Nov 24, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Notre Dame is going to the national championship. No really. Notre Dame is going to the national championship.
It wasn’t pretty, but thanks to a hard-nosed effort by Theo Riddick and a gutty performance by Everett Golson, the Irish survived multiple scares by the Trojans and a vallant effort by redshirt freshman Max Wittek. But with the Trojans within nine points and down on the Irish one yard line, Notre Dame’s defense made a heroic goal line stand, keeping the Trojans out of the end zone for four plays and icing a victory with a stop that’ll be remembered for a long time.
Notre Dame won without their best, sputtering routinely in the red zone after moving the ball between the 20s for much of the evening. But on a Saturday where all eyes were on Notre Dame, the Irish exit the Coliseum with a clutch victory, and finish the regular season undefeated.
More to come later, but it’s going to be a special flight home for the Irish, who return to South Bend at 6:00 a.m.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 63
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 108
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93