IBG: Thanks for the memories

Nov 15, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT

ibg_nokelly3

We can spend tomorrow and Saturday listening to Boyz II Men and getting out the yearbooks and hankies, but it’s been a good run for the Notre Dame senior class. Led by All-Americans Manti Te’o and Tyler Eifert, this class fought its way through some pretty horrific times and led a resurgence that has made this football season probably the most enjoyable of my years following Notre Dame.

As we roll into this week’s Irish Blogger Gathering, I strapped Bayou Irish from HLS with a few questions focusing on the senior class, and then threw a BCS rankings question his way to make things even more interesting. For more pressing queries, I answered some questions over at the Strong and True blog, while Subway Domer and Her Loyal Sons did that sort of thing as well.

Here’s Bayou Irish on the hot seat.

***

1) It’s Senior Day. Give me the ten most important seniors on this football team and tell me why.

Just ten, Keith? In no particular order: Te’o, Eifert, Watt, Riddick, Martin, Fox, Calabrese, Motta, Toma and Turk. I don’t know that Te’o isn’t the most important player we’ve had in a decade or more. While his story is still being written, I don’t think it would be a stretch arguing that he’s as important a “get” for the Irish as hiring Brian Kelly. To my mind, you’ve got to go back to Rocket to conjure as iconic a player as Number Five. Moving on, Eifert’s an obvious first rounder and his ability to challenge a defense as a threat or as a blocker is really extraordinary. As a New Orleanian, I can’t help but enjoy the blurred line between watching Tyler on Saturday and Jimmy Graham on Sunday. I think Tyler’s in that mold of the Graham/Gronk hybrid-TE we’re seeing in the NFL. And by hybrid, I mean half-man, half-superman. Watt and Martin are rocks on the O-line and so much of this team’s success is built on the line, as with any successful team. I don’t know how much credit to give Zeke Motta alone for the better-than-expected secondary play, but I’m giving him enough. Dan Fox and Carlo Calabrese are noteworthy in at linebacker – I think Carlo had every reason in the world to throw in the towel a number of times and he didn’t. Turk and Toma round out the list – Toma Time is something that I don’t think took off the way it maybe could have, but he’s an exciting player and we’re going to miss having him around.

2) It’s easy just to say “Haters gonna hate.” But diagnose why Notre Dame is the de facto No. 3 team of the unbeatens.

I think any diagnosis that focuses on objective data puts us 1 or 2, so you need to get into the b.s. subjectivity of the dreaded “eye test” and then you make the case that teams that compete for the National Championship don’t eek out wins over Purdue and Pitt and should put up a ton of points on B.C. We crushed Navy (in Ireland), Miami (in Chicago) and Oklahoma (in Norman), but we have the #91 scoring offense, which doesn’t compare favorably to Oregon or K-State, but the only scoring comparison that compares favorably to Oregon is Wilt Chamberlin. You know, we started off the season “unranked,” so there’s that aspect of it, too. This question becomes different on Sunday if we do hang 50 on Wake while holding them to zero as a number of their bloggers think is likely, for what’s that worth.

3) Take Manti Te’o and Tyler Eifert out of the equation. What senior will the Irish miss most next year? Of the fifth-year candidates, who do the Irish absolutely need to have back?

Zack Martin. As you know, Keith, and as most of your readers know, I played left tackle for Morrissey Manor when we ran the table in interhall in 1993. What we had on the Manor and what the Irish have today is a stud at left tackle is the point I am driving at. You keep the QB clean and very good things happen. Zack’s given up one sack all season – and as today’s Washington Post points out, that came on the second play against Navy. Zack moves people and I’m a proponent having leadership and cohesion on the lines. If he wants to stay, BK should roll the red carpet out for him.

1. yogihilt - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM

A lot of emotion will pour out Saturday.. hope NBC up to the task to capture college football’s story of the year. Go Irish, congrats seniors

2. dudeacow - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I like at the end how he worked in him being a great left tackle.

3. dickasman - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I like Martin because he was able to crack a joke about the jumbotron.

4. domer77blowsgoats - Nov 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Completely agree about the T’eo and Rocket comparison – these gents are once every other generation type individuals that transcend merely playing a game for our enjoyment!

