The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Boston College

Nov 11, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT

Notre Dame v Boston College Getty Images

In a season filled with workmanlike effort and bottom-line results, Saturday night’s 21-6 victory fits in nicely with a recurring theme this season. Notre Dame, up to No. 3 in the polls after an Alabama loss, continued its march towards immortality, picking up its tenth victory and doing so in a manner befitting of this football team: Nothing flashy.

And don’t expect Brian Kelly to apologize for it. If you thought he was disappointed in his team’s peformance, think again. The Irish head coach moved his own team up to No. 1 on his coaches poll ballot.

“The distinction of this football team is it’s the No. 1 scoring defense in the country. We’ve proven that against very good teams all year,” Kelly said Sunday. “That’s why we feel strongly our football team has put itself in the discussion. We’ll let others decide, but we’ve put ourselves in the discussion.”

As the Irish spend the week preparing for their final home game of the season against Wake Forest, let’s run through the good, the bad, and the ugly of Notre Dame’s 21-6 victory over Boston College.

THE GOOD

Everett Golson. Another road game, another nice performance for Golson, who looked firmly in control of the offense as he calmly piloted the ship. Golson had an efficient game that showed up on the stat sheet, completing 16 of 24 passes for 200 yards and two touchdown passes. He also ran the ball for a score, picking up 39 yards on 11 carries, including a clutch third down conversion.

“I’m really pleased with the quarterback play,” Kelly said after the game. “Everett Golson played the way he needs to play, especially in the red zone. I said once he starts playing at the level that we need him in the red zone, we’ll start scoring touchdowns and not field goals.”

Golson showed the arm strength, mobility, and presence that has so many people excited about his future in South Bend. More importantly, he made progress on the field, continuing to prove that this isn’t just a developmental exercise.

On the road against an opponent that threw the kitchen sink at the Irish, Golson was the rock of the offense, especially considering the Irish running game was the cause of Notre Dame’s two turnovers.

Prince Shembo. Boston College tried to take Stephon Tuitt out of the pass rush game. That left Shembo in a lot of one-on-one match-ups, and the junior terrorized the Eagles, racking up three sacks, four total tackles-for-loss, and a fumble recovery.

Shembo has turned into the Irish’s edge rusher extraoridinare, playing the ‘Cat’ linebacker position in a way Darius Fleming could not, and holding up wonderfully in both the run and pass game. At 6-2, 250-pounds, Shembo isn’t the ideal size for the Irish defense, but he’s remarkably tough in the trenches, and plays with a relentless energy that makes him one of the toughest match-ups on the team.

“Prince got a lot of one-on-one opportunities,” Kelly said after the game. “I don’t want to take anything away from Prince. He played great football tonight. But the way it went tonight was that somebody else had to step up, based upon the way they protected.”

Shembo certainly did that. Earning the game ball for his fine effort.

Third Down conversions. Entering the game converting 45 percent of their third downs, the Irish were incredibly efficient on third down, moving the chains on their first ten opportunities, and finishing the game 11 of 14. It’s a nice step forward for the Irish offense, and a credit to the work Golson did Saturday night propelling the Irish offense.

“We did a nice job on third down,” Kelly said. “I think our quarterback play was really good. One of the best plays I think he’s had is when he put his foot in the ground, ran north to south. We were effective tonight because our quarterback play was effective tonight.”

Red Zone conversions. The Irish came into the game a dreadful 114th in the country in converting red zone opportunities into touchdowns. Tasked with improving that number throughout the practice week, Notre Dame took a huge step forward, getting seven points all three times the Irish got inside the Boston College twenty-yard line.

“Everett Golson played the way he needs to play, especially in the red zone,” Kelly said.

First quarter defense. It’s pretty amazing what the Irish are doing on defense in the first quarter, keeping opponents out of the end zone for the eleventh straight time, dating back to Stanford late last season. The Irish have blanked seven of their 10 opponents this year, with only Miami, Oklahoma and Pitt able to kick field goals.

Want a recipe for success? Stop teams from starting quickly.

