It’s official: Notre Dame is No. 1

Nov 18, 2012, 3:28 PM EST

GraceNumber1

After the craziest night of football in five years, both the Associated Press and the Coaches poll have made it official: Notre Dame is No. 1.

The Irish were a unanimous choice top the AP Top 25, garnering all 60 first place votes. Rounding out the top five are Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oregon.

In the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Irish received 56 of 59 first place votes, with No. 2 Alabama getting two and No. 3 Georgia receiving a single first place vote. (According to USA Today, the Irish received a second, a third, and a fourth place vote.) Oregon is No. 4 and Florida State is No. 5, a big swing from the AP voters who have the Seminoles at No. 10. Kansas State fell to 7th in the AP and 8th in the Coaches Poll.

USC, who stand between the Irish and the BCS Championship game on January 7th, is now unranked after losing to UCLA, their fourth defeat of the season.

I’ll give you a dollar if you predicted that in August.

1. ER Jedi - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I’d love to know which coach ranked the Irish 4th. Figure Georgia and Bama voted themselves #1, which could explain the 2nd and 3rd place vote for the Irish, but who’s the mystery coach putting them at 4th? Probably the same guy that gave Bama’ the second #1 vote.

• mikemcmack - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

If history is any guide…Steve Spurrier, the old Bawwwwl coach, is the culprit. Back when these votes were more public(when, somebody?), he routinely ranked the Irish 5-10 spots behind the curve.
      He’s still being pouty passive-agressive from when Grandmaster Lou outschemed his weaselly ass as a sizeable underdog n the ND v. FLA major bowl game back in the day(when, somebody? Shane Matthews was the FLA QB.)
      If ND wins out over USC and AL or GA, he’ll still vote the Irish number 3 or 4. One of these years(soon, I hope), he’ll get another chance to put his money where his mushmouth is.

• gatordomer - Nov 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

My money is on the ole ball coach. He is a true, card carrying, lifetime member of the ND hater cult.

I suspect he still has periodic flashbacks of Bettis going out of his way to run over Gator linebackers in the Sugar Bowl.

At least you always know where he stands though unlike another former Gator coach who wouldn’t take the ND job because he didn’t think ND could win anymore.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Spurrier=typical Klansman, Catholic hater. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his shorts.

• 9irish - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

gatordomer,
        You are correct, sir! I met him when he was at Bowling Green, and he pretty much said as much….it was too much work trying to find smart kids. Times are a changing. Still a good coach, just looking for instant gratification. Kelly really was the perfect fit.

2. aceinthehole12 - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

This is amazing. I’m biased every year picking ND to go 11-1 or 10-2 (even during the dreadful 2007 season) It’s actually nice to have picked them to do so well and them actually do it ! Still a lot of work ahead for this group…but I got a good feeling this time next week we’ll all be talking about booking hotels in Miami.

Go Irish !

• runners00 - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Shhh. Let’s take care of SC before we discuss where we’re staying in Miami.

• aceinthehole12 - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I know brother..I said “still a lot of work” just saying I like our chances ! Can’t wait for Saturday night !

3. dickasman - Nov 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Unbelievable.

4. idratherbeinsouthbend - Nov 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Keith,

You owe me a dollar. I predicted it and even put it in writing, but i gave it to a sasquatch riding a unicorn somewhere in the nice part of detroit. I swear….honest…..i did…….really.

5. mtflsmitty - Nov 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I was expecting 9-3 and hoping for 10-2. Was hoping for consistent progress toward excellence. We have achieved so much more.

What a great day for the seniors! Most committed weeks after the dismal 2007 season. Congrats to them.

• 1historian - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

If this group is graduating after 4 years they played in 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012, which means they committed in Feb. 2009 after the 2008 season.

6. irishking - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I did not even Notre Dame to be in this position at the start of the season but here they are. Hopefully they will get to play Bear Bryant’s squad.

7. dickasman - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Well everything is playing out like I thought it would…we are playing bama in the championship game! I almost wish we could play Florida state so we can avenge last years loss and shut up the coach Jumbo Idiott! Jumbo, shut your pie hole…you have bunch of 5 star sociology majors and criminals on your team and best you can do is top ten? You should be fired! Say hello to Ron Darby for me.

8. irishking - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I did not dream that ND would get this far.

