it’s time for the rest of us to step up and demonstrate “Championship Hospitality.”

Boomer Sooner,

David Boren

For those of you grimacing at the, “We have never experienced greater hospitality when visiting another campus line,” perhaps it’ll come back to help if you plan on traveling to Norman this weekend.

(H/T to Jason Kersey of the Oklahoman’s Sooners Sports blog.)

1. 808raiderinparadise - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Interesting.
    Hopefully the Sooner team shows the same hospitality, imo the o-line will and that will highlight how ND wins.

2. bernhtp - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It’s pretty sad when the university president needs to remind his boorish students and fans to be decent to visitors. I’m glad we graduated from a place where this is unnecessary.

• nudeman - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I don’t think it’s the students
      In my opinion the most obnoxious ones are the adults who’ve struck out in life and cling to the one thing they have left: Being a fan of a team

• dickasman - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Don’t forget crystal meth!

• 9irish - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I’ll second that one. Michigan and Notre Dame are the two friendliest places I’ve been to. Ohio State is the worst, and it’s all drunk students who are in their first quarter, or 40-50 year old fat guys that never went anywhere that cause all the problems.

• bb90grad - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I’ll second the OSU slam. As a kid growing up in Columbus, every time they lost to Michigan, Sunday’s news had trash cans set on fire on High Street and (at least once) a car overturned.

When they beat Michigan…same thing.

• sfnd - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

As a general matter, the ND football community is respectful and welcoming but I have seen bad behavior by some fans in South Bend.

3. bernhtp - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I’ll report on how well Boren’s appeal worked. I am going to Norman this weekend decked out, as usual, in my ND gear, I hope they don’t force me to kick anyone’s ass.

4. mannydomer61 - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Hey bernhtp wear those colors loud and proud brother wish I could be there to see our biggest win in some timeCHEER CHEER FOR OLE NOTRE DAME WAKE UP THE ECHOES CHEERING HER NAME!

• dickasman - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Jesus, manny, I don’t mean to accuse but you kinda sound like one of thems who never got anywhere son.

5. dudeacow - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I hope their O-Line hears this. Nix would be like, “Hey, would you mind moving out of the way?” Then the center would respond cordially and Nix would sack Jones. If only.

6. getsome99 - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

hahaha…I’ll be there too in my white 33 jersey (from Hughes era). In the student section too so this is going to be fun.

7. irishking - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The game atmosphere will be unbelievable. I can hardly wait.

8. dutch31 - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I can’t believe that people actually are saying that ND can not win this game. Anyone saying that has not watched them play! OU last played a good defense against K st. Just checked, OU was held to 87 yds rushing and time of possession was 35 to 25 Kst. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that NDs front 7 is better than Kst. Plus ND is running the football with authority. 300 yds against BYU, without Golson. 200 yds against Stanford (adding sack yards back in).
    Also a lot of hating on Golic on this site. Does he struggle in space on past plays, absolutely. However watch him pull I’m those zone powers, from what I see he is doing a good job in the run game
    Also I second the comments of D Ass Man. Doesn’t seem like those 5 guys that mush rush are even suppose to block any one! Seems like Kelly is content to fair catch, there has to be a better plan.

9. notredave - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Don’t paint with a broad brush fellas. Every fan base has there share of knuckleheads. I’ve had no problems in the almost 12 years I have lived here. Granted when I normally wear my swag, we aren’t about to play OU. Having said that, I will be in full swag mode this Saturday . GO IRISH!!

• dickasman - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Nd knuckle fan, número uno checking in sir yes sir!

10. notredave - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Their share. Not there share

11. 9irish - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

yeah, I don’t buy it either. We used to go there when we were in school at Ft. Sill, they were nice…really into line dancing though. I think they’ll be very cool. I wouldn’t go out at 1 am after the Irish win though, might be a different story.

Ya’ll come back now, ya hear?!

12. dickasman - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM

THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED, TOO.

13. dickasman - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Guys I don’t know a thing about OU this year? How’s their d? We should win this one, right?

14. badgerbuck - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

This will NOT be close oklahoma36 notre dame 17

• dickasman - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM

THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED.

15. dickasman - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM

THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN DELETED, TOO.

16. clannahaw - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

The more garbage I read from their newspapers, the more I want this win. For anyone familiar with the Football Outsiders statistics, here are a couple of gems that might surprise you:

OK Rankings
    Adjusted Offense: 3
    Adjusted Defense: 6

ND Rankings
    Adjusted Offense: 4
    Adjusted Defense: 10

wait what? I thought the ND offense sucked? NONSENSE! bring on the sooners! GO IRISH! Damsha Bua on that ass.

17. getsome99 - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Lol

18. norcalirish - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM

bernhtp: lol! Well said

19. soonerfootball - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

In Oklahoma there are 103 counties. In 2008 not 1 county voted for Obama for President. Come on down to Oklahoma and wear your ND Gear and you will be alright but don’t come down here with any of that hope and promise gear, those are fighten words.

• dbldmr - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Funny stuff. I’ll be driving up from Texas. Looking forward to the visit.

20. gostlcards5 - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM

(The fact that Tramel felt he had to say this notwithstanding) What he said, IMO, was well-stated and classy. Hopefully, there are no issues.

Go Irish!

21. bigmix86 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I was at the game in South Bend in 1999 and It WAS a good time. Especially when the wind did a 180deg flip in the 4th Qtr while the clouds broke and the Sun spread out on the Irish end of the Field.