Brian Kelly. With a 10-0 start, Kelly joins Rockne, Leahy, Ara and Holtz as the only head coaches to reach double-digit victories to start a season. Mighty impressive cohorts for a guy some stubbornly still think isn’t cut out for this job. As noted by FunkDoctorSpock, the 26 wins over the last three seasons are the most over a three-year span since 1993-1995. And a win next week would match the total from 1992-1994, the end of the last golden era of Irish football.

The Irish head coach deserves every mention he gets for coach of the year awards. Scary considering he’ll have a much better team (on paper) coming back next season.

THE BAD

Davaris Daniels’ broken collarbone. As hinted at last night, Brian Kelly confirmed that the Irish have lost Daniels for the rest of the regular season.

“This will be a temporary setback for him,” Kelly said Sunday. “We’ll have him out three, three-and-a-half weeks where he’ll start running and non-contact. He’ll be ready to impact our team in the postseason.”

The injury comes at a tough time for the redshirt freshman, the Irish’s best downfield threat at wide receiver and a talented athlete coming into his own at the position.

“We think he was making really good progress, learning how to play the positon, learning how to practice,” Kelly said. “He’s made really good progress. This is a temporary setback for him.”

The injury opens the door for John Goodman to step back into the receiving rotation, with the fifth-year senior finally healthy after some back issues. Goodman seized his opportunity, catching a long touchdown pass from Golson across the field, his second deep connection with Golson on the season.

Running back fumbles. A week after Cierre Wood laid the football on the ground at the worst possible time, Theo Riddick and George Atkinson got in on the act, each losing a fumble to Boston College’s defense. After no running back lost a fumble in the season’s first eight games, all three of the primary contributors have lost one the past two weeks.

THE UGLY

Prince Shembo might have earned the game ball. Now he’s just got to learn the words to the fight song. Certainly not his best effort.

1. dickasman - Nov 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

FIRST!

2. dickasman - Nov 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’m sorry but I’d like see more playing time from Rihanna puncher. Goodman is like that kid keeps flunking 8th grade over and over. Hes had his chances and has not really proven himself. I like the guy and I’m sure hed make a great doctor or lawyer but great 3rd receiver, not.

• jimbasil - Nov 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

John Goodman: 4 receptions = 77yds. = 2 TD’s (one a one handed grab while being hit)
      you sans the man.

• dickasman - Nov 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

One game Against 2-7 bc team, ok all is forgotten.

• bernhtp - Nov 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Two of Goodman’s catches were huge: the long TD catch in the MSU game and the grab of the 3rd down Rees wobbly floater in the comeback drive against Purdue. He’s been injured much of the year. He’s probably a bit of a step down relative to a rising Daniels, but will fill in fine.

• ndfaithful - Nov 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I see this one a little differently.

Granted, Goodman may not be a star or even a heralded starter, but the guy has really played well and done what ND has asked him too. It’s not just the BC game where he had good stats. The guy kept the game-winning drive alive against Purdue, made a SportsCenter catch to get us rolling against Michigan State, then lit up BC for another touchdown when he got his chance.

I’m a fan.

• 1historian - Nov 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM

he’s good but he’s not as good as the underclassmen behind him so he gets limited playing time.

• joeblk10 - Nov 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Oh look, dick has nothing but bad things to say again. I’m sure we are all in shock over this. Your life must really suck to be such a pessimist….

3. Jennifer - Nov 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

The Good: Brian Kelly ranked his ND Team #1 for the first time in the Coaches Poll. Can only imagine how great that moment was for the coach, his staff and especially his team. This group has earned that ranking! The Bad and The Ugly can wait for another week. ND coaches, players and fans are allowed their moment to bask in “The Good.”

• bernhtp - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Unfortunately if you look at the AP poll and the first place votes, apparently Kelly was the only one given that Notre Dame only had one first place vote.

• bernhtp - Nov 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Woops – got the press poll instead of the coaches poll.

4. domer77blowsgoats - Nov 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

THE UGLY: everyone bitching and complaining about style points of an UNDEFEATED team!!

