Tuesdays with BK: Prepping for Pitt

Oct 30, 2012, 7:51 PM EST

Brian Kelly

With Superstorm Sandy battering the East Coast and many of our readers under water and in bad shape, let me be one of the many voices from somewhere safe to wish you all well and hope that you’ve stayed out of harm’s way.

Not to take the devastation that has hit our country’s Eastern Seaboard and try to make a misguided sports analogy, but there’s probably one to be had with Notre Dame right now. With the Irish safely through the Oklahoma game, Notre Dame has weathered the most difficult part of their schedule. Yet those expecting things to lighten up are all too ready to fall into a trap that caught the Irish napping in 2002, broke the hearts of many in 1993, and annually trip up undefeated football teams all across the country throughout the month of November.

With the 4-4 Pitt Panthers set to visit South Bend this weekend, Notre Dame is far from out of the woods. But at 8-0 and big-time favorites on Saturday night, Brian Kelly has to remain vigilant as he prepares his team for an opponent with enough talent to beat him.

See below for the entirety of Kelly’s Tuesday press conference. As usual, I’ll give you some interesting snippets.

***

Kelly was asked about letdowns, and specifically Notre Dame’s history of following up a historically important win with a befuddling and devastating loss. His answer was a great one.

“History will have no effect on how this team plays,” Kelly said. “What will affect how this team plays is how they prepare during the week and that is what I can control and that’s what our players can control.  So our focus is on what we can control.  If we don’t prepare well and have a good week, that’s going to spill into how we play Saturday.”

As a fan, you’ve got to be happy with that answer. Outside of Mike Denbrock, that loss in 2002 might not even be a distant memory on the radar. And the ’93 defeat, a portion of this football team wasn’t alive for it.

Kelly talked about what his focus is as the Irish move farther along in this uncharted territory.

“More than anything else is that you can prepare well, but if you’re not going to play a tough brand of football mentally and physically, then you can lose every week that you play,” Kelly said. “So I go back to the two things:  One, let’s take care of what we can control; and two, let’s exhibit the habits that we’ve used all week and all year to be the guide for what happens on Saturday.”

***

If you’re looking for things that got Irish fans’ goat this offseason, it was a comment attributed to Kelly at a fundraiser dinner that got twisted into Kelly setting his season goals at eight wins. The head coach did his best to clarify that statement, making it clear that a mediocre eight-win season wasn’t his goal, but the fact that the Irish’s inability to win eight games in three straight seasons pointed to the program’s stability issues, something all but lost in the angst from some fans.

Fast forward to today and Kelly has indeed won eight games in three straight years. And we can all chuckle about this little flap. But Kelly was asked about the different paths to eight wins and how big the challenge was this year.

“It’s a climb,” Kelly said, a smile almost climbing to his face as the question emerged. “You’re developing a football program on a consistency that you want your team to have. I think it’s pretty clear that we’re developing that consistency.  But the challenges each year are different because of the different players that you have. But it’s still the same.  It’s still, you know, habits on a day‑to‑day basis.  It’s still preparation.  It’s still performing.  That hasn’t changed.  But now you have a group of players that know what you expect from them going into where we are right now. “

***

After playing his most impressive game at Notre Dame, Kelly was asked what’s next for Everett Golson.

“The passing game still needs to improve,” Kelly said. “We had what we consider four, maybe five opportunities that we left out there in terms of throwing the ball.  So we want to see a higher passing efficiency in that respect.  And then I think you’re correct in assuming that what we need now is to put together a string of games back to back.  I think those are the two things that we’re going to ask from Everett in terms of his progress.”

He’ll have a great opportunity to display that this weekend, with another defense that might struggle to stop the Irish run game, leaving opportunities down field for Notre Dame to hit some big passes.

***

With a different offensive philosophy, Kelly has changed his tune on time of possession, acknowledging that tweak this afternoon. The Irish are now 14th in the country in the statistic where in previous years Kelly finished dead last at Cincinnati during his undefeated season.