• nudeman - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM

And why wouldn’t you?
      You’re more susceptible to hype than anyone else here

So worthless … Again, I’ll pay you to go away. Name your price

You are still smarting from being the last kid picked for pickup baseball
      Except for those times you weren’t picked, period
      You didn’t get laid until you were 29, and then had to pay for it
      You have crooked teeth, but don’t know it
      Your B.O. is your best quality

And these are your good qualities

You are … the LEAST interesting/most insufferable man in the world

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM

not interested in the personality conflict here, but what did he say that rubbed you the wrong way? just an ad hominem attack because he’s “susceptible to hype?” why not save all the insults for when someone posts something genuinely offensive?

• domer77blowsgoats - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

dude these aren’t even in the least bit funny/amusing/creative – they flat out suck actually – we expect sooo much more!!

• nudeman - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM

And btw, how is UAW?

• kansasirish - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM

On a side note did anybody catch Dayne Christ going out for the coin toss for OT?

Thought he was going into the game…….nope just a captin. Sad end to what should have been a great college career. :(

He just never got it!! Still a great ND Man!

5. smurphdoggy29 - Nov 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Love the Seniors going to be emotional but definitely can’t miss TV !

“Son, we live in a world that has computers, and those computers have to be programmed by men with pocket protectors. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Arnold ? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Kansas State, and you curse the Irish. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Kansas State’s success, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that Oregon’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to an audience who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very entertainment I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a ballot, and stand to post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!”

GO Irish !
    Repent Deacons Repent !
    Keep the Faith !
    Thank you SO much Seniors !

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

pretty sure i just read this entire post with my best raspy Jack Nicholson voice…then i did it a second time to try and improve…

LOVE THE CREATIVITY!!

• 9irish - Nov 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Did I just read your entire post? You’re Goddamned right I did!!!!

Go Irish

• kapnd73 - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Ha, great stuff – love it!

6. ajw21 - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM

nude, domer, and anyone else involved in this petty fued. Meet up and fight it out or hug it out but the petty not very funny insults can stop. Lets talk football. Disagree all you want but your 20+ older adults. The insults get annoying. Lets talk only ND & football. I am sure I am not the only one getting sick of your back & forth. Both of you contribute and make good points when talking football. The End.
    Go Irish!

• nudeman - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Agree
      Don’t blame me
      He comes here to pick fights
      Apparently has little else going on in his putrid life

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Nude,

In restrospect (at least a brief restrospect to the top of these comments) Domer made a comment regarding the article and then you blasted him, prompting a bit of a WTF moment in my head.

This certainly isn’t a popularity contest, but take a brief gander at the number of people that shunned your comments.

PERSPECTIVE would suggest that you are the instigator in this case and people are tiring of YOUR antics with respect to Domer.

He has the right to be himself, but don’t let him dictate who YOU are. Cause that’s exactly what’s happening right now.

7. dermmite - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Dudes, I Cant believe how many times wordpress has to give me my password. Anyways, just a thought while my wife is bickering to me about my 4:20 (and my 5 oclock somewhere drink) breaks, I start to ponder that for like 8 of of the last ten years I thought we would win at leat ten games a year. Dudes I hope I am completely off base this year about my ten win prediction.

8. 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Perhaps not mentioned enough when talking about the greatness of this Senior Class is #24, Chris Salvi.

A moment to be remembered; start at 1:05, where 5-10,180 lb., where Salvi takes out BOTH #33 (Jeremy Langford (5-11 205 lbs.) and #34 (Taiwan Jones 6-3 234 lbs.) like they were bowling pins, springing GAIII for the TD.

Just one of the hard nosed special teams plays this kid has made over the years. Just imagine how much blood and guts this kid has left out on the practice field and that no one has ever seen, other than the coaches and players. Like all the others, this kid deserves a huge ovation when he’s announced tomorrow.

9. sfspider - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Have to disagree with listing Turk as a “top 10 senior.” His carrer punt avg is under 40 and as a senior he is averaging a whopping 40.7 yards, which is good for 83rd in the country. Although he might be “important” in the sense that he has a large impact on the game, I question the difficultly the team will face in replacing his on field performance.