We were never going to have OU style so doing it for one or two games means nothing. Keep winning and it will take care of itself.

Did I say we are undefeated?????!!!!!

• bernhtp - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I agree. It seems that the posting fan base is conditioned to complain regardless of circumstance.

We barely beat BC last year. They loaded up the box against Tommy and throttled him. This year we led out of the box and never looked back. The game outcome was never in doubt.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

bern and domer, I, for one, never complained about the result, but I will say that I wasn’t all that particularly…what’s a good word…overjoyed. After the game, I compared our team to the Spanish national soccer team. They’re unbeatable, but they play a rather boring and often ugly brand of soccer. When it comes to football, that’s us, and I’m perfectly fine with that. Never complained about that, and still won’t. Winning ugly is still winning, no matter how many turnovers you have or passing yards you give up.

But I will say that there is a difference between complaining about a performance and not being thrilled about a performance, and I just hope you guys aren’t mixing complaining with a lack of elation. Think of it like chess. If you win an ugly game of chess against Bobby Fischer, that’s certainly something worth bragging about. But if you’re talking about a workmanlike victory over your 10-year-old niece, that isn’t really a cause for celebration. You won’t complain about it, but you won’t gloat either.

Frankly, I thought our performance against BC was much better than it was against Pitt. I loved what I saw out of Golson. Plus, the receivers are looking solid, and our redzone D is back to being dominant. But, I thought there was an opportunity or two in the fourth quarter to put a final nail in the coffin. It would have been nice to see us put away a reeling opponent, but it’s no big deal. As you said, a win is a win.

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

NDG&B

Points well made

My only question is if 10-0 isn’t cause for elation what is?

No one predicted this based on any reasonable arguments and now that it’s a reality and we have a truly legit claim for #1, I’d day 90% of posts have a negative bias!!

So what would make people happy? drop 70 pts per game and pitch shutouts? How many times has that ever happened over an entire season in the history of the sport?

This is the 3rd occurrence of being 10-0 in 40 years!!! 40 freaking years and people are pissed our D gave up +300 yards while leading the NATION in scoring defense?

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

goat, when it comes to being 10-0, you’ll find nothing but wholehearted agreeance on my part. I’m more than elated that the Irish are 10-0. I still have to remind myself of that fact given where we were just a few years ago. I’m just hoping the ride continues.

I was just talking about the BC game as one entity. This isn’t the same Boston College program from the 90′s and aughts. When it comes to talent, either through recruiting or player development, Notre Dame completely outclasses BC. Comparatively speaking, we were the varsity, and they were the JV. When the talent disparity is that great, it shouldn’t be a case of winning, but what can we improve upon while still getting the win? On Saturday, Golson definitely took a step forward. With the other positions, meh…

• nudeman - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Memo to Fellatio With Farm Animals Guy:

1. Please note: Not everyone has the same opinion as you. That’s why this blog exists, so people can share an opinion and argue in a civil way. If you want a blog where everyone thinks exactly like you, go start your own site.

2. I must have missed the memo that appointed you as the Board Monitor. If someone posts something you don’t like, maybe DEAL WITH IT. And just once try NOT responding like an angry little man who sees neighborhood kids on his lawn. In other words, grow the F*** up

3. BC was 2-7 going into this game. ND was 9-0. BC was ranked near the bottom in about 5 different FBS categories. Was it really unreasonable to be disappointed that ND didn’t blow them out? Rhetorical question: Don’t want your answer.

4. Are you really as miserable as you seem? Monitoring everyone’s post, giving sh** to everyone with whom you disagree? Seriously, they have meds for jerks like you. If you take them you’d still be a jerk, but maybe slightly muted.

5. HEY – there’s some kids on your lawn! Go get your bullhorn and shotgun.

6. FOAD. If you were twice as smart, you’d still be a dumbbell.

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Memo to Nude

1. You are mature beyond ur years, FOAD? Well played sir well played, not a hypocrite at all

2. Dumbell. Ouch I’m telling Mom

3. Jerk. Stellar!!

4. Show me where I wasn’t civil above. I asked a couple of general questions as to why this fan base, or more accurately, the majority of those that post, focus on not hanging 70 on BC instead of being 10-0 which happens less than 10% of the time in the sports entire history for the most accomplished team in the sports history?

