Nov 22, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Hope we can all spend a little time with our families before the entire focus turns to the big game this weekend. Until then, I tried to throw my best at the Subway Domer for this week’s Irish Blogger Gathering, and he stepped up and took on all comers, not unlike a certain movie character that the ol’ SD channels.
For more IBG, remember to check our our partners in crime, Her Loyal Sons and Strong and True, where I answered some questions for Josh, who once again reminded me why I’ll never predict wins or losses in the preseason. (Makes me look smarter.)
Here goes nothing.
1. I’m sure there are a few cinematic parallels going through your head as the Irish get set to play their arch-nemesis Trojans for a chance at immortality. As a fellow movie lover, compare this match-up to a great movie, and then cast it for me.
(Manti Te’o is Superman, Marqise Lee is General Zod, Lane Kiffin is Miss Tessbacher, etc.)
Although I do often think of these games in a cinematic sense, it usually has more to do with the soundtracks of such movies. So this is, believe it or not, quite difficult for me. I guess I’ll just reach back into some “old faithful’s.” Aye. Braveheart it is.
“Here are Notre Dame’s terms. Lower your flags, and march straight back to Troy, stopping at every camera you pass by to beg forgiveness for 10 years of theft, rape, and murder. Do that and your men shall live. Do it not, and every one of you will die today.”
William Wallace: Brian Kelly
King Edward “Longshanks”: Monte Kiffin
Prince Edward: Lane Kiffin
Phillip: Max Wittek
Hamish: Stephon Tuitt
Stephen: Manti Te’o
Robert the Bruce: Kirk Herbstreit
Bobby Bruce’s Leper Dad: Brent Musburger
2. It was an absolute lovefest at Notre Dame Stadium last weekend, with the Irish crushing Wake Forest, the seniors getting a proper send off, and then Oregon and K-State losing to push Notre Dame to the top of the college football world. With the stars seemingly aligning, do you feel like this is a team of fate heading to Los Angeles? Or are you preconditioned to expect the absolute worst to happen?
The term, “Team of Destiny” has been embedded into my brain for quite a few weeks now. How could it not? Gone are the days of OMFGZ HERE WE GO AGAIN, or any of that other wussy type crap. This is BIG BOY football, and this is a BIG BOY football team. It really is hard to quantify the level of tunnel vision that I have for this game and this season. Every single moment that has been placed before this team that could have sent them tumbling down a wormhole of destruction, they have extended their fists and put up a finger. WHAT THOUGH THE ODDS INDEED.
Team of Destiny.
3. You and nine of your Notre Dame fan friends are watching Saturday’s game together when the ghost of Knute Rockne appears and tells you that you can guarantee an Irish victory on Saturday night with a cash donation. How much money is your group willing the shell out for the victory? What do you guys pay for a guaranteed victory over Alabama in the national title game?
My bank account LAUGHS at this question. Well, I’d tell Lane Kiffin to take off that god damn Rockne costume and get his own money to pay recruits. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough before… THIS IS A TEAM OF DESTINY! You can not buy your place in paradise with any amount of earthly possessions. For by GRACE you have been saved by FAITH.
Have faith Irish fans. Paradise is within reach. All you doubters- DOUBTING THOMAS! GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12