Kelly explained the thought process and how they measure their efficiency.

“We want our time of possession to equal certain amount of plays, and we’re falling a little bit behind that matrix, if you will,” Kelly said. “So we really need to continue to possess the football, but we’ve gotta run some more plays, and that means we have to plate a little bit quicker and be able to get the amount of plays that we want.

“We’re running a lot more play personnel groupings into the game whereas last year we were set pretty much in our rotations.  So some of it’s coaching, and the other part of it is we’ve gotta run some plays that you don’t check, that you call them and haul them.  So there’s a little bit of that element, and then we’ve gotta get our quarterback not walking around out there.  He’s gotta get out there and he’s gotta move a little bit quicker.  So all those three elements coming together.”

It’s an interesting explanation from Kelly, who spends a fair amount of time signaling the play in with the Red Army (the back-up quarterbacks hand-signaling in the plays), which isn’t the fastest process. But the idea of running more plays while continuing to control the ball likely means that this staff wants to keep limiting opponents’ offensive opportunities, while also understanding that they need more production out of their offense, something that’ll come with more experience at quarterback.

***

1. 808raiderinparadise - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Pitt has nothing to lose and I can assure you they will do anything possible to put points up.

With as close as every game has been @ND this year its time for ND to take another step and wack Pitt around for a convicning win.

• ndfaithful - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Pitt’s defensive line is undersized from what I can tell. Their OL is BIG but has not played very well most of the year. Their DL will be a liability I think. If we’re focused, we should roll over them on the line of scrimmage. But… they usually play us tough. I think they’re in turmoil, but are dangerous.

GO IRISH!

• dickasman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM

In reality, this should be about 59-0 and all kinds of coming out party for everyone on offense but last time I thought that, mormon almost became god so I’d expect about 28-14,game.

• Jennifer - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Keith. dickasman’s series of rants today have crossed the line to blatant racism. In doing so he insults and discredits Our Lady’s University, NBC standards, followers of Inside the Irish, and all right and just thinking people. It’s your call as to what to do next.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Jen ,,, GROANNNNN
        Heartily disagree. Seriously doubt the guy is a racist.
        Lighten up

• Jennifer - Nov 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Nudeman. So you think I need to” lighten up?” Well, your support of dickasman’s racial rants says a lot about you as well. Dick’s slurs also spoke to our fellow posters, as I just counted 195 THUMBS DOWN for his rants/slurs. Nice company you keep there, Buddy.

2. ndfaithful - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Let’s just pray that the history of undefeated teams failing against lesser teams in November continues; just not for Notre Dame. May USC “fight on” and put an SC beat down on Oregon. May LSU, A&M, or even lowly Auburn flush the Crimson Tide down the bowl. May OSU catch K-State in a Cyclone. And let the FIGHTING IRISH play strong and true.

As for rankings… all this talk about how superior Alabama is… I’m not ready to concede the #1 in America. Let the truth unravel. I’m no believer in Bama. Let them beat somebody good. I hope we get our shot at them. That would be my preference.

All the same – I would just be so happy to finish unblemished, no matter who the final game is against or what the stakes are.

GO IRISH!!!

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:16 AM

FYI, OSU is the Cowboys, not the Cyclones…that’s ISU (as in Iowa State University)

• ndfaithful - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I realize that and wasn’t confused about their mascot/name. I just want OSU to rip thru them like a cyclone.

3. ndfanwabashman - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Even the most optimistic of fans could not imagine where ND is right now. All the credit to Kelly. He has rubbed some fans (and even some players last year) the wrong way, but does an incredible job of blocking out the noise.

I think it’s way to early to get wrapped up in who is ranked where. For me, no matter how this team finishes they have shown great heart to this point. This is truly a team, and a program, a fan can be proud of.

• dudeacow - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Actually, I did predict ND would be sitting at 8-0 before the beginning of the season… and I had a dream than ND would beat OU 35-17!

4. North of Denver - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM

1) jerseyshorendfan: hope you’re okay.
    2) what does “call them and haul them” mean?