5. Glad to see ur CRTL C CRTL P keys still work, two kids on lawn references in one post!! Amazing prose!!

• nudeman - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Memo to Fellatio With Farm Animals Clown:

I’d call you a “turd in the punch bowl” but don’t want to insult turds.

5. notredameirish1980 - Nov 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ugly= Brent Musberger calling the BC coach ‘Coach Spaz’ all night long.

• mikemcmack - Nov 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Brent also called Riddick a wide receiver, and called number 7 “Steven” Tuitt. Good old Steve!
      As for Herbie, he sounded pretty damn appreciative, overall, of what the Irish are putting together. Great to see so many of the INFORMED skeptics coming around to the fact that it’s really hard to argue with 10 and 0. (But not IMPOSSIBLE to so argue, as I’m sure the chronic malcontents will show us as these comments pile up.)

• North of Denver - Nov 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Musberger reminds me of that creepy reporter from Die Hard and all its sequels. I wish Bruce Willis’ wife would break into his stall and taser him.

• ndfaithful - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You might argue the Nix getting ejected was kind of ugly too.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

i’ve always loved Brent’s poetic calls, but it seems that his mind is beginning to fail him a bit. He continually messes up on yardlines, first downs, player names, etc. etc. I know i heard at least one “Golston” in last nights game.

I love him yesterday, just not today….and i’d rather not see him wear out his welcome like the ultra annoying Chris Berman or the slightly delusional John Madden.

I always hated Keith Jackson’s bias, but he was entitled to his opinion. At least he got the facts right.

• 9irish - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Keith Jackson…a legend, but sooooo west coast. My dad hated him..this was back when ND was only on TV about 2 times a year. “Yeah…well, your ass sucks canal water, Jackson!”

I just hope they pummel USC in a violent fashion

Go Irish

• mtb1996 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I swear I heard Musberger call Brian Kelly “John Kelly” at one point. I would have to go back and rewatch the game to be sure of it. But I know I heard another “Golston”. How is it that he doesn’t know the names of the players of one of the only 3 undefeated teams left in the country?!?!

• papadec - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

mtb – like many “experts” – not doing his pre-game homework & age onset….?

6. dudeacow - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I predicted this game 23-6. I also predicted the OU game 35-17. I am predicting the USC game 28945-0.
    Did anyone else notice that Herbie spoke with a Boston accent every time he said ‘Boston College?’

• bernhtp - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Herbie knows the game well and I often learn something from his analysis, which is in stark contrast to most other commentators.

• 9irish - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Completely agree. Herbstreit is the most level headed one there, just gives his honest opinion. Most of the others (Mark May) just feel obligated to pick a side for the shock value. I can deal with most of them, but alot of them definitely have a bone to pick with Notre Dame, for whatever reason.

We still have Lou Holtz…he would pick the Irish to beat the Green Bay Packers!

• 9irish - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

and Hannah Storm..and Mike Golic. It’s more Domer there than you think.

• bernhtp - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hannah never wears her Notre Dame pedigree. I think she likes to appear objective. Golic is another story. He’s great. I really loved his full-segment rant last week about the Irish not getting the respect they deserve.

7. canadianirish - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’m not one to usually bitch and cry about the polls……I believe things will work themselves out, but here is my ugly…..
    In both the coaches and the Harris poll, there are 10+ people who appear to have ND ranked 4th or worse…..in the Harris, someone even voted Bama #1 after they barely survived at LSU and then lost to TAM at home……

• mikemcmack - Nov 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

That Alabama voter probably also thinks Romney won the U.S. prez poll.

• papadec - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM

canadian – and that’s why the voting should be open to the public for scrutiny. I’d bet that the SEC coaches understand the value & importance of voting for the teams in their conference higher than those outside their conference. How else does the Computer Poll have ND & KSt #1 & #2 across the board?