9. c4evr - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

FINALLY… after all the speculation. Are they back? Or are they not? ND will get to play the best of the SEC (‘Bama or Georgia – Hopefully the Tide) in a winner take all game and settle the debate. I got out my commemorative ’73 championship 7UP bottle and am looking for tickets to Miami in January because last night is proof positive that this is a team of destiny. AND T’eo moved up 2 notches in the Heisman race over Barner and Klein. Only sorry Barkley won’t be on the field for retribution.

10. mikemcmack - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Raining on the parade a bit here, but I hope the players are not celebrating yet as much as y’allre and I am. Because the Trojans, I’m guessing, will be FEROCIOUS come Saturday. They have supreme talent(so we are told), and are on the verge of humiliation and scorn and shame for the 2012 season, and they will fight like hell to redeem themselves in the eyes of their fans…and their future agents and the NFL scouts. They will be Ferocious. For a while, anyway…
    We all pretty much thought back in September that this would be the acid test. It will be still.
    I keep wondering if KSU was feeling the warm fuzzies last Sunday, like ND nation is now, and if it osmosified to the team, because that KSU team sure did fall on their collective ass beyond prediction.
    On the other hand…I remember after the USC debacle last year when Matthew Montgomery Barkley and some of his O-line buddies opined to the press that the Irish had “quit” at some point.
    And I’m sure that quote has not been forgotten FOR A SINGLE DAY by anyone wearing the pads and helmets, although you won’t hear a whisper of it from BK or in the players’ tweets this week.
    And I’m thinking: we’ll see who has the underinflated balls THIS year.
    GO IRISH!!!

• irishbornraised - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Future? like they’d wait that long to be paid!

• nd42fn - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Half the teams they played this season they weren’t supposed to beat. Too much talent out manned out coached whatever ESPN could think of. But guess what. 11-0 and ONWARD TO VICTORY! Beat SC

• 9irish - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

All good points, and USC always gives me the creeps, too. I honestly think that ND will go in more pissed than they are and beat them….badly.

If not, if it’s a game, the Irish will still win…and we’ll all have to get blood pressure medicine on Monday.

USC is a historic nemesis…

Go Irish

11. nddan1 - Nov 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

i hope barkly has the balls to play sat. nite..cause i want the boys to lay the wood on his arse. this is more than a test for the irish, this is to getting a big monkey off our back!. heres to letting hollywood and the rest of the college football world know that theres a new sherrif in town and were taking all and any comers…….bring it baby

12. nddan1 - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

oh yes, no one has forgotten barklys big mouth after last years game, id like to hear prince and manti say that he was cowering or sniffling out on the feild, but this team has too much class to comment on someone when their down……so i will…..bite me barkley

13. earpaniac - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Fourth?!?!?!

14. ndirish10 - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

As someone had quoted during the week, “…in the end God will sort it all out.” Indeed HE has. Beat sc (demoralize them) and you will find yourself playing in the National Championship Game. The NC Game!!!! What a year this has been!!!

I was thinking selfishly during these past two weeks, if all three teams (KState, Oregon, ND) went undefeated I already had tickets lined up to see our beloved Irish play in the Rose Bowl. Now I will watch them from the comfort of my home in Monrovia, CA, with my 3 year old who every time he sees them yells, “GO IRISH” with a fist pump to the air.

Can’t wait for this Saturday at the Coliseum, then January 7th (2 days before my b-day). I’m also looking waaaayyyy ahead and looked up where the NC game will be played in 2014, in “The Grand Daddy Of Them All,” The Rose Bowl. In our backyard Keith!!

GO IRISH!!! BEAT THOSE trojans!!! ONWARD TO VICTORY!!!

15. papadec - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Keith – keep your dollar. Regarding usc – back around the beginning of the season, I posted that I hoped ND & usc would be undefeated playing each other for a trip to the NC game. Later in the season, I predicted that usc would have 5 losses (I think it was after their 3rd loss) looking @ still having to play ucla & ND. Back in March, I had my son bet $20 on ND to win the NC title (at 18-1) when he went to Vegas on Spring Break. The nudeman asked me to prove that – I posted the information on the ticket. It has been one helluva an exciting, nerve racking, season. Still a little hard to believe WE are so close. We may very well be a TEAM of DESTINY, this year. GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

• oldestguard - Nov 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

This is taking a path of destiny, is it not ?

You may not have won Keith’s buck – but I hope you will be able to get yourself a good steak and a nice bottle or two with those winnings to celebrate this season !