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:17 AM

call them and haul them means that they call one play and that play doesn’t have a presnap read or audible. Regardless of how the defense lines up, you run the play that you’re given.

5. atw34 - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

North of Denver,

“Call them and haul them” means ….call the plays and then run them. Not checking out of the play and changing it.

6. dickasman - Oct 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Davonte: so how’s your season?
    Dinglebbrry: mannnng, sht off da hzoook nekka, I ain’t even gots to practice, smoke weed all day dawg and I is gettin paid, nekka….Mehhhh, u iz seen my ride? It’s free yo. Houston is da shiznit yo. Mang, you is wack dawg, I see yo azz on tv nekka tryin to fair catch n sht tryin to get them crackaz to block for yo blak azz. You funny dawg!

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

dickasman is not a racist. He’s mimicking the way blacks speak and tweet.
      Nothing wrong with poking fun at different cultures. Ever watch Jersey Shore and the guidos?
      Everyone needs to get off their moral high horse

7. domer77blowsgoats - Oct 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Did I see KA use a “goat” reference?! Love it!!

• dickasman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

THIS HAS BEEN DELETED BECAUSE IT IS A DUMB COMMENT.

8. domer77blowsgoats - Oct 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Dick please learn how to spell EG’s name – love Nude

• dickasman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I let Steve Jobs do it. That’s why I paid $500 for

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

goat, why are you starting this sh** up again?
      Your single minded obsession with me is very tired. No one here enjoys it

• domer77blowsgoats - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

awww whats wrong nude?

apparently too much time on your hands since you have to always try to find someway to kick the hornets nest in these comments

and now blasting other people because the didn’t appreciate dickasman’s comments? some people get offended some don’t – but everyone is allowed to voice their opinion no?

yes they might have been a tad over sensitive on the topic – but aren’t you the same in your relentless pounding of TR?

• dmacirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

just so everyone sees it – the ball has been set up for the “who pounds TR more then Nudeman?” slam dunk joke here.

or my guess (although i dont agree) is that Nudeman and the other conspiracy theorists could come up with a “[insert name of certain blog writer and tight end] pounds TR more then nudeman,”

or finally and close to the top of my list – “that’s what she said”

• dmacirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

dangit my joke went to the wrong location. please see two comments down for a bit of hilarity.

• ibleedirish - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Everything he says about TR is correct. You rarely say anything that is. You are merely annoying. If that is your goal, then well done.

• ibleedirish - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

This comment obviously is supposed to be in response to blowsgoats

9. dickasman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:08 AM

5 thumbs down…so you guys are happy w pr game?

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM

not happy with the PR game, but the thumbs down is probably for your weak (and potentially racist) attempt at humor.

• dillonbigred - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Stop your racist comments. You are an embarrassment.

• georgegipp - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Dickasman,

I am certain that the thumbs down you refer to above and below are not because of your view on the PR game, but have largely to do with the RACIST nature of your comments. Specifically,

(1) Your reference to Davonte Neal as the “black [John] goodman”. It is unclear to me what the color of his skin has to do with the PR game. Or how pointing out that Davonte is black (whereas Goodman is not) adds anything to your post.

(2) Your characterization of the way Deontay Greenberry speaks, including the repeated use of what I assume is your phonetic spelling of the way you imagine African Americans say the N-word. This is not funny in any way. It is racist and has no place here or in any discourse about ND. For your reference, I post a link to an interview with Deontay Greenberry below. He happens to be an articulate young man.

(3) Your comments about the way EG speaks. While not as overtly racist as your comments above, it still oozes racist overtones.

This is not the first time I have read racist comments from you. They have no place here. I enjoy reading some of your (non-racist) posts. I happen to agree with your comments on the PR game, which is horrible again this year. But the racist remarks have to go. They are insulting to everyone.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM

georgegipp
      Speak for yourself
      I’m not insulted. I thought it was kinda’ funny.
      Are we so politically correct as a society that we can NEVER poke fun at different cultures, ethnic groups, ways of speaking, accents, etc?
      Have you ever seen tweets, etc from black kids? They make fun of themselves.