8. mmcss690 - Nov 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I think the college football community is too wrapped up in “style points”. ND goes on long, slow, clock-eating drives. They are not quick strike. And the ND defense prevents opponents from being quick strike. That’s what works, defense shuts down opponents and offense eats clock while putting points on the board. I’d like to see Oregon try to put up 60 on our defense….not gonna happen!

• oldestguard - Nov 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

…and that my friend will be the rest of the story come January 7th down in Miami !

9. ndfaithful - Nov 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I was traveling last night and missed the live broadcast. I read most of the comments on the ’5 things’ article before watching the game. I also saw some media commentary about us lulling BC to sleep and failing to impress people. I expected to see a lackluster game in which Golson looked like a freshman again and the OL/DL (which took a lot of heat) only held their own.

Boy, was I glad I actually WATCHED the game, because I’m quite sure a lot of people here and in the media didn’t. I saw an ND team score TD’s on three of their first four possessions. I saw EG play like a seasoned vet with electric skills. Throwing for nearly 200 yards on his first four possessions, going 10/10 on 3rd down conversions, and running and passing at will behind a strong performance by the offensive line. The only blemish thru nearly three quarters was a fumble after marching 58 yards.

And the defense, that supposedly had a ‘bad day’ by a lot of reports, held BC to 3 points during all this. Then I saw ND get conservative and milk the clock, stop throwing the ball much, and let their defense smash the remaining hopes of BC. I don’t get the ‘bad day’ comments for the OL/DL or the defense. I never felt like BC would score. The ND defense is just mean and nasty once you get inside the 20.

I know it wasn’t flashy, but calling it a bad day for anyone seems like a bunch of whining. Aside from two fumbles, ND played a great game. They even got 26 yards per return in the kick returns.

So the Irish won by 15 against a lackluster BC team. Only two other teams have beaten BC by 15 or more this year (Florida State and Georgia Tech). This all happened on a day when:

Alabama lost at home.
    Kansas State beat a lackluster TCU team by 13 (one report actually said they ‘blew out TCU’
    Oregon clobbered another lackluster team (as bad as BC)

Why was Alabama ranked ahead of us anyway? From anything anybody saw in 2012? I don’t think so.
    Oregon’s good. But I’m not convinced they’re great. How many TD’s have they given up? to who?!!
    Why is K-State ranked a head of us? Hmmm, let’s compare common opponents:

ND beat OU by 17, K-State won by 15.
    ND beat Miami by 38, K-State won by 39

I’m not too worried. We’ve played most of our tough games. Let K-State and Oregon try it now.

GO IRISH!

• oldestguard - Nov 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Refreshing post !

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Great post. Finally someone gets it. No need for any criticism or gratuitous TR bashing! Well done faithful

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Care to run NDs PR program in Bristol?

• ibleedirish - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

amazing post. finally someone who understands football, thats articulate enough to write it down. the only reason KState is ahead of us now, is because they were in the preseason polls. End of argument.

10. NotreDan - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Here’s where I’m at… we are just winning, and I love it. I’m riding this train to 12 – 0. Everything else will take care of itself.

11. dutch31 - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Great post NDfaithful. One correction. K St only beat OU by 5 points.

• ndfaithful - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

oh yes, great catch. I was looking them up on another site and must have fat-fingered it. ESPN would call it a 24-19 blowout for the Wildcats. ;)

12. mikemcmack - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If the Irish go 12-0 and still don’t make it to Miami (which is highly unlikely, given the rocky road ahead for both KSU and OR), I hope they get ALA or GA or LSU or FL or SC or A&M or who-effin’-ever from the overrated-this-year SEC in their bowl game.
    Seventeen points will win such a game. Maybe handily. Think about it.
    Who has a better defense than the Fighting Irish?
    Is Golson getting better with every game?
    Has Kelly been wrong about anything of consequence this year?
    Have team chemistry, confidence, and cojones been this good since way back in the 20th century?
    What if a KSU v. OR “championship” game ended up, say, 52- 41, and ND beat ALA by, say 17-6? What then?
    I know: if, if, if. Just havin’ fun here. But what do y’all think about ND vs. the SEC these days?

