It’s official: Notre Dame is No. 1

Nov 18, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT

GraceNumber1

After the craziest night of football in five years, both the Associated Press and the Coaches poll have made it official: Notre Dame is No. 1.

The Irish were a unanimous choice top the AP Top 25, garnering all 60 first place votes. Rounding out the top five are Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oregon.

In the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Irish received 56 of 59 first place votes, with No. 2 Alabama getting two and No. 3 Georgia receiving a single first place vote. (According to USA Today, the Irish received a second, a third, and a fourth place vote.) Oregon is No. 4 and Florida State is No. 5, a big swing from the AP voters who have the Seminoles at No. 10. Kansas State fell to 7th in the AP and 8th in the Coaches Poll.

USC, who stand between the Irish and the BCS Championship game on January 7th, is now unranked after losing to UCLA, their fourth defeat of the season.

I’ll give you a dollar if you predicted that in August.

1. badgerbuck - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Ndirish10 just asking where they will play their bowl game if they lose,and yes I would love if wisconsin would take you guys on but according to Alvarez you don’t seem to want to

2. c4evr - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The Irish must win against Troy for no other reason than to avoid another all SEC championship game!!

3. runners00 - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I was in a college dorm in Mobile, Alabama, the last time it was Monday and Notre Dame was number 1 in an AP poll. Incredible!

So, here we go. USC week is here. It’s got a special meaning this year, but USC week is absolutely here. We’ve got to continue what Stanford, Oregon, Arizona and UCLA did to the Trojans. We’ve got to go out, have some fun in the Colliseum and dominate the USC Trojans. And to do that, we need our offensive line to stand up big and create some running room for our quick backs, Theo Riddick and Cierre Wood. That’s the key to the ball game. If we generate some room for Riddick and Wood, we win this thing.

4. irish4me - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Been an Irish fan since as my mother used to say, “I was knee high to a grasshopper”. I’ve seen undefeated ND teams lose to USC in 1964 up 17 – 0 at half and lose 21 -17, saw them get beaten in 1989 after 11-0 start by Miami 27 -10. This stuff happens, I’ve witnessed it. Team needs to be business like and VERY serious. No fumbles, no stupid penalties. Yes I’m celebrating like all of you, I love Notre Dame Football and all the University stands for. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, let’s celebrate this Saturday at 11pm EST after Title is secured. Go Irish beat the crap out of USC.

• SportsPinhead - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

There’s way too much Irish hype, just because they “were” BCS number one for a couple weeks due to other teams who knocked off the leaders–Texas A&M and Baylor. I’m going to go way out on the line and predict USC will either scare the H…out of Notre Dame or beat them by two touchdowns. Notre Dame has had far too many close ones for me to accept that they’re the best. https://sites.google.com/site/basketballfootballbaseball/

5. palestinianterrorist - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

if ND and bama want to show some huevos have them come over here and hold their game in Gaza, until then, no respect

6. vicpaul - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Hey guys, let’s do our part for Manti and vote for him for Heisman. There’s no way I want to see Johnny football win this thing. Just go to this site and vote. EVERYDAY!!!!!

PS. Pass this along to everyone you know.

7. wisner74 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Don’t ND and Wisconsin have a couple of regular season games schedule within the next few years?