The other day someone called me a “mick”. Does that mean he “hates” Irish people?

• dillonbigred - Nov 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

He is speaking for himself, just as you are stating your opinion. We all have different threshholds as to what is offensive. I and apparently many others, do find many of dicks comments tasteless, insulting, and sad. Label it as pc or whatever, but it is how I feel. I enjoy many of the funny posts, the arguing, putdowns, etc. on this site, but I see no reason or benefit for much of his garbage to be here. This goes way beyond a mick or kraut comment ( I have Irish and German blood and would not be offended), and has shown up numerous times.

• ndgoldandblue - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM

nude, I’m with you. I’ve been called a kraut before, and I don’t mind it. I’m proud of my German heritage, so I don’t mind a barb here and there. For the record, my grandfather came to this country to get out of Nazi Germany. And also for the record, Hitler was Austrian, not German (besides the point, I know, but I thought I should bring it up).

10. dickasman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:10 AM

5 more thumbs down? So you guys think he doesn’t say you know too much? He literally says it every other word, you know?

Winning takes care of everything I know I know…gotcha

11. idratherbeinsouthbend - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Love the question planted by BK…

“Coach Kelly, could you expound on the finer points of playing linebacker in the ’80s compared to today?”

Translation “Coach Kelly, please use this softball question to promote Manti as amazing football player that he is.”

Gotta love the hidden heismann campaign!

….just sayin’

12. tampadomer - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Forgive me for looking in the future a little bit. But I wonder what Gunner is thinking right now. I just wish we could redshirt him and have him for another year! DANG another QB controversy in the future!?!?!?!?

• jrct2450yahoo - Nov 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Will someone please, please explain to me the euphoria over someone who is an average QB at best. If Gunner is half of the athlete he was reported to be he will win the position in the Spring. I know I am repeating myself but I can’t understand the “Golson is the future” comments in this forum.

• ibleedirish - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

If you aren’t impressed by the dynamic playmaking ability already shown by the FIRST year QB, then no explanation to you will suffice. Might be time to watch a different sport, you don’t understand this one.

• ibleedirish - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I’d like someone to explain to me the infatuation with Gunner. Is it based on recruiting stars? Really? Have we forgotten about Crist? Ishaq and Tuitt both had five. One guy is a stud, the other doesn’t look very promising at all. Stars mean jack-sh*t. Thus far, Gunner looks like an over-hyped Andrew Hendricks. Ugly delivery, looks tense etc. Not saying he won’t pan out, I’m just saying keep your expectations in check.

13. cpfirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Yea for sure.. What is Gunner thinking right now.. He maybe is thinking he should of stayed at LSU.. ?

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Kelly has a strong history of playing multiple QB’s. With the number of hits that Golson is taking, I have little doubt that Gunner will get ample opportunities to play starting next year. Hopefully, Everrett will learn to protect himself.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM

With the way Golson plays, there are going to be opportunities for the next man in. He takes a lot of hits. Gunner will get his shot, no doubt. Even if Everett remains the clear starter next year, Gunner will CERTAINLY get snaps. Coach Kelly understands the value of having guys get “live fire” before they’re fully counted on to step up and play championship football.

• irish4006 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I am not sure if SEC is a great place for a QB. Gunner will be fine. He will likely be waiting in the wings one more year, seeing limited action here and there; that has never hurt anyone’s chances to be a great QB – just look at how many USC sent to the NFL in the past 10 years.

14. notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:42 AM

On the positive side, got to love the remarks regarding Bob Elliot and the cohesion on the defensive staff. I thought given his coaching resume and personal history that he would be a major factor on the defensive staff this year.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Coach Elliot is BY FAR the most under-valued and under-discussed member of this staff. If you look at the changes on the back end of the defense vs. last year, they are astounding. Despite giving up a ton of experience, the Irish are remarkably better in the air and tackling than they’ve been in recent history. Coach Elliot has been a great stabilizing force, and his relationship with Coach Diaco has been a big part of the defensive success.