• seadomer - Nov 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’m in. Respect the teams in the SEC but can’t stand SEC only fans.

This Brad Edwards BCS analyst dude is pissing me off with his projected ND’s opponent … Nebraska.
      Really!!! Respect the big Red but not this year, they don’t deserve to play ND.

I like BAMA or any one loss SEC team vs ND, it would almost shadow the NC game if we don;t get there.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I’ve gotta agree with you, the CFB world would learn alot more about ND and their opponent if we were matched up against one of those teams in the top 5-6. However, if I remember correctly, the bowls get to choose their teams in a specific order that rotates annually (if their automatic tie-in teams go to the NC game), and as we all know, ND is the MOST attractive draw for any bowl game. So, if it plays out like the Brad Edwards’ of the world say it will, the Rose Bowl loses Oregon, giving them the right to choose anyone to fill that spot.

All of that being said, I think there’s a better than 50% chance that Oregon wins out, but I’m very interested in seeing what happens when they get punched in the mouth by Stanford’s defense. When you look at the national rankings for Defense, they haven’t faced a team ranked in the top 35 yet and Stanford ranks 12th, with Oregon State ranking 23rd.

Oregon scores roughly 2X what their opponent allows..Here’s the numbers

Arkansas State is ranked 62 allowing 27 per game and the Ducks scored 57
        Fresno State is ranked 37 allowing 23 per game and the Ducks scored 42
        Arizona is ranked 103 allowing 35 per game and the Ducks scored 49
        Washington State is ranked 95 allowing 33 per game and the Ducks scored 51
        Washington is ranked 53 allowing 25 per game and the Ducks scored 52
        Arizona State is ranked 47 allowing 25 per game and the Ducks scored 43
        Colorado is ranked 120 allowing 47 per game and the Ducks scored 70
        USC is ranked 40 allowing 24 per game and the Ducks scored 62
        California is ranked 86 allowing 30 per game and the Ducks scored 59
        Stanford is ranked 12 allowing 17 per game and the Ducks scored ?
        Oregon St. is ranked 23 allowing 19 per game and the Ducks scored ?

• papadec - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

seadomer – is Brad Edwards the analyst that played for Georgia, and then one year in the Pros (maybe Cinn)? hmmmmmmmm……………

• c4evr - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Whoa Nelly! Hold on there Mikemcmack – looks like you’ll get your wish since the next 6 teams behind Notre Dame are from the SEC. No need to speculate about a bowl yet, ND has to get past the Trojan bowl. We’ll be able to see first hand how the Irish stack up against Barkley and his weapons of mass distribution. They will give the secondary the test of the season since this game means so much too Kiffin. First they beat SC, then we can talk about a Sugar Bowl matchup with the other SC…or LSU, or ‘A&M, or etc.
      Personally, I’d like more than ever to see a flashback ND/’Bama bowl game like ’73 and ’74.

13. millersirish1986 - Nov 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

The ugly….david pollack on bcs countdown asking who the irish have dominated, my god a week of squeaking past a highly motivated pitt team and not blowing out but dominating a bc team that had their season wrapped ip in 1 game…how the forget blowing out oklahoma and a miami team that was suppose to give us fits with their speed, even a navy team that had our number a few years ago..ohh and turning mich st season on their head…done watching espns biased opinions…they dont want to believe but will soon find out just how for real they are…..GO IRISH!!!

• papadec - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

espn has been heralding the SEC for so long that they can’t stop now – without looking foolish. One of their biased analysts actually said on the BCS show today (something to the effect) that lsu (with two losses) is better than & could beat any of the three undefeated teams. espn is the emperor wearing a new set of clothes.

14. yaketyyacc - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:49 AM

looking ahead, you may get what you wish for, and then wish you had two more wishes. I believe the IRISH are as good as any team in the country, and being totally biased, they are my no 1 team.
    we still have two games to play. we could lose to Wake Forest,only if hell freezes over.
    USC rubbed salt on the wound of their last year’s victory, by calling us losers, quitters and giver uppers. seems they got what they wished for, three times over.
    I would not feel bad, not playing in the National Championship game, but ending up 13-0 and no 2.
    THE IRISH ARE COMING!

