Nov 18, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
After the craziest night of football in five years, both the Associated Press and the Coaches poll have made it official: Notre Dame is No. 1.
The Irish were a unanimous choice top the AP Top 25, garnering all 60 first place votes. Rounding out the top five are Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oregon.
In the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Irish received 56 of 59 first place votes, with No. 2 Alabama getting two and No. 3 Georgia receiving a single first place vote. (According to USA Today, the Irish received a second, a third, and a fourth place vote.) Oregon is No. 4 and Florida State is No. 5, a big swing from the AP voters who have the Seminoles at No. 10. Kansas State fell to 7th in the AP and 8th in the Coaches Poll.
USC, who stand between the Irish and the BCS Championship game on January 7th, is now unranked after losing to UCLA, their fourth defeat of the season.
I’ll give you a dollar if you predicted that in August.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 129
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69