• papadec - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

oldest – If they win it all, and I get the money – it will be more like a side of beef & a case. In reality I’ll probably buy some special ND NC T-shirts for the kids & split whatever is leftover with them. GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

16. mannydomer61 - Nov 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Let the haters keep hating

17. mdirish - Nov 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

It’s been a magical season thus far and I’m certain that I know how every fan on the board felt last night. It was so much fun last night and no one from the office will be able to understand tomorrow because no one is as crazy of a fan as I am / we are. With that said everyone on this board can recall the pain they felt when this team has lost a big game (there have been many). I see comments that this team is so close to the National Championship now with just USC left. I don’t feel that way. I feel like we are 11/12th of the way up a mountain and the grade just increased by 50%. Yes the top is closer than it was yesterday at this time but the last 12th is always the most difficult. I am excited about being 11-0 and the fact that we’re going to be in at least a BCS bowl. I’m excited about the positive press coverage and the future of the program but I will not even think about the NC game until they Irish can beat USC. BK thought there was noise earlier this year….well this week will be like standing next to a jet engine. We’re about to see how this team handle what many teams haven’t been able to. SHAKE DOWN THE THUNDER and GO IRISH!!!

18. dudeacow - Nov 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I PREDICTED IT!! YOU OWE ME A DOL- oh wait, nevermind. I didn’t predict it….

aww….

19. nudeman - Nov 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM

No one saw ND at 11-0
    Best I can say is that i said 10-2 was more likely than 8-4
    Delighted to be wrong

• papadec - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

nude – I’m not posting that LUXOR ticket info again.

20. fitz79 - Nov 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Fighting Irish fans: we are 2 potential wins away from championship number 14! Ironically, we may get to beat Bama for the national title and break our tie with them at 13 championships. I would say more, but literally, I’m speechless… GO IRISH!

• irishbornraised - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Please, the way they’re counting they’ll be at 25 by next February!

21. yaketyyacc - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM

going back to the 60s, ND was ranked no 1. no bowl games then and like this weekened, to be National Champions, only USC stood in our way. a hard hitting,hard fought game. with little tiime left, we scored to take the lead by 1 point. kicked off to SC. nailed them on their 14 yard line and they had no time outs left, and 17 seconds on the clock in the fourth quarter. thr Irish fans were chanting we’re no 1, the coahes were smiling and shaking hands, the players were jumping up and down. hey, 17 seconds no time outs, on their 14 yard line. SC completed a 65 yard pass play, the receiver got out of bounds, with enough time for a long field goal. USC won, and we ended up 4th.
    oh,who ended up no 1. USC. they were ranked no 2. GOT YHE MESSAGE IRISH?

• papadec - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

yak – Good point. I think Kelly will have the team ready & focused right thru the last 17 seconds. Important note here – usc IS NOT #2, this time around!

22. badgerbuck - Nov 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM

If notre dame falls short next week what bowl game do they go to?

• ndirish10 - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM

badgerbuck,

Glass half empty huh? Are you the Debbie Downer/Negative Ned of your group? WAAH, WAah, waah. Are you a Badger fan? Were you hoping that they meet your Badgers in the Rose Bowl, if Oregon would have gone to the NC game? Irish would have beaten them too! GO IRISH!!!

23. irish4006 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

You owe me a $.

No, I didn’t predict 12-0 (I’m not crazy!), but I thought 10-2 was possible and would be a very good season, which was more than anyone else was giving us credit for. Some dude here even wanted to steal my stash of (now legal in my state) stuff…

I am in my thirties and my wife probably thinks I shouldn’t get this excited over something like “college football”… but I went to ND in the Bob Davie era, I think I earned the right to be ecstatic (after all I have been through)…

• irish4006 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM

And yes, I will be at the coliseum cheering on the Irish this Saturday…

24. norcalirish - Nov 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Gentlemen: focus on usc.

Kiffin doesn’t say a peep all year about injuries, then tells us Barkley is injured. I don’t buy it. Lies are this fool’s native tongue.

Also: for the first time in history a team with the highest Graduation Success Rate is also ranked #1 in the BCS. This is what we mean when we say:

WE

ARE

N

D

• notthatconfused - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I don’t trust Kiffen to ever tell the truth. The guy lies so much he doesn’t even know what the truth is.

That said, it’s really sad to see that Barkley “quit” before the game. ;)

25. alsatiannd - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Somewhere on these boards I said around Sep 1 that ND would be 10-2 and that USC would be an empty shell by the end of the year. I’ve also been known to call Kiffin an ass-hat. That’s gotta be worth at least $0.25.