15. norcalirish - Nov 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM

dudeacow, lol! Hilarious.

ND is THE solid choice for number 1 right now if you just look at the body of work. NDfaithful put it well.

I just got done re-watching the game and boy, is it sure different watching it while knowing the outcome already. I was way more calm and could actually analyze what was going on a bit more, and I have to say I’m now convinced that BK flipped on cruise control after we got to 21. I honestly think we’re saving up for sc.

16. drdannddad - Nov 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Those Irish Connection videos are really well-done. Of course, they are even more entertaining when the team is 10-0.

17. irishking - Nov 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I am delighted that Everett Golson has made the progress he has this season. There is no doubt now that he can lead the offense, extend plays with his feet, and take off running for needed yardage when the opportunity arises. And he can also throw the football and hit his target. Golson has had to grow up fast and he did. Coach Kelly obviously knew what he was doing when he stuck with Golson.

Very much looking forward to a national championship game with Notre Dame in it. Need to start packing my Florida gear and get ready for Miami.

Hallelujah!!! ND is back.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Nov 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I like the way he is progressing but he still misses some obvious reads, which I guess is to be expected from a RS Freshman. As was pointed out by Herbie when Golson was facing a corner blitz from his left, he’s got to recognize that and realize coverage was either soft or non-existent to that side, enabling him to throw an easy pass for the first down. He failed to recognize that and tucked the ball and ran. He did get the first down, but it was hard fought and wasn’t a “given” that he could run for it. Once he begins to click, he’s going to be really good. He needs work on his timing also because I notice a lot of balls being behind the receiver. There was one play against BC where the the BC defense had vacated the middle of the field. Golson completed the pass but if he had just led the receiver (forget who) a little more, it was 6 pts. If he just gets a smidge better in timing, accuracy and reading blitzes, he could be one of the greats.

• irishking - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

jerseyshorefan1
        You are right. Golson is still a ‘work in progress’ and when all the work is finished, he will be a standout.

18. runners00 - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The good: being unbeaten with a first-year quarterback and first-year corners. It shows how great our defense is and how effective Golson is.

The bad: BC smack talking as time wound down.

The ugly: Oregon’s nonconference schedule. To think it can leapfrog us with that kind of weak schedule is terrible. It shows how college football is a rigged game.

That said, we only can control certain things. Let’s take out Wake next weekend and handle the Trojans in a couple of weeks. Go Irish!

19. dutch31 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Alright, it’s time for someone to explain to me how ND gets left out of the National Championship game if both Kansas St and Oregon win out?

Oregon I will concede deserves to be in the Championship, if they win out, they will have beaten Stanford, won at Oregon St and likely beaten USC twice. Plus I consider the PAC 12 the 2nd best conference, from top to bottom
    Throw in a National Championship appearance 2 years ago and a Rose bowl victory last year, they have a top 5 resume coming into the season. Oregon deserves to be there.

But Kansas St I just can’t understand. What is even more troubling is that not one analyst, on espn places them in the top 2! Not one! All you hear about is the Pitt game, the Purdue game, BC game, close wins at home. Never hear anything bad about K St. Such as the 35-21 win over North Texas, 27-21 win over Iowa St, or the 23-10 win over a TCU playing a majority of the game with a 3rd string qb. K St has gotten nothing but accolades for that underwhelming performance.

The common opponent of Oklahoma, well they out gained K St 390 to 360, and but for 3 turnovers would have won the football game. Now everyone leading up to Oklahoma week for ND was saying how great Oklahoma was playing, took some time for QB to gel with his receivers, how Ok had its best defense in years, etc, etc. As a result Oklahoma was a 2 TD favorite. But when ND beat them 30-13 in what was a physical beat down, then everyone was wrong, Oklahoma wasn’t any good! Not ND is a great team. God forbid anyone give credit to the Irish

How can every voter, every coach, every analyst, look at these two teams and all of them say K St is clearly better?Well at least the computers agree with me that Note Dame is a better team. Can someone please explain to me how every coach, every Harris voter, and all analysts can look objectively at each teams body of work and not one of them seem to see it my way???