If Coach Elliot is the most under-valued and under-discussed coach, Irish Chocolate is the player with the same distinction. Why isn’t LN3 getting more press? He’s been incredible.

• dbldmr - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Louis Nix has been great all season. His play has certainly been instrumental in the Irish’s ability to control the line of scrimmage against the run. As great as his play has been, however, his attitude is even better. He just looks like he’s enjoying his whole experience at Notre Dame. My kind of guy.

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Agree. I also hear he is a good recruiter and mentor. This makes sense since he coached Diaco and Cooks.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That’s true, and if Diaco is, as we fear, besieged with head coach offers after the year, Elliott could be the next D Coord’r

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I think I would be more worried in 1-2 years about Diaco. I also think an NFL defensive staff position is more likely. Seems a bit eccentric for a head coaching position at this time.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Nude, I’d like that. Coach Elliott has head-coaching chops, so having his as a D-coordinator sounds like a spectacular succession plan for Bobby-D. Coach Diaco is a rock-star and if this defense continues down this path, there will be a number of programs knocking down his door. If he’s smart, he jumps at the first good one he sees. CFB is too fickle to wait. Any number of bad breaks, and his stock can plummet quickly. I’ll hate to see him go, so I’m preparing now for the inevitable. If Elliott can build a young, energetic staff of position coaches on that side of the ball, I think he’d be the perfect successor.

15. cpfirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:02 AM

If Golson can stay healthy, which I think he will learn with time how to protect himself. I see him as our QB for a few years. He will only keep on getting better with every game. I am really excited about where our football program is headed. Great job to the coaching staff and players Keep up the great work.

ND for life!
    Go Irish!

16. keelio19 - Oct 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Dicksman: “! I wouldn’t blame Davonte if he wanted to transfer next year”

Are you serious, he’s a freshman, he’s found the field on an 8-0 #3 team in the country, very rarely do Freshmen see the field in the first place. So to assume he would transfer, is crazy talk. Kelly has talked about the issues with punt return, injuries have a lot of players out on special teams that wouldn’t typically be playing on returns, so Kelly’s playing the ‘Better safe than sorry’ approach. Davonte took almost a month after NSD to decide where he was going, I’m pretty sure he’s a solid ND player. And are you telling me you don’t think he’s going to see more playing time next year when Goodman (Doesn’t play a lot now but one other WR off the depth chart), TJ, and Toma are off to better pastures. With your mentality, Chris Brown is going to leave too, with Golson missing him on open routes, and with him only having that one big catch against OKLA, ‘I’m sure his mindset is to transfer too’.

I’m not seeing Pitt being an issue at all, this game is going to turn into the Miami game, Pitt may put together one good drive, but we end up running up and down the field on Pitt. Our oline (Golic especially) seemed to have turned the corner last week at OKLA. If we were able to create 3 foot wide holes for Wood against OKLA, we should be able to double that against Pitt. Their dline is extremely undersized, and they don’t have the speed to keep up with any of our offensive stars (Golson, Wood, Daniels, Brown). We setup a perfect game plan against Pitt this weekend, run run run, play-action, run run run, play-action. It’s going to be a great game for some youngsters to get in on.

ND- 38
    Pitt-3

• ibleedirish - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Where is TJ going?

17. joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Keith Arnold: “And the ’93 defeat, a portion of this football team wasn’t alive for it.”

JoeSchu: “Damn, I’m old.”

We must have the most hard-headed fan base in the country. Let’ me try this slowly so people get it:
    The coach has said that he’d rather play it safe vs. the fake and simply fair-catch the ball to safely take possession. This is more valuable to him than setting up a return. With this defense, he’s confident that the only thing that can hurt this team is giving someone a short field in a sudden-change scenario. He’d rather go 3-out and punt it back than take a chance on a muff or fake.

