IBG: Seeing Sooner

Oct 25, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT

ibg_nokelly3

As we get to the Irish Blogger Gathering, it’s pretty hard not to focus all our questions on the big game this weekend. Notre Dame is still a decided underdog. Oklahoma’s record in big games hasn’t been exactly sterling. We’ll start emptying out the proverbial notebook for the rest of the weekend leading up to the Saturday evening kickoff, but until then, let’s see what our friend Subway Domer had to say when I grilled him with a few questions.

If you’re looking for some additional reading, I answered some pretty difficult questions over at Subway Domer’s site. And as usual, Josh Flynt spent a few thousand words answering questions for Her Loyal Sons. And there’s even a guest appearance by Father Sorin over at the Strong and True blog.

Onward.

***

1. Let’s just get right after it. I’m just going to assume you think Notre Dame is going to win this weekend. How do you see the Irish shocking the football world this weekend?

Why would you ever think that?… Well OF COURSE the Irish are going to win the game, and it may be “shocking” to some, but I really don’t think it’s going to be some crazy mind-blowing series of events.

I think Notre Dame will win in basically the same fashion that they have done for the entire season. The defensive front is going to put pressure on Jones and knock him around pretty good, and the offense will play a “ball control” type of game.

Guess what… That’s about the only way they can win- so that’s how they do it.

2. Pull out your crystal ball. Predict for me Everett Golson’s numbers in an Irish victory… as well as in an Irish defeat.

Victory: 15/26 196 yards 1 TD 72 yds rushing
Defeat: 19/38 217 yards 1 TD 2 INT 27 yds rushing
Notre Dame needs Golson to play smart and get some yards on the ground.

3. Give me one person on each side of the ball that needs to play the best game of their career for Notre Dame to win on Saturday night.

OFFENSE: Mike Golic Jr. Much has been made about the play of Golic this season. Purdue owned him & he has been known to be the guy that gets over powered on the line. If he plays the best game of his career, that would help solidify Notre Dame in the trenches and help the Irish play the ball control offense that will help them win.

DEFENSE: Zeke Motta. Sure, I guess I could have gone with Russell, but if Zeke plays the game of his career, he’s getting some INT’s. Notre Dame really needs some of that magic to help flip the field and chip away at the scoreboard.

1. dickasman - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Well here it is, “statement” game of the year so far. I hope we win 2-0.

• 808raiderinparadise - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I vow to never bring up a BK press conference again. LoL

Anyways, I have plenty of restored energy today in the IRISH. The tone must be set early by the Defense by punishing Landry and executing coverages and tackling well as always.

Next is the offense has to get into managable 3rd downs, eat clock and get those athletic safeties to bite in the box and get a big play over the top. Eifert will be a great decoy to set something like that up.

I got Stephon Tuitt marked as the biggest key in this game, next Lucas Nix, No idea how nobody talks about this guy, most dominant DT/NT in country. Blows up everyting in the middle and that helps Teo peel thru to make plays.

• adpatr - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It’s Louis Nix….the third.

• 808raiderinparadise - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

LoL I do that everytime. idk why? only when I type it, when I say his name I say Louis.

Thats my ADD in full effect.

LOUIS NIX III

thanks.

• ndfaithful - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

LOL – love the vow…

You got 129 thumbs down! Wait – now it’s 130! None of them were mine.
        (and Dorsett just dropped another pass)

2. dickasman - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I’m already looking past the nooners. I can’t wait to watch defense destroy Barkley and woods. Barkley and USC are just so dam annoying!

3. cameronemclaughlin - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’m worried about Golson putting enough points up for us to win this one. I’m happy he’s starting, because we’ll need something more dynamic than what Tommy can produce if we want to keep up with OU’s offense.

But without an improved performance from an already excellent defense, Oklahoma will likely score 21 or more (something we’ve only done twice this year). Golson has yet to put together a consistent game against a quality defense. We’re going to need him on point from the first possession.

If Everett can’t figure it out this week, by the time we’re in need of our “closer,” it might be too late.

4. rrussellndfan - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Everette Golson will ha a break out game in Norman. Call me crazy but watch and see.

• c4evr - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

So we’ll see Chocolate Sundae in stead of Vanilla?? Personally I’m thinking Neopolitan, Chocolate (Golson), Vanilla (Rees), and Strawberry (Hendrix) thrown in just to mix things up.

5. bearcatirishfan - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You’re crazy, sorry could not resist. Hope you are right though. I will say that it seems like golden is waiting to have that breakout moment, I think we saw a little of it against Stanford before the hit, his two best drive came after that fumble.

• 808raiderinparadise - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

“Golden” Tate is gone. *GOLSON ;)

6. bearcatirishfan - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I blame mine on auto correct, got to stop posting from my iPad.

• dmac4real - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This is becoming a weekly occurrence dawg. Gotta change something up.

7. runners00 - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Nineteen points. That is what K State allowed this team in September. That should be the goal. If we keep them at nineteen or below, we win. If they score more than 19, we have problems. On offense, we have to run the ball. Period. That may mean Golson scrambling. It may mean Atkinson doing a counter. It may mean Cierre and Theo running between the tackles. But we have to run. And this will put a lot of pressure on the line. Assuming we can move the ball against OU, I think our defense will be up to the task. But if they’re on the field all day, Jones and the no-huddle will put up some points.

8. irishirish777 - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

All we need for an Irish victory is for our D to pressure the QB and for Golson to manage the game. He doesn’t need to be the hero just manage the game and run w/ the ball several times to keep the D guessing. Prediction, Irish 24 – OU 10. Go Irish!!!!