I will await those more knowledgeable then me to respond. Go Irish!!

• mtb1996 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

No one should respond with anything more than, “Huh?” Because it doesn’t make sense. Posters on here have made more than a reasonable case for the ND being ranked higher than Kansas State. I maybe think it might be a pitty party for a K. State cinderella season since they have never won a national championship before and for their coach who turned that program around from a true embarrassment to a decent even great program. I’ve waited 19 years since the 1993 season to be in this position again and I think I will be devastated if we go undefeated and don’t get in the NC game.

• mikemcmack - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

That might be it…beloved old non-threatening KSU coach Snyder is 73 years old, so let’s give him a lifetime achievement award at the expense of the definitely NOT non-threatening Irish.
        Reminds me of ’93, when beloved old Bobby Bowden whined and begged and mush-mouthed his way to number #1, at the expense of an Irish team that had whipped his FSU ass STRAIGHT UP in the pentultimate week of the regular season, but lost in the last second the next week to Boston (R.I.P.) College.
        Not to suggest that Bill Snyder is anything less than a class act. He’ll never beg for it like Bowden did.
        But it is what it is. I still think it’s all good.
        “Patience, and shuffle the cards.”

20. irish2011 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Does Kstate have a conference champ game? If so who?

• dbldmr - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Don’t think so…only 10 teams in the league. No championship game.

21. deaconjack - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM

An object lesson

Ten Reasons Why I Swear

1. It pleases mother so much.

2. It is a fine mark of manliness.

3. It proves I have self control.

4. It indicates how clearly my mind operates.

5. It makes my conversation so pleasing to everybody.

6. It leaves no doubt in anyone’s mind as to my good breeding.

7. It impresses people that I have more than ordinary education.

8. It is and unmistakable sign or culture and refinement.

9. It makes me a very desirable personality among women and children and in respectable society.

10. It is my way of honoring God who said, “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

This blog would so much better if it was cleaned up by everyone.

• ibleedirish - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Umm, ok. Moving on…

22. nchdomer - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

The post by ndfaithful was a very good analysis. There is no reason for ND to be ranked below Oregon or K-State except for personal bias. All voting is flawed with personal opinion. Even the computers are biased – the programing is someone’s subjective opinion as to what criteria matters most in determining what team is best. And the “eye test” is a joke – something one of the ESPN talking heads came up with to justify their scripted ND bashing. The reality is that ND has disappointed for so long, we no longer get the benefit of the doubt we did in days past. But make no mistake, we matter again. That is why ABC/ESPN put ND on in primetime again on Saturday nite despite the fact that the ND v BC game had to be viewed as a no-contest game. One would think ND has a second network deal with ABC.

So why does ESPN have its not-so-expert experts always criticizing ND and talking up a K-State team that has, as its only claim to fame, less impressive wins over the same teams ND has beaten? It sure can’t be its national following or its non-conference schedule. When in doubt, always follow the money. The NC game gets the ratings no matter who plays. The other bowls, even the venerable Rose Bowl, depend on an attractive match-up to get viewers (both in the stadium and on TV) to watch what is nothing more than an exhibition game. I would not be surprised if the bowl game that gets ND this year has ratings very close to the NC game (assuming ND does not make that game). ESPN wins when it bashes ND, especially when ND keeps winning. It is not about the purity of college football or the race to crown a true national champion. It is about money. And there is a lot of money in being critical of ND, especially when we are very good. You get the faithful, like us, that watch and you also get those who hate us, which seems to be the bigger crowd. It’s win-win from a network audience standpoint.

Regardless, this is a marvelous ND team that gets better each game it plays. I really enjoy being engaged again in the outcome of ND games. The years of watching the team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (like Northwestern has been doing all season this year) made ND games the afterthought to a campus visit. Nice to see ND back to being ND.