This is now a well known strategy that he has stated several times. Whether Goodman or Neal is back there, please stop blaming the return guy. Schematically, we’ve decided not to return punts. Possession is more important than field position.

So far, it seems to be working just fine.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

joeschu
      You’re correct, that is what he said. He also said “we don’t have the athletes to block the gunners”

First, how many fake punts do you see every season? Maybe 1? 2? It’s like standing in the batters box and on a 3-2 pitch guarding against a knuckle ball.

Second, does anybody REALLY believe ND doesn’t have the athletes to block a couple gunners? They’re 8-0. They’ve beaten UM, MSU, BYU and OU. And they don’t have the athletes to block gunners? I don’t know what’s going on here but I just don’t buy that.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

To block in space, you have to put a superior athlete out there. With all our injuries at DB (typically used to block gunners and match that athleticism), I’d presume we’re not putting top-flite db material out there on PR.

Think about it… we’re thin at RB and and DB, so who do you put out there that can 1:1 block in space? Our depth seems to be in the lines and at LB, not guys who can block in space. Which skill position has the depth to play that role?

The issue in our punt safe schema isn’t the gunners, it is pressure up the gut. Since our “safe” setup requires everyone to read fake first, they basically get beat downfield at every position, not just the gunners.

People hate it, but continuing to complain (and blame the return man) is pointless.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

BTW… I wasn’t the thumbs down there… not sure what that’s all about. I think this is a good discussion, even if it is pointless ;-) I don’t think BK is reading.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Other than dickasman who was just goofing around, I don’t see anyone blaming Neal. I certainly don’t. Everytime he catches the ball he’s got 4 guys waiting to cream him.

• dmacirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM

i think that tommy rees should start at quarterback. oh wait, i’m sorry is this the wrong comment section.

[sits still wondering if nudeman will respond]

• ndfaithful - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’m with you Nude, I’m not buying it. My personal opinion is that there just isn’t a specific special teams coach and they haven’t got it covered yet.

Seriously – you, me, or anyone here could get in the way of those guys better than the Irish special teams have done.

I’m a big fan of BK, but I don’t think the special teams unit is prepared properly when it comes to punt returns.

• gtizzo - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I”m not sold either Nudeman. I wonder maybe he has fumble issues? I don’t see why you send out Neal out there anyone can call a fair catch.

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

DMAC – Hahahaa… let’s get out the pitchforks!

Nude – Don’t make me fire up the way back machine and bring back all the nasty/snarky posts about “FC Goodman” (not from you specifically, but they’re certainly out there).

Faithful: I don’t think that it is lack of a coach so much as lack of players to coach in the return game. We’re not risking injury, and we don’t have the depth, so on punt return, we’re not risking the fake, turnover or (frequent) blocking penalties that come with setting up a return. With no depth at RB and DB, who do you want out there? I think it is WAY more about strategy and personnel than dedicated special teams coaching.

Gitzzo: If Neal does have ball security issues, it may explain why we haven’t seen him in the offensive game plan since week 1. I don’t think, however, it has anything to do with our lack of PR’s. If you don’t block, it don’t matter, your FC’ing everything.

18. irish1958 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I am not sure what Kelly means by his “call and haul” statement. His main praise of Tommy is that he gets us out of bad plays and he doesn’t trust EG to do this.
    What does he want?

• joeschu - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I think there are many plays/situations where you want to “take what the defense gives you” and exploit a matchup. Those situations require reads by both the line and skill positions, they also require checks led by the C and QB.

There are other times where you want to dictate play and the call that comes from the sideline/booth is based on the opponent’s personnel grouping, field position, and/or game situation. The attitude there is to dictate play by running what you call and imposing your will on the defense.

Like any good coach, BK has both situations, and his beef is that when Everett gets a “call and haul” play, he wants more pace in the offense and a better sense of urgency. I could see where those sound like conflicting statements, but there are clearly 2 types of calls, and BK wants the appropriate reaction to either set of circumstances.

19. psmyth1nd2011 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Are you an idiot? You honestly think the way he speaks has anything to do with not being able to speak English?

