Nov 24, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Notre Dame is going to the national championship. No really. Notre Dame is going to the national championship.
It wasn’t pretty, but thanks to a hard-nosed effort by Theo Riddick and a gutty performance by Everett Golson, the Irish survived multiple scares by the Trojans and a vallant effort by redshirt freshman Max Wittek. But with the Trojans within nine points and down on the Irish one yard line, Notre Dame’s defense made a heroic goal line stand, keeping the Trojans out of the end zone for four plays and icing a victory with a stop that’ll be remembered for a long time.
Notre Dame won without their best, sputtering routinely in the red zone after moving the ball between the 20s for much of the evening. But on a Saturday where all eyes were on Notre Dame, the Irish exit the Coliseum with a clutch victory, and finish the regular season undefeated.
More to come later, but it’s going to be a special flight home for the Irish, who return to South Bend at 6:00 a.m.
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 0
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 44
- Irish A-to-Z: Jaylon Smith 15
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 133