Kid is camera shy, it’s obvious. Most people are. Ever watch interviews of average people on TV? They get tongue-tied all the time. Doesn’t mean they can’t speak the language.

I would love to see you get in front of fifty reporters and TV cameras. See how articulate you are.

• bernhtp - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

dickasman makes the obvious (and not racist) point that Everett is not good or comfortable in his public speaking role. This is not uncommon. I made the same point during the summer before Everett officially won the starting job. I suggested that he be tutored in public speaking given that the QB or ND will spend considerable time speaking on camera. It’s amazing what a couple of days with a speech coach and camera can do, especially in excising his copious uhs, you knows, and things like that. He ultimately needs to find time for this, but I’m fine with him focusing on football for now and being (mostly) off camera.

20. irishking - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I would love to see ND set opponents on fire with a good return specialist.

21. bearcatirishfan - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Nude i appreciate a dark humors and riffing on stereotypes, he’ll Dave chapelle made a lot of money on it. Unfortunately, we have all become a society of PC hall monitors except the former don’t run in the hall has become let me video tape your behavior post it online and let everyone else tell you how bad you are. Didn’t we all used to make fun of the nerds that were the hall monitors.

Keep it coming dickasman, you got two fans.

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Well said.

These ppl expressing “SHOCK!!” at what he wrote … are they the same ones who call up the President of NBC after Eddie Murphy did a Buckwheat skit on SNL? Or was that OK because it wasn’t on a sacred ND board?

Seriously, there is damn near zero edginess here; it’s a very clean board and respectful about 99% of the time. Everybody needs to relax.

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Agree compared to any ESPN (ugh) board. But we are ND; shouldn’t we aspire to better and set the standard?

• nudeman - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

“We” are just a bunch of people who post on a board about ND football.
        “We” are not ND.

This is all for entertainment sake and to pass time.

• alsatiannd - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM

OK, if we all accept your premise that a football board is an appropriate place to use racial humor, and dickasman accepts our premise that he’s terrible at it, will he do this community the kindly favor of stopping? He’s not Dave Chapelle, Howard Stern, or even Oliver Wendell Holmes.

It’s not a PC question, it’s a question of whether he’s good at it or not. And he’s not. He’s terrible at it. I imagine if he tried it at open mike night he’d get a room full of crickets and a lone and loud “You suck!”

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Nude,
      I appreciate the humor of the vast majority of the posts and I have enjoyed your posts for the past few years. However, my folks taught me better than to make racial slurs, and my education at ND reinforced those values. There are visitors from other fan bases to this website, and they will associate you with ND. I just feel that I wouldn’t put anything on the internet that I wouldn’t say to a man’s face.

22. ndnphx - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The philosophy not to emphasize punt returns this year is what it is. Our defense has backstopped all sorts of inadequacies this year. The offense is finally catching on, and I’m confident that eventually the punt return situation will, too.

That said, there are 113 teams in Division One who rank ahead of us in punt returns and have somehow figured it out to a greater degree than us, schemes or personnel or whatever.

• notredameirish1980 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I think you also have to consider BK’s remarks about special teams and walkons. He basically called out some of his scholarship players for not stepping up and asserting themselves so that they can contribute on special teams. We need a few more like Cam McDaniels.

23. ndfaithful - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’m from the Pittsburgh area and have been enjoying the local talk about the upcoming trip to South Bend. The locals here are really noticing the Irish defense. In particular, they know Louis Nix by name and spent a big chunk of time today talking about how he is unblockable. I loved it. They also pointed out that Nix probably makes Manti look even better than his is on his own. Though, they didn’t disrespect Manti by saying it. They referred to him as the beast prowling the center of the Irish defense and said it was obvious that he’s a very special player and presence. They didn’t think much of our offense and thought we just lived off the defense.

News from the front…

GO IRISH!!!

24. dmacirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

dangit again, i give up.

25. dmacirish - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM

dangit again. i give up. i sware it would have been